PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis suspended 30 games

Darkwaters
10-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Monta Ellis was suspended for 30 games by the Warriors.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54824/20081011/golden_state_suspends_monta_30_games/

Whoa...

1Parker1
10-11-2008, 03:57 PM
What??! Is this legit?

DynastyBuilder
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
indeed

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/ellis_suspension_101108.html (http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/ellis_suspension_101108.html)

Darkwaters
10-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Bizarre, huh?

duncan228
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess that's what happens when you break your contract and lie about it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Woohoo! More free time for mo-pedding!

SpursFan0728
10-11-2008, 04:07 PM
wow..

30 games is harsh.

Xylus
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Ouch. That's almost half a season's worth of pay for him. 20 games seems a little more appropriate for a violation of this kind.

boutons_
10-11-2008, 04:13 PM
30/82 is how much of his salary?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
30/82 is how much of his salary?

A little over 4 million.

Indazone
10-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Newsflash...

Warriors will suck over the season.

Allanon
10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
WTF? 30 games?

WoW

JamStone
10-11-2008, 04:52 PM
How about voiding the contract instead. Warriors are still paying him a boatload of money over (what is it?) 6 years.

sribb43
10-11-2008, 05:13 PM
isnt he out until december/january? So he will be able to play about the last 2 1/2 months of the season?

There goes Monta's fantasy value

Amuseddaysleeper
10-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Why did they wait so long for this?

Amazing how easy Vlad of the Lakers got off for doing a similar thing.

mavsfan1000
10-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Too bad this couldn't happen in 06-07. :(

ducks
10-11-2008, 05:56 PM
The Warriors cited Ellis’ violation of Paragraph 12 of the NBA’s uniform player contract, which prohibits a player from engaging “in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury,” including “driving or riding a motorcycle or moped.”

Allanon
10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Too bad this couldn't happen in 06-07. :(

Hahahah

Why did they wait so long for this?

Amazing how easy Vlad of the Lakers got off for doing a similar thing.

Come to think of it, Vlad did get off pretty easy...Monta's getting crucified.

As far as timing is concerned, I'm guessing they just realized they're screwed this season cuz they can't find a backup and now the owner's taking it out on Monta.

Monta really did screw up their season since he's their #1/#2 guy and all. It's like Kobe going skateboarding or Duncan learning how to do BMX bike flips.

JamStone
10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Guess it's all about saving a few million dollars.

Golden State: "We're pretty pissed at you for being stupid so instead of paying you $67 million, we're paying you $63 million. And, then we're going to say we're suspending you 30 games to look like we're doing something even though that's basically the time you'll be out with your injury rehab."

Monta: "So you're not voiding the entire contract? Ummm ok."

DPG21920
10-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I was going to say...isn't he going to miss 30 games anyways because of the injury?

Thats like the Spurs suspending Ginobili until mid-December for disobeying direct team orders. Bull shit and this means nothing.

Allanon
10-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Nah, the suspension doesn't happen until he comes back from the injury...the injury time doesn't count.

So he'll be gone until December with the injury, then when he comes back he sits for another long period of time (30 games...probably another 2 months so he won't be able to play until March)

N4th4n
10-11-2008, 07:30 PM
This is a good way to get a nice high draft pick.

JamStone
10-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Nah, the suspension doesn't happen until he comes back from the injury...the injury time doesn't count.

So he'll be gone until December with the injury, then when he comes back he sits for another long period of time (30 games...probably another 2 months so he won't be able to play until March)

Actually, no.

The suspension will take effect immediately and will extend through the team’s December 17th contest against the Indiana Pacers.

It's all about not paying him his salary while he's injured. They want him to play as soon as he's back.

ShoogarBear
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually, that's not an unreasonable decision. They said because its an "illegal" injury, they won't pay him for the time he's out because of it.

Spurs Brazil
10-11-2008, 11:10 PM
He would not play those 30 games anyway. But now he's losing money

The Franchise
10-12-2008, 09:35 AM
How about voiding the contract instead. Warriors are still paying him a boatload of money over (what is it?) 6 years.

Exactly. It could have (and probably should have) been much worse for him.

MannyIsGod
10-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah but voiding the contract also makes him a free agent and Im' sure the Warriors don't want him to walk which would be the most likely outcome of that.

The Franchise
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah but voiding the contract also makes him a free agent and Im' sure the Warriors don't want him to walk which would be the most likely outcome of that.

Serious question: Do you think he will be the same player when he comes back from surgery?

MavDynasty
10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
looks like the warrors wont rape us this year in the first round

Sissiborgo
10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Bad For Warriors..

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Thats what you get MAGETTE!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM

the fuck are you talking about?

