PDA

View Full Version : Nash: Playing In Toronto Would Be 'A Dream Come True'

duncan228
10-11-2008, 03:53 PM
'A dream come true' (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2008/10/11/nash_raptors/)
SPORTSNET.CA

Steve Nash would relish the opportunity to play one day for the Toronto Raptors, the two-time NBA MVP told the Globe and Mail.

In an interview with the Globe’s Michael Grange, the Phoenix Suns point guard said he knows his playing days are coming to an end and he can easily envision finishing his career with the Raptors.

"I've enjoyed my success in Phoenix and would love to stay here," Nash said earlier this week. "But if not Phoenix, playing in Toronto would be a dream come true in many ways."

The 34-year-old has one season and a team option for a second left on his contract with the Suns.

"As long as it made sense from a basketball perspective and I could be an asset to a competitive team then I would relish the opportunity of playing (in Toronto)," Nash said, but added he isn’t interested in any ceremonial roles.

"If I was going up there just to hold babies and sign autographs, I think that would get tiresome for everyone pretty quickly."

The Globe story says the Raptors will have roughly $25-million (U.S.) available under the salary cap in 2010 when Nash is excpected to become a free agent.

"He's re-energized," Nash's agent, Bill Duffy told the Globe. "He wants to play past this contract and I'm sure there will be a number of options for him when the time comes."

mavs>spurs2
10-11-2008, 04:07 PM
so much for trying to get a ring..

Xylus
10-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Am I the only Suns fan who gets pretty worried every time the words "play past his contract" are used in regards to Nash?

baseline bum
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
The Suns would be wise to trade Nash this season. Right now he still has a lot left in the tank and has good trade value, but he's not a halfcourt player and will continue to struggle in a slower system like he did last year and playoffs after the Shaq trade. Stoudemire is still a great piece to build around, but you know they have to be incredibly pissed they don't have Joe Johnson anymore.

JamStone
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I think Steve Nash is the type of player that can play effectively well into his late 30s because his game relies so much more on his skills than his athleticism. He does rely on quickness to an extent, but even if he loses a step, I think he'd still be a pretty effective player offensively. That's also if his back holds up and his minutes are monitored and handled well.

baseline bum
10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I think Steve Nash is the type of player that can play effectively well into his late 30s because his game relies so much more on his skills than his athleticism. He does rely on quickness to an extent, but even if he loses a step, I think he'd still be a pretty effective player offensively. That's also if his back holds up and his minutes are monitored and handled well.

Agreed, if he's in a running system like he was in Dallas and Phoenix until last year's trade deadline. Unless Porter plans on running like D'Antoni did, Nash's talents will be wasted.

lefty
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
The Suns would be wise to trade Nash this season. Right now he still has a lot left in the tank and has good trade value, but he's not a halfcourt player and will continue to struggle in a slower system like he did last year and playoffs after the Shaq trade. Stoudemire is still a great piece to build around, but you know they have to be incredibly pissed they don't have Joe Johnson anymore.

+1

jacobdrj
10-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Jalen Rose used to say the same thing...