PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs may have had a good read on Batum after all...

tlongII
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/tuesday_surprise_batum_works_w.html

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/large_batum.jpg

There was a Tuesday surprise at the Trail Blazers' practice in Tualatin: Nicolas Batum, the 19 year-old rookie forward from France, spent the bulk of the workout running with the starting unit.
The unexpected development, which comes after Batum's impressive exhibition performance Sunday against Utah, is the latest experiment by coach Nate McMillan to plug the hole at small forward created by the injury of Martell Webster.

The Blazers will be without Webster, who had surgery last week to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, for roughly two months and McMillan is searching for a new player rotation to get the team through the 25 games Webster is likely to miss. Travis Outlaw, who was competing with Webster for the starting small forward spot, figured to be the likely fill-in, but McMillan also has been toying with the idea of starting rookie Rudy Fernandez at shooting guard and sliding All-Star Brandon Roy to small forward.

Now, at the very least, Batum appears to be in the mix.

"We have a small forward that's down so we have to put somebody there," McMillan said. "And (Batum's) done a good job. I wanted to take a look at him in that position. I think it's really early to (rush) to judgement; he's doing some good things (but) we have three games to go as far as preseason games.

"Who knows who will be there tomorrow?"

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/medium_batum2.jpg

Batum has earned the look with a better-than-expected exhibition season in which he's averaging 8.8 points, 1.8 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.8 rebounds in roughly 20 minutes per game. He's grown more comfortable -- and more impressive -- recently, epitomized by his performance against the Jazz on Sunday, when he scored a team-high 16 points and added three blocked shots, two steals, two assists and three rebounds in a versatile effort that demonstrated his multi-faceted skill set.

Batum made seven of 11 field goals, including both of his three-point attempts, and played sturdy defense against Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko. Batum, a lanky and long 6-foot-8 player, is ahead of the rookie curve on defense and McMillan said prior to Sunday's game that the only thing preventing Batum from being and NBA starter was his shot, which despite his play Sunday, has been erratic.

That Batum is even receiving a look with the starting unit is especially surprising because of his discouraging performance during the Las Vegas Summer League in July, when appeared overwhelmed and unprepared for the NBA. One of three feature players on the team, Batum -- who called his summer league play "bad" -- averaged just 6.8 points and 4.6 rebounds, while committing a team-high 17 turnovers.

So what's changed?

"I think he's playing basketball," McMillan said. "He's making plays; defensively he's been good guarding the ball. His weak side help has been pretty good. He's just anticipating on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively, he's doing a nice job of playing off the ball. We're not calling plays for him, and he's getting to the offensive glass. He's made pretty good decisions passing the ball. When guys are open, he's trying to get the ball to them. So he's just playing basketball right now. And I think that's the thing that makes him look pretty good. He doesn't try to do anything that he can't do. He's just making reads and making the right plays."

In the long run, however, it seems more likely that Batum will find himself competing for a spot in the rotation rather than a spot among the starters. Even he was caught off guard by Tuesday's surprise.

"Coach Nate called my name and ... I was surprised," Batum said after practice." I work every day ... I've just tried to play my game, work hard on my game. That's it. (I've) tried to enjoy it."

exstatic
10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
he's averaging 8.8 points, 1.8 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.8 rebounds in roughly 20 minutes per game.
Not very impressive against NBA pre-season scrubs. That rebounding rate is lower than Bowen's, one of the acknowledged worst rebounding SFs in the league.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Damn! I'm not surprised.

I hate it with a passion that Portland snagged his ass before the Spurs did. He was MY guy.

With all their depth, I actually thought the Blazer would have him spend a year in Europe. Sounds like there's opportunity for him to stick this year.

HarlemHeat37
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I thought he would be good too, and I wanted him at the time..but I honestly have NO problem with picking George Hill right now..the guy is already looking like an above-average NBA defender RIGHT NOW..just imagine when he develops his game and starts gaining experience/maturity..

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Hairston, Hill, Gist and Batum. The Spurs had a rain man year in the draft room.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I still wonder what Pop would've done had Batum been on the board at the Spurs pick #26. How sweet it would've been to have gotten Batum in the 1st round and Hill in the 2nd? We'd be set.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I still wonder what Pop would've done had Batum been on the board at the Spurs pick #26. How sweet it would've been to have gotten Batum in the 1st round and Hill in the 2nd? We'd be set.

Any three of the four they had seem to be good. Hill and Hairston are probably going to make the team this year, and Gist is on when he comes back if he continues to develop his game.

