PDA

View Full Version : Another Stimulus Package?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
http://letsgotribe.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/guillotine.gif

peewee's lovechild
10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
So, you would decline yours and send it back to the government based on principle, right?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2008, 03:19 PM
So, you would decline yours and send it back to the government based on principle, right?
jackass. that's not the point. where the hell is this money coming from? who else are we going to be more indebted to?

peewee's lovechild
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
jackass. that's not the point. where the hell is this money coming from? who else are we going to be more indebted to?

But, would you send the check back?

BacktoBasics
10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Feel free to step into that contraption Viva

boutons_
10-10-2008, 03:48 PM
the govt borrows the money by selling bonds overseas, then prints it up.

SpursFanFirst
10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
What is this story?
I just got in and I haven't read the news yet.

SpursFanFirst
10-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Nevermind. I found it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/10/democrats.stimulus/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Democratic leaders are putting together a second economic stimulus package that could cost as much as $150 billion, according to Democratic leadership aides.

The aides said Democrats are likely to call Congress back shortly after the election to vote on the measure.

The details are still in flux, but one aide said the price tag would be "somewhat north of $100 billion" and would include "a heavy emphasis on help to state and local governments."

One way to help states would be to fund the mandatory state match for Medicaid programs so that states would not have to slash education and other programs to cover it.

Before Congress recessed last week for the election, the House of Representatives passed economic aid measures totaling $61 billion to fund infrastructure projects, money for states' Medicaid costs, and unemployment assistance.

But these bills failed to attract enough support in the Senate, and the White House opposed them.

"With all that happened in the past few weeks, it probably has to be more like ... $150 billion to invest in our economy, to create jobs, to help the states, to help men and women across the country," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Wednesday while traveling in Denver, Colorado.

Pelosi and other House Democratic leaders are scheduled to meet Monday with a group of economists in Washington to discuss the size and components of a stimulus plan, the Democratic aides said.

These aides indicated that in addition to aid to states struggling with their budgets, the package could include things similar to what the House passed before, such as infrastructure money, an extension of unemployment benefits, food stamps and more money for low-income energy assistance.

House Republican leadership aides said that GOP members have not been consulted on the details of a second stimulus. One of these aides said, "We're not necessarily opposed to it out of hand. We would ask, is it truly stimulative? Is it really going to help stimulate the economy?"

A Senate GOP leadership aide said Republicans are skeptical of a second stimulus but did not suggest there is outright opposition to another package.

Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, left the door open to the Senate taking up a bill.

"Sen. Reid tried to pass a second economic recovery bill last month, only to be obstructed by Senate Republicans," Manley said. "Recent developments only reinforce the need for additional action to reinvigorate the economy. We will work with the House of Representatives and leave all options open to address this issue."

SpursFanFirst
10-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Send what back?

peewee's lovechild
10-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Send what back?

Stimulus check.

SpursFanFirst
10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Stimulus check.

That's what I figured you meant, but I don't see that mentioned in the article anywhere.

Have you heard that talked about somewhere else?

These aides indicated that in addition to aid to states struggling with their budgets, the package could include things similar to what the House passed before, such as infrastructure money, an extension of unemployment benefits, food stamps and more money for low-income energy assistance.

clambake
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
i'd have to receive one before i could send it back.

peewee's lovechild
10-10-2008, 04:02 PM
That's what I figured you meant, but I don't see that mentioned in the article anywhere.

Have you heard that talked about somewhere else?

I didn't read that, I just assumed it was part of the stimulus package like it was the first time around.

The first stimulus package was all about those checks, I figured the second one would be too.

Otherwise, it would be just another bail out/rescue package.

SpursFanFirst
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Otherwise, it would be just another bail out/rescue package.

From what I've read, it sounds like that's all it is.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
:lmao

Yes Obama and Pelosi, you dumb shits, our nation is drowning in debt so the obvious solution is to print up more money, pass it out, and put the nation in further debt.

I'm sure this will be a monthly occurrence under Obama if he wins, gotta keep the natives happy :rolleyes

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 05:54 PM
So you, AHF, have no problem whatsoever with McCain's 300 billion "we gonna buy your mortgages" plan but hate a 150 billion dollar stimulus plan?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2008, 07:06 PM
to everybody that is using this "why does mccain wanna spend $300 billion to buy up mortgages" talking point. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS IN THE BAILOUT BILL!!!!! look it up.

he was stupid enough to push it off as his. he was stupid enough to think it was going to wow people
..........., but most importantly you're stupid enough for thinking he came up with it. please get over it already and continue with your bush routine.

ElNono
10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
to everybody that is using this "why does mccain wanna spend $300 billion to buy up mortgages" talking point. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS IN THE BAILOUT BILL!!!!! look it up.

he was stupid enough to push it off as his. he was stupid enough to think it was going to wow people
..........., but most importantly you're stupid enough for thinking he came up with it. please get over it already and continue with your bush routine.

He voted for it. Not only that, he 'suspended' his campaign to make sure it passed. All of a sudden we have short memory?

ducks
10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Democratic leaders are putting together a second economic stimulus

Anti.Hero
10-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Pelosi wanted to do this months ago. Right before the Drill Now thing blew up as the flavor of the month.

At this point, what's a couple more hundred billion :toast