PDA

View Full Version : After Denver: Allen Iverson ’The Answer’ For Detroit And San Antonio?

duncan228
10-13-2008, 04:37 PM
After Denver: Allen Iverson ’The Answer’ For Detroit And San Antonio? (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/after-denver-allen-iverson-the-answer-for-detroit-and-san-antonio-ar49155.html)
Oly Sandor
Hoopsvibe.com

There is no chance Allen Iverson stays in Denver. If the Nuggets struggle, he gets traded for prospects/cap relief. If the Nuggets are competitive, he still could get traded because his contract expires in July. If the Nuggets keep him for the year, he leaves as an unrestricted free agent come summer.

One thing is certain: ownership won’t extend Iverson. The club is losing money and George’s Karl’s offensive experiment has failed, which means a rebuilding project is approaching. Expensive veterans, even talented ones, won’t work long-term.

The superstar understands the situation. The winds of change are about to blow in Colorado. His bags are likely packed; the realtor’s ‘For Sale sign is ready.

Any mid-season trade is temporary. Iverson, as an unrestricted free agent in July of 2009, can pick between suitors. Will he sign with a mediocre team for big money and first-option status? Or will he sign with a contender for less money and less shots?

Hopefully, Iverson chooses the latter. The tiny guard should offer to be the top reserve on an established squad. The critics, the ones who claimed he wouldn’t sacrifice or play within a team concept, would be silenced.

Detroit and San Antonio would be perfect for a slightly toned down version of ‘The Answer’. Both should look at signing him next summer.

The Pistons have gambled on temperamental stars before. In February 2004, they took a risk acquiring Rasheed Wallace and a few months later were rewarded with an NBA Title. ‘Sheed’ was the missing ingredient and the post’s behaviour has improved in Detroit.

Joe Dumars must consider the All-Star scorer. This summer, the Pistons’ head suit talked publicly about changing his club and Iverson would provide a Wallace-like jolt. The problem is Rodney Stuckey. A superstar sixth-man would hinder the prospect’s development. Stuckey, like all budding youngsters, needs minutes.

Go big or go home. That’s the Texas way. The Spurs should follow the state mantra and upgrade their core with the Georgetown alum. Iverson would make a great second-unit game-changer; his presence would push Manu Ginobili into the starting five.

San Antonio needs the tweak. The west has gotten better. Houston traded for Ron Artest, New Orleans signed James Posey, and the Los Angeles Lakers are expecting the Andrew Bynum-Pau Gasol combo to deliver. The black-and-silver could counter these moves by going fast in the backcourt with Iverson and Tony Parker (talk about a deadly combo off the dribble).

Gregg Popovich, Tim Duncan, and the Spurs would mesh with Iverson. The franchise’s four championships demand respect, while A.I. has been a model citizen with the Nuggets. Finally, ‘Pop’ is close with Iverson’s former coach Larry Brown, so he would do his research before making any commitment.

Like it or not, Iverson’s run in Denver is winding down. What happens next impacts his legacy. Hopefully, he joins a contender and we can again watch him in June.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 04:39 PM
that would be sweet, but i do not see it happening.

tp2021
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
+1

vy65
10-13-2008, 04:42 PM
The black-and-silver could counter these moves by going fast in the backcourt with Iverson and Tony Parker (talk about a deadly combo off the dribble).

I just soiled my pants thinking about that.

JamStone
10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Doesn't really makes sense for either team. Iverson is one of my favorite players in the league, maybe my most favorite player of the last 10 years. But, he's a volume shooter of the worst kind. He not only has to take all the shots, but he also needs the ball in his hands at all times. Even if Detroit parted with Billups in the process, the Pistons don't really have the personnel to fit around Iverson. They're not a great offensive rebounding team (though they could be better this year if Amir and Max get more and more PT), and the Pistons don't run isolation offensive sets nor really get up and down in transition. I would have loved Iverson on the Pistons like 6-7 years ago. That time has past.

I think it's a similar problem were he to join the Spurs. He doesn't really fit considering he would be similar to Tony Parker in that he would be slashing a lot to the rim and would need the ball in his hands a lot. So, unless the Spurs planned to move Parker (which would obviously be stupid considering his age and Iverson's age), Iverson would have problems fitting into the offense.

tav1
10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Iverson said good things about San Antonio after the radio flap of a couple years ago.