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
the fuck are you talking about?

think about it

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm guessing he means that by spurning the Spurs offer the karmic pendulum is swinging back to metaphorically hit Maggette in the nuts. That of course assumes that he ever game a damn about winning, which I'm guessing is not the case since he just went after the most money he could get and was willing to sign with the Warriors to get it. He'll cash his checks no matter how much GSW sucks this year.

xtremesteven33
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm guessing he means that by spurning the Spurs offer the karmic pendulum is swinging back to metaphorically hit Maggette in the nuts. That of course assumes that he ever game a damn about winning, which I'm guessing is not the case since he just went after the most money he could get and was willing to sign with the Warriors to get it. He'll cash his checks no matter how much GSW sucks this year.

ding ding ding.....what do we have for him johnny!!!:toast

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
If Ellis comes back before his suspension is up, he should have to play for free.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM

What does Monta getting injured have to do with Maggette getting paid?

ShoogarBear
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM

So then . . . why is Manu hurt?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
So then . . . why is Manu hurt?

Because he's not a believer.

tlongII
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Sounds like Nelson and Mullin will be gone after this year. The new owners of the Warriors made this decision.

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Wow stupid move by Golden State. I understand they can do it, but to dock one of your main players $4 Million is ridiculous. Now Ellis will be pissed. Won't be surprised if he forces a trade sooner than later. Stupid move by the Warriors. Wonder how many free agents will wanna play in Golden State now.

IronMexican
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
He was missnig some games with the injury anyways.

Biernutz
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM
A $4 mil scooter ride? http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/315662jqhqpf35yf.gif

Xylus
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow stupid move by Golden State. I understand they can do it, but to dock one of your main players $4 Million is ridiculous. Now Ellis will be pissed. Won't be surprised if he forces a trade sooner than later. Stupid move by the Warriors. Wonder how many free agents will wanna play in Golden State now.

How is it a stupid move to punish a player who has violated his contract?

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
How is it a stupid move to punish a player who has violated his contract?

Because you are pissing off a player that you just signed. You only do that if you want to piss him off. I doubt they want to do that, he's a damn good player and a young one. $4 Million is a whole lot of money for anybody but especially somebody that hasn't been "paid" yet. Free agents don't like that shit neither. They feel as if the Organization is run more like a business and less like a family. The reason why I'm happy the Lakers didn't pull that with Vlad. Monta will make way more than $4 Million for the Warriors. You can fine him, but 30 days pay is way too much. It will backfire big time. Sometimes you can't always run things like a business. There are times to be sticklers and times to be more lenient with players.

JamStone
10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Bullshit. He should feel lucky they didn't void his contract. Fact is, he might not return even 75% the player he was before the moped incident and he may never be worth $60+ million again. He should feel bad that he pissed the organization off with a deceitful act that violated his contract. Who cares if they piss him off anyway? He violated his contract. He should feel lucky.

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Who has said he might not come back to 75% of the player he was? I haven't heard that. Changes things a bit. But if they think he will come back healthy and play at the level he was before then it's stupid.

Of course if it's some career debilitating injury then they should have just tried to void the contract. Doubt it's that serious though or else they would be trying just that.

JamStone
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I was hypothetically speaking. Didn't he tear a tendon in his ankle? Some shit like that. Fact remains he might not return the player he once was. It wasn't stupid. He did something that violated his contract and is going to miss approximately the 30 games he was suspended for. Why should they pay him for the games he will because of a stupid act that specifically violated his contract? There's no way he should be pissed off at the decision at all.

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I was hypothetically speaking. Didn't he tear a tendon in his ankle? Some shit like that. Fact remains he might not return the player he once was. It wasn't stupid. He did something that violated his contract and is going to miss approximately the 30 games he was suspended for. Why should they pay him for the games he will because of a stupid act that specifically violated his contract? There's no way he should be pissed off at the decision at all.

So there is no truth to him having a career debilitating injury? Well then it's stupid. If they think he will make a full recovery, you fine him a few 100,000 dollars and take the hit. Fact is he will be pissed that they are taking 30 days pay from him, whether it's right or wrong or in his contract or not. No need to have bad blood with such a young and talented player. He will now be bitter towards the Organization and more than likely try to force a trade somewhere down the line. He's a very good player, no need to alienate those types of players. This will also send a red flag to top free agents.

jacobdrj
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
IMHO good move by the GSW.

From my POV, were I free agent in the NBA with a bit of a wild streak, and a bit of 'game', I know for a fact that were I to do something stupid, I would at worst get a proportional dicipline from the GSW. In other words, I messed up, and instead of throwing the book at me, they will suspend me for the amount of time I would have missed work. I don't know this by teams who have not been in this situation. Were I a totally inept spoiled brat of a player and thought Monta's punishment was too harsh, would you REALLY want that kind of player anyways?

As far as GSW themselves go, yeah M.E. might be ticked, but he is under contract, and this prohibits some other team acquiring him and perhaps being a thorn in the sides of the Warriors.

Win win for the Warriors.

JamStone
10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
So there is no truth to him having a career debilitating injury? Well then it's stupid. If they think he will make a full recovery, you fine him a few 100,000 dollars and take the hit. Fact is he will be pissed that they are taking 30 days pay from him, whether it's right or wrong or in his contract or not. No need to have bad blood with such a young and talented player. He will now be bitter towards the Organization and more than likely try to force a trade somewhere down the line. He's a very good player, no need to alienate those types of players. This will also send a red flag to top free agents.

