PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Name Kevin ‘big Kev’ Brock Public Address Announcer

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
SAN ANTONIO, October 10, 2008 – The Spurs announced today that Kevin ‘Big Kev’ Brock will step off the court and take his microphone to the sidelines when he debuts tonight as the new Spurs public address announcer.

Brock joined Spurs Sports & Entertainment in 2003, serving as the Silver Stars PA announcer since the franchise moved to San Antonio . He quickly established himself as a fan favorite and in 2006, the Spurs added his energy and voice to their lineup as in-arena host. He brings with him more than 16 years experience as an announcer, working with the NCAA Regionals, Alamo Bowls, UTSA basketball games and the Phillips 66 Big 12 Women’s Basketball tournaments.

“Kevin’s passion is contagious and his energy has electrified both Spurs and Silver Stars fans from the moment he turned on the mic,” said Spurs Executive Vice President of Corporate Partnerships and Broadcasting Lawrence Payne. “He brings a familiar, yet new voice to the sidelines and we know Spurs fans will welcome his energy as we continue to bring the best entertainment product to our fans.”

Brock joins the Spurs in a role held by veteran announcer Stan Kelly for the past 18 seasons. Kelly led the Spurs crowd through four NBA Championships and helped make the fans feel at home when the team moved into the AT&T Center in November 2002. Kelly can be heard every morning on San Antonio’s First News on WOAI.

- end -

Awww....its so good to have your best friend get the gig he's been aiming for!!

That's my boy!!

T Park
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Christ.....

So I'm gonna have to withstand the stupid growling like he did with the Silver Stars?

Who wants to buy tickets in section 101?

Lebowski Brickowski
10-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh

My

Gawwww

KEDA
10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Jesus Christ

do you ever NOT bitch

seriously!

Kevin Brock is a friend of mine, and I think he is going to do a great job. Props to him, he has been busting his ass to get this and I for one am a little proud of him!

Props to Kevin!

T Park
10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Jesus Christ

do you ever NOT bitch

seriously!

Kevin Brock is a friend of mine, and I think he is going to do a great job. Props to him, he has been busting his ass to get this and I for one am a little proud of him!

Props to Kevin!

You can be thats fine, I just am not a fan of the "look at me" PA announcers like the stooge in Detroit.

Kevin falls in that category. I don't like it. Sorry to upset you.

DannyT
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
i will spit them with you t park
whats your price

Kori Ellis
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I think it's a great upgrade.

He wasn't the perfect fit at doing the timeout promotions (not that he was horrible, but out of his element). I think he'd be awesome as the PA announcer.

Lebowski Brickowski
10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Stan Kelly was a warm corpse ----

I'm going to miss creaming out "How much time is left!!!!?" at the end of every quarter and like clockwork hear ole Stan say

--- "Two Minutes!! TWWWOOOO Minutes."

But I admit -- I hate that dude in Detroit and I'll hate any announcer that sounds like him

Trainwreck2100
10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Bout time that guy doing the promos during the timeouts got replaced.

wait a minute.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
But I admit -- I hate that dude in Detroit and I'll hate any announcer that sounds like him

He doesn't sound that much like Mason in Detroit. But he does have a deep voice and is more animated than Stan.

T Park
10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
i will spit them with you t park
whats your price

150 a seat I think.

I'll have to check the price again when I get em.

koriwhat
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
i was stunned to find out brock is a real estate agent as well as a spurs on court presence. my mother had nothing but good things to say about brock while she worked with him on a closing once and so i wish him nothing but the best as the new PA for the spurs.

Go Brock Go!

SenorSpur
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Stan Kelly was left the crowd a bit limp.

For those that remember the great Pat Tallman, he had a distinctive voice, generated excitement, yet was not a "look at me" PA announcer.

I'm glad to hear this. Congrats to Big Kev. I hope he does well.

benefactor
10-10-2008, 04:58 PM
This is the best news of the offseason...seriously. Anyone who actually thought Stan Kelly was good should stop watching sports all together.

xtremesteven33
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
All im gonna miss from Stan is:

"MANUUUUUU!!!"

I. Hustle
I'm going to miss creaming out

Gross! To Stan Kelly?

T Park
Stan Kelly was left the crowd a bit limp.

