PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Undrafted Tolliver Shoots For Spot On Spurs' Roster

duncan228
10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Undrafted Tolliver shoots for spot on Spurs' roster (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Undrafted_free_agent_Tolliver_shoots_for_spot_on_S purs_roster.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

Two games into a preseason Anthony Tolliver hopes will prove he merits a spot on the Spurs' roster, the rookie free agent already has shown coach Gregg Popovich he understands the most important truth of pro basketball: Shooters must shoot, no matter what.

Signed by the Spurs after making an amazing 16 of 28 3-pointers in seven summer league games, he has made only five of 24 shots in the team's two preseason games.

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward was 2 for 10 in Friday's 89-84 loss to the New Orleans Hornets at the AT&T Center, with both makes from 3-point range.

“My shots haven't been falling,” he said after Friday's contest, in which he also grabbed a game-high six rebounds, “but that's something that they know I can do, and I know I can do.

“So, I'm going to keep shooting when I'm open. It's not really a big deal.”

An over-abundance of adrenalin likely resulted in long-range inaccuracy in his first two games. Each of his 3-point misses was on line. Most were slightly long.

“I think there's something going on with his shot,” assistant coach Mike Budenholzer said, “whether it's pressing, or he's just too excited. We've noticed that most of his shots are on the back of the rim. He's geeked up. We've got to get him to cut back on the Cheerios in the morning.”

Preseason relaxation is a rare commodity for an NBA rookie without a guaranteed contract. Tolliver acknowledges he has been trying too hard.

“The majority of my shots are directly on,” Tolliver said, “but just a little too strong,” Tolliver said. “Tim (Duncan) keeps telling me to just slow down a little bit and calm down, but it's kind of hard in the first couple of games. (Thursday) was the first game, and this was the first home game, so it was hard to relax. I'm sure I will start doing what I do.”

Tolliver's willingness to keep shooting has impressed the coaches.

“I think the fact he keeps shooting and stays aggressive is a great sign,” said Budenholzer. “He's a great shooter, and when you're a great shooter you've got to keep shooting.”

The Spurs see Tolliver as the sort of sweet-shooting big man they use to open the floor, much as Robert Horry did in his five seasons with the Spurs. Shooting alone, though, won't earn him a roster spot.

“Coach Pop told me this summer he saw that I can shoot it,” Tolliver said, “and now I have to prove I can rebound and defend at this level. I think I've done a pretty good job, especially rebounding. I've tried to concentrate on the defensive rotations and make it my main focus.”

Back to work: After giving his players a day off after their back-to-back preseason games, Popovich scheduled a morning practice today.

They also are to practice on Monday morning before flying in the afternoon to Grand Rapids, Mich., where they will play the Detroit Pistons on Tuesday.

Their only extended road trip of the preseason will continue Thursday, when they are to meet the Cavaliers at Cleveland's Gund Arena.

T Park
10-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds to me like Tolliver is a lock.

knee-knee-3
10-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Sounds to me like Tolliver is a lock.

I hope you're right. He seems to have an invaluable skill set for a big man.

Darkwaters
10-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Despite the fact that Tolliver has been shooting poorly in preseason I still like him. He looks scrappy. I'd love to see Bonner dumped so that Tolliver and Watkins could potentially be kept.

Buddy Holly
10-12-2008, 02:21 AM
I like that he keep shooting. A lot of people during the two games complained about it, mostly because he missed, but the fact is, had he not been shooting, they'd be bitching that he wasn't. Also, from the game I saw streamed over the internet, he did other things like hustle for the board, etc.

I liked what I saw.

Ice009
10-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Despite the fact that Tolliver has been shooting poorly in preseason I still like him. He looks scrappy. I'd love to see Bonner dumped so that Tolliver and Watkins could potentially be kept.

Yep. There is maybe 3 players I'd like to make the team. There is also two players that are already signed that I don't really want on the team. I don't know if we have enough roster spots. What does Pop do if these guys kick ass the rest of the preseason and those other two stink it up?

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Does Tolliver do anything else but put up shots as soon as he gets the ball in his hands? I'm asking seriously. I really don't remember him having an impact otherwise, even in SL.

Manu-of-steel
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
poop matt bonner, if tolliver regains his touch, bonner to the dog house

spurs50_
10-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I really hope Tolliver makes the team. He's a good rebounder as well as a shooter, I think he just needs to calm down a bit. I'm also anxious to see Stoudamire play, heard he's a scorer, but what can we do with so many point guards?

benefactor
10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Does Tolliver do anything else but put up shots as soon as he gets the ball in his hands? I'm asking seriously. I really don't remember him having an impact otherwise, even in SL.
He seems to be a very good rebounder...which we desperately need. There were a couple of games during the SL where he had multiple offensive rebounds.

He has a very nice looking shot. I think its a little bit of what he said in the article...he just needs to relax a little. He is only 23...5 years younger than Bonner...and he already more active on the floor than Bonner. I think he is worth keeping and developing, even if it means he spends the better part of the season on the Toros.

td4mvp21
10-12-2008, 11:40 AM
How tall is Tolliver?

duncan228
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
How tall is Tolliver?

Spurs.com has him at 6'8, 240.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 11:46 AM
How tall is Tolliver?

The article at the top of this thread has him at 6'8, 240.

Bruno
10-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I haven't been impressed at all by what I've seen from Tolliver in SL and during the first preseason game.
I hope Tolliver (or another training camp invite), will show more things in the coming preseason games. None has struck me as a really interesting NBA prospect so far.

Bruno
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
And Tolliver has been measured at 6'8.5" with a 7'2.5" wingspan last year.

Flux451
10-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I think we need Tolliver and Watkins. It is too bad we don't have room for Salim. If we didn't have Bonner or Vaughn we would be where we need to. They are dead weight.

td4mvp21
10-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Wow the article at the top says how tall he is. Fuck my stupidity.

SenorSpur
10-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I think we need Tolliver and Watkins. It is too bad we don't have room for Salim. If we didn't have Bonner or Vaughn we would be where we need to. They are dead weight.

Yeah I agree. It's starting to seem as though both Bonner and Vaughn are going to be nothing more than an albatross on this team's limited roster spots. We already know what both these guys can and CAN'T do. Neither have much trade value, so it's likely the Spurs are stuck with them.

When you factor in Bonner's wild inconsistency and poor play, I believe Tolliver's place is secure.

I'd much rather have Watkins, Salim, and even Hairston for that matter, get the nod over these two.

spurs50_
10-12-2008, 02:36 PM
What can Watkins do that mahiini (?) can't do? Someone convince me. I like Tolliver but I don't know who else.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow the article at the top says how tall he is. Fuck my stupidity.

:lol

If you stay on a message board long enough, you're going to make mistakes like that. I'm a league leader in that stat.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 02:47 PM
What can Watkins do that mahiini (?) can't do? Someone convince me. I like Tolliver but I don't know who else.

Block a shot, get a rebound, make a dunk, be healthy. In a perfect world, I'd have Mahinmi and Watkins on the roster.

spurs50_
10-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Do the Spurs need to submit a final roster before the start of the season, if so, what is the date? thanks

Buddy Holly
10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Trade Bonner and Vaughn for second round picks in 2010 or something.

Get rid of them!

td4mvp21
10-12-2008, 03:30 PM
:lol

If you stay on a message board long enough, you're going to make mistakes like that. I'm a league leader in that stat.

True. I even read that sentence I just didn't pay attention to where it said he was 6'8'' :lol