PDA

View Full Version : Quick Note on Tony

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Loving The Road: In the six games so far on this rodeo road trip, point guard Tony Parker is averaging 21.7 points on 52.6% from the field and 57.1% from downtown. Parker has also dished 6.7 assists per contest. The Spurs finish up the seven-game trek on Wednesday night in New Orleans.

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8A195526-0980-4B55-91FC-1191F0FA639A

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Tony's play since about the second week of January has been pretty much stellar, no matter where the Spurs have played. He had a bad game in Phoenix, to be sure, but 14 of the last 19 games with 20 or more points and 6+ assists in 18 of his last 22.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-14-2005, 12:15 PM
TP is All-Star material, I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

picnroll
02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
After his bad start, from Dec 1 on Parker has shot .527 which would put him ninth in the league in shooting percentage and the highest percentage of any guard, point or shooting. Everyone else ahead of him is a C or PF except Patterson. As it is now, adding in his bad start, he's 26th in the league at .494 behind TD on the Spurs who's 24th at .496.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-14-2005, 01:03 PM

ducks
02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
yes but he is not as good as 15 other point guards spurs could have including beno
just ask spur fans

usckk
02-14-2005, 06:10 PM
You kidding me? Parker is at least a top 10 PPG and maybe even top 5.

boutons
02-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Wonderful stats improvement aside, Tony's turning into the team leader, something the Spurs need badly.

Somebody's gotta toughen the Spurs into confident, intense, focused cold-blooded killers. Play to win every game, or goddam know why they didn't.

This "nice guy" shtick is OK personally for the Spurs, but it's pussy soft professionally.

Again before the Heat game, they showed the Spurs in pre-game smiling, joking around, very relaxed. Not a sign of intensity, focussing, seriousness. I have to wonder if they give a shit whether they beat the Heat or not. Imagine the intensity of Bill Russell, throwing up before every game, and then look at our tourists on a Sunday day trip to Miami.

Come on, Tony, you've grown much in stature this season. Take the reins of the team, don't permit any slackers or back talk, and kick their butts into gear. No fear, no regrets.

BigVee
02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I think come playoff time, he will do that. I noticed on Fri against NJ when he was leading a charge back Pop pulled him for a short rest and Tony initially resisted. Maybe talked about here already, but that showed me something. I can'twait until Pop lets the big three go full minutes.

exstatic
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Again before the Heat game, they showed the Spurs in pre-game smiling, joking around, very relaxed. Not a sign of intensity, focussing, seriousness.
Some would see this as team cohesion, something that Pop wants to happen on the RRT. Truth to be told, I've seen this on MANY occasions from SA, and interpret it as a positive. If you want dour faces, just look at Minny. Garnett, looking around his locker room, probably throws up, or at least wants to, before every game.

boutons
02-14-2005, 07:41 PM
you know what I'm talking about, and it's not Garnett's grimaces and face making and theatrics.

It just looks these guys are on a Sunday outing, and oh, hey, there's game, too. Serious doesn't have to mean fucked up or dour, it means serious, some intensity in attitude giving rise to some intensity, energy, aggressiveness in the game.

Screw it, playing like shit, no problem, we're 40 - 12.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Post 2000, the Spurs have rarely had that kind of visible intensity, and Tim almost never does (and never has) in warm-ups. I recall them joking around during warm-ups before many playoff games (including Finals games) in 2003. It didn't seem to have an adverse effect then.

Plenty of other things to concern yourself with. After all, Pop applauded the Spurs effort yesterday; what the hell does he know?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Yo, maybe we should have something like the All-Blacks do in Rugby. A chant and a dance and shit. HAHAHAHA except maybe it wouldn't work as much seeing as though those rugby players are HUGE!

1Parker1
02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
You kidding me? Parker is at least a top 10 PPG and maybe even top 5.

I'd say top 5.

1) Nash
2) Iverson
3) Marbury
4) Kidd (or maybe Arenas)
5) Parker

Wade is not really a PG in my opinion and Baron Davis hasn't played enough games this season to even be considered for this role. I guess some could argue that Kidd shouldn't be on the list either, but I don't think you can ever discount JKidd.

Also consider from my list, he's only the second PG from the WC, the other three are EC.

1Parker1
02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
BTW Kori, I think your prediction at the begining of the season may be right on target. You predicted (I think*) that Tony would average 17 and 7, which is possible since he is at 16.3 and 6.3 as of this point.

What are you, a fortune teller or something? :) Let's see you predict the finals matchup.

exstatic
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Screw it, playing like shit, no problem, we're 40 - 12.
Obviously, any team that's 40-12 cannot, by definition, be playing like shit. People are different, boutons. Not everyone gets up the same way. You want serious? Go to practice. That's where the work is put in.

1Parker1
02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I can't imagine having to play 4 games in 5/6 games some weeks, like basketball players have to do. Even though that is what they get paid (A LOT!) to do, some nights its hard to muster energy, especially on the road.

T Park
02-14-2005, 08:51 PM
After all, Pop applauded the Spurs effort yesterday; what the hell does he know?

Now now FWD, that will get you labled as a pop sucking homer.

milkyway21
02-15-2005, 02:25 AM
I was disappointed TP was not invited in the All-Star. But, now that Duncan seems to be still recuperating w/ his ankle problem it seems like a blessing to me. Sure, he runs the Spurs plays but we know that can rely on his shooting capability as well when needed to.

Hey, we had an NBA jam show here a local TV every Sunday and it seems they got my e-mail asking them feature the Spurs on one of their NBA Jam sessions. Last Sunday due to a lot of request from Spurs fans they just featured Tony Parker and I was really glad. It was titled as "2 of the most successful international players to play in the NBA" the other one was (no NOT Yao Ming), Pau Gasol. :lol

Just don't know how many times Tony said"you know" :lol in the interview but it was cool.

indianspur
02-15-2005, 03:42 AM
I'd say top 5.

1) Nash
2) Iverson
3) Marbury
4) Kidd (or maybe Arenas)
5) Parker

Bibby>Marbury

Anyday!!