For those that remember the great Pat Tallman, he had a distinctive voice, generated excitement, yet was not a "look at me" PA announcer.

I'm glad to hear this. Congrats to Big Kev. I hope he does well.

"Hi I'm Pat Tallman, and welcome to the noisiest arena in pro basketball"

Pat Tallman was the MAN!

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
TPark, have you ever attended a Silver Stars game?

I'm pretty sure you haven't and that you began bitching when you heard him do the line ups during the Finals.

Like KEDA said, do you bitch for everything?

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
The one thing I liked about Stan.

Was in a tight game and the Spurs made a basket, he kind of announced it like a fan instead of an announcer.

TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

TIIIMMMMMMMMM DUNCAN!! TIM DUNCAN

You could always tell he hated LA too

TIME OUT LA!! TIME OUT LA! YEAH!

:lol

That was always great.

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
TPark, have you ever attended a Silver Stars game?

I'm pretty sure you haven't and that you began bitching when you heard him do the line ups during the Finals.

Like KEDA said, do you bitch for everything?

I've attended about 3 games every year since they moved to SA.

No I don't bitch about everything.

Do you love to start arguements over everything?

timvp
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure Stan Kelly's voice would have held up another season. Big Kev is actually pretty damn good. Big Kev single-handedly kept the fans awake during those Silver Stars games I had to go to early in their existence.

With Spurs fans getting quieter and quieter each year, maybe this is the boost they need :tu

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
If he can go away from the attention whore PA guy in the Finals, and be energetic then props and hope it works out.

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I've attended about 3 games every year since they moved to SA.

No I don't bitch about everything.

Do you love to start arguements over everything?

Considering this argument started way before me, you score no points.

Also, I'm pretty sure you were asking if Kev was like Mason during the Finals or just before.

How can you ask that if you've attended 3 games a year for 6 years?

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Considering this argument started way before me, you score no points.

Also, I'm pretty sure you were asking if Kev was like Mason during the Finals or just before.

How can you ask that if you've attended 3 games a year for 6 years?

I'm sorry if I'm not a stickler to detail when I go to a WNBA game...

But no, there was no arguement before you got here, so you fail as well.

SAtown
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM

That was always great.

He made it pretty obvious he hates the Lakers this past WCF. Whenever Kobe would get a flashy fast break dunk, he'd say "That's a TWO pointer by Kobe Bryant, TWO pointer."

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
He made it pretty obvious he hates the Lakers this past WCF. Whenever Kobe would get a fast break dunk, he'd say "That's a TWO pointer by Kobe, TWO pointer."

:lmao

hes also gotten in trouble from the league in the past

"Foul on..... Thats his, First?" :lol

Total sound of "youve got to be kidding me"

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry if I'm not a stickler to detail when I go to a WNBA game...

But no, there was no arguement before you got here, so you fail as well.

You being a drama queen (like usual) and pretending to want to sell your season tickets because Big Kev was named PA dude then KEDA asking if you have to bitch about everything is what I started??

T Park, you've attended about 24 games and had NO CLUE how PA guy sounded? Whether you liked him or not? It took a game on TV last week for you to come to a conclusion. Seriously?

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
You being a drama queen (like usual) and pretending to want to sell your season tickets because Big Kev was named PA dude then KEDA asking if you have to bitch about everything is what I started??

T Park, you've attended about 24 games and had NO CLUE how PA guy sounded? Whether you liked him or not? It took a game on TV for you to come to a conclusion. Seriously?

It took a game on tv where I was paying attention because they had him piped directly to the TV audio.

I can honestly say I hadn't paid attention to the PA announcer at the games because I was usually talking with a friend, or just plain not paying attention.

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 05:24 PM
It took a game on tv where I was paying attention because they had him piped directly to the TV audio.

I can honestly say I hadn't paid attention to the PA announcer at the games because I was usually talking with a friend, or just plain not paying attention.

Whatever you say T Park.

Though it is funny how picky you seem to be.

I take it back.

If Big Kev was the PA guy, he would be good. I like the deeper voice than normal. Don't know why he does that, but its good :lol

I take it back.

Hes doing the the Attention whore PA thing.

No Big Kev doing PA duties please.

