PDA

View Full Version : Suns Fans Roll Call

Xylus
10-11-2008, 05:10 PM
The 2009 Season is upon us, and there doesn't seem to be too many of us left here at SpursTalk. Let's get an idea of how many Suns fans still lurk in enemy territory.

SAtown
10-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Louis, where are you bitch?

jrod1986
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
This may be the season where I finally ditch Phxsuns.net If it weren't for the awesome news threads...anyway.

RE the Suns:

New season, new coach, new system + old roster. I don't any of those things add up to a championship year. To be honest, I'd just be happy getting out of the first round.

It really is a shame that we didn't have a Plan B or a half-court offense in the D'antoni era, that really came back to bite us multiple times. And I can't help but wonder if our aging roster sort of makes it too little too late.

My heart says Western Conference Finals (again), but realistically I think we're looking at another first-round exit.

SAtown
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Phxsuns.net is a laugh riot during the playoffs. Xylus, wasn't it you they were trying to get rid of during round 1 last season because you posted here? Those guys are a bunch of pussies. Props for staying

jrod1986
10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I do believe Xylus also got mentioned in a news article in a San Antonio paper--though I forget which one.

Xylus
10-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I do believe Xylus also got mentioned in a news article in a San Antonio paper--though I forget which one.

Wait... What??

Edit: After Googling, I came up with this article, from MySA.com:

Spurs supporters use online message boards to meet people, blow off steam

The San Antonio Spurs, as the city’s most successful sports entity, have become the shared folder for the Alamo City’s collective psyche. And if scientists ever want a snapshot of that zeitgeist, they need only study the messages posted on Spurs Talk, a Web site dedicated to the most ardent Spurs fans, where the city’s soul is laid to bare on a daily basis.

Take, for example, the online, real-time diary of the Spurs’ first 2008 playoff game.

There, they would find 2,146 comments that chronicle a few dozen pre-game fears, predictions and boasts written 12 hours before Game 1 against the Phoenix Suns. Then they’d see a rundown of game action, peppered with expletives and non-sequiturs, all posted by fans watching the game unfold.

And then there’s 5:05 p.m., as the Spurs took the ball down court near the end of the first overtime period.

SpursBrazil: We need a big one.

TParks: (responding to a comment about Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni’s suspect abilities) Wow. D’Antoni is an idiot. What a newsflash.

G O D: Spurs are the men that triumph in the faces of their adversaries. Spurs fans, have faith and BELIEVE! V5.0

At this point, in the real world, on the court of the AT&T Center, Manu Ginobili had driven toward the basket, found nothing, and tossed the ball to a wide-open Tim Duncan, who launched a surprising 3-point shot.

Xylus: Absolutely (bleeping) amazing.

rAm: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quiet Strength: hahaha timmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Most of the 33 comments that followed over the next 90 seconds were various expressions of amazement, some peppered with expletives.

Suns fans, who had been kibitzing and rooting their team on for the previous 57 pages, didn’t reappear until the bottom of Page 60, when Xylus typed: “Popovich just outplayed D’Antoni.”

The Spurs survived another wild day in the life of Spurs Talk, Spurs Report, Project Spurs and a handful of other Spurs-themed message boards set up to provide a podium to preach from and an ear to bend, around the clock and around the world.

Pick a team — any sport, any city, any country, any college — and there’s likely a sports forum (or two, or three or 20) dedicated to it.

A SENSE OF CAMARADERIE

Sports message boards have evolved from geek fests into tightly knit and tightly wound global communities, say site owners. Each has its own ebb and flow.

And of course, there’s conflict. The Internet, like a good story, thrives on tension.

“It’s like an online versions of a sports bar — camaraderie and fan arguing,” says Kori Ellis, who founded Spurs Talk with her husband in February of 2003. “Sports message boards, more than anything, offer a lot of camaraderie and arguing. It mimics what goes on in a bar.”

Her users represent all corners of global society. There are plenty of San Antonio people from all walks of life, as well as fans from around the nation and from places as distant as Argentina, Slovenia, and China.

The group runs the economic and social spectrum. It also runs the emotional spectrum, from the casual fan to the clearly obsessed.

“There are people who are just jerks on the board, but in real life,” Ellis says, “they’re regular people.

“It’s easy to hide behind a computer screen and write stuff. Even I do it. I’m not afraid to be angry. In real life, I’m not sure I’d say that stuff. In real life, I wouldn’t tell someone to shut up. I do it online, but I’d never do that in real life.”

Spurs Talk doesn’t moderate comments very much. Ellis realizes the board’s value as a place to blow off steam if the Spurs play badly.

