PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question for Sooner Fans...

Duff McCartney
10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
This is a serious question and I just want to hear serious thoughts on this. I don't even know why I say that cause I know some Texas douche is gonna come post some garbage.

But I digress....how much longer do you give Bob Stoops? I was having this discussion last night with my cousin about how much longer does Stoops stay around. I think that two more years if he doesn't win the big one. I think since 2000 when they won the national title Oklahoma hasn't won a big game at all. Not in the regular season or in the post-season. All their title games in 03-04 they got outplayed and destroyed.

The past few years they've lost to inferior opponents when they are ranked number 1. The Fiesta Bowl last year and the year before they lost and save for 2005 when they had a down year and won their non-BCS Bowl game...they haven't been able to win big games.

And I think he's a great coach. He's built a great program at Oklahoma and every year they are a top 3 team in the country. But they haven't been able to win either the title nor many Bowl games since 2000.

What are your thoughts?

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I always think it's funny that the team was number one in the nation until yesterday, and now Bob suddenly forgot how to coach.

I blame the OU fans for not cheering loud enough.

j-6
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
He'll make 6.5M this year - by far the highest paid in the country - and won a national title less than ten years ago. Six BCS bowls in nine years - three for the title. He'll leave when he feels like leaving or some NFL team throws Monopoly money at him. I know you asked for Sooner Fan's input but I've been hating on the Visor for a long time now and you can't ask for a better replacement because they don't exist.

Honestly, you sound like Texas Fan bitching about Coach February.

Duff McCartney
10-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on Stoops or anything. I love him as a coach and like I said I know he built a great program up again.

I just feel that since 2002 when they won the Rose Bowl...everytime a big game comes along that Oklahoma plays in they seem to be unprepared to win. Losing to inferior opponents. That's all I'm asking.

I know that you can't find a better replacement. It's just not gonna happen. But that's why I was asking how long do you give Stoops?

I say that in the sense that Oklahoma is a big time big name program. It's not some sorry ass team that any kind of success and they keep the guy around forever. It's like what have you done for me lately with big programs. Texas, USC, Miami, Alabama, Oklahoma. All those big name programs don't like to be fucked with when it comes to coaches and they'll keep any coach on a tight leash.

When it comes to big time programs coaches get fired for less than what Bob Stoops has done in recent years. Hell people have been giving Pete Carroll shit in recent years because they've lost to sorry ass underdog teams when they were ranked 1 or 2.

That's all I'm saying.

tonylongoriafan
10-12-2008, 01:59 PM
as a texas fan, i say you have to give him many more years...you have to look what bob as been able to build since he's got there. and things change so quickly. i know you're looking at losing 3 of the 4 to texas and stumbling in the bowl games, but a head coaching change, even a great coach coming in, would be a lateral move.

you have to look at what bob as done overall. the way he's built that program by coming into to texas and basically taking half of the best players pisses me off to no end (as a longhorn fan).

that said, ou probably needs to win their bowl game and finish strong!

Trainwreck2100
10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
it may happen sooner or later.

MajorMike
10-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Be for real. Every last mullet wearing trailor park trash white redneck with a 4th grade education (think Joe Dirt; its a reality in Oklahoma) that is a self proclaimed uo fan worships darth visor. Switzer was held to a different standard because... well because he was Switzer (everyone worships a 60 year old that sleeps with college cheerleaders). A year after they ran Switzer off they wanted him back. goon fans are not even close to wishing darth visor was gone.

j-6
10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on Stoops or anything. I love him as a coach and like I said I know he built a great program up again.

I just feel that since 2002 when they won the Rose Bowl...everytime a big game comes along that Oklahoma plays in they seem to be unprepared to win. Losing to inferior opponents. That's all I'm asking.

I know that you can't find a better replacement. It's just not gonna happen. But that's why I was asking how long do you give Stoops?

I say that in the sense that Oklahoma is a big time big name program. It's not some sorry ass team that any kind of success and they keep the guy around forever. It's like what have you done for me lately with big programs. Texas, USC, Miami, Alabama, Oklahoma. All those big name programs don't like to be fucked with when it comes to coaches and they'll keep any coach on a tight leash.

When it comes to big time programs coaches get fired for less than what Bob Stoops has done in recent years. Hell people have been giving Pete Carroll shit in recent years because they've lost to sorry ass underdog teams when they were ranked 1 or 2.

That's all I'm saying.

I think it comes more from the distaste of having good squads that somewhat consistently lose their bowl game over and over, making you forget how good they were all season. Who have they lost to since 02? I know Boise and WV were their last two bowl opponents and they lost in the title game to LSU one year and SC the other.

Before Stoops, the Sooners hadn't even won a conference title in a dozen years or so. I think you guys got spoiled too quickly - winning a national title his second year after dealing with Blake's product. The only halfway mediocre year he's had there was the season Texas won the national title.

I think a lot of the bowl losses are from the overall brain drain OU experiences - losing coordinator-level guys year after year. Mike Leach was his first OC...do you know who's had that job since then? Mark Mangino, Chuck Long, Kevin Sumlin, and Kevin Wilson. When Wilson inevitably gets his shot after this year, Josh Heupel will probably get the call and he's less than ten years removed from leading OU to the title on the field.

johngateswhiteley
10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
stoops makes $6.5 million.

Whisky Dog
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
You're actually suggesting OU buy out that big ass contract to replace him with most likely an inferior coach or at best an equal? Big XII schools wish OU was that stupid.