Still, I'm not sure this makes much sense on any number of levels. The Spurs would have to play small to get everyone minutes. Money they could use of their front line or a wing would go to AI, etc...

xtremesteven33
10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
PG-Parker
SG-Iverson
SF-Ginobili/Bowen
PF-Duncan
C-Oberto

hmmmm.....

G-Nob
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, you'd have to put up with Allen's mom, who's like five years older than him.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I love Allen, but I don't want him taking shots away from Parker, Ginobili or Duncan, which is exactly what he'd do.

benefactor
10-13-2008, 05:04 PM
NO

jack sommerset
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thats what the Spews need, a 34 year old. Anyways I doubt they will get him. The only note worthy FA was paid by Cuban to play for the Spews.

Big P
10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I love Allen, but I don't want him taking shots away from Parker, Ginobili or Duncan, which is exactly what he'd do.

Not if he comes off the bench with the second unit.

meestahmeestah
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
"The club is losing money"

I find that hard to believe considering Kroenke owns the building and every team that plays in it (NBA, NHL, Arena League, indoor lacrosse and some other junk) and his own cable network. There's no way Kroenke's not making money hand over fist.

Having said that, living in Denver and seeing a few Buttnuggets games since AI's come here...no way would I want him on the Spurs. Dude is a vortex...the ball doesn't come out of his hands. Maybe that'd be different if he had a Parker or Ginobili or Duncan he felt could finish (and trusted them enough to give 'em the rock) but every single crunchtime possession I've seen with the Buttnuggets goes something like this...scrub PG gets the ball to AI or Melo, who dribbles the ball till there's :03 on the shot clock, then throws a fallaway J over 3 outstretched defenders, then scowls at the rest of his team going back down the court off the rebound.

No thanks.

tav1
10-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Big P: Ginobili is the second unit. And so is George Hill, who'll need consistent minutes.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Not if you let the Spurs play with a second basketball either, which is about as likely.

Indazone
10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Iverson would be a great pickup for the Spurs. How he fits in is another story. But I'm going to say it again. Spurs need a big. They are overflowing at PG and SG.

exstatic
10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
AI shoots too much, and at a poor percentage. That isn't going to change, ever. We already have the version of AI that we need in Tony. He has ALL of the good parts, none of the bad parts, and is WAY younger.

T Park
10-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Iverson would fit in perfectly, but the Spurs have nothing the Nuggets want, and the guys the nuggets want the Spurs won't give up

IE Bonner from the Spurs and the Nuggets wanting Ginobili.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Iverson would fit in perfectly, but the Spurs have nothing the Nuggets want, and the guys the nuggets want the Spurs won't give up

IE Bonner from the Spurs and the Nuggets wanting Ginobili.

True that, so hopefully he'll want to sign with us after he opts out next year.

bigfan
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I dont see Pop putting up with his bs.

Allanon
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I can't believe I'm agreeing with T Park but he's right. The trade pieces just aren't there for Iverson. Nuggets would be way better off picking up some pieces from Portland, Chicago and possibly even New York.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Not if you let the Spurs play with a second basketball either, which is about as likely.

In this scenario the only way AI would come to the Spurs is by signing as a free agent next season, because the trade possibility is not probable. So, if he decided to sign with the Spurs, you know he would probably do it for less money because the Spurs only have the MLE to spend. So if he takes less money you can assume he is doing it because he wants to win. If he wants to win, then he will do what it takes even if that means coming off the bench.

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I can't believe I'm agreeing with T Park but he's right. The trade pieces just aren't there for Iverson. Nuggets would be way better off picking up some pieces from Portland, Chicago and possibly even New York.

Quit it, you know you like me :D :lol

SenorSpur
10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
AI shoots too much, and at a poor percentage. That isn't going to change, ever. We already have the version of AI that we need in Tony. He has ALL of the good parts, none of the bad parts, and is WAY younger.

For anyone and everyone on this board that would even begin to entertain the possibility of the Spurs acquiring "The Answer", read the statements above - AGAIN and AGAIN.

Does anyone wonder why Denver is willing to part with him? Between him and Carmelo, they've got no offensive flow, terrible chemistry and porous defense. Does anyone really think that AI, after 12 years being a prolific scorer, shot-taker and and shot-maker, is going to change his style of play now? Forget it.

Don't fall in love with the player. Instead, consider how he affects the style and chemistry of your team. AI is superb talent, but a supreme "ball-hog" and a "rock pounder". He'd also wouldn't play for the minimum, which is about all the Spurs would have to offer.

