PDA

View Full Version : open practice?

byrdman31
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
i know most of the other teams have had open practices, i read that spurs may have one 10/18 any truth to this?

any info would be great thanks.

T Park
10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
dunno if true but they are pretty worthless to go to

mfanatic
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
can anybody post more info about this please?

byrdman31
10-09-2008, 08:41 PM
why would it be worthless? its free get to see what they do behind the scenes. id be excited to watch:ihit

MrChug
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
why would it be worthless? its free get to see what they do behind the scenes. id be excited to watch:ihit

T Punk's a fuckface kid...don't listen to him, find out the info and go. I'll be there anyway.

T Park
10-09-2008, 08:56 PM

They show nothing at these things.

They do a few suicides.

Do some 3 man weave.

Shooting drills.

Thats it. Trust me, thats all, they are just glorified fan fests.

T Park
10-09-2008, 08:57 PM
T Punk's a fuckface kid...don't listen to him, find out the info and go. I'll be there anyway.

Do I know you?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
They show nothing at these things.

They do a few suicides.

Do some 3 man weave.

Shooting drills.

Thats it. Trust me, thats all, they are just glorified fan fests.

I've never seen them running suicides at these open practices. They usually do shooting drills, a couple weaves and then run a full court scrimmage. The scrimmage is usually better than a preseason game, which you are watching :lol

Kori Ellis
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
i know most of the other teams have had open practices, i read that spurs may have one 10/18 any truth to this?

any info would be great thanks.

I haven't seen any confirmation of that. The Spurs have a game that day, so I'm not sure if they would have it that particular day, but maybe.

T Park
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I've never seen them running suicides at these open practices. They usually do shooting drills, a couple weaves and then run a full court scrimmage. The scrimmage is usually better than a preseason game, which you are watching :lol

I remember going to one in 2000 and Pop having em do it.

MrChug
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Do I know you?

Probably better than you would like to know.

You posted 50,000 times on a website moron.

byrdman31
10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/

this is what i read. it says open practice, i dont know if its only if you buy the tickets but it does say OPEN practice... i hope

T Park
10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't know you.

Figured so.

DannyT
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
yes there is an open practice schedule for the 18th...at the base they were given away vouchers for the open practice

timvp
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Open practices are awesome. It's like a glimpse behind the curtain for hardcore fans.

Two memories off the top of my head:

1) Barry going nuts in the intrasquad scrimmage before his first season with the Spurs. He was hitting threes from everywhere and even mixed in a few highlight reel dunks. IIRC, he scored like half of his team's points.

2) Tony Parker dominating the scrimmage and then winning a team wide shooting contest prior to his rookie season. That was also the day David Robinson jumped on the Parker bandwagon and said he was going to be a great player. Still not sure how he won that shooting contest, though . . .

duncan228
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I'd love to live close enough to go.

T Park
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Open practices are awesome. It's like a glimpse behind the curtain for hardcore fans.

Two memories off the top of my head:

1) Barry going nuts in the intrasquad scrimmage before his first season with the Spurs. He was hitting threes from everywhere and even mixed in a few highlight reel dunks. IIRC, he scored like half of his team's points.2) Tony Parker dominating the scrimmage and then winning a team wide shooting contest prior to his rookie season. That was also the day David Robinson jumped on the Parker bandwagon and said he was going to be a great player. Still not sure how he won that shooting contest, though . . .

That goes to prove they are bogus....

spursintpe
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you have to have a voucher to go? Where do you get a voucher?

Avitus1
10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I'd love to check one of these out...

BOHOLANO#21
10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
yeah it's on the 18th. i have been to open practice three times before. it's fun watching the scrimmage. you get the chance to have autographed photos of the players etc...

byrdman31
10-11-2008, 02:38 PM
:wow:wow do i need a voucher? if so some body hook it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please:flag::downspin:

angel_luv
10-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I had a great time when I went to the 2004 open practice.