T Park
10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't know why its hard to understand.

He was good at doing the intros, until he starts going into this growling screaming thing that was just annoying.

Whatever.

jcrod
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Anything is better than Kelly. Man his voice was annoying.

SequSpur
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
The one thing I liked about Stan.

Was in a tight game and the Spurs made a basket, he kind of announced it like a fan instead of an announcer.

TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

TIIIMMMMMMMMM DUNCAN!! TIM DUNCAN

You could always tell he hated LA too

That was always great.

you know what, you're fricking dead on in this take. Stan did have that in him. But... his act is old now. He doesn't relate to the fans anymore. This shit is about the show. The WWF part of it.. Sorry, but it's true.

Time for stan to go.

koriwhat
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
You being a drama queen (like usual)

that's nothing new for t_park. that's his MO.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
you know what, you're fricking dead on in this take. Stan did have that in him. But... his act is old now. He doesn't relate to the fans anymore. This shit is about the show. The WWF part of it.. Sorry, but it's true.

Time for stan to go.

Probably right.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
that's nothing new for t_park. that's his MO.

and you are?

No one. That's what I thought.

Move along.

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
T Park......

Kevin unseated Stan as the PA announcer for the UTSA men's games and at the Missions games.

And when there is a NCAA basketball game MEN OR WOMEN, he is used as the PA announcer.

Stan has been around for years but Kevin actually has been Stan's #2 guy for years.

And just so you'll know, I'm with KEDA...Kevin and I go back to when he was at KENS Radio and Jason Minnix was working with Kev.

Its no fluke that he was picked.

The only reason why went to do real estate is because it actually pays more than being a talk show host.

I'm with KEDA, and I'm damn proud that he has finally gotten this shot.

The organization is doing some serious turnovers in all departments and as much as I like Stan, after seeing what Kev does to keep the WNBA audience afloat and the fact that he's well respected in NCAA circles and in the NBA circles, it was just a matter of time.

In case you guys aren't noticing, you realize that Stan gets up at 2 a.m. in the morning to head to the station. That doesn't leave you much sleep time between a game and a morning drive show doing news; for your voice or your health.

This move is good for Kev and it shows his two little girls that anything is possible if you just stick to doing your job and being the best at it.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey i'm all for the local guy doing good its great.

After watching the WNBA finals and paying attention to Kev the announcer, it was just too Mason for my tastes.

Like I said, I will reserve judgment again and will try and listen tonight during the game on the radio a tad but won't judge him on that.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
The organization is doing some serious turnovers in all departments

Just curious, for what reason?

Just because it was thought things were stale? Wanted to get the organization younger and more hip?

Or just the natural turnover of help but just the "perfect storm" year that its all happening at once?

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
T Park....there were people who were there for like almost 20 years........

They've let some VPs go, had others retire and the like.

Just the nature of the beast......

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Figured it was just natural turnover more than just waking up one day saying "everyone needs to go"

SenorSpur
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Stan Kelly was about as alive as Pat Tallman is now.

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 06:39 PM

dayum.....now i wouldn't have gone that far...lol

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Not true at all, but whatever.

KEDA
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
If TPark sells his seats, I wont post on here for one year!!!

Wait, thats to trivial, Ill up the ante.

I will never post here again!

Thats how confident he wont do it, dude is a bunch of bullshit and its silly. He throws his shit around and tries to bully everyone. Im sick of his shit, and of him.

Dude tried to buy his own Spurstalk softball team, that didnt work.

Dude tried to make it seem like he was going for Spurstalk Humanitarian of the Year, by "giving" seats away a few years back, just to bitch like a little girl when shit didnt go his way.

Dude would show up at GTGs with like 100 bux in BWWs just for "cool" points.

Fuck this guy, Im tired of it. Look up douchebag on Wikipedia, and I think it will say "See Tpark".

Now, about my boy Kevin. I have known Kevin for a long time, he was a bowler and we would bowl at Astro bowl (back when Astro was a decent place) back in the day. I know he was working at getting this for a long time, he put blood, sweat, and tears into his job, and he has finally received his award.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Sorry you feel that way because I'm not a big fan of your buddy.

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:58 PM
If TPark sells his seats, I wont post on here for one year!!!