“I don’t do anything after a game,” she says. “I let it sit for a few hours, then I’ll go back in and clean up comments that need it.”

INVADING ANTAGONISTS

Not everyone on Spurs Talk is a fan of the silver and black. There are plenty of Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit fans on the board. So many, in fact, that Ellis has created separate forums for them to root for their own teams. The site gets 3 million views monthly.

Message boards targeted toward one fan base always draw fans of competing teams. These users usually show up to create mischief.

That’s the case at Texags.com, a board dedicated to Texas A&M and based in Bryan. Things got so bad there that the ownership group, led by Brandon Jones, formed an entire forum for opposing fans to spew venomous comments about the Aggies.

Generally, Jones says, he and his staff of 20 volunteer moderators (there’s also a handful of paid staffers who work on billing, promotion and other parts of the business) oversee 7,000 to 10,000 users who visit the site daily. Texags gets 1 million page views daily. Keeping the peace isn’t easy, and Jones says success is a double-edged sword.

“The more people you get into the boiling pot,” he says, “the more opportunity there is for dispute and conflict.”

Conflict, however, breeds community.

“Whenever you get to a certain size of community,” Jones says, “pretty incredible things start to happen because of the breadth of humanity that you capture.”

For Texags, the turning point was the Bonfire collapse in 1999, when 13 students died. Texags became an around-the-clock beacon for Aggies to connect, find out information and express their sorrow.

Ellis has seen her community develop, too. She routinely hosts get-togethers for playoff games or for important regular-season contests. She’s even hosted the board’s users at her own home.

“One time, we had tickets to the game so we put Big Zack (who asked not to be identified by his real name) in charge of the barbecue at our house,” she said. “And we left.”

BONDING BY WIRE

During its early days, Luddites and alarmists worried that the Web would make people more distant. Instead, it’s made them closer.

“It’s getting pretty well accepted now,” says Steve Jones, a professor of communications at the University of Illinois-Chicago. “There’s not a lot of stigma with it. The younger you are, the more acceptable it becomes. Every time we have a new technology, there’s some kind of moral panic about it. We’re concerned about our kids, and rightly so, but radio, television and the Internet haven’t had the detrimental effect on our children that we thought they’d have.”

Big Zak counts some of the other Spurs Talk users as his closest friends. They don’t replace his other friends, but rather form a second set. Others described it as a purer form of friendship since it’s based on a common interest rather than looks, economic status or geography.

“It connects people from around the world who have one thing in common,” said Bo Durkop, 24, who posts as Remington Bo.

“I’m a Spurs fan,” said Joe Ruiz, KSAT’s web editor. “I like to talk about the Spurs with other Spurs fans. And you end up being friends with people you never would’ve decided to hang out with. You would never have known them.”

Ellis has a background in forging real-world bonds on the Web. She met her husband, who posts on Spurs Talk as “Timvp,” via their messages on Spurs Report.

Another couple is currently courting after meeting at a Spurs Talk game-watching party. Mandy Simon and her fiancé were posting on Spurs Talk for years before that, though their romance didn’t start until the party.

She was among two dozen Spurs Talk users who gathered to watch the Spurs’ penultimate regular-season game, a brutal 106-85 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.

It was a happy crowd, where emotions ran the gamut — pregame optimism, midgame intensity, and, finally, gallows humor.

Gung-ho fans began clamoring to see their favorite bench players. Others grumbled about coaching decisions or players mailing it in. One offered derisively to buy a round for the whole room if the Spurs hit 85 points. When DerMarr Johnson sank a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left, the crowd howled and the beer flowed.

Minutes earlier, another restaurant patron had wandered into the party room where Spurs Talk was gathered.

“Can I watch the game in here?” he asked.

“Sure,” someone in the crowd responded. “It’s R-rated.”

“There isn’t a lot of profanity used against the Spurs, is there?” he asked.

A voice snapped back.

“Depends.”
The room erupted into laughter.

[email protected]

That's just like a Spurs fan, to quote me at my absolute lowest moment. Regardless, I had no idea I'm such a huge celebrity in SA. :hat

BlackSwordsMan
10-11-2008, 05:57 PM
where is that princess dude?

Allanon
10-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Suns fans, who had been kibitzing and rooting their team on for the previous 57 pages, didn’t reappear until the bottom of Page 60, when Xylus typed: “Popovich just outplayed D’Antoni.”

:downspin::lol:lmao:rollin

No wonder they tried to ban your ass

:lol:lol

I used to hate the Suns with a passion a few years ago, hated Bell, hated Nash's stupid hair, but these days I just feel sorry for them. To be so close to a championship, it's gotta be pretty hard as a human being.

