PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Cars

jcrod
10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like I'll need to buy a used car. My wife was in an accident and they'll probably total it.

Any suggestions on buying used cars. We going to buy a new one next month, but the one she wrecked we were planing on keeping.

Since I work from home, don't really need a new car for myself.

spurster
10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Think about buying a new one. They're desperate to get them off the lot.

CosmicCowboy
10-09-2008, 12:23 PM
E-Bay worked really well for me last time. I shopped for about a month till I finally stole exactly what I wanted...I bought an '06 Eddie Bauer Expedition under 30K miles still in warranty for $30,000 less than the original owner paid for it...

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Are you financing?

Do you know what kind of vehicle you want?

How's your credit?

How much do you plan to put down?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
where are you located?

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I would highly recommend avoiding any advice Viva gives.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I would highly recommend avoiding any advice Viva gives.
talk down to two women and call me in the morning.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
talk down to two women and call me in the morning.All I'm saying is that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You make idiotic statements and will likely hand out even worse advice.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
All I'm saying is that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You make idiotic statements and will likely hand out even worse advice.
remember the search function is my friend. i recall a certain thread that'll make you eat your words.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
remember the search function is my friend. i recall a certain thread that'll make you eat your words.My advice if I lend any will be a thousand times more productive than yours. I troll and make annoying little snaps here and there but I don't recall a time where I've handed out bad advice.

Search away and we can discuss this further.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
My advice if I lend any will be a thousand times more productive than yours. I troll and make annoying little snaps here and there but I don't recall a time where I've handed out bad advice.

Search away and we can discuss this further.

i wasn't referring to your financial advice.

i was referring to my prescription for you in order to get over yourself.

talk down to two women and call me in the morning.

10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Looks like I'll need to buy a used car. My wife was in an accident and they'll probably total it.

Any suggestions on buying used cars. We going to buy a new one next month, but the one she wrecked we were planing on keeping.

Since I work from home, don't really need a new car for myself.

Take the money they give you for the wrecked one and pay cash for a used.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Take the money they give you for the wrecked one and pay cash for a used.Assuming he didn't have a balance.

Don't tell them you're paying cash. Let them think you need financing.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
i wasn't referring to your financial advice.

i was referring to my prescription for you in order to get over yourself.Shockingly you make very little sense again.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Take the money they give you for the wrecked one and pay cash for a used.

Thats what I planned. I am getting a new vehicle also, next month. This one will be mine. We're trading in the other when we buy new.

Here in SA.

Does anybody know what value the insurance gives you? Trade in, private party, retail?

jcrod
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Assuming he didn't have a balance.

Don't tell them you're paying cash. Let them think you need financing.

No Balance. But should I try to stick with private or hit the lots?

10-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Private, if you can afford the time.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I saw a couple of good deals at a couple of lots. A little too cheap i think.

Whats the best route to check on used cars, car history that is?

Bender
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
never mind
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/usedcar1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/article2.htm&h=534&w=300&sz=32&hl=en&start=4&um=1&usg=__bgFVWILb3lSUmVbphd5PybS_oTo=&tbnid=T0B0L0VrNsJJxM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522used%2Bcars%2522%2B%252Bmovie%26 um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Cash vs. finance won't matter if you buy from an individual. Nothing wrong with hitting the lots there's a ton of vehicles out there to chose from. If you hit the lots absolutely don't let them think you're paying cash. The criteria for getting credit right now is thru the roof so they'll be more inclined to work a skinny deal in fear of it having issues in finance. Nothing kills a deal quicker than a customer finding out they have to put a large amount of money down because the salesperson tried to hit a home run on you and the banks need to close the gap of value vs. finance advance. Banks are not lending 15k at 0 down to a car with a value of 10k like they used to. That dealership is going to have to work the price down to a financable number. If you pay cash they'll try and nail you.

Go to NADA.com for values and just take the "average" retail price then subtract 10-15% to get a gauge on real value. Subtract 20% of "average" retail and that would be a target price. The .com is quite a bit higher than the dealer NADA books and definitely higher than the current market right now.

Goliadnative
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/)

AutoTrader (http://www.autotrader.com/)

You can search private sellers only. Maybe you can find a good deal without too much driving.

Also, some of the dealers provide free CarFax reports.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, makes since.

Does anyone know what the payout is on a totaled car. I'm waiting for a call back from my Insurance, just wondering before hand.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/)

AutoTrader (http://www.autotrader.com/)

You can search private sellers only. Maybe you can find a good deal without too much driving.

Also, some of the dealers provide free CarFax reports.

So Carfax the best route to check on car history? Should i bother with a separate inspection (lemon busters?) if the carfax reports comes back clean?

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Make sure if you do go private that the title is in their actual name because the title offices are getting very strict about transfers. Also go and pick up an "Application for Certificate of Title" form because the seller will have to sign that too. If the seller owes a balance on the vehicle don't pay the seller. Go in person or call the bank that has the note and pay them direct because they're the ones with the title.

One thing to consider about private sales is that you will have to pay tax on the value of the vehicle not the sale price. So if you find a 20k car for 14k you have to pay tax on the 20k value not the 14k purchase price. This is to avoid the old "birthday or gift" tax scam.