All of which is why this move makes no sense for the Spurs and it WILL NOT happen.

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually AI would fit in really well with the Spurs because he does score and score well, especially in crunch time.

Also he serves as a huge scoring dynamic and is not that bad of adefensive player.

AI would play ball, and has shown he will in Denver, hes been a team player and has not been a problem one bit there.

I think their biggest problem is Karl has worn out his welcome and they've just gone 100% away from what wins in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
10-13-2008, 06:29 PM
"What we talkin' 'bout? Practice? I mean, really. All we're talkin' 'bout is practice. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice? How am I gonna get better by practice?"

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah and hes grown up.

Trust me, I used to be one of the biggest Alan Iverson haters on this forum and said I wouldn't want him on the Spurs at all.

He has changed, matured, and showed he can be a team player and just wants to win.

Not wanting Iverson on the Spurs because of something he said 6 or 7 years ago is foolish.

tp2021
10-13-2008, 06:35 PM
It is pretty classic and :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Doesn't really makes sense for either team. Iverson is one of my favorite players in the league, maybe my most favorite player of the last 10 years. But, he's a volume shooter of the worst kind. He not only has to take all the shots, but he also needs the ball in his hands at all times. Even if Detroit parted with Billups in the process, the Pistons don't really have the personnel to fit around Iverson. They're not a great offensive rebounding team (though they could be better this year if Amir and Max get more and more PT), and the Pistons don't run isolation offensive sets nor really get up and down in transition. I would have loved Iverson on the Pistons like 6-7 years ago. That time has past.

I think it's a similar problem were he to join the Spurs. He doesn't really fit considering he would be similar to Tony Parker in that he would be slashing a lot to the rim and would need the ball in his hands a lot. So, unless the Spurs planned to move Parker (which would obviously be stupid considering his age and Iverson's age), Iverson would have problems fitting into the offense.

Agreed.

SenorSpur
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah and hes grown up.

Trust me, I used to be one of the biggest Alan Iverson haters on this forum and said I wouldn't want him on the Spurs at all.

He has changed, matured, and showed he can be a team player and just wants to win.

Not wanting Iverson on the Spurs because of something he said 6 or 7 years ago is foolish.

Naw, I'm not holding it against him. I just think his statements were priceless and damn funny. :lol

To your point, I sense that he's matured too. I fully realize he's not been a problem up in Denver. However, his style of play hasn't changed one bit. There's only so many shots to go around. Manu, Tony and Tim must get their shots. Where are the extra touches going to come from to accomodate AI?

The manner in which the Spurs move the ball to whomever has the open shot is a philosophy that is foreign to AI. I cannot see him adjusting to this style - no matter how much he's matured.

The Franchise
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I can see Iverson being the main scorer off the bench for the Spurs. That would move Manu to the starting lineup, making your bench and starting squad that much stronger.

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Naw, I'm not holding it against him. I just think his statements were priceless and damn funny. :lol

To your point, I sense that he's matured too. I fully realize he's not been a problem up in Denver. However, his style of play hasn't changed one bit. There's only so many shots to go around. Manu, Tony and Tim must get their shots. Where are the extra touches going to come from to accomodate AI?

The manner in which the Spurs move the ball to whomever has the open shot is a philosophy that is foreign to AI. I cannot see him adjusting to this style - no matter how much he's matured.

Manu and Tim aren't gonna play 40 minutes either.

AI and Tony in at the same time provides a gigantic dynamic scoring wise alot of teams can't counter.

AI is not a Michael Finley where he NEEDS 10 or 12 shots a game to have a good stretch of games.

I think If he gets 15, then hes fine. Hes also a great playmaker and can set up other guys, and if you can have two Tony Parkers in at the same time, your pretty damn unbeatable.

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I can see Iverson being the main scorer off the bench for the Spurs. That would move Manu to the starting lineup, making your bench and starting squad that much stronger.

AI would start, Ginobili would come off the bench.

Ginobili comes in for Parker, Mason for Bowen.

Then start of the second or end of the first, Parker comes in for AI.

Very easy to do :)

The Franchise
10-13-2008, 06:48 PM
AI would start, Ginobili would come off the bench.

Ginobili comes in for Parker, Mason for Bowen.

Then start of the second or end of the first, Parker comes in for AI.