That's just stupid. You break your contract and it causes you to miss 30 games, you shouldn't get paid for those 30 games. Period. If he's going to pissed off because they took $4 million, he should be pissed at himself and his own decision making.

No need to have bad blood? Didn't Monta Ellis cause bad blood with his decision to do something that violated his actually pretty generous newly signed multi-million dollar contract? You make no sense.

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
That's just stupid. You break your contract and it causes you to miss 30 games, you shouldn't get paid for those 30 games. Period. If he's going to pissed off because they took $4 million, he should be pissed at himself and his own decision making.

No need to have bad blood? Didn't Monta Ellis cause bad blood with his decision to do something that violated his actually pretty generous newly signed multi-million dollar contract? You make no sense.

You taking big business/company line. It doesn't work in the world of sports. Reason why everybody loves the Lakers is because they take care of their own. Good motto to follow IMO.

JamStone
10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Take care of their own like they took care of Phil Jackson and Shaq in the summer of 2004?

Take care of Kobe last summer and if what Kobe said was true all this time letting people think Kobe was the one who demanded Shaq get traded?

Yeah ok.

Xylus
10-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Lakers are going to take care of Lamar Odom pretty soon.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Kind of a moot point right now. Right now he's a kid who just signed his first big contract, violated its terms, lied about it, and managed to get hurt badly enough to miss a third of a season. It'll be at least a year before anyone will have any idea if he's learned any lesson and is still able to justify that salary. Until then there won't be a ton of GM's interested in him and that will give the organization and he plenty of time to mend fences.

Purple & Gold
10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Take care of their own like they took care of Phil Jackson and Shaq in the summer of 2004?

Take care of Kobe last summer and if what Kobe said was true all this time letting people think Kobe was the one who demanded Shaq get traded?

Yeah ok.

It was time they went their own ways in 2004. Kobe's opt out year, Shaq cussing at Dr. Buss to pay him, Phil is back so I guess they did take care of him. (Ask Jeannie)

:lol :lol @ people that think the Buss family let Kobe take the blame for the Shaq trade. Dr. Buss came out and said more than once publicly that Kobe had nothing to do with it. He can choose to believe whatever he wants. Most Laker fans (not Kobe fans) realize that Kobe is moody and emotional and don't believe the Buss family let him take the hit for the Shaq trade.

So can you tell me how many former Lakers are still tied to the Organization in some form or another?

T Park
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM
You taking big business/company line. It doesn't work in the world of sports. Reason why everybody loves the Lakers is because they take care of their own. Good motto to follow IMO.

Yeah Robert Horry was really taken care of in 03.

T Park
10-14-2008, 02:07 AM
It was time they went their own ways in 2004. Kobe's opt out year, Shaq cussing at Dr. Buss to pay him, Phil is back so I guess they did take care of him. (Ask Jeannie)

:lol :lol @ people that think the Buss family let Kobe take the blame for the Shaq trade. Dr. Buss came out and said more than once publicly that Kobe had nothing to do with it. He can choose to believe whatever he wants. Most Laker fans (not Kobe fans) realize that Kobe is moody and emotional and don't believe the Buss family let him take the hit for the Shaq trade.

So can you tell me how many former Lakers are still tied to the Organization in some form or another?

What the hell do you think they are gonna say?

"Kobe had a glock to my head, said trade the fat ass, or I walk, so I had to do it. 250 for upper deck seats to watch him please!! :) "

JamStone
10-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Stupid shit. You just said the Lakers take care of their own. Shaq brought the Lakers three titles and they treated him like shit. It doesn't matter how many former players still have ties with the Lakers. It's not an absolute. They treated Shaq like shit. They didn't take care of Phil Jackson. It's just like any other NBA team. There are examples of the Lakers NOT taking care of their own. And, at the end of the day, what happened with Shaq was a business decision, just like the Warriors trying to get money back from Monta is a business decision. Stop criticizing it like the Lakers never do shit like this.

The Franchise
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
To get back on topic Montas' agent is talking about appealing the suspension. How fucking dumb can you be? If Monta signed off on this void his ignorant ass.

Red Hawk #21
10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
All im really hoping for is that Monta can recover well, that kid has to be one of the most exciting players in the Nba.

wb3I80mts48

SpursDynasty
10-16-2008, 05:55 PM
It's pitiful what has happened to this Warriors organization the past few years. This team was so promising once it got back into the playoffs in 2007. Then Jason Richardson leaves. Then the league decides they want to get back at GS for eliminating Dallas, by suspending Jackson 7 games to sabotage their playoff chances. Then Davis leaves. Now they suspend Ellis for playing with his bike.

Red Hawk #21
10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
^Jeff is a legend lol

Xylus
10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Don't feed the troll.

daspurs
10-16-2008, 06:05 PM
i dont understand this at all this is fucking stupid fucker that motherfucking ass bitch cocksucker Donny Muthafuckin Nelson Fuck em!

exstatic
10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
He's fucking lucky to only be losing 4 of 66 million. If I'm GS, I tell him that if he appeals this very justified suspension, his contract will be voided.