Good luck in the season Suns fans. :toast

SAtown
10-11-2008, 06:20 PM

Louis doesn't show herself until the playoffs. She's a closet Rockets fan anyways though...

Xylus
10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
:downspin::lol:lmao:rollin

No wonder they tried to ban your ass

:lol:lol

Hahaha... I still visit phxsuns.net just about daily, and I occasionally make posts in game threads from time to time. I hold no grudge against the guys who raised issue with me posting here, and I hope they have no hard feelings aimed at me. I'm as much of a Suns fan as they are.

All Suns fans are equal, but some are more equal than others.

N4th4n
10-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I am here and excited about the season!

Anti.Hero
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
DaSunsFag. Scoreboard bitch!

dirk4mvp
10-11-2008, 07:21 PM
To be so close to a championship,

When was this?

Allanon
10-11-2008, 07:26 PM
When was this?

Your Mavs were right there too...

dirk4mvp
10-11-2008, 07:28 PM
yeah I know. I was just being an ass. but since all the douche sunsfans left, there's nobody to take the bait.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2008, 07:31 PM
:lol

Allanon
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
yeah I know. I was just being an ass. but since all the douche sunsfans left, there's nobody to take the bait.

:D, sorry.

Xylus
10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
This may be the season where I finally ditch Phxsuns.net If it weren't for the awesome news threads...anyway.

RE the Suns:

New season, new coach, new system + old roster. I don't any of those things add up to a championship year. To be honest, I'd just be happy getting out of the first round.

It really is a shame that we didn't have a Plan B or a half-court offense in the D'antoni era, that really came back to bite us multiple times. And I can't help but wonder if our aging roster sort of makes it too little too late.

My heart says Western Conference Finals (again), but realistically I think we're looking at another first-round exit.

I'm really excited about this upcoming season, and I think we'll actually get past the first round this time (assuming we don't face San Antonio). Most people are predicting a 6th-8th seed for us this year, but I think with our new found depth (Barnes, a much improved Tucker, Dragic), we'll have the endurance to win 55 games.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm really excited about this upcoming season, and I think we'll actually get past the first round this time (assuming we don't face San Antonio). Most people are predicting a 6th-8th seed for us this year, but I think with our new found depth (Barnes, a much improved Tucker, Dragic), we'll have the endurance to win 55 games.

Honestly I agree. The Suns have slowly gathered together a good amount of talent this offseason. Don't count out Lopez either.

What's the deal with DJ?

Xylus
10-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Honestly I agree. The Suns have slowly gathered together a good amount of talent this offseason. Don't count out Lopez either.

What's the deal with DJ?

I guess the organization didn't see much improvement in DJ's game--while consequently, fellow sophomore Alando Tucker showed marked improvement over the summer--so they traded him to Houston for Sean Singletary.

jrod1986
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
When was this?

But not to worry, Jordan retired in the offseason so the 'Chip was ours next season!

Oh, wait.

But not to worry, the Suns signed Danny Manning in the '94 offseason to complete a roster that was pretty loaded on talent...the 'Chip would be ours next season!

Oh, wait.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I guess the organization didn't see much improvement in DJ's game--while consequently, fellow sophomore Alando Tucker showed marked improvement over the summer--so they traded him to Houston for Sean Singletary.

Oh yea, I'm an idiot, I forgot about that trade.

Jeremy
10-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm here. Looking forward to seeing how the season goes for the Suns.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
The sun has set on Phoenix

Xylus
10-12-2008, 12:32 AM

That's really clever.

I hear the Rockets are getting ready to blast off this year.

td4mvp21
10-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Hopefully JMarkJohns, Xylus, and Ron Mexico are the only ones.

dirk4mvp
10-12-2008, 02:19 AM

I love how all you faggot ass "rox" fans are so confident now that Pills plays for you.

The Franchise
10-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I love how hard I ride the Rockets jocks.

Clown.

Roxsfan
10-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I love how all you faggot ass "rox" fans are so confident now that Pills plays for you.

fuck you little boy.

Xylus
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Don't fuck up my topic with needless flaming.

LavaLamp
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I am looking forward to this season as well. It's like a cold war arms race in the NBA (especially in the West) as teams try to gain an advantage.

Really look forward to seeing the powerhouse teams Rockets, Spurs and Lakers play, and hoping the Suns can pull it together and compete well.

dirk4mvp
10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Clown.

hi "rox" fan of 3 months.

Roxsfan
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't fuck up my topic with needless flaming.

you're not winning a fucking nobel peace prize for this fucking thread, so calm the fuck down.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2008, 05:24 PM
you're not winning a fucking nobel peace prize for this fucking thread, so calm the fuck down.

you're not winning a fucking nobel peace prize for this fucking comment, so calm the fuck down.