Very easy to do :)

I like your plan better.

T Park
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I like your plan better.

I'm just assuming thats the way Pop would do it.

It would give a third legit scorer starting, while keeping Manu's minutes down and resting him on the bench.

Also helps out when Ginobili or Parker are having an off night.

Thats another thing, AI can play ALOT of minutes, but you cut down his minutes, and I bet you see a really really really good AI.

Manufan909
10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Just imagine Manu, Tony, and AI on the floor at the same time, with, say Ian and Watkins as the bigs. That's a dangerous lineup right there(no Tim so he wouldn't get in the way of 3 slashers). I wonder how long AI can keep his game up though, I'd rather get JR.

Dex
10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

Nailed it on the head.

When you're already trying to divvy up shots between Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili, there is just not enough to go around to add one of the biggest chuckers in the league. Iverson is a great player, but he requires a lot of shots and a lot of time with the ball to be as effective as he is. Turn him into a deferring role-player, and you take away that which makes him great.

Besides, we gotta make sure we save a good five or ten bricks for Finley. :downspin:

T Park
10-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Nailed it on the head.

When you're already trying to divvy up shots between Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili, there is just not enough to go around to add one of the biggest chuckers in the league. Iverson is a great player, but he requires a lot of shots and a lot of time with the ball to be as effective as he is. Turn him into a deferring role-player, and you take away that which makes him great.

Besides, we gotta make sure we save a good five or ten bricks for Finley. :downspin:

Boy you Finley haters are gonna be pissed if he has a good year.

jack sommerset
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
He needs to go back to Philly.

exstatic
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah and hes grown up.

That wouldn't be the reason I don't want him. He's always been a chucker, he's still a chucker, and he will always BE a chucker. He may have cleaned up his act off the floor, but he is the exact same player he was the day he came into the league. He's a volume shooter that would choke off the offense of at least one of our All Stars, and replace it with his 40% FG shooting inefficiency.

I no longer dislike AI, but I will never be a fan of his game.

SpurSupremacist
10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
This is crazy talk. I wouldn't want Iverson for the minimum. No D, terrible basketball IQ, turnover waiting to happen, worst shot selection in the league.

baseline bum
10-13-2008, 08:02 PM
AI to SA would never happen even if the Spurs had a chance to put together a worthwhile package, as the team is on a '2010 or Bust' course.

byrdman31
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
NO
x2

i like the guy but hes not on the spurs style of play

MrChug
10-13-2008, 08:40 PM
the Spews.

That's not even clever! What a moronic Canadian...wait-redundancy.

AC#21_TD ERA
10-13-2008, 08:43 PM
A.I. nickmame is the answer but it's more like THE CANCER. But in saying that im a risk taker and he could help us alot on offensive end, he just needs to stop being selfish and play the team game.

Allanon
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Say what you will about AI but when the next Spurs offensive dry-spell comes around in the 3rd/4th quarters, AI in silver and black would look pretty damn good.

Quit it, you know you like me :D :lol

We get along a little bit better now but I wouldn't go THAT far :lol

SenorSpur
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
A.I. nickmame is the answer but it's more like THE CANCER. But in saying that im a risk taker and he could help us alot on offensive end, he just needs to stop being selfish and play the team game.

He can't help it. That's the only way he knows how to play.

Personally, I love watching the guy play. But for him to play here, he's have to adjust his game to complement the team - and he's not going to that. He doesn't know how. He's a bad fit for the Spurs and I trust Pop, who is smarter than all of us, already knows this.

tlongII
10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
AI would have to come off the bench with the Spurs. They would be way too undersized with him in the starting unit. The Spurs might not have much to offer for him, but I doubt he'll command a high price in a trade. I know the Blazers won't trade for him.

Dex
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Boy you Finley haters are gonna be pissed if he has a good year.

I've tried to defend Finley over the past few years. If Finley proves me wrong this season, it wouldn't be the first time.

At this point, though, he really needs to show us that he was worth re-signing, especially over Brent Barry.

diego
10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
he is a chucker, but he's still good as a volume scorer and most of you are discounting how much of a competitor he is- there's not many guys like that in the L. very durable too in case of injuries.

unfortunately, he and tony would make a tiny back court and and the only way it could work is if he played the role manu has now with manu starting and finley being the odd man out. it still takes away shots from the big 3, and he'd want to play in crunch time- i'd rather have tony manu and bruce out there in the clutch. very unlikely that he would accept taking such a small role.

but if they could do it like that i'd take him!

