Gotenks
10-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Miami Dolphins glad Bell is back in gear

Photos
Related Content
Chad Pennington has rebirth with Miami Dolphins
BY JEFF DARLINGTON
[email protected]
When they talk, and they no doubt talk a lot, safety Renaldo Hill always tells his friend and teammate that someday he needs to write a book. Someday, Hill said, he wants everyone to be as inspired by safety Yeremiah Bell's tale as he has been.

''He has an inspirational story for a lot of people -- a never-quit attitude,'' Hill said. ``Never say die. That's Yeremiah.''

He wants people to know about Bell's rise to NFL success, which started in a Kentucky steel mill after high school, where Bell earned $8 an hour for two years bending pieces of steel that are used in tunnels.

He wants them to hear about Bell's decision to leave the mill for Eastern Kentucky, where he made the football team as a walk-on, earned a scholarship and ended up as a sixth-round draft pick by the Dolphins in 2003.

But Bell isn't interested in any book deals. Not yet. Not without the proper ending.

After last year's close call in the season opener, when Bell sustained an injury that nearly ended his career, Bell is as committed as ever to becoming the elite player so many others have suddenly realized he can be. And everyone around him knows it.

''Believe me, when I got hurt, I was thinking about so many things,'' Bell said. 'It was ridiculous. I've got a torn Achilles', and everyone is saying this is the worst injury.''

It couldn't end like this, though. When Bell tore his Achilles' tendon in the third quarter of last year's opener, the initial sting in his ankle wasn't the worst part. Instead, it was the mental anguish that began tormenting him shortly after surgery. Bell had just begun a contract year. He was primed to make a huge splash on the NFL scene, too.

In 2006, when he first got his chance as a full-time starter in Week 9, he had an impressive five tackles, two passes defensed and a forced fumble.

LAST YEAR'S NIGHTMARE

As a result of the injury, all of it was wasted. He would be forced to watch the worst season in franchise history from the sideline, while also wondering if his career would ever rebound.

''The toughest part initially was just getting over that it happened,'' Bell said. ``Then, having to watch all those games and knowing I couldn't be out there while my teammates were having such a tough season, it wasn't easy.''

Once healed, Bell faced a new set of issues. His contract was set to expire and he wasn't getting much interest from any teams as a result of lingering questions about his injury.

He had a knee injury as a senior in college, injured his foot as an NFL rookie, broke his fibula in his second year, and then tore his Achilles' last year. The array of injuries fueled even more concerns about his disproportionately thin legs.

Because he hit so hard and played so aggressively, it became a question whether his lower body was too fragile.

The Dolphins decided otherwise when they signed Bell to a one-year deal a week into free agency -- and the move has paid big dividends.

''Everything he does, he does 100 miles an hour, whether it's practice or the game,'' defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni said. ``The guy's got one speed and that's the way he plays. He's great to have on the team.''

Said cornerback Andre' Goodman: ``Can you tell he's coming off an injury? Seriously, can you tell?''

The answer, for anyone who has seen Bell during his first four games this season, is an easy one: Absolutely not.

BETTER THAN EVER

Bell is playing as aggressively as ever. Mentally and physically, he has not shown a sign that would provide an indication into what he has been through over the course of the year. He is leading the team in tackles with 30 -- five ahead of middle linebacker Channing Crowder.

On a potential Pro Bowl pace, Bell's dominance has helped fuel the Dolphins' success the past two games.

And if it continues, there's no telling how this story will end.

If Bell has his way, he won't have to worry about that for a long time.

''I'm just out there having fun,'' Bell said.

``The next contract will take care of itself. I just want to stay healthy this year. There will be plenty of time for all of the other stuff. I'm just glad I'm able to play, honestly.''

So, too, are the Dolphins.

yavozerb
10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the article....