PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Still Ticking? - Hoopsworld Article

SenorSpur
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10226

Spurs Still Ticking?

By: Yannis Koutroupis Last Updated: 10/10/08 7:13 PM

There was nothing less important in the Spurs' first preseason game than the final score of 85-78 in the Rockets' favor. Spurs' veterans Tim Duncan, Kurt Thomas, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, and Manu Ginobili all sat out the game, leaving the Spurs with the youngest roster they've fielded in years. The Spurs have seen all they need to see from the guys that sat out last night's game. The most important thing is to find out what they can get from the guys outside of their solid core of veterans.

Three important players in particular were inserted into the starting lineup: Roger Mason, Ime Udoka, and Matt Bonner. While none of them are expected to be a starter, the hope is that they can become contributors and a part of the nightly rotation. That doesn't change despite the poor outings from them against the Rockets.

Mason was underwhelming in his Spur debut, a disappointing sign from a guy who has to have a big year for the Spurs to be successful. At this point though Mason's knowledge of this system is minimal and there is no real reason to be concerned. The athletic and offensive abilities that convinced the Spurs to sign him were on full display though, and we should see a much better Mason as he becomes more comfortable.

Nobody looked more upset about Ron Artest being a Rocket than Udoka when defending him last night. Udoka had his struggles on both ends of the court, which isn't too surprising with the Spurs missing Duncan and Ginobili. Udoka has always been a role player that is capable of excelling when playing off of stars. He needs Ginobili or Parker to do the creating and Duncan patrolling the paint behind him.

The same reasoning could be applied towards Bonner's offensive struggles, although defensively there's no excuse for pulling down just three rebounds in 24 minutes. Robert Horry was an outside threat for the Spurs, but more importantly he was intelligent defender who could hold his own in the paint. While Bonner can shoot from deep like Rob could, if he cannot keep from being a liability on the defensive end and in the paint he's not going to play.

The player most under the microscope outside of the above three had to be rookie George Hill, who was making his NBA debut. Once he got the nod in the second half he made a couple rookie mistakes. Overall though it was evident that Hill belonged and along with those mistakes was some nice moves offensively and an impressive five steals.

Should the Spurs carry the maximum of 15 players allowed this season there is just two roster spots for Charles Gaines, Desmon Farmar, Devin Green, Malik Hairston, Anthony Tolliver, Darryl Watkins, and Salim Stoudemire. Gaines, Green, and Farmar's chances of making the team are extremely slim and as of right now Hairston and Watkins have to be thought of as the favorites to get the final roster spots. There is still time though for Salim to impress and earn a spot on this team, although he has to get healthy first.

With the New Orleans Hornets next for the Spurs on their preseason back-to-back we will likely see more of the veterans. This will certainly make things easier for guys like Bonner, Udoka, and Mason. It will also take away some time from the fringe roster guys. Don't be surprised to see a cut or two from the Spurs in the next couple of days as they start to get closer to trimming their roster down to 15. You cannot really take anything too positive or negative away from their first preseason game. It's early, and if we've learned anything from the Spurs it's that their peaking process takes a bit longer than everyone else's.

Manufan909
10-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Hope he's right about Watkins being on the roster, and if Salim makes it too I hope Green Farmar and Hairston can be put on the Toros, so the Spurs have dibs on them next year. And why o why was Tolliver picked over Gist? We have enough 3pt shooters(Matt, Bruce, Ime, Fin, Manu), WTF!?!

Allanon
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Nobody looked more upset about Ron Artest being a Rocket than Udoka when defending him last night.
This cracked me up :lol

Should the Spurs carry the maximum of 15 players allowed this season there is just two roster spots for Charles Gaines, Desmon Farmar, Devin Green, Malik Hairston, Anthony Tolliver, Darryl Watkins, and Salim Stoudemire. Gaines, Green, and Farmar's chances of making the team are extremely slim and as of right now Hairston and Watkins have to be thought of as the favorites to get the final roster spots.

Watkins and Hairston have been the best of the camp scrubs by far. Unless those other guys bust out against Detroit or Cleveland, I think there will be some cuts this Friday.

Edit: I forgot about Farmer, he showed some life too.

tav1
10-13-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10226

Spurs Still Ticking?

By: Yannis Koutroupis Last Updated: 10/10/08 7:13 PM

There was nothing less important in the Spurs' first preseason game than the final score of 85-78 in the Rockets' favor. Spurs' veterans Tim Duncan, Kurt Thomas, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley, and Manu Ginobili all sat out the game, leaving the Spurs with the youngest roster they've fielded in years. The Spurs have seen all they need to see from the guys that sat out last night's game. The most important thing is to find out what they can get from the guys outside of their solid core of veterans.

Three important players in particular were inserted into the starting lineup: Roger Mason, Ime Udoka, and Matt Bonner. While none of them are expected to be a starter, the hope is that they can become contributors and a part of the nightly rotation. That doesn't change despite the poor outings from them against the Rockets.

Mason was underwhelming in his Spur debut, a disappointing sign from a guy who has to have a big year for the Spurs to be successful. At this point though Mason's knowledge of this system is minimal and there is no real reason to be concerned. The athletic and offensive abilities that convinced the Spurs to sign him were on full display though, and we should see a much better Mason as he becomes more comfortable.