Spuradicator
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, I'd love Iverson in a Spurs uniform, but it wont happen

1Parker1
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I'd laugh if he ends up back in Philly....:lol

my2sons
10-13-2008, 09:30 PM
tweak...fine...but that article could be written by any yahoo...hell there are better trade scenarious in this forum, at least they say what the spurs would give up...bonner scola and a number 1 something... this article keeps the entire core together and add AI...huh..has this guy heard of the cap...i like the speed of ai and tony together at times, but gees what do you give up???????

Allanon
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/1qaupkoyph5scm0sz97m.jpg

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 09:46 PM
tweak...fine...but that article could be written by any yahoo...hell there are better trade scenarious in this forum, at least they say what the spurs would give up...bonner scola and a number 1 something... this article keeps the entire core together and add AI...huh..has this guy heard of the cap...i like the speed of ai and tony together at times, but gees what do you give up???????

I think he was implying more that AI could come as a free agent next season.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

That would be awesome! You gave him Hill's # though..

Allanon
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
That would be awesome! You gave him Hill's # though..

AI might be mature enough to take less PT but no way would he give up his #3 to a rook :D

benefactor
10-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Anybody else seen something like this in a nightmare besides me?

Kori Ellis
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
For years I have been saying that I hope/think AI will end up with the Spurs in his final years in the league. I still think that. I'm not sure how or when, but I hope so.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Some of you are crazy. If the Spurs had AI, you could almost lock us for at least the WCF. Also, it would cause a ton of excitement for the fans.

byrdman31
10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I think he was implying more that AI could come as a free agent next season.

off topic. where did you get your new kicks?

Steve-O-Matic
10-13-2008, 10:20 PM
In the new ESPN The Magazine they point out the bad combination that is perimeter players in their 30s who shoot a low % from the outside, and the exponential decline that typically goes hand-in-hand with those types. Iverson's age (33) has now surpassed his career 3-pt % (31%). I don't want anything to do with that. Ever.

DPG21920
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
off topic. where did you get your new kicks?

I ordered them from Dick's Sporting goods. I am not sure they have them still.

jayc23
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Hill would fight somebody to the death over #3

m33p0
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
PG-Parker
SG-Iverson
SF-Ginobili/Bowen
PF-Duncan
C-Oberto

hmmmm.....
nahh... that would make the Spurs way too exciting. Still, Allen "The Option" Iverson does have a nice ring to it.

lefty
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM

+1

jmard5
10-13-2008, 11:43 PM
He can't help it. That's the only way he knows how to play.

Much like Sylar unable to contain his hunger from dissecting another one's brains.

Nah. Geek talk. Don't mind me. Let's go back to basketball. :wakeup

m33p0
10-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Anybody else seen something like this in a nightmare besides me?
its not a nightmare. it actually happened.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/06/08/2003740845.jpg

50 cent
10-13-2008, 11:56 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/Chad072/Smilies/bugty6.gif

ss1986v2
10-14-2008, 12:52 AM
are we not supposed to mention the fact that iverson has been making shots at 45%+ since going to denver? he shot 45.4% two years ago (50 games played in denver) and 45.8% last season (thats only 0.1% difference from what kobe shot last season). or that hes hitting the 3 at 34%+ over that time (34.7% and 34.5% vs 31.4% career avg). or that hes seen near career lows in attempts while in denver (18.9 and 19.0 vs 22.6 career avg, 27.8 peak), but is still getting his 25 points a night. or the fact that hes a much more willing passer these days, and actually half decent at distributing to his teammates (averaging 7+ assist over the last 5 years). cause if we arent, you can disregard what i just said...

as for iverson on this team, i do have a lot of questions. can his style be molded to fit our offense? would he even be willing to sign with us in the first place? if he would, would we pony up the necessary dollars or would he take the substantial paycut? while he is a warrior, how much tread can possibly be left on those tires (10 straight 40 mpg season, damn near 12 if not for that 39.7 his sophomore year)?

i love AI (has been one of my favorite players for years, is still probably my favorite non-spur), but some of those things would have to be worked out (shelf life being the most pressing issue in my mind).

