PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt Barry get more PT?

DuncanMVP
02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I always think that the teamis better with him playing especially on the offensive end

is he in pop's dog house?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't think so. I agree with you, Barry should most definately get more minutes. Even though he hasn't been performing up to par these last few games (let's face it, WHO HAS?) I think Brent really brings his "A" game when we need him to (people's exhibit A: Spurs vs. Suns) lol.

DuncanMVP
02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
but spurs really needed him yesterday but wasnt even in the game

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Barry averages 20 mpg. I wouldn't expect him to average more than that with the kind of depth this Spurs team has at the swing spots.

BigVee
02-14-2005, 12:55 PM
You are exactly right he averages 20, but the last four games have been 25, 11, 29, 14...certainly an average of 19.8 but it seems like when he plays the 11 and 14 he often does have enough time to make a contribution.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 12:57 PM
He's going to get inconsistent minutes. And it's on him to find a way to contribute no matter how much playing time he gets. That's how it is for all bench players on deep teams -- whether they play five minutes or twenty-five. That's been a struggle for Barry (as it is for a lot of players). But there's no guarantee for consistent minutes on this team.

BigVee
02-14-2005, 01:20 PM
True. But maybe that is why they all play inconsistently?

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
He's going to get inconsistent minutes. And it's on him to find a way to contribute no matter how much playing time he gets. That's how it is for all bench players on deep teams -- whether they play five minutes or twenty-five. That's been a struggle for Barry (as it is for a lot of players). But there's no guarantee for consistent minutes on this team.

Kori, look at his average minutes in losses. That is the most telling stat. They are a much better team with him on the floor. You are again, a person who judges everything by points and 3pt %....They work the ball and run the break for better with him on the floor. Thats why in 9 out of 12 of there losses he's only averaged around 12 minutes a game.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
You are again, a person who judges everything by points and 3pt %

I don't judge anything. I think they are a great team with Barry running the break. I'm just saying that he's never going to get a set amount of minutes on the this team. With the depth, playing time is determined by matchups, etc.

And another factor for him getting more minutes in wins is because when the Spurs are up big, the bench players get more time on the floor.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
And another factor for him getting more minutes in wins is because when the Spurs are up big, the bench players get more time on the floor.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about when they win...I'm talking about when they lose. Apples and oranges.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Aren't you saying that he gets less minutes when they lose??

If so, that means he gets more minutes when they win. And I'm saying ANOTHER factor to that is because the Spurs have a high point differential, so the bench players play more minutes in those type of wins.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
He has consistently been coming into games around the 6 minute point in the first quarter for most of the year...But I would say in those losses, thats it...he never comes back in. So whatever he does for those 5 or 6 minutes in the first quarter seem to dictate the rest of his playing time for the rest of the game, which to me is ridiculous. I don't think Pop has figured out how to play a guy who has been playing point for the last few years and is used to playing 30 minutes a game, and is a player of the "game." If they wanted someone who is going to come off the bench and pump in 15 to 18 pts off the bench, they should have gone and got a Jim Jackson or something. Barry needs to be in the game, because he actually affects the "flow" of the game for the Spurs. Hitting the right people, in the right spot at the right time...Nobody on that time does it better. I love hearing Sean Elliott in televised games, because he seems to be the only one that realizes this, and that includes Pop.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Barry averages 20 mpg. I wouldn't expect him to average more than that with the kind of depth this Spurs team has at the swing spots.

My point about the minutes is, if you are saying he is averaging 20mpg, thats one thing, but what if he averaged 20mpg in the losses? Could he have affected them? He was an integral part of the come back against New Jersey and on the floor in crunch time...Why couldn't he have been an integral part of the game yesterday in crunch time?

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Well he basically did nothing in his 14 minutes yesterday, but who knows if giving him more minutes would have helped.

Generally he has to get it going early in order to get more playing time. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that. I'm just saying that's how it is because of the depth on the team.

BigVee
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Kori,

You are right and it is unfair to Barry, Devin, Malik, etc. I think Pop needs to decide quickly, and maybe he will, who he wants to go with and give them the consistent minutes the last 30 games. Otherwise I don't think we will get the best out of any of the role players.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
You are right and it is unfair to Barry, Devin, Malik, etc. I think Pop needs to decide quickly, and maybe he will, who he wants to go with and give them the consistent minutes the last 30 games. Otherwise I don't think we will get the best out of any of the role players.

Well, the rotation usually gets shortened soon after the All-Star break, so we'll see what happens.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 02:36 PM
He really needs to be playing more with TD. Most of his minutes are with the second team, running and playing in an offense with Malik Rose or Rasho as your post presence, don't equat to very good looks. I think thats why when he starts and plays a lot of minutes, the important ones, when he is on the floor in crunch time, he is effective.

exstatic
02-14-2005, 03:26 PM
And another factor for him getting more minutes in wins is because when the Spurs are up big, the bench players get more time on the floor.

Bing, bing, bing. We have a winner.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Bing, bing, bing. We have a winner.

How do you figure that? Look at his minutes in wins to. Especially in the month of December...he barely played at all.

Look at the thread I posted that says....

Here are the numbers....

Numbers don't lie, and those stats prove it....Do research instead of popping off about stuff you don't know about.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Take the months of December and through February 13th... when he's averaged 16 minutes a game...

FG%= 35%
3-pt%= 27%

Take the months of November and January, when he's averaged 23 minutes a game...

FG%= 46%
3-pt%= 42%

His FG% is 2 percentage points below his career average, but his 3pt percentage is actually HIGHER than his career numbers.

DuncanMVP
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Barry needs to be our 6th man and get major PT

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Barry needs to be our 6th man and get major PT

Hallalujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whottt
02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Minutes per game average:
In wins:
Brent Barry 20.8
Devin Brown 16.4

In losses:
Brent Barry 16.3
Devin Brown 17.8

Barry plays fewer minutes that average in losses...he also plays fewer minutes than Devin Brown in losses.

Devin plays more minutes than average in losses.

If it's just a matter of bench players not getting PT in a close games...then how come Devin gets more minutes than normal in those games?

And as a side note...Barry's 3pt PCT is nearly indentical in wins and losses...

I'll tell you why this happens...because Barry helps our offense even when his shot is not falling...If Devin's not scoring he hurts the team on offense, badly.

That's my .02. I'll step back and let the debate continue now because frankly I am tired of beating my head against the wall over this issue. And it doesn't matter what anyone on the board thinks anyway.

I guess we'll just continue to have games with mysterious substitution patterns...and equally mystifying losses because of them.

And then every once in a while we'll actually win an intensely fought close game when Pop does elect to trust Barry(see the Phoenix and New Jersey games).

FWIW though...I don't think it would have mattered if Barry had played more yesterday. But it's not like Devin did shit either. And Devin was just as bad as Barry in the Washington loss too...The difference is that Devin was blowing layups while Barry was missing threes.

Que Gee
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
As far as 3pt % in wins and losses, I wasn't addressing that...I was just addressing that I don't think its a coincidence that its better when he plays more minutes. And that probably has more to do with more chances of playing when TD is down in the post.

I can't agree with you more on these ridiculous substitution patterns though WHOTTT. I think Pops rotation this year, since the beginning has been extremely questionable. Which is disturbing because we are now half way through the year.