Wait, thats to trivial, Ill up the ante.

I will never post here again!

Thats how confident he wont do it, dude is a bunch of bullshit and its silly. He throws his shit around and tries to bully everyone. Im sick of his shit, and of him.

Dude tried to buy his own Spurstalk softball team, that didnt work.

Dude tried to make it seem like he was going for Spurstalk Humanitarian of the Year, by "giving" seats away a few years back, just to bitch like a little girl when shit didnt go his way.

Dude would show up at GTGs with like 100 bux in BWWs just for "cool" points.

Fuck this guy, Im tired of it. Look up douchebag on Wikipedia, and I think it will say "See Tpark".

Now, about my boy Kevin. I have known Kevin for a long time, he was a bowler and we would bowl at Astro bowl (back when Astro was a decent place) back in the day. I know he was working at getting this for a long time, he put blood, sweat, and tears into his job, and he has finally received his award.

Let me address something seriously here for a second.

I never once did that for "humanitarian" or whatever BS.

I did it because I wanted people to experience Spurs playoff games and did it because I wanted to. No other reason than that.

I'm sorry if you "felt" this way, but again, I never did that once to recite something or receive anything in return.

I've never showed up to "bww's" with 100s in my pocket trying to be cool either.

Hell I don't even remember going to a BWW with you guys ever.

Whatever though and I'm sorry you feel that way about me.

Have a nice night.

Tek_XX
10-10-2008, 06:58 PM
So was stan kelly let go?

T Park
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
So was stan kelly let go?

Yeah sounds like it.

I think hes gonna do just the morning radio deal at WOAI from now on it seems like.

KEDA
10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Get the creme filling out of your eyes and learn to read, I said you showed up TO gtgs with 100 bux IN BWWs.

Did you not bring shit loads of wings to GTGs??????????????

And I will have a nice night, taking care of a real girlfriend that everyone has seen, not some friend you made on Facebook.

Yeah, Im calling bullshit on that too!

If you love her and say shes the one, take a pic with her and post it here, not a hard task, no?

I should make you tag the pic, like people do when they sell shit on Ebay, just to prove that you didnt hire someone to photoshop it for ya!

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Get the creme filling out of your eyes and learn to read, I said you showed up TO gtgs with 100 bux IN BWWs.

Did you not bring shit loads of wings to GTGs??????????????

And I will have a nice night, taking care of a real girlfriend that everyone has seen, not some friend you made on Facebook.

Yeah, Im calling bullshit on that too!

If you love her and say shes the one, take a pic with her and post it here, not a hard task, no?

I should make you tag the pic, like people do when they sell shit on Ebay, just to prove that you didnt hire someone to photoshop it for ya!

I apologize, I misread and yes I brought the wings.

I volunteered to, just like other people volunteered to bring those tings.

I will do just that once I get home.

Again, sorry you feel this way after all I did was voice that I didn't like someone that your friends with.

Don't take it so darn hard.

timvp
10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Dude would show up at GTGs with like 100 bux in BWWs just for "cool" points.Not to defend TPark 100% in this thread but I don't understand bashing him for bringing food to a GTG. GTGs don't exactly pay for themselves.

KEDA
10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Its not that bro, you just bitch about everything, just because you dont like it. Guess what other people have opinions, and we dont act like fucktards about it. Yeah, I know its the internet, but you need to learn that keeping your opinions to yourself might be beneficial once in a while.

Hell, I dont like Greg Moore, I think he is a hack reporter that needs to cover penguin diving in Antarctica, but you dont see me making a huge hubbub about it.

just kidding G!

KEDA
10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Not to defend TPark 100% in this thread but I don't understand bashing him for bringing food to a GTG. GTGs don't exactly pay for themselves.

I know that LJ, but when some of us dont have alot of cash and we have to make our shit at home, and then people show up with an ass load of Wings, it made my penis smaller. And I got a little butthurt about it (no homo).

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Its not that bro, you just bitch about everything, just because you dont like it. Guess what other people have opinions, and we dont act like fucktards about it. Yeah, I know its the internet, but you need to learn that keeping your opinions to yourself might be beneficial once in a while.

Hell, I dont like Greg Moore, I think he is a hack reporter that needs to cover penguin diving in Antarctica, but you dont see me making a huge hubbub about it.

just kidding G!

