PDA

View Full Version : Lakeview College Employee Shot

JoeChalupa
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I just registered there.

SAN ANTONIO -- An employee of Lakeview College was shot and killed in the campus library Monday, college officials said.

The gunman, who was believed to be an employee of the college, was in police custody, officials said.

The campus, which is located in the 8300 block of Pat Booker Road, was placed under lockdown.

Lakeview College Employee Shot (http://www.ksat.com/news/17705609/detail.html)

SpursWoman
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I just drove by there a while ago, I was wondering WTF was going on.

That's terrible. :(

JudynTX
10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
:( Condolences go out to this guy's family.

ploto
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow-I turned down a job in that library just a few weeks ago. It is brand new. I wonder if either were library employees!

RIP

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow-I turned down a job in that library just a few weeks ago. It is brand new. I wonder if either were library employees!

RIP

Both were.

SpursWoman
10-13-2008, 05:49 PM

For the Pat Booker location? Or the new one still under construction on Kitty Hawk? That Kitty Hawk campus looks really, really nice so far. :tu

ploto
10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
For the Pat Booker location? Or the new one still under construction on Kitty Hawk? That Kitty Hawk campus looks really, really nice so far. :tu

Oh, it was for the new one. I thought they were supposed to have moved into the new library by now.

ploto
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM
All I have found out is the person killed was male.

CubanMustGo
10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
mysa.com story (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Shooting_reported_at__Northeast_Lakeview_College.h tml)
By Melissa Ludwig and David Rauf - Express-News

A part-time employee of Northeast Lakeview College shot and killed another employee in the library Monday afternoon, according to a school official.

Eric Reno, president of the college, said at 2:15 p.m., the 62-year-old gunman walked into the library in the 8300 block of Pat Booker Road and shot a librarian. He then sat down and waited to be arrested. At this time, there is no motive for the shooting.

"I wish we had an explanation for why this happened," Reno said.

Several people were in the library when the shooting occurred. Everyone who was in the building was evacuated.

Classes at Northeast Lakeview College, an Alamo Community College school, have been canceled tonight and Tuesday because of the shooting. Reno said students would be offered counseling.

The two men, whom Reno knew, worked closely together, he said. The gunman had worked at the college for two years. The victim, who was in his late 30s, had been at the school a little over a year.

Reno said that the gunman had shown no signs of instability.

The library had security cameras but no metal detectors, Reno said.

"I don't know how anyone could predict something like this happening. This is not something you can plan for or prevent. I would hate to think that's what we've come to — have metal detectors and become mini-airports

Reno said they will be offering counseling for students. The next step is "we've got to get back to the business of teaching. ... I think you can imagine the kind of impact this would have, especially on the students who want to come to a safe haven to get an education.

After the shooting, students gathered across the street from the campus, which is a transitional campus that houses administrative offices, school services and a few classes.

Matt Hernandez, who works in a bookshop about 100 feet away from the library, said he heard about six or seven gunshots. He said he then heard screaming and someone running down the hallway. He and a co-worker hid under a table until security came by and told them it was safe to come out.

Marcos Delgadillo, 21, who had been going to Northeast Lakeview for about a year, said he was on the way to the library for tutoring and research. By the time he had arrived, police were at the scene and the building was blocked off.

"If I hadn't proscratinated getting here, I could have been there. It's so weird to think this could happen at the school. It's so small."

He added, "I can't say I've ever seen any kind of confrontation at the school."

Lazarus Salinas, a 22-year-old sophomore, said he was in the Dairy Queen across the street, studying when a girl walked in. He could tell she was nervous, he said, and was shaking and wanting to use the phone. Salinas overheard her say she was in the building when she saw somebody shooting. She ran out of the building and didn't stick around to see what was happening.

"It's pretty crazy. I could have very easily been in there studying. I guess I'm just fortunate I was across the street.," Salinas said.

Luis Rubio, a 21-year-old freshman, said he had just left for class for another class at the new campus.

"It happens every day. Read the papers — it's part of everyday life.'

Udokafan05
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I go to the school and the new library isn't completed yet. The guy that was killed was great mentor to many students. RIP

Dr. Gonzo
10-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I just got back to work after a month absense and I found out the guy that got killed used to be a librarian here at UTSA. He was a nice dude. It's a shame that this happened.

JudynTX
10-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I go to the school and the new library isn't completed yet. The guy that was killed was great mentor to many students. RIP

I just got back to work after a month absense and I found out the guy that got killed used to be a librarian here at UTSA. He was a nice dude. It's a shame that this happened.

FYI.....

http://blogs.accd.edu/devin-memorial

angel_luv
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Sad news indeed.

I had contemplated taking a class at Lakeview this semester. I think it is a nice school. All the staff I spoke to were very kind and helpful.

ploto
10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Since names are now public:

Students and faculty are mourning the loss of a librarian gunned down at a college campus on the Northeast Side Monday.

Although Tuesday's classes at Northeast Leakview College were canceled, two counselors were inside the school to help students and faculty deal with their loss.

"We've all, we're just grieving," said Ana Merritt, who is a faculty member at Northeast Lakeview College. "That's all I can say. It's just been a very sad day."

Flowers, notes and cards were set up outside the library where Devin Zimmerman was killed.

"I just heard, heard the chaos," explained student Melissa Gomez. "People yelling and screaming to get out of the people. So, the first thing that ran through my mind was to run. I just ran."

Police said Alan Godin walked into the library and shot 37-year-old Zimmerman several times. Godin then sat down and waited for police.

