boutons
02-14-2005, 12:14 AM
WC divsions leaders:

Spurs lost.

Sonics lost.

Suns barely escaped losing in OT.

Rummpd
02-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Maybe this means that the Suns are also beginning to slip a bit as well, they not only also lost to the Sonics (who were on the back of a tough back to back)but almost lost a big lead last night.

Meanwhile down at the bottom feeders Wolves and Lakers
also both lost. Unreal.

No one seems to want control. Sad thing is a Spurs win would have been huge.

boutons
02-14-2005, 07:38 AM
"Spurs win would have been huge."

yep, that's 3-in-a-row crap efforts by the Spurs, and they were damn lucky to get the one win.

For me the win by Suns means they haven't slipped at all. They had a big lead in the 4th, game won, GS made successful run while the Suns went cold (but not as cold as SEA went in the 4th), Suns were down 7 with 3 minutes to go, fought back to tie, and pulled in out in OT, on the road. Very tough, and toughening, night for the Suns. The consistently get W's they are supposed to get.

In contrast, the Spurs pansy-assed around with an inferior oppenent and lost. HUGE difference. I'm not worried about the Suns, I'm not worried about the Spurs talent (and wasn't last May, either), I'm worried about the Spurs hearts, toughness.

Another wasted game, another game where the Spurs proved nothing except their own softness and lack of desire. Nearly all the Spurs losses have been shitty effort against inferior teams.

If the Spurs can't get up for the dominant EC team (7 games ahead of DET), who TF can they get up for? And they made me sit inside watching the game for the first beautiful, sunny afternoon in weeks. What a wasted afternoon.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2005, 10:06 AM
If the Spurs can't get up for the dominant EC team (7 games ahead of DET), who TF can they get up for? And they made me sit inside watching the game for the first beautiful, sunny afternoon in weeks. What a wasted afternoon.

Good point.

I mean, the Spurs are only 11-4 against the teams with the top 7 records in the association. They've really struggled to get up for big games all year long. What an abysmal effort.

Jimcs50
02-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Today is Valentine's Day, not yesterday. :angel

boutons
02-14-2005, 10:17 AM
"the Spurs are only 11-4 against the teams with the top 7 records in the association"

...you conveniently avoid the TRUE measure of toughness, which isn't winning against top teams in the screaming comfort @SBC, but winning against top teams ON THE ROAD.

"Today is Valentine's Day, not yesterday."

Pretentious precision of dim-witted nit-picker.

Jimcs50
02-14-2005, 10:19 AM
"the Spurs are only 11-4 against the teams with the top 7 records in the association"

...you conveniently avoid the TRUE measure of toughness, which isn't winning against top teams in the screaming comfort @SBC, but winning against top teams ON THE ROAD.

"Today is Valentine's Day, not yesterday."

Pretentious precision of dim-witted nit-picker.

Thankyou, thankyou very much.

boutons
02-14-2005, 10:42 AM
2004 Playoffs:

Spurs win 2 @SBC

Spurs lose 2 on the road

Spurs lose 1 @SBC

Spurs lose, and emliminated, on the road.

3 of the 4 losses for 04 elimnation were on the road. As a run-up to the 03 playoffs, the Spurs were well under .500 on the road after Christmas vs top teams.

ALL of the 03 Spurs pre-Finals series closeouts were ON THE ROAD. As a run-up to the 03 playoffs, the Spurs were way over .500 on the road record vs top teams after Christmas.

If you can't win the big ones ON THE ROAD, you can't win the NBA.

40 - 12, fool's gold

(and it's not the best record, it's tied for best record. And due to the Spurs road weakness against top teams, Spurs better damn well win HCA throughout the playoffs by ending with best NBA record).

23 - 1 @SBC, fool's gold.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2005, 10:45 AM

How much further can you parse this? Geez.

Okay, I see cause for concern, the Spurs are 4-3 on the road against the top 7 teams in the association!! In two of their three losses (SAC, MIA) the Spurs have had the ball in the last 30 seconds with an opportunity to take the lead.

I can't believe that we're even talking about this team as a contender!!!! :rolleyes

Jimcs50
02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Do you realize that if you win half of the games on the road(4-3) and you have HCA, you will win the series 99.9% of the time?

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2005, 11:12 AM
If you can't win the big ones ON THE ROAD, you can't win the NBA.

(and it's not the best record, it's tied for best record. And due to the Spurs road weakness against top teams, Spurs better damn well win HCA throughout the playoffs by ending with best NBA record).

Well, Phoenix has been tearing it up against good teams on the road. Since Christmas (which is an altogether new criteria for this discussion -- seems a rather arbitrary line, but I'll play along), their only win on the road against any of the top 7 was their 2 point, controversy-marred win at Sacramento last week.

(FWIW -- I've taken account of only the top 7, since Washington has the 8th best record in the NBA, but, as we established last week, they flat-out suck).

Miami is 1-3 on the road against top 7 teams since Christmas, with a win at Detroit, and losses at SEA, at PNX, and at DAL

Seattle makes a better argument, with 3 wins against top 7 since Christmas (@MIA, @SAC, @PNX)

Dallas is 2-1 on the road against top 7 teams since Christmas, with wins at Sacramento and at Seattle in the last week, but a loss at San Antonio.

Sacramento is 0-2 on the road against top 7 teams since Christmas, with losses at San Antonio and at Seattle.

Detroit hasn't played a top 7 team on the road since Christmas.

BTW, during the same stretch, the Spurs have 3 road wins against top 7 teams (@PNX, @SAC, @SEA) with two losses, a 5-pointer in Sacramento and a 4-pointer in Miami.