Nobody looked more upset about Ron Artest being a Rocket than Udoka when defending him last night. Udoka had his struggles on both ends of the court, which isn't too surprising with the Spurs missing Duncan and Ginobili. Udoka has always been a role player that is capable of excelling when playing off of stars. He needs Ginobili or Parker to do the creating and Duncan patrolling the paint behind him.

The same reasoning could be applied towards Bonner's offensive struggles, although defensively there's no excuse for pulling down just three rebounds in 24 minutes. Robert Horry was an outside threat for the Spurs, but more importantly he was intelligent defender who could hold his own in the paint. While Bonner can shoot from deep like Rob could, if he cannot keep from being a liability on the defensive end and in the paint he's not going to play.

The player most under the microscope outside of the above three had to be rookie George Hill, who was making his NBA debut. Once he got the nod in the second half he made a couple rookie mistakes. Overall though it was evident that Hill belonged and along with those mistakes was some nice moves offensively and an impressive five steals.

Should the Spurs carry the maximum of 15 players allowed this season there is just two roster spots for Charles Gaines, Desmon Farmar, Devin Green, Malik Hairston, Anthony Tolliver, Darryl Watkins, and Salim Stoudemire. Gaines, Green, and Farmar's chances of making the team are extremely slim and as of right now Hairston and Watkins have to be thought of as the favorites to get the final roster spots. There is still time though for Salim to impress and earn a spot on this team, although he has to get healthy first.

With the New Orleans Hornets next for the Spurs on their preseason back-to-back we will likely see more of the veterans. This will certainly make things easier for guys like Bonner, Udoka, and Mason. It will also take away some time from the fringe roster guys. Don't be surprised to see a cut or two from the Spurs in the next couple of days as they start to get closer to trimming their roster down to 15. You cannot really take anything too positive or negative away from their first preseason game. It's early, and if we've learned anything from the Spurs it's that their peaking process takes a bit longer than everyone else's.

This is just stupid. He draws way too many conclusion from one pre season game. I'm not handicapping things, but if I were I'd say FarmEr has no worse chance of making the team than Hairston. I could go on and on.

This is an article that should have been written next week, not now. Is there an editor at HoopsWorld?

Manufan909
10-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Tav, it's Hoopsworld. Every article they write should be taken with a grain of salt.

tav1
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Tav, it's Hoopsworld. Every article they write should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I know. And I'm still amazed it was published.

The Truth #6
10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I know. And I'm still amazed it was published.

I didn't think it was that bad. He may have inferred too much from one game but his general assessment was correct.

K-State Spur
10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Nobody's going to say it?

Okay...

:lol:lol:lol hoopsworld :lol:lol:lol

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Once someone says Mason's not expected to be a starter, you can pretty much take the rest of the facts for what they're worth.

ElNono
10-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Once someone says Mason's not expected to be a starter, you can pretty much take the rest of the facts for what they're worth.

What makes you think he will be? Honest question. I think Finley will start.

benefactor
10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
And why o why was Tolliver picked over Gist? We have enough 3pt shooters(Matt, Bruce, Ime, Fin, Manu), WTF!?!
Umm...Gist left on his own.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Umm...Gist left on his own.

I think the Spurs told him to go over there so he could work on his game. If the Spurs wanted him on the Spurs this year, he would have been.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 05:02 PM

No, it's a fair point. The only reason Fin might start is because he's in shape, which is a relatively new development. I probably should have worded it better, but Mason is much more likely to start than Udoka or Bonner, IMO. You might go so far as to say that the starting job is his to lose with Manu out.

benefactor
10-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I think the Spurs told him to go over there so he could work on his game. If the Spurs wanted him on the Spurs this year, he would have been.
That was just speculation...wasn't it? And if we are being honest, it's really up to him whether or not he stays here or goes over seas. Furthermore, I would think it's a pretty risky move to tell your young draft pick to go to Europe where they pay more than you can pay when he comes back. He could easily like the money and stay for more.

mrspurs
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Agreed the Fins will be starting again. And all this weight he lost isnt gonna do much for playing great defense. With Fins its hit or miss and thats the way its gonna be for him at this stage in his career.

DPG21920
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
That was just speculation...wasn't it? And if we are being honest, it's really up to him whether or not he stays here or goes over seas. Furthermore, I would think it's a pretty risky move to tell your young draft pick to go to Europe where they pay more than you can pay when he comes back. He could easily like the money and stay for more.

That is what the Spurs do. Look at Ian Mahinmi and Ginobili. They are left over seas to develop off the Spurs books. Sometimes it works as in the case of Manu and Ian, and sometimes it backfires as in the case of Javtokas and Splitter.

tp2021
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM

I think in the thread James Gist Signs in Italy Bruno had something to say on the matter. IIRC the Spurs want to keep him and develop him but didn't think they would have room on the roster. So, he signed in Europe. It's what they wanted Marcus Williams to do last offseason. And the contract is for 2 years, with the option to opt out after this year (first year).

tp2021
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102646&highlight=james+gist+signs+italy

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2703872&postcount=54

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Agreed the Fins will be starting again. And all this weight he lost isnt gonna do much for playing great defense. With Fins its hit or miss and thats the way its gonna be for him at this stage in his career.

The whole reason for his workout program was to improve his lateral movement, which translates directly to defense. Finley was a great defender earlier in his career, and has done well at it for the Spurs when he decided to.