I was allowed in early which I was pumped about because I wanted to sit courtside which I did.

Turns out, I had been invited in to participate in a team meet and greet that had been planned for a handful of military families.
Since I was there so early, they let me go in as well.

I had so much fun. I got to speak with Romain Sato, Malik, Bruce, Gino, Sean Marks, and Sho and take pictures with them all too.
It was also my first opportunity to see Beno upclose and in person.

Great times. Go if you possibly can.
As has been said before, the scrimmage is fun to watch. :)

tlongII
10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I think they're cool.

Allanon
10-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I had a great time when I went to the 2004 open practice.

I was allowed in early which I was pumped about because I wanted to sit courtside which I did.

Turns out, I had been invited in to participate in a team meet and greet that had been planned for a handful of military families.
Since I was there so early, they let me go in as well.

I had so much fun. I got to speak with Romain Sato, Malik, Bruce, Gino, Sean Marks, and Sho and take pictures with them all too.
It was also my first opportunity to see Beno upclose and in person.

Great times. Go if you possibly can.
As has been said before, the scrimmage is fun to watch. :)

That's a cool story.

Open practices are usually pretty fun because they go out of their way to cater a bit to the fans. Real games are cool and all but this adds to the experience of being an NBA fan. Some of you may see players all the time but I never have outside of a basketball setting so I always think it's cool to meet players, no matter what team they're from.

DannyT
10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
i know its last minute...but I have an extra voucher that will get four people into the session tomorrow....it starts at 10 and doors open at 930///if you are interested pm me and you can meet me at the att center and I will give it to you....if you dont have four people let me know so more people from here can go

angelbelow
10-18-2008, 02:49 AM
i wish... i live in LA..

Avitus1
10-18-2008, 03:00 AM
How did you get your voucher? Just curious...

DannyT
10-18-2008, 08:12 AM
on base where I work at

Darkwaters
10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I just got back from the open practice. It was pretty cool. There was no scrimmage or anything though (likely because of the game tonight). Still, we got to sit really close to the court and watch them do their thing.

First they did some basic warm-ups by just dribbling around the court. Next they started running various plays in 3 different groups (1st team, second team, third team). I'll list the teams they used later. And at the end they broke into two groups and had some shooting competitions. The practice was maybe 35 minutes and then they broke for the day. Most of the players stuck around a while to sign autographs and just say hi. Duncan, Bowen, Tony, Bonner, Vaughn, Oberto and Finley were all over the place signing everything. Most of the rest of the guys went in pretty quickly.

When they ran their plays in the middle of practice here are the 3 teams they ran:

1st Team
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Bonner
Duncan

2nd Team
Vaughn
Mason
Udoka
Tolliver
Oberto

3rd Team
Stoudemire
Farmer
Hairston
Green
Thomas

After they ran a bunch of sets in those groups they started switching out who was in what group. But those are the groups that the vast majority of the sets were run with.

George Hill did not run any of the offensive sets. Instead he stood on the sideline next to an asst Coach and watched the whole time. He kept asking questions and was obviously having a conversation the whole time about what was going on on the court.

Watkins was nowhere to be seen. Was he cut?

Ginobili was present at practice but (obviously) did not work out.

Pop also made a comment on the microphone regarding Bonner saying, "Whos that redheaded guy? You're probably all wondering that. But you'll be seeing a lot more of him this year."

I noticed something interesting, Anthony Tolliver and Devin Green stood next to each other and talked for a good while. But while Tolliver is generally listed as 6'8 and Green at 6'7 it was obvious that Green was taller. Not much, but taller for sure.

During the offensive sets Hairston seemed to have quite a few mental lapses and had to be corrected by fellow teammates on several occasions. Meanwhile, Farmer received ovations from Pop on a couple occasions. Not sure what it means, but those two guys are probably fighting one another for a spot.

angel_luv
10-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Awesome report.

