PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden endorses Obama

Supergirl
10-10-2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Senator_Obama_is_getting_my_vote/167640

This actually seems to me to be big news - basketball players rarely endorse candidates. Has anyone else come out with their endorsement?

CubanMustGo
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
The day I care about an athlete endorsing a politician is the same day I make a bet based on who a politician says will win a national championship.

Supergirl
10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
The day I care about an athlete endorsing a politician is the same day I make a bet based on who a politician says will win a national championship.

I only care because he lives in one swing state (Oregon) and has ties to another (Ohio).

Also, because from a sociocultural perspective, I think it's interesting that so few athletes have taken political stands. Only Curt Schilling comes to mind, and that's a whole other sport.

j-6
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_endorsements#Athletes

Findog
10-10-2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Senator_Obama_is_getting_my_vote/167640

This actually seems to me to be big news - basketball players rarely endorse candidates. Has anyone else come out with their endorsement?

Wheelchair Guy endorsed Obama:

http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2008/10/fd-exclusive-wade-endorses-obama.html

Supergirl
10-10-2008, 12:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_endorsements#Athletes

Interesting. I haven't heard of practically any of those.

SpursWoman
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Big news? WTH? :wtf

Unless somehow ACORN got a hold of his information, his vote isn't worth any more than one of ours. :lol

What do you know about him, other than he's going to make millions of dollars playing a game, that would indicate that his opinion is any more or less informed as any of *ours* that you would hold so much significance to it? I mean, I know he looks old & wise ... but come on. :lol

People that use their celebrity to inflict their views and/or agenda on the less mentally abled of the population actually just piss me off. Whether Democrat or Republican.

Spurminator
10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
This actually seems to me to be big news

In other big news, did you hear Pau Gasol set a personal record on Guitar Hero?

T Park
10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Supergirl

did you forget the search function and see that he did this back in February?

Supergirl
10-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Supergirl

did you forget the search function and see that he did this back in February?

I was just out on Oregon last weekend and there was a story in the Oregonian about how he's campaigning for Obama. So he may have announced his support back in February (no, I didn't see that) but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks it's news now...

timvp
10-10-2008, 01:55 PM
If I'm going by endorsements by athletes, I'm be voting for McCain. David Robinson + Nolan Ryan >>>>>>>>>>> that whole list of athletes.

(That said, Pop makes Nbadan look like Yonivore)

MannyIsGod
10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Obama is making grounds with the senior vote.

George Gervin's Afro
10-10-2008, 02:57 PM
If I'm going by endorsements by athletes, I'm be voting for McCain. David Robinson + Nolan Ryan >>>>>>>>>>> that whole list of athletes.

Is Pop a lib?

timvp
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Is Pop a lib?Is water wet?

Buddy Holly
10-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I heard Charles Oakley endorsed Obama.

whottt
10-11-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm calling BS...the only thing I know is he made a contribution to Edwards campaign in 2004(I said Pop would regret endorsing a Democrat Malpractice Lawyer BTW and I'm sure he does now).

I bet Pop supports McCain in this election...Listening to a McCain debate or stump speech is exactly like trying to figure out Pop's substitutions. Exact same feeling. Plus they both have white hair. I could be wrong and Pop could ben anti-war vet and there are a few of those, but IMO, if he was one of those he would have endorsed Kerry right off the bat in 2004....not Edwards.

I think Pop, like most intelligent people is too smart to wholly identify with a political party....I bet he's a best candidate guy.

He didn't support Bush because Bush was an idiot...lots of military guys dislike Bush for that same reason. including many who still supported him...including McCain.

You have some sort of proof Pop is a lib?

Kamnik
10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
He didn't support Bush because Bush was an idiot...

wow!

i never expected you would say/admit that

even if it is clearly so...

Wild Cobra
10-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Dos anyone really care what a "Jail Blazer" says?

whottt
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
wow!

i never expected you would say/admit that

even if it is clearly so...

Dude...I've always said Bush was an idiot, even in 2004 as I was voting for him. I didn't vote for him because of his intelligence...sadly, he was an idiot and still the best candidate in 2004.

Wild Cobra
10-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Dude...I've always said Bush was an idiot, even in 2004 as I was voting for him. I didn't vote for him because of his intelligence...sadly, he was an idiot and still the best candidate in 2004.

That is pretty sad that preside Bush was the lesser of two evils, twice!

DarrinS
10-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Supergirl,

Why don't you just go ahead and post that 99% of the NBA endorses Obama, because that number is probably realistic based on the NBA demographic.

Shelly
10-11-2008, 08:47 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

Brangelina are supporting Obama

Nbadan
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I think this thread says more about the sad state of the NBA than about Obama or McCain...remember when people used to care who Yogi or Ruth endorsed?

....yep, the NBA has come a long way baby!

spurs1990
10-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Hold the phone, you're saying DRob has come out and is actively backing the Palin/McCain ticket????

Didn't realize he was in the tank for the conservative right. Pisshaww. :td

Tully365
10-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Celebrities-- including athletes like Oden-- are put in a strange position by the general public. If they don't talk about politics or social issues, there will be many that accuse them of being wealthy & selfish, uninterested in the ordinary people, etc... but when they do express an opinion, immediately there are those who say "why should I care what a celebrity or an athlete has to say?" Oden's not on a soapbox about this or acting like his opinion is more relevant or informed than anyone else's-- why shouldn't he, as a free American, express his thoughts on an important public subject?