PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Added Playing Time Awaits Spurs' Oberto

duncan228
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Added playing time awaits Spurs' Oberto (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Added_playing_time_awaits_Spurs_Oberto.html)
By Mike Monroe

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — At age 33, and after a busy summer playing for Argentina's national team, Spurs starting center Fabricio Oberto understands he may play a slightly greater role at the start of the regular season if the team is a little short-handed on the front line.

The Spurs did get some good news Monday on the injury front — it appears veteran big man Kurt Thomas will suit up for at least one of the two games on the preseason road trip that begins here tonight against the Detroit Pistons. But second-year big man Ian Mahinmi is still expected to miss all of the preseason.

“That's why we've got a team,” said Oberto, who helped Argentina to the bronze medal in the Bejing Olympics. “Sometimes you have to take more responsibility. Different guys may be out, when you're talking about the big guys, but also Manu (Ginobili), and then the other guys on the team have to take that responsibility.”

Oberto was a 30-year-old rookie with the Spurs in 2005-06, playing limited minutes in only 59 games. But the past two seasons he has become one of the most reliable of the Spurs. He and swingman Michael Finley last season were the only Spurs to play in all 82 regular-season games. He logged a career-high 20.1 minutes a game, and had career highs in rebounds (5.2) and points (4.8).

Oberto returned to Argentina from Beijing after the Olympics and took nearly a month away from basketball. But he kept himself in condition, and said he feels better at the start of camp than in his previous three seasons with the Spurs.

“I feel great,” he said after the team's Monday morning practice. “I try to keep improving my game and give a little more help for Tim (Duncan) than the last couple of years.”

Oberto wryly observed the tug-of-war between the Spurs and the Argentine national team about Ginobili's availability for the Olympic tournament. He understood the Spurs' fears, now realized, about the potential for another injury to Ginobili's already-sore ankle. But if he was even moderately concerned that nobody suggested he, too, might benefit from a summer away from international competition, he hid it well.

“Injuries can happen anywhere, even on the national team,” he said. “But each time you play, year by year, I know it's a little more miles on your body. But for me, I feel pretty good. I came back in good shape after about 31/2 weeks off. But you have to keep doing something, even with a little break. Even overseas, you take off four or five days, and start playing again.”

This week, Oberto looks forward to getting more preseason playing time and seeing Thomas' return to the rotation.

“It's always good to have more veteran guys,” he said. “It's such a tough league. Every night you face guys like Yao (Ming), Shaq (O'Neal), (Amare) Stoudemire and, now, (Greg) Oden, up in Portland. So every night is a battle. You've got to play them as a team. Those guys are really tough.”

mystargtr34
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Hes fresh, hopefully that vertical leap can get bumped up to double digits.

lefty
10-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Bad news

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Hes fresh, hopefully that vertical leap can get bumped up to double digits.

I doubt it, but maybe now he'll have enough of a vertical leap needed to clear the local phone book.

DPG21920
10-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Oberto mentions Oden but not Bynum? Uh ohhhhhh

xellos88330
10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Oberto has looked pretty decent so far this preseason.

xellos88330
10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Now if only he could jump higher.

T Park
10-14-2008, 02:35 AM
If only Duncan could jump higher.

Spurs Brazil
10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
But second-year big man Ian Mahinmi is still expected to miss all of the preseason.

That's a very bad news. No preseason games for him means 0 minutes in the rotation.

hater
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Kurt Thomas better get 100% soon. Oberto is an ironman and great 2nd center but not a starter.

Allanon
10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Oberto mentions Oden but not Bynum? Uh ohhhhhh

I can't wait to see the next Bynum/Oberto matchup:
sYICq8q-vIU

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
trade him

Texas_Ranger
10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
trade him

+1

mrspurs
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
This may sound crazy but a couple of years ago my son and I had a debate that was based on Fab. It was the year we last won rings. I had told my son that if Fab played well enough and wouldnt choke as much as he did the season prior we would win it all. Of course I had no clue we woulda swept the Cavs. I mean in all gods truth I said it to all my friends at the AT@T center, we will go as far as Fab takes us. He chokes we lose, he doesnt choke we win. And I was right. With Elson coming in and giving him and Timmy rest for whatever reason Fab was making those easy shots he missed last season and in the PO's. So going into last season I didnt even think of Fab as a player who would make or break us. I figured alright Fab has finally found himself and is comfortable. Boy was I dead wrong. Then Elson left and we brought in Kurt. And the old Fab came back. Choke after choke. And thats exactly what I expect from Fab and Kurt both. Poor Timmy. All Fab had todo was put back simple under the basket shots he had wide open when they doubled Timmy, instead he would get scared and pass the ball out. And then Pop had noone to put in when he yanked him. Now Im not saying Elson was a great player, but at least with his hands raised in the air it made it more difficult for players to shoot over. Thats why I say Kurt and his 6'9 slower then Elson body isnt gonna help Timmy much. And there is none of this, (well Kurt didnt know the system mickey mouse crap). The fact is he is to small for the bigs we play against. And so we are left with Ian. The guy who has been trying to make our squad it seems like forever. Spurs better make some kind of trade because with the bigs we have as of now, life is gonna be very tough. Even if he doesnt make the team Tolliver>Fab.

DPG21920
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I can't wait to see the next Bynum/Oberto matchup:
sYICq8q-vIU

I like Bynum, but why did he get so worked up. Do not tell me that very subtle push in the back warranted that kind of reaction. What a baby. If that is the case then Oberto will mind hump Bynum all day.

Allanon
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I like Bynum, but why did he get so worked up. Do not tell me that very subtle push in the back warranted that kind of reaction. What a baby. If that is the case then Oberto will mind hump Bynum all day.

I don't think it was just that push in the back but probably a building up of stuff. Another poster said Argentinians are sneaky players and I agree. It's not a bad thing, it's kind of like the sneaky John Stockton moves, a small hold here, a little push there.

Bynum's still a big kid, hopefully he'll learn to control his temper.

DPG21920
10-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't think it was just that push in the back but probably a building up of stuff. Another poster said Argentinians are sneaky players and I agree. It's not a bad thing, it's kind of like the sneaky John Stockton moves, a small hold here, a little push there.

Bynum's still a big kid, hopefully he'll learn to control his temper.

I am sure he will. But it is not just Argies. Tons of players in the league grab, push and hold. It is how the game is played.

wildbill2u
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
If Oberto and Duncan had a jumping contest, would anyone win?

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Oberto's summer participation obviously wasn't met with as much concern as Manu's and Parker's.