Which of the players did you most enjoy greeting?

duncan228
10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info Darkwaters. It sounds like it was fun. Did you bring a camera?

DannyT
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I will post pictures later....Farmer was hitting on his shots....and seemed to be in a good flow...the best part for me was when the team split into two groups and had the shooting comp....but that's about as competitive as it got....

duncan228
10-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I will post pictures later...

Thanks. :)

exstatic
10-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I just got back from the open practice. It was pretty cool. There was no scrimmage or anything though (likely because of the game tonight). Still, we got to sit really close to the court and watch them do their thing.

First they did some basic warm-ups by just dribbling around the court. Next they started running various plays in 3 different groups (1st team, second team, third team). I'll list the teams they used later. And at the end they broke into two groups and had some shooting competitions. The practice was maybe 35 minutes and then they broke for the day. Most of the players stuck around a while to sign autographs and just say hi. Duncan, Bowen, Tony, Bonner, Vaughn, Oberto and Finley were all over the place signing everything. Most of the rest of the guys went in pretty quickly.

When they ran their plays in the middle of practice here are the 3 teams they ran:

1st Team
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Bonner
Duncan

2nd Team
Vaughn
Mason
Udoka
Tolliver
Oberto

3rd Team
Stoudemire
Farmer
Hairston
Green
Thomas

After they ran a bunch of sets in those groups they started switching out who was in what group. But those are the groups that the vast majority of the sets were run with.

George Hill did not run any of the offensive sets. Instead he stood on the sideline next to an asst Coach and watched the whole time. He kept asking questions and was obviously having a conversation the whole time about what was going on on the court.

Pop also made a comment on the microphone regarding Bonner saying, "Whos that redheaded guy? You're probably all wondering that. But you'll be seeing a lot more of him this year."

I noticed something interesting, Anthony Tolliver and Devin Green stood next to each other and talked for a good while. But while Tolliver is generally listed as 6'8 and Green at 6'7 it was obvious that Green was taller. Not much, but taller for sure.

During the offensive sets Hairston seemed to have quite a few mental lapses and had to be corrected by fellow teammates on several occasions. Meanwhile, Farmer received ovations from Pop on a couple occasions. Not sure what it means, but those two guys are probably fighting one another for a spot.

If they're running only 15 players, they've probably made cuts. They were supposed to make them sometime today.

Darkwaters
10-18-2008, 12:11 PM
No, didn't bring a camera. I don't even have one here honestly (my suitcase only fits so much!).

I forgot to mention that Charles Gaines was present at practice. He rotated into a few of the offensive sets with the 3rd team but really wasn't involved much in that part. His jumper is nasty too. I don't like it at all.

angel,

Bowen was hilarious. He made some jokes about going to get us coffee and donuts and then looked in the direction of some of the rookies and implied that there were people better suited for the task.

Mason seemed nice but bounced out quickly.

Nobody really wanted Vaughn's autograph, but he stood on the court and had in depth conversations with anyone that wanted to say hi. He seemed very "real" in that setting.

I was trying to get to George, but he ran in almost instantly.

Allanon
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM

That was some really good stuff. I had not heard anything about Watkins but it's a bit odd that he wasn't there.

Green is taller than Tolliver? Devin Green used to be Kobe's backup at shooting guard so I guess Tolliver is shorter than I thought. If that's the case, he's more of a small forward/guard.

I liked Devin Green when he was a Laker, how'd he do at practice?

Bruno
10-18-2008, 01:33 PM
No Mahinmi ?

Darkwaters
10-18-2008, 02:31 PM
No Mahinmi ?

Mahinmi was there as well. He shot around a little before the practice but he did not partake in any drills. I think he sat next to Manu.

angel_luv
10-18-2008, 02:36 PM
angel,

Bowen was hilarious. He made some jokes about going to get us coffee and donuts and then looked in the direction of some of the rookies and implied that there were people better suited for the task.

