PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: Catching up with Brent Barry

Spurs Brazil
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Jeff McDonald: Catching up with Brent Barry
HOUSTON -- Brent Barry stood at the top of the 3-point arc in the Rockets' practice gym, knocking down 3-pointers like there was no tomorrow.

If it hadn't been for the logo on his practice jersey, the location of the gym we were in or the presence of a beard on his face, this could have been last season in San Antonio, and not this season in Houston.

For a sportswriter, any day you get a chance to talk to Barry -- who set an unofficial record last season by appearing the Sports Illustrated's quotable "They Said It" section three times -- is a good day.

I caught up with him after the Rockets' shootaround Thursday morning, hours before tipoff of tonight's preseason game against his old team, the Spurs, at Toyota Center.

We talked about his new life in Houston. We talked about a Pearl Jam concert at Madison Square Garden that Barry and a certain Spurs beat writer happened to attend separately in June. We talked about Hurricane Ike, which Barry dodged by hiding out in the home he still owns in San Antonio.

Eventually, talk turned to Barry's old team, and the Spurs' chances of remaining competitive despite the very real prospect of playing without leading scorer Manu Ginobili for the first month and a half.

Here is what Barry had to say:

"A lot of teams are thinking the good news is that Manu is out for a month and a half," Barry said. "Well, the bad news is he's going to be back in a month and a half. He's going to have a month and a half of rest, and a few hard weeks of conditioning, and he's going to be fresh for most of the season."

Barry is a Houston Rocket now, but he was with the Spurs for four seasons. As such, his take on his former team carries weight.

"There's no way with Coach Pop and Tony and Tim and all the experience that squad has that they're going to find themselves in a hole they can't get out of," Barry said. "It would be ridiculous to think that. I don't think anybody around the league is foolish enough to think there are going to be any problems in San Antonio this year."

A member of the Houston media asked for Barry's take on the difference between playing an actual preseason game, as the Rockets did Tuesday night against Memphis, and playing in an intrasquad scrimmage.

"It was much different, because Joey Dorsey was getting called for fouls," Barry cracked. "He got to see what it's like to finally get called for something."

Dorsey, the Rockets' bull of a rookie forward, has been a hit with the local media because of his say-anything loquaciousness. Everyone who's ever dealt with Dorsey has a Dorsey story, and Barry's comment gave me the opportunity to tell mine.

It happened at the Final Four in San Antonio two Marches ago. Dorsey, then at Memphis, was set to draw a defensive matchup against Ohio State 7-footer Greg Oden.

"It's going to be David and Goliath," Dorsey said then. "I'm Goliath."

When relayed this story, Barry seemed more than a little amused.

"I'm going to have to take Joey to the library," he said.

Quick injury update for tonight's preseason game ...

The Spurs will be without four players who did not make the trip due to various degrees of injury. Kurt Thomas (hamstring), Salim Stoudamire (groin), Ian Mahinmi (ankle) and Ginobili (ankle surgery) will all watch the game from the comfort of their own living room.

Translation: Expect a D-League game to eventually break out, as Popovich gives a large helping of minutes to a bunch of undrafted rookies.

The Rockets, meanwhile, will again play without All-Star Tracy McGrady, who is still recovering from offseason knee surgery.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/

xtremesteven33
10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I dont know if to love him or hate him now....bleh...im confused

Amuseddaysleeper
10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
No reason to hate Barry.

He's a class act :tu

xtremesteven33
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
No reason to hate Barry.

not hate that i wish death or despair upon him but hate in the sense that i hate what he did.......

BlackSwordsMan
10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Did you see barry get dunked on last night?

v2freak
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
not hate that i wish death or despair upon him but hate in the sense that i hate what he did.......

As far as I know, Spurs didn't want him. Even tried to trade him a couple times while he was here. I can't fault Barry for that.

xtremesteven33
10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
As far as I know, Spurs didn't want him. Even tried to trade him a couple times while he was here. I can't fault Barry for that.

From what ive heard, it was up to Barry wether to stay or go. i dont hate on him for what he did....hate is a strong what i guess that shouldnt be used.

its just weird seeing a former spurs fan favorite player playing for a division rival.....mixed emotions

I. Hustle
10-09-2008, 04:50 PM
So who is stepping in to do the HEB commercials? I say they should throw in Matt Bonner. That way he is actually helping the team fill a role.

Manufan909
10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Hell, he actually was signed away once.

duncan228
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
No reason to hate Barry.

I adore him. He made a business decision, I have no problem with that. I've read that the money wasn't too much different but that maybe there would be more minutes and a chance to make an impact on the team. He's quite attached to SA, he said he's not selling his home there.

I've been a fan of his since his Sonics days, I'll stay a fan. When the Spurs play the Rockets he's obviously wearing the wrong jersey for me. But other than those games I wish him the best.

He is a class act, a fine player, and a nice guy.

urunobili
10-09-2008, 05:50 PM
i am missing Brent already

T Park
10-09-2008, 05:56 PM
He chose the Rockets over the Spurs.

So fuck him.

The Truth #6
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
He chose the Rockets over the Spurs.

So fuck him.

That seems a bit harsh.

We made attempts to trade him several times. I can see why he wouldn't want to be stuck behind Finley for another year. I would have liked for him to come back but I can't hate him for making a logical choice to end his career on a team that will give him more playing time, and in a system that is better suited to his style.

exstatic
10-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Not true. Reading between the pouty lines of Finley's first interview, he didn't think he'd be back, and it was a surprise that he got an offer. Who do you think they would have wanted to keep instead? They were only going to keep one of Finley and Barry, and Barry bolted.

I don't think he left because of the aborted deadline deal a few years ago, or the obvious, cash included, c'mon back deal this spring. I think he saw an opportunity for playing time in H that he didn't see here.

timvp
10-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll especially like Barry if he plays against the Spurs how he played against the Sonics.

lurker23
10-09-2008, 06:53 PM

From what I've heard, they even succeeded at trading him once. :downspin:

benefactor
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
How can anyone hate Bones? He is one of the most likable guys on the planet. I wish him good luck in his new role up to the point where we send his team home in the playoffs. :tu

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I got no fight with Brent for his decision. Actually I was hoping Brent would stay and Finley would go. Anyway, Brent is a good guy and was a good fit for the Spurs while he was here. I wish him well in Houston - just not against us. I'm sure the lockerroom will not be the same. Certainly the championship celebrations wont.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I adore him. He made a business decision, I have no problem with that. I've read that the money wasn't too much different but that maybe there would be more minutes and a chance to make an impact on the team. He's quite attached to SA, he said he's not selling his home there.

I've been a fan of his since his Sonics days, I'll stay a fan. When the Spurs play the Rockets he's obviously wearing the wrong jersey for me. But other than those games I wish him the best.

He is a class act, a fine player, and a nice guy.

x2

There'll always be a place in my heart for the Mango Tree.

timtonymanu
10-10-2008, 02:13 AM
im gonna miss Brent! He played his butt off against the Lakers in 08. He actually played better than Ginobili. But i always liked him even when he played horrible at times.

milkyway21
10-10-2008, 02:58 AM
8 assts for Brent tonight as a Rocket...