Seriously, do you realize how hard it is to win a National Championship? Some people have ridiculous, out of this world expectations. OU played a damn good game yesterday but ran into a team playing a bit better. It happens.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I think a lot of the bowl losses are from the overall brain drain OU experiences - losing coordinator-level guys year after year. Mike Leach was his first OC...do you know who's had that job since then? Mark Mangino, Chuck Long, Kevin Sumlin, and Kevin Wilson. When Wilson inevitably gets his shot after this year, Josh Heupel will probably get the call and he's less than ten years removed from leading OU to the title on the field.

WOW. That's amazing.

Extra Stout
10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
This is a serious question and I just want to hear serious thoughts on this. I don't even know why I say that cause I know some Texas douche is gonna come post some garbage.

But I digress....how much longer do you give Bob Stoops? I was having this discussion last night with my cousin about how much longer does Stoops stay around. I think that two more years if he doesn't win the big one. I think since 2000 when they won the national title Oklahoma hasn't won a big game at all. Not in the regular season or in the post-season. All their title games in 03-04 they got outplayed and destroyed.

The past few years they've lost to inferior opponents when they are ranked number 1. The Fiesta Bowl last year and the year before they lost and save for 2005 when they had a down year and won their non-BCS Bowl game...they haven't been able to win big games.

And I think he's a great coach. He's built a great program at Oklahoma and every year they are a top 3 team in the country. But they haven't been able to win either the title nor many Bowl games since 2000.

What are your thoughts?
The notion that Bob Stoops would be on the hot seat because his team is only in the Top 10 every year, and occasionally going to "ordinary" BCS bowls, as opposed to winning multiple national championships, strikes me as the height of absurdity. I suspect that OU fan remembers the 1990's and is not so spoiled as to push for so foolish a move as that.

Your premise is holding Stoops to a standard that no coach in America could possibly ever meet.

FromWayDowntown
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
All their title games in 03-04 they got outplayed and destroyed.

How many schools would kill to have a coach who had struggled in all of his title games over the last 5 years?

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Tommy Bowden's looking for a job...

Duff McCartney
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm not saying I want Stoops fired or anything but like I said at big name college programs coaches often get fired for the smallest bit of mediocrity.

Hell John Cooper got fired at Ohio State and had the most wins behind Woody Hayes and he still got canned. Granted he had a shitty record against Michigan but he still got the boot.

That's all I'm saying.

Duff McCartney
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
The notion that Bob Stoops would be on the hot seat because his team is only in the Top 10 every year, and occasionally going to "ordinary" BCS bowls, as opposed to winning multiple national championships, strikes me as the height of absurdity.

The point wasn't that they reach those levels. The point was that when they get there they always seem to be unprepared and they lose.

Hell it's like taking the Spurs for instance. Sooner or later (no pun intended) you can only get to the WCF so many times and lose everytime before they can the coach.

Yeah they consistently get to BCS Bowl games...and they consistently lose them.

Extra Stout
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
The point wasn't that they reach those levels. The point was that when they get there they always seem to be unprepared and they lose.

Hell it's like taking the Spurs for instance. Sooner or later (no pun intended) you can only get to the WCF so many times and lose everytime before they can the coach.

Yeah they consistently get to BCS Bowl games...and they consistently lose them.
You can't compare it to professional basketball, where one or two superstar players can make a winning team, and where adding the right coach can put a team over the top. In the college game, players come and go every few years. When a team like Oklahoma is close to the top year in and year out, it's because of the coach. And coaches who can do that are just so, so rare. You simply cannot take for granted that just because OU is OU, that they will be in the Top 10 every year. They won't. Look at Michigan. Look at Florida State. Look at Miami. Look at OU ten years ago. If they were so stupid as to get rid of Stoops, the chances are 99.9% they regress to being a 7-5 or 8-4 team hoping to play in the Alamo Bowl, and 0.1% that they stay the same or get better. Chances are 100% that schools like Texas A&M and Nebraska would dump their coaches that same afternoon to get Stoops.

There are only a half-dozen coaches of his caliber in all of college football. If you've got him, you hold onto him. You under no circumstances get rid of him so you can play the 1000-1 odds you can find somebody better.

DMX7
10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Stoops isn't getting fired anytime soon. I can't believe that's a serious question and I'm not even an OU fan. In fact, I don't like OU at all.

monosylab1k
10-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Success at Oklahoma came too quick for Stoops. In his second year they won the NC, and he was hailed a genius immediately, so everything less is a failure from that point on, and as time goes by those fans just get more restless without realizing what a great coach they had.

It was almost the opposite for Texas. For years Mack couldn't "get the job done" by beating the Sooners or winning a national championship, which caused everyone to go apeshit, calling for him to be fired. His monumental mishandling of the Major Applewhite/Chris Simms situation certainly didn't help his cause. But now fans of the Longhorns at least have a more realistic expectation of what Mack can do as opposed to Sooner fans expecting Stoops to deliver 14-0 national championship seasons every single year.

johngateswhiteley
10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Success at Oklahoma came too quick for Stoops. In his second year they won the NC, and he was hailed a genius immediately, so everything less is a failure from that point on, and as time goes by those fans just get more restless without realizing what a great coach they had.

It was almost the opposite for Texas. For years Mack couldn't "get the job done" by beating the Sooners or winning a national championship, which caused everyone to go apeshit, calling for him to be fired. His monumental mishandling of the Major Applewhite/Chris Simms situation certainly didn't help his cause. But now fans of the Longhorns at least have a more realistic expectation of what Mack can do as opposed to Sooner fans expecting Stoops to deliver 14-0 national championship seasons every single year.

thats a good point. i think t.u. and ou are both fortunate to have the coaches they do...and both should not act crazy when they have a down year. be thankful they aren't going through what A&M fan is. lots of resources, but lots of suck.

does seem that this Jerrod Johnson is going to be the real deal though...his last game was crazy. 400+ passing 60+ rushing.