Police swarmed the campus after the shooting and are still piecing together what happened.

"Right now, at the present time, the investigation is ongoing," said ACCD Deputy Chief Joe Curiel.

At least 10 students were inside the library during the attack. No one else was hurt.

Classes are expected to resume Wednesday.

The men were co-workers, Zimmerman staffing the library during the day and Godin at night. There had apparently been some previous dispute about "work ethic," said Dan Pew, the acting chief of the Live Oak Police Department, which was assisting in the
investigation.

Godin had worked part-time at the library since 2003. Zimmerman started working at the school last fall.

The campus, one of five Alamo Community Colleges around the city, has about 4,100 students.

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=632871f4-60f8-40f4-9c31-ad1bdbd82102

A family friend said Tuesday that Devin Zimmerman was a devoted worker. Authorities say it could have been a work disagreement that led to the Ray High School graduate's murder at the San Antonio community college library where he was employed.

Zimmerman, 37, was shot and killed at the Northeast Lakeview College library Monday. A fellow librarian, Alan Godin, was arrested at the scene and has been charged with murder.

Officials believe Godin walked into the library Monday afternoon and shot Zimmerman. Zimmerman staffed the library during the day and Godin worked there at night. Police suspect they had some previous dispute about "work ethic," said Dan Pew, the acting chief of the Live Oak Police Department, which was assisting in the investigation.

Mark Pugh, a preacher at Kings Crossing Church of Christ in Corpus Christi, where Zimmerman's mother is a member, said she was baffled Monday night. Family members could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Zimmerman graduated from Ray in 1989, according to an alumni directory.

"I did spend time with his mother (Monday night) before she went to San Antonio," Pugh said. "She was remarkably well-composed."

"She talked about Devin and what a hard worker he was and how he was devoted to his job. He was a very bright young man."

Janet Griffith, a family friend, said Zimmerman participated in youth group functions with her children at Windsor Park Church of Christ.

"He was very serious minded and a good student," Griffith said. "He was active in the youth group and participated in leadership training programs."

Griffith said she has not seen Zimmerman since he moved away to go to college, but she has remained close to his mother.

Zimmerman started working at the 4,100-student school last fall. Godin had worked part-time at the library at the 4,100-student campus since 2003.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/oct/15/ray-grad-killed-in-san-antonio/

Students and faculty at Northeast Lakeview College established a small memorial for Devin Zimmerman just a few feet from where he was shot and killed Monday.

Zimmerman, a librarian at the Alamo Community College school on the city's northeast side, was shot and killed Monday afternoon by 62-year-old Alan Godin inside the school's library, police and campus official said.

The librarian was described Tuesday as a poet, friend and teacher who loved his job and the students he worked with.

"Today has been a day to grieve," faculty member Ana Merritt said. "A day to give thanks for the life that you have and the job that you have."

Investigators said Tuesday they've not yet established a motive for the shooting. Godin allegedly shot Zimmerman multiple times before sitting down and awaiting police. The suspect was a part-time employee in the school library, as well as an active member of a community theater group in Boerne.

"I was shocked, and my first thought was, it has to be a case of mistaken identity, and as I found out, that wouldn't be the case," said Anne Cannon.

Cannon said she worked with Godin and his wife in various theater productions.

"There was never any indication in the time I've known him and worked with Alan Godin that he would ever be the person who would do that," she said.

Classes that were cancelled Monday evening and all day Tuesday are expected to resume Wednesday, school officials said.

http://www.ksat.com/news/17717376/detail.html

ploto
10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

This morning Devin passed away, out of the blue, I remembered that I needed to follow up with him about a request he had made last week. I wrote him a brief email very conscious that I needed to tell him that he was appreciated, and his request could be easily met.

At 1:44 PM, he replied as always, very polite even though I had taken long to get to him. I read his email, closed it and thought, “He is always very resourceful and very understanding.” Then I left the college to go have lunch.

When I returned, the whispers in the hallway started about the shooting and that Devin was in critical condition. I opened up the email stamped 1:44 PM and prayed for him. No, not this sweet guy…this can’t happen. Let him make it. Then I thought about his wife and her pain if she were to lose him. Little did I know that by that time, he was already gone.

I don’t believe my prayer was in vain. Although part of my prayer was for him, it was also for his beautiful bride. My condolences go to everyone who is hurt by the loss. Your wonderful husband, brother, son, friend will never be forgotten by us.

Dr. Laura

angel_luv
10-15-2008, 02:42 PM

This morning Devin passed away, out of the blue, I remembered that I needed to follow up with him about a request he had made last week. I wrote him a brief email very conscious that I needed to tell him that he was appreciated, and his request could be easily met.

At 1:44 PM, he replied as always, very polite even though I had taken long to get to him. I read his email, closed it and thought, “He is always very resourceful and very understanding.” Then I left the college to go have lunch.

When I returned, the whispers in the hallway started about the shooting and that Devin was in critical condition. I opened up the email stamped 1:44 PM and prayed for him. No, not this sweet guy…this can’t happen. Let him make it. Then I thought about his wife and her pain if she were to lose him. Little did I know that by that time, he was already gone.

I don’t believe my prayer was in vain. Although part of my prayer was for him, it was also for his beautiful bride. My condolences go to everyone who is hurt by the loss. Your wonderful husband, brother, son, friend will never be forgotten by us.

Dr. Laura

That was beautifully written and quite touching.

Jekka
10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
This made the ALA weekly digest, too - Link (http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/currentnews/newsarchive/2008/october2008/txlibrariankilled.cfm)