Mason seemed nice but bounced out quickly.

Nobody really wanted Vaughn's autograph, but he stood on the court and had in depth conversations with anyone that wanted to say hi. He seemed very "real" in that setting.

I was trying to get to George, but he ran in almost instantly.

How fun! Thanks for sharing.

If I had gone I would have loved to have said hi to Timmy, Manu, and Bruce.
:)

ducks
10-18-2008, 02:58 PM
so mike ran with tp and parker
looks like mike will be the starter

exstatic
10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
so mike ran with tp and parker
looks like mike will be the starter

Uh, Bonner ran with them, too. KT was running with group C, and Oberto with group B, and I think those guys have a MUCH greater chance of starting than Bonner.

Bruno
10-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Mahinmi was there as well. He shot around a little before the practice but he did not partake in any drills. I think he sat next to Manu.

Thanks.

byrdman31
10-18-2008, 03:34 PM
i just got my voucher for next weekend! whoooooooo hooo

another meet and greet and practice

Darkwaters
10-18-2008, 05:01 PM
i just got my voucher for next weekend! whoooooooo hooo

another meet and greet and practice

Really? ANOTHER practice?

T Park
10-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Watkins got the ax.

Darkwaters
10-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Confirmed?

Obstructed_View
10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds like Watkins got the ax.

If he hasn't, it's just a matter of time. timvp was right; when Pop doesn't remember your name you're most likely just filling minutes in camp. The only reason he looked like an option is because Mahinmi has been out.

Ice009
10-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Mahinmi better fucking be a good defender and help protect that rim if they've cut Watkins.

If Watkins is gone that only leaves my other pick Farmer. If Pop was giving him ovations that's a good sign :).

I don't like the sound of seeing Bonner more this season though. What is Pop thinking on that one?

mystargtr34
10-18-2008, 07:43 PM

1st Team
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Bonner
Duncan

2nd Team
Vaughn
Mason
Udoka
Tolliver
Oberto

3rd Team
Stoudemire
Farmer
Hairston
Green
Thomas

That canbe decieving at times, if you look at the pre draft measurements Tolliver actually has good size, it should definately allow him to play the 4 next to Duncan and defend and rebound at NBA level.

Height w/o shoes - 6'7"
Height w/shoes - 6'8.5"
Wingspan - 7'2.5"
Standing Reach - 8'11.5"

Despite being a bit undersized for the 4 spot in terms of height, his long arms make up for that so he should have no problems at all.

Put that standing reach in to perspective

Al Horford 8'11"
Joakim Noah 8'10.5"

Devin Green im not sure about, but i doubt he is 6'9" in shoes.

DannyT
10-19-2008, 11:29 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6726.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6735.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6737.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6740.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6761.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6753.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6767.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6769.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6792.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6801.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6806.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6814.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6809.jpg

duncan228
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks so much for the pics!

Fermixalot
10-19-2008, 11:44 PM
great report, and thanks so much for the pics. btw, pop's beard seems to get more and more badass every time I see it.

I'm glad Farmer seems to have a chance at making the roster, I think he'd be a good energy guy to come in a and hit a few shots when the offense stagnates.

Spurs Brazil
10-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Nice pics

tlongII
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Cool pics. Popovich needs to shave!

byrdman31
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Cool pics. Popovich needs to shave!

:nope:ihit:loser

Shelly
10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/dt372001/DSCF6735.jpg

WTF? Phil Jackson was at open practice (the guy behind Tim)

Slomo
10-20-2008, 04:20 PM

WTF? Phil Jackson was at open practice (the guy behind Tim)

I think it's commendable that at his age he still wants to learn new things.

:p:

Obstructed_View
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Pop's beard looks good, but it definitely doesn't go with shorts.

manustarting2gd
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
So anymore info on the supposed next "open practice" and how I can get in, if it exists???? Hook a fellow poster up with the 411!