PDA

View Full Version : Barnes scored 21 points for Suns

wisnub
10-10-2008, 09:31 PM
SALT LAKE CITY, Oct. 9 (AP) - Matt Barnes scored 21 points and Alando Tucker added 19 as the Phoenix Suns beat the Utah Jazz 96-89 on Thursday night.

The Suns, who didn't make a 3-pointer in their opening loss to Atlanta on Wednesday, went 9-of-21 from beyond the arc against Utah (1-1) and didn't trail after the opening minutes of the first quarter.

Raja Bell scored 11 points for Phoenix (1-1).

Kyle Korver scored 16 points and Mehmet Okur had 12 points and eight rebounds for Utah, which opened with a victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday.

Deron Williams, a U.S. Olympian this summer, had nine points and five assists as he played the entire first and third quarters.

Boris Diaw added nine points and eight rebounds for Phoenix, which outrebounded Utah 45-35, the second straight time Utah was outrebounded by double figures.

Phoenix led by as many as nine points in the third quarter and pushed the lead to 14 points late in the fourth quarter, largely because of Tucker. The second-year forward from Wisconsin scored 11 points in the final quarter.

Barnes, an offseason free agent signing, scored eight points in the final quarter for Phoenix, which shot 48.6 percent from the field.

Guard Morris Almond scored 10 points and forward Paul Millsap had a team-best 11 rebounds for Utah.

Both teams struggled from the free throw line, making just 61 percent. Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal missed his first three free throws and finished with five points.

The Jazz played without All-Star forward Carlos Boozer, who missed his second consecutive game resting a sore left hamstring. The Suns were without Amare Stoudemire (torn iris in right eye) and Leandro Barbosa (family reasons) for the second straight game.

I like him since his days in Warriors. He can shoot three,never afraid to gurad anyone despite his average size, his energy can lift up other players in bench. I dont know how much he ask earlier but if Suns with high payroll can afford him, I couldnt see why we cant afford him before. I hope next season we picked up someone good for bench role..

Xylus
10-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Suns fans are really excited about Matt Barnes. Coach Porter has said he was MVP of training camp, and from what I hear, he took over the game last night against the Jazz. I think our starting unit would be better off if he was in it.

Nash
Bell
Barnes
Amare
Shaq

That gives you three competent three-point shooters, good size at every position, a little more youth in the starting unit (Grant Hill is just about ancient), and a veteran in Hill to bring off the bench. So the 2nd unit would be

Dragic
Barbosa
Tucker
Hill
Diaw

I think it's the deepest Suns team we've ever had. Hope it's not too late...

Allanon
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I like him since his days in Warriors. He can shoot three,never afraid to gurad anyone despite his average size, his energy can lift up other players in bench. I dont know how much he ask earlier but if Suns with high payroll can afford him, I couldnt see why we cant afford him before. I hope next season we picked up someone good for bench role..

I liked Barnes from the Warriors too, he's not a superstar or anything but he's a solid role player and he couldn't have been very expensive. I dunno if the Spurs went after him and offered him anything but I think he's a pretty good catch for the Suns.

SenorSpur
10-11-2008, 01:17 AM
I really don't believe the Spurs cared for him. If I'm correct, I don't know why. It's not as though they've been without opportunities to acquired him.

T Park
10-11-2008, 01:32 AM
The Spurs have had him in workouts many times.

I just don't think Pop cares for him.

There's usually reasons pop passes on players, so I blindly go with him if true.

wisnub
10-11-2008, 03:07 AM
The Spurs have had him in workouts many times.

I just don't think Pop cares for him.

There's usually reasons pop passes on players, so I blindly go with him if true.

I think we all can improve, including Pop. Not that I question how he works and judge things but I think there are some areas that he need to reevaluate and rethink..that is recruitment. After brilliant years in finding TP and Manu,etc within couple of recent years Spurs recruitment programs were nothing but one dissapoinments after another. FO was really good in terms of calculating salary cap,money and talents but it seems that they just want to get players for basically next to nothing...Too many talented people slipped and walked away for lots of reasons. Pop and RC need to come up with better strategies than previous ones. I dont think I need to remind you with examples but going forward I think Pop should be more open to add legitimate potential scorers onboard, not just work things under the cap and growth young players and let them walk away.
How can you work out on Barnes and pass on him?? Is it money,or playing style or what? Suns was high on payroll they still can slip him in. He did play D eventhough his body is not big, he basically throw himself there and fight like a pitbull. That dude scores. Watch the Mavs upset games.

I see FO become arrogant and tend to ignore popular assessment including draft days. They need to regroup and solve this internal issues. The league is getting stronger and change is inevitable. Sometimes open mind means to change how an organisation act in order to produce better result. Celtics changedtheir approach in recruitment and I hate to see the result. I think CIA Pop needs to ask James Bond on how he score on nice chick everytime 007 is in the mission :toast

kobyz
10-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Bufors sucks! why you dont take Barnes?!? you can ofer him more that the Suns! if you the spurs you can use Matt Barnes, Barnes could have been a nice addition to our team in our weak SF spot.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Barnes would've been just what we are lacking, a real athlete on the perimeter... and if not him, we could've drafted Chris Douglas-Roberts who also would've filled that hole. Instead, we brought back Finley... :pctoss

What is with the FO and not recognising a need for more athleticism at the swing?