ShoogarBear
10-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I just can't see how you would run an offense with TP and AI on the floor at the same time.

xellos88330
10-14-2008, 01:18 AM
I honestly think that AI would fit. Granted his FG% is low, but you also have to think about the teams that he has been on. I wouldn't really trust his former teammates in philly to make the shot. It is better in Denver, but their coach doesn't really believe in the half court offense. AI would get better quality shots because of the cast the Spurs boast.

I do not think the Spurs would even think about acquiring him mid-season because they don't have anyone to offer that the staff I believe would be comfortable with letting go.

Signing him as free agent might be possible next year, but it hugely depends on the maturity level of AI. Besides, who knows how he might act when he comes to a team that has consistently been deep in the playoffs and have had 4 championships under their belts.

Tully365
10-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Iverson is a terrible & completely disinterested defender. That's one of the reasons that the Nuggets, with a defensive-player-of the-year at center, were still one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. He floats in the defensive scheme looking for steals, never sticks to his guy, and is usually the first guy moving downcourt when a shot goes up, again leaving opposing players unguarded... plus he shoots a terrible percentage. George Hill will probably be a better defender than Iverson by March '09. I pray the Spurs never even consider him. Fun to watch. Not a winner.

pad300
10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I just can't see how you would run an offense with TP and AI on the floor at the same time.

Offensively that wouldn't be too bad - dribble drive... No team in the association can put 2 defenders on the floor with a hope of staying in front of either Parker or AI; one of them perhaps, but the other is going to have a mismatch - switch the ball between them and the one with the mismatch drives...If your bigs are doing their job of setting screens in the paint, you should get decent shots going to the rim or dishing off the short pass for the big to score.
I'd worry more about Defense...we'd have the same problem in reverse - One of either AI or TP can cover the opposition PG, but the other one has to cover a wing (SG/SF), and will be very undersized doing so...

spurs1990
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Jeez, has San Antonio become the graveyard of over the hill stars and scrubs alike?

polandprzem
10-14-2008, 02:56 PM

You can't And AI is a ballhogger and needs to have ball in his hands to feel the rythym and be effective. If you can call it effective what he is doing on offense.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Another preseason, another article of how Iverson might go to the Spurs......

SuperManu!!!
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Worst experiment ever if it's done!!!! He will take like 30 shots per game to score at least 10 points.....

Tully365
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
The FO of the Spurs has a great plan in place: lots of available cap space in 2010, the opportunity to get one or two very good players to complement a still-young Tony Parker, the chance to win more championships in the last playing years of Tim & Manu while building a team that will be very good even after they retire, etc., etc... why jeopodize that plan by going after an aging undersized guy with a questionable attitude?

Besides, they've got George Hill...

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I think Iverson's ego might be too big to ever be a role player on this team....or accept what the Spurs would likely offer in compensation. I could be wrong.

baseline bum
10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
The FO of the Spurs has a great plan in place: lots of available cap space in 2010, the opportunity to get one or two very good players to complement a still-young Tony Parker, the chance to win more championships in the last playing years of Tim & Manu while building a team that will be very good even after they retire, etc., etc... why jeopodize that plan by going after an aging undersized guy with a questionable attitude?

Besides, they've got George Hill...

Not that I support getting Iverson at all, but the reason is because the Spurs will likely end up with another Rasho Nesterovic signing with all that cap space in 2010.

DPG21920
10-15-2008, 03:21 PM
The cap space all depends on if/what the Spurs re-sign Manu with.

The Franchise
10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I think Iverson's ego might be too big to ever be a role player on this team....or accept what the Spurs would likely offer in compensation. I could be wrong.

I don't know man. I think losing his entire career can help him to look past the money. Were I in his position (set for life) winning would mean more than anything else right now.

xtremesteven33
10-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Amare in 2010 or bust!!

Tully365
10-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know man. I think losing his entire career can help him to look past the money. Were I in his position (set for life) winning would mean more than anything else right now.

That's what everybody was saying about Corey Maggette this summer too. I wouldn't want Iverson even if he was willing to cut his salary in half.

temujin
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Can't win.
No D.

No thanks.

Stay with loosers.

MrChug
10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Amare in 2010 or bust!!

We should all fuckin kill you for that thought...

bdictjames
10-17-2008, 09:33 PM
We'd have the smallest frontcourt in the league.

No thanks. For the veteran minimum yes, Vaughn role.

DROB4EVER
10-18-2008, 10:04 AM
He will likely end up back in Philly or resign with nuggs for a couple years.