So if I don't like something, I shouldn't say it because it might bother other people?

Uh ok.

Whatever though, like I said, I'm sorry if my "bitching" bothers people but I honestly am just voicing an opinion.

If voicing opinions is that bad, then message boards shouldn't be here.

I've always been more than cool with you and thought you were probably one of the most underrated posters here who because of work and life most likely doesn't get to post enough. Hell I REALLY liked you when you posted the anti Obama stuff :lol

Like I said again and sorry to be a broke record, I'm really sorry that my opinion offended you that much, and again, if if you have something against it, just PM me and ask me what I mean, shoot I'll elaborate and we can talk about it.

No need to freak out about it.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I know that LJ, but when some of us dont have alot of cash and we have to make our shit at home, and then people show up with an ass load of Wings, it made my penis smaller. And I got a little butthurt about it (no homo).

If it makes you feel better I'll show up with nothing and just mooch off of everyone else :lol

DPG21920
10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Man I feel bad now for arguing with TPark yesterday. We all need to chill. It is funny because people on here fight like a family, which is cool and annoying at the same time!

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Not to defend TPark 100% in this thread but I don't understand bashing him for bringing food to a GTG. GTGs don't exactly pay for themselves.

cool points?? what the hell are cool points??? lol

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Man I feel bad now for arguing with TPark yesterday. We all need to chill. It is funny because people on here fight like a family, which is cool and annoying at the same time!

Why feel bad about it, its nothing personal, you're giving your opinion about basketball.

I don't take anything personal until it gets to a point where I'm accused of doing something I'm really not and just feel like clearing the air.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
cool points?? what the hell are cool points??? lol

Yeah and can you swap coke points for em?

I'm about in the negative column.

DPG21920
10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Understood. Sorry for calling you a "joke of a human"!

Avitus1
10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm glad that Stan has been replaced he just seemed a little bit worn down. I look forward to seeing what Big Kev will do and the excitement he'll bring.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm glad that Stan has been replaced he just seemed a little bit worn down. I look forward to seeing what Big Kev will do and the excitement he'll bring.

Ya know in hindsight, I wondered how the hell he did those games that ended at midnight, like the playoff games against New Orleans, and then showed up fresh as hell at 5 am for work the next day, yet he seemed to pull it off.

Like I said before, I wasn't a huge fan of Big Kev's finals thing but if hes not like that usually, I'll give him a full 100% chance and open ears and hope the local guy does good.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Understood. Sorry for calling you a "joke of a human"!

No biggie. We say alot of things on here that we don't mean and its sometimes a good way of letting off steam that we wouldn't normally let loose.

DPG21920
10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Spurs are just reviewing their business plan. All companies do it. Some people are moving up, some are out. Most of this has to do with understanding their consumers more. All marketing and advertising. Times are changing in the advertising/marketing world so you have to constantly re-evaluate your position with your customers. That is why they promoted some new blood, hired a new ad agency and such.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Spurs are just reviewing their business plan. All companies do it. Some people are moving up, some are out. Most of this has to do with understanding their consumers more. All marketing and advertising. Times are changing in the advertising/marketing world so you have to constantly re-evaluate your position with your customers. That is why they promoted some new blood, hired a new ad agency and such.

Well it all seems like a domino effect from Russ Bookbinder resigning back in June I think, can't remember the exact date. Ever since then the Spurs seem to have taken the attitude, what the hell lets just try a different direction. Change is good sometimes, sometime its not. What the hell just give it a shot doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't affect the product on the floor which it won't.

DPG21920
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
There is no way game day operations could get worse (unless they replace the coyote with Hugo). I don't think Russ was the cause, he was the effect. They were going to go in a different direction and he saw that. It was just time. If they want to make this team more attractive to fans, potential owners and free agents they had to revamp how they did things.

nbascribe
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
T Park....Kev did what he was asked in that roll.

You remember Crazy Lou right?

But when you're the PA guy, its your job to simply get the crowd up, do your readers, say who scored, etc.

The good thing about Kev doing it is that he's done it for both the NCAA Finals Four, college football and now he's doing it for the NBA.

