PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich Might Wish He Had Ex-NBA Star

duncan228
10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Popovich might wish he had ex-NBA star (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_might_wish_he_had_ex-NBA_star.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

With one small slip of the tongue — a Freudian slip, perhaps — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich nearly added an imposing post player to the Spurs' preseason roster.

For the briefest of moments, Darryl Watkins became Darryl “Chocolate Thunder” Dawkins.

Discussing how injuries have thinned the ranks of his big men, Popovich lamented the lost opportunity to take a long preseason look at injured second-year forward-center Ian Mahinmi. But he mixed up the name of Watkins, the 6-foot-11, 258-pound big man from the University of Memphis, with that of Dawkins.

“The disappointment is that Ian can't play,” Popovich said after Sunday's practice session. “He was going to get 35 to 38 minutes a game to see how far he had come. He came a long way last year in the D-League. We wanted to see that.

“I'm still not going to play Tim (Duncan) or Fab (Oberto) much, so we'll go small and play Dawkins — wait, what's-his-name, Watkins — and (Charles) Gaines as much as we have to so we can keep those guys rested.”

Dawkins, the 6-11, 250-pound center nearly as famous for naming his spectacular dunks as for completing them, played 14 seasons in the NBA, from 1975-76 to 1988-89.

Mahinmi's sprained right ankle has kept him out of practice since training camp began, and he is not expected to return before the preseason ends.

Popovich said forward Anthony Tolliver will continue to get many of the minutes he had planned to give Mahinmi.

“It's a great opportunity for Tolliver to see what he can do,” he said. “He's going to get a lot of minutes. He's doing a good job. He hasn't shot it as well as he'd like, but he's shown more of a focus on rebounding and playing defense and doing little things on the court.”

Long session: Unofficially, Popovich ran the Spurs through their longest practice of the preseason, a session lasting nearly three hours.

According to point guard Tony Parker, it also was one of the best practices of training camp.

“It was a great practice,” Parker said. “Everybody worked hard, everybody shot the ball well and passed well. We got a lot of work done.”

benefactor
10-12-2008, 11:03 PM
“I'm still not going to play Tim (Duncan) or Fab (Oberto) much, so we'll go small and play Dawkins — wait, what's-his-name, Watkins — and (Charles) Gaines as much as we have to so we can keep those guys rested.”
So was this a compliment or an "I can't remember your name/your outta here when the preseason is over anyway" statement? I would hope it wouldn't be the latter.

“It's a great opportunity for Tolliver to see what he can do,” he said. “He's going to get a lot of minutes. He's doing a good job. He hasn't shot it as well as he'd like, but he's shown more of a focus on rebounding and playing defense and doing little things on the court.”
Pop overlooking his shooting? We could have a new man crush on our hands. Either that or he is just looking for any reason to hammer nails into Bonner's coffin.

remingtonbo2001
10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
:pctoss @ Ian's situation.

tomtom
10-12-2008, 11:35 PM
dang i really hope mahinmi still has a chance

Steve-O-Matic
10-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Poor Watkins. Not only does his coach screw up his name, but in the one article that gets written about him the writer screws up his alma mater (he went to Syracuse, not Memphis).

Manufan909
10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Poor guy. From what he's shown, he deserves a spot on the roster. Whether Bonner or Ian take that away is another story. Is it possible to put him on the Toros?

Bruno
10-13-2008, 05:06 AM
It sucks for Mahinmi.

First, while missing the first couple of weeks (mainly practices), wasn't a that big deal, missing all the preseason games sucks. these games were the best way for Mahinmi to show Pop that he was NBA ready. If Thomas, Oberto and Bonner are solid, it will be quite hard for Mahinmi to get a chance.

Second, Spurs also have to decide whether or not to pick the option on him for next year before the end of the training camp. I still expect Spurs to pick it because it's a cheap salary, Ian has shown good thins last year and they have nobody else in the pipeline, but this injury could give them some doubts about it.

tav1
10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Poor guy. From what he's shown, he deserves a spot on the roster. Whether Bonner or Ian take that away is another story. Is it possible to put him on the Toros?

From what he's shown? Ugh?

He's played fairly well, but how has his play justified a roster spot.

I always cheer to the training camp guys, and I'm cheering for Watkins, but let's stay grounded....he probably needs to go to another level and sustain it for the remainder of the preseason before he is deserving of anything.

tav1
10-13-2008, 09:52 AM
It sucks for Mahinmi.

First, while missing the first couple of weeks (mainly practices), wasn't a that big deal, missing all the preseason games sucks. these games were the best way for Mahinmi to show Pop that he was NBA ready. If Thomas, Oberto and Bonner are solid, it will be quite hard for Mahinmi to get a chance.

Second, Spurs also have to decide whether or not to pick the option on him for next year before the end of the training camp. I still expect Spurs to pick it because it's a cheap salary, Ian has shown good thins last year and they have nobody else in the pipeline, but this injury could give them some doubts about it.

Agreed.

Bad luck for everyone.

Allanon
10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
“The disappointment is that Ian can't play,” Popovich said after Sunday's practice session. “He was going to get 35 to 38 minutes a game to see how far he had come. He came a long way last year in the D-League. We wanted to see that.

I had wondered if Pop would back Ian up this year or go with his vets. It sounds like Pop was committed to giving Ian a huge chance which is surprising. Too bad about the injury.

From the preseason so far and that comment and his Oberto/Duncan comment, it sounds like Pop is finally going young again which is a good sign for the Spurs. Hopefully he keeps it up throughout the season.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
From what he's shown? Ugh?

He's played fairly well, but how has his play justified a roster spot.

2 blocks a game, six rebounds a game in about 19 minutes per? If we're making decisions after two games he's already impressed me more than Ian did in the entire summer league.

HarlemHeat37
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
agree with O_View, as usual..Watkins is looking like the type of player that we desperately need next to Duncan..athletic and plays defense..I hope he keeps it up..if not to actually give us production, then to at least make Ian work harder for it..

SenorSpur
10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
With Pop's notorious impatience with young players, it's refreshing that he's giving these guys a chance to show what they can do. The injury with Ian couldn't have occurred at at a worse time. It does sound as though he's losing patience with him. Is he eligible for yet another stint in D-league or is his 2-yr assignment over?

I would like to see Watkins get a fair shot to make the roster. His skills and post-presence are exactly what the doctor ordered in a reserve big.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
With Pop's notorious impatience with young players, it's refreshing that he's giving these guys a chance to show what they can do. The injury with Ian couldn't have occurred at at a worse time. It does sound as though he's losing patience with him. Is he eligible for yet another stint in D-league or is his 2-yr assignment over?

I would like to see Watkins get a fair shot to make the roster. His skills and post-presence are exactly what the doctor ordered in a reserve big.

Pop isn't notoriously impatient with young players, he's notoriously impatient with players he's decided that he doesn't like. Rasho, Nazr, Beno, Elson, Bonner, etc. Has nothing to do with whether or not they are young. Young guys with brains, a strong work ethic and the ability to keep their head up are probably going to be okay.