At a dealer you only pay tax on your purchase price so if you get a great deal you won't get the tax shaft.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
So Carfax the best route to check on car history? Should i bother with a separate inspection (lemon busters?) if the carfax reports comes back clean?Thats a personal choice but if you have a regular mechanic you know and trust I'd ask the dealer or the seller to take the vehicle over there for a good look. A dealership will gladly make the drive over to complete a sale.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
The only probably with trying to determine going market on a vehicle using autotrader is that 90% of whats listed is listed by a dealer and you have no idea what their fees are. One dealer may charge 500 for dealer prep while another doesn't it. When you shop you'll have to call and request a drive out price not a sale price.

Goliadnative
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Carfax would just be a starting point. It would help weed out the cars with major question marks. I've read where sometimes the reports are not complete. I would still do a separate inspection.

KIA just started a program of providing a lifetime warranty on the engine on their certified used vehicles. The owner just has to perform the scheduled maintenance. At least the one I dealt with up here in Dallas did.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Carfax would just be a starting point. It would help weed out the cars with major question marks. I've read where sometimes the reports are not complete. I would still do a separate inspection.

I've been told its pretty easy to manipulate a carfax but I'm not an expert on Carfax.

Anti.Hero
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
carfax is pointless.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Make sure if you do go private that the title is in their actual name because the title offices are getting very strict about transfers. Also go and pick up an "Application for Certificate of Title" form because the seller will have to sign that too. If the seller owes a balance on the vehicle don't pay the seller. Go in person or call the bank that has the note and pay them direct because they're the ones with the title.

One thing to consider about private sales is that you will have to pay tax on the value of the vehicle not the sale price. So if you find a 20k car for 14k you have to pay tax on the 20k value not the 14k purchase price. This is to avoid the old "birthday or gift" tax scam.

At a dealer you only pay tax on your purchase price so if you get a great deal you won't get the tax shaft.

Thanks for the info, if i can get a great deal it seems easier just to deal with the lot.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been told its pretty easy to manipulate a carfax but I'm not an expert on Carfax.

So is there some other report besides Carfax?

baseline bum
10-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Check both.

First, narrow down your search to 2 or 3 specific quality car models beforehand though, that way you can easily know exactly what is good and what the value of a car is when you talk to the seller. There's nothing worse than just showing up to a car lot to look around at a bunch of different models; you can't let the dealer's knowledge about the vehicle you're looking at dwarf yours.

Check consumer reports, check edmunds.com reviews, and get lots of information before nailing down the specific model(s) you're looking for.

Make sure if you buy from a private party that he really is one, and not someone posing as a private seller after buying the car at an auction (this is illegal in most states, and is often something dealers do when they get a car that's too much of a lemon to sell at their lot).

Make sure the car was never a rental or a company car, as no one's going to maintain these well.

Buy a 30-day Carfax unlimited account (it's like $30) and do not go to look at any advertised car until you get the Carfax on it first. For example, if you see the car has been driven in a coastal area or up north where there's lots of snow (and therefore salt on the roads), be extra vigilant looking for rust on it.

If the car checks out on Carfax, if the seller checks out as ok, then go ahead and test drive it. Get it out on the highway, take it to 80, see if you're comfortable with the steering, brakes, acceleration, etc.

If you like the test-drive and are getting a good deal, take it to a trusted mechanic to have it inspected. A car purchase is way too expensive to make unless it's almost at the level of a can't miss yes in your mind.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Good advice from baseline bum. Definitely narrow down your choices first. There is no shortage of guys buying at auctions for personal sale. The law states you can't do that more than 7 times a year or you're considered a dealer.

baseline bum
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
What are you expecting to spend on this car?

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
yeah, thats my problem. I'm all over the road on what type i want.

I'm really thinking of going with a big SUV (Sub, tahoe, Expedition) and then buying the new vehicle at a smaller scale maybe a crossover.

Or buying a used car (camry, altima type) and buying a new big SUV.

So i'm just checking craigslist and classifieds to get a feel on what i want to do.

BacktoBasics
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Classic car/trucks don't lose value. Most people are terrified of that kind of purchase but you should consider it.

You could land a kick ass 55 Chevy for under 20k

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
What are you expecting to spend on this car?

Not sure either, that all depends on how much Insurance pays out. Trade in is about 6,000 and Private is 8,000. Depending on what I get, i'll add a little.

jcrod
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Classic car/trucks don't lose value. Most people are terrified of that kind of purchase but you should consider it.

You could land a kick ass 55 Chevy for under 20k

Classic car is definitely in my plans down the road, just not now. Maybe in a couple of yrs, i'll decide if I want my classic car or boat. Wife also wants both eventually so its just depends.

Taco
10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
IF YOU DO BUY USED MAY I SUGGEST ........

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/05/02/085902.1-lg.png

I BROUGHT MY DAUGHTERS CAR, MY TRUCK AND MY WIFE'S VAN FROM THERE

http://www.carmax.com/

jaffies
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
B to B
Baseline
anyone really

Is carmax a good option?