It's all about just getting your foot in. I remember when they "asked" him to audition for the previous gig (the one you hate).

It's a promotion from within the organization.

as for the change thing...yeah, as long as it doesn't hurt the end product.

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:44 PM
T Park....Kev did what he was asked in that roll.

You remember Crazy Lou right?

But when you're the PA guy, its your job to simply get the crowd up, do your readers, say who scored, etc.

The good thing about Kev doing it is that he's done it for both the NCAA Finals Four, college football and now he's doing it for the NBA.

It's all about just getting your foot in. I remember when they "asked" him to audition for the previous gig (the one you hate).

It's a promotion from within the organization.

as for the change thing...yeah, as long as it doesn't hurt the end product.

I think your misunderstanding me, I really liked Big Kev as the in game guy and thought he was the best since Chris Duel.

Crazy Lou was pathetic....

Spurs Brazil
10-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I never listen to this guy voice but listening to the game now on radio it sounds very good.

I think he'll be good

T Park
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I never listen to this guy voice but listening to the game now on radio it sounds very good.

I think he'll be good

Thats awesome.

I hope he is. :tu

Spurs Brazil
10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Now that I saw his pic on NBA.com I recognize him.

He's the guy who was on the court during time-outs.

He'll be a good upgrade

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/bigkev_300x400.jpg

T Park
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah he was really funny with Reggie the fat coyote.

spurschick
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Stan Kelly is a very nice man and I wish him well. That being said, I'm excited that Kev has gotten the nod to replace him. My next wish is that they replace Big Kev at promotions with TWO people - a guy AND a girl. I think a tag team would be great and I think an attractive female with a Crazy Lou personality could really get the crowd into it.

T Park
10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Stan Kelly is a very nice man and I wish him well. That being said, I'm excited that Kev has gotten the nod to replace him. My next wish is that they replace Big Kev at promotions with TWO people - a guy AND a girl. I think a tag team would be great and I think an attractive female with a Crazy Lou personality could really get the crowd into it.

When would we know the replacement?

First regular season game?

An attractive female wearing tight spurs stuff?? Of course that would go over well :lol

DMX7
10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Thank god, I was really tired of Stan. I'm sure he is a good guy but he was not good past the 1990's.

Biernutz
10-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Kelly just seemed worn out with no energy. Stan seemed tired. Maybe too many late games with the 5 AM show on WOAI. He should stay with the old folks on the early morning show.

duncan228
10-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Stan Kelly out as long-time Spurs arena voice (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/10/06/daily45.html?ana=from_rss)
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Off-season changes continue for the San Antonio Spurs.

Officials with Spurs Sports & Entertainment say they are replacing the 18-year arena voice of their flagship Spurs franchise, Stan Kelly, with Kevin Brock.

Kelly began his public address announcer duties with the Spurs back when the team still played in HemisFair Arena. During his tenure, the team won four NBA championships.

One of Kelly’s more recognizable lines before every Spurs home game was, “Let’s get busy.”

Kelly can still be heard mornings on WOAI-AM.

Brock joined SS&E in 2003, serving as the courtside announcer for the WNBA San Antonio the Silver Stars. He has worked as an announcer for NCAA regional tournaments, the Alamo Bowl, UTSA basketball games and the Big 12 Women’s Basketball tournaments.

“Kevin’s passion is contagious and his energy has electrified both Spurs and Silver Stars fans from the moment he turned on the mic,” says Lawrence Payne, executive vice president of corporate partnerships and broadcasting for SS&E.

“He brings a familiar, yet new voice to the sidelines and we know Spurs fans will welcome his energy as we continue to bring the best entertainment product to our fans,” Payne adds.

Mark in Austin
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
With the Spurs organization selling more and more tickets to empty suits who could give two shits about the team and the arena getting quieter and quieter each year as a result, maybe this is the boost they need :tu

fixed. :stirpot:

T Park
10-10-2008, 09:36 PM
MIA

So now the spurs have to selectively sell seats?

Interesting.

SenorSpur
10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Couple of quick questions.

Did Stan Kelly succeed Pat Tallman?
Does this now mean that Big Kev will no longer do Silver Stars games?

T Park
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes Kelly did succeed Pat Tallman.

As far as the second one, I don't see why he COULDN'T do both.