Xylus
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Actually, I have won a Nobel Peace Prize for this topic. It's on my fucking mantle, you twat.

Roxsfan
10-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Actually, I have won a Nobel Peace Prize for this topic. It's on my fucking mantle, you twat.

wow, you showed me.

congrats on your N.P.P.:toast

Xylus
10-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks.

IronMexican
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Good luck. This regular season wont be fun if the Suns aren't good.

Purple & Gold
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow I remember when this forum was littered with suns fans. :lmao @ how they still haven't won shit.

anakha
10-12-2008, 08:09 PM

You mean Louis? He's trolling over on the main Spurs board, under a new username.

It's pretty easy to guess who he is, though. For someone who hates the Spurs, he sure keeps in touch with ST pop culture. :D

JMarkJohns
10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm kinda sorta checking in.

It's almost reached the point where I'm so pissed at Robert Sarver that I'd be willing to root against the Suns for his sake if it meant starting enough of a trend that he's forced to sell his controlling interest.

And why the hell haven't I been quoted in SA papers bashing D'Antoni? I've blasted that guy here longer than most Spurs fans have! :)

byrdman31
10-13-2008, 08:40 PM
:flag: not here to flame, just cant wait for this match up starting with the first game of the season! hopefully they can meet up again in the playoffs and give us another show!

benefactor
10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Good luck this year guys...its been a helluva ride with our two teams.

ClingingMars
10-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Go Singletary Go!

-Mars

Kobayagi
10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I wanna see Dragic on a good team...so yeah, go Suns. :cheer

pauls931
10-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Signing in. Looking forwards to seeing Dragic, Barnes, and the foul magnet.

jack sommerset
10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I still can't believe the Suns did not win one lousy ring this decade.

cactus
10-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh, hi

mojorizen7
10-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Hopefully JMarkJohns, Xylus, and Ron Mexico are the only ones.

Not the only ones....but i'm not exactly a resident here.
Anyway, D'Umbtoni is gone so if the SUNS can get into the playoffs healthy we've got a better chance of simply competing. The days of being up 3 with 5.4 sec on the clock & giving up W I D E open three's instead of intentionally fouling are OVER.
Shaq will get hurt, talk shit,get hurt again, and continue to talk shit....but when playing he'll control the defensive boards which is good because it looks like R. Lopez is gonna be a foul magnet.
Barnes will prove valuable on both ends & have a breakout year.
Goran Dragic will have a good season proving to be what Nash isn't....a defensive guy that can distribute & chip in on the glass.
Barbosa essentially missed ALL of training camp so i have no idea where he's gonna fit in to Coach Porter's plans. Barbs still can't guard a chair so he'll have to score...ALOT in order to get big minutes IMO.
Barbs missing training camp(his mother was deathly ill but is now recovering supposedly) was the single biggest tragedy of this offseason IMO.

I expect the offense to be ugly early....but it should improve. I expect the SUNS to make a deal before the deadline for a pure shooter.
The rebounding will be solid, the "D" will be erratic but vastly improved.
If the old men are healthy come the post season, I like our chances to advance to the Western Finals.... simply because the Moron & his one trick, circus act, gimmick of an offense is now in NY.

RonMexico
10-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm still here, but any type of forum/msg board got banned at work (i.e. SpursTalk, Deadspin, etc), so I'll probably be looking for a new job by the first game of the season to support my habit or only posting at night.

I'm in Phoenix right now for a wedding and went to the Suns last preseason game against the Thunder. They looked alright, but they turned the ball over too much for my taste (23 TOs). Second unit looked pretty good and despite Diaw's increased girth, he actually played decently, getting 5 first half rebounds. Barnes looked really good (12 pts, 7 ast, 5 reb) and Grant Hill's move to the bench can help the reserves with some experience and add an extra ballhandler.

Obviously, as a fan, I remain optmistic for the season, but they will have to overcome some strong teams in the West to get anywhere (youth in LA, NO; experience in SA; tough squad in Utah; and new unit in Houston).

21_Blessings
10-25-2008, 01:48 PM
lol @ starting Matt Barnes and the Shaq trade. Suns fans will experience the real Shaq this year. You know the one who will embelish little injuries and take 50% of the season off while complaining about the lack of touches.

Better hope Nash/Amare play all 82 otherwise have fun in the lottery.

Darthkiller
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
this just might be my last year as a suns fan.

mojorizen7
10-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Why wait? Leave now. There's plenty of room on the Houston/Portland bandwagon....and there's ALWAYS good seats available in LA LA land.

RsxPiimp
10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
bulls are wide open

pauls931
10-25-2008, 07:12 PM

bandwagoner....