They always play on separate dates.

bigfundamental21
10-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I was at the game tonight and recognized his voice right away. He did a good job and I think will add a little energy to the games. He is definitely better at PA announcing than he was at the on court stuff.

Welcome to the show, Big Kev.

T Park
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Great to hear.

Congrats to Big Kev :)

SenorSpur
10-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Great to hear.

Congrats to Big Kev :)

Have you finally come around?

T Park
10-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Have you finally come around?

I'm not explaining myself for the billionth time.

Kori Ellis
10-11-2008, 02:31 AM

This is the weirdest statement. That particular GTG that TPark brought food to was the one that everyone insisted on bringing food because LJ and I had paid for everything for so long. At that GTG, Beckie brought shark and other meat and someone else brought hundreds of dollars worth of steak. By the end of the night, was your penis inverted? Because those items cost more than TPark's wings :lol

polandprzem
10-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Penis on barbecue?

DMX7
10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
T Park......

Kevin unseated Stan as the PA announcer for the UTSA men's games and at the Missions games.

And when there is a NCAA basketball game MEN OR WOMEN, he is used as the PA announcer.

Stan has been around for years but Kevin actually has been Stan's #2 guy for years.

And just so you'll know, I'm with KEDA...Kevin and I go back to when he was at KENS Radio and Jason Minnix was working with Kev.

Its no fluke that he was picked.

The only reason why went to do real estate is because it actually pays more than being a talk show host.

I'm with KEDA, and I'm damn proud that he has finally gotten this shot.

The organization is doing some serious turnovers in all departments and as much as I like Stan, after seeing what Kev does to keep the WNBA audience afloat and the fact that he's well respected in NCAA circles and in the NBA circles, it was just a matter of time.

In case you guys aren't noticing, you realize that Stan gets up at 2 a.m. in the morning to head to the station. That doesn't leave you much sleep time between a game and a morning drive show doing news; for your voice or your health.

This move is good for Kev and it shows his two little girls that anything is possible if you just stick to doing your job and being the best at it.

It's a good move. And as a UTSA fan, I wish him well (although I hope he can come back and do a game or two for us as well). :)

angel_luv
10-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Props to Kevin!

Big Kev is good friends with some of my friends from church.

I have spoken to Big Kev a few times at Spurs events he helped host at the mall where I work.
He is quite nice.

Though an adjustment requiring change from Stan Kelly ( whom I liked a lot), I am confident Big Kev will become a favorite in his own rite as the announcer.

angel_luv
10-11-2008, 04:36 PM

I really liked Crazy Lou. I was sorry when he left.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I love Kevin Brock.

Kevin was one of my first mentors when I was an intern back at KENS Sports... I even got in on some shows with Brock, Minnix and Greg Moore.

Kevin gets nothing but love and respect from me... not just because he helped me out, but because he's damn good at whatever he decides to work for.

Congrats to him.

Thanks, Stan, for all your work and dedication.

ShoogarBear
10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
he was a bowler

Now all becomes clear.

ShoogarBear
10-11-2008, 08:36 PM
And penguin diving is a highly underrated sport.

SpurSupremacist
10-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Horse shit. Why did they get rid of Stan Kelly?

exstatic
10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Horse shit. Why did they get rid of Stan Kelly?

His contract expired, and they could just get Big Kev to do both SS and Spurs games for the price of one announcer.

Spurs entertainment, or whatever their umbrella corp is called, sure seems to be in cost-cutting mode.

T Park
10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Smart businesses are doing that right now I would assume.

exstatic
10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Smart businesses are doing that right now I would assume.
Aren't you a bit butt hurt that they're basically dumping pre-season tickets for $5 when season tix holders have to buy them at cost?

Budkin
10-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not familiar with this guy... but I was so over Stan Kelly.

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Good to see Big Kev back

The other guy sucks

TDomination
04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Good to see Big Kev back

The other guy sucks

He was back? When did he leave? And why did he leave?

DMX7
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Good to see Big Kev back

The other guy sucks

Yep, good to see him back.

Spurs Brazil
04-18-2009, 10:43 PM
He was back? When did he leave? And why did he leave?

He hurt his knees during the regular season, I think in december and was out since then