HarlemHeat37
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
there's no way we can get Rudy from Portland..everybody there realizes his potential outlook..Blazer fans already love him from his 1st preseason game..

I heard that the Celtics were looking at Hill, and another team as well(don't remember which team)..so I don't know how likely it would have been for us to get him in the 2nd..I can't wait to have Hill, Gist and Hairston as our role players, hopefully next year..

Allanon
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Batum has indeed looked good, his rebounding certainly could use some help...5 rebound average would be nice.

I'm sure Travis Outlaw won't be too happy about this development. I mean he was fight with Webster for the starting spot, now he gets up-ended by a Rook.

Nate must not think a whole lot of him or something. He's the #1 Blazer to get traded in my opinion.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I'e read that Hill would not have been in the draft pool in the mid second round. Too many early second rounds(31-36) liked him.

I think there were rumors someone had been talking about him in the first round, which is why the Spurs jumped on him. There seems to be little doubt he was worth the reach at this point.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I heard that the Celtics were looking at Hill, and another team as well(don't remember which team)..so I don't know how likely it would have been for us to get him in the 2nd..I can't wait to have Hill, Gist and Hairston as our role players, hopefully next year..

If the Spurs were to hit a home run on all 3 propsects from this most recent draft and they all truly become solid role players next year, that would be sensational. In fact, it's too good to be true.

Now I wondering if we should dare to dream that Splitter will come over in a year or two, or three, or four. :lol.

Though, it still pisses me off that Tau and PHX were able to work a buyout for Dragic, yet the Spurs got screwed.

timvp
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
The Spurs need a backup point more than they need another wing. Batum may be good but if Hill can continue to play like he has in the last couple preseason games, I'd take him over Batum.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I think there were rumors someone had been talking about him in the first round, which is why the Spurs jumped on him. There seems to be little doubt he was worth the reach at this point.

I feel ya. In fact, I remember reading the Spurs brass were damn near soiling their underwear because Hill had a terrific showing at the final Orlando pre-draft camp. This raised the eyes of a lot of GMs and scouts. Which is probably why so many teams were looking at getting him in the early 2nd. Though I hate Batum wasn't available, it looks like the reach for Hill may have been worth it indeed.

mystargtr34
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Batum has indeed looked good, his rebounding certainly could use some help...5 rebound average would be nice.

I'm sure Travis Outlaw won't be too happy about this development. I mean he was fight with Webster for the starting spot, now he gets up-ended by a Rook.

Nate must not think a whole lot of him or something. He's the #1 Blazer to get traded in my opinion.

Travis Outlaw > Batum

Outlaw himself and the Blazers prefer him coming off the bench, i think its more likely you see Roy move to SF and Fernandez at SG.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
The Spurs need a backup point more than they need another wing. Batum may be good but if Hill can continue to play like he has in the last couple preseason games, I'd take him over Batum.

Hell, if he can help us contain CP and Deron, while providing the much-needed offense that JV doesn't provide - I'm on board too. One thing about this kid, he damn sure aint scared of anyone or anything. He appears fearless - like he belongs.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Travis Outlaw > Batum

Outlaw himself and the Blazers prefer him coming off the bench, i think its more likely you see Roy move to SF and Fernandez at SG.

In an article I read earlier this summer, Outlaw indicated that he doesn't plan on being a 6th man forever. He's willing to give it another 1 or 2, but he made it clear that eventually he wants to start.

That said, if Outlaw does eventually want out of Portland, I hope the Spurs will be first in line for his services. Since the Blazers stole Batum from the Spurs grasp, I'd like nothing more than for the Spurs to "turn the tables".

Allanon
10-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Travis Outlaw > Batum

Outlaw said he wasn't happy being a bencher, there was some buzz about that over the summer. That's why it's so odd Nate's messing with Batum in the starting lineup.

Roy moving to SF and Rudy at SG could happen though..although it would be 3 guards in the starting lineup. Sure Rudy and Roy are oversized guards so it might be a good combo.

mystargtr34
10-14-2008, 09:17 PM
If the Spurs were to hit a home run on all 3 propsects from this most recent draft and they all truly become solid role players next year, that would be sensational. In fact, it's too good to be true.

Now I wondering if we should dare to dream that Splitter will come over in a year or two, or three, or four. :lol.

Though, it still pisses me off that Tau and PHX were able to work a buyout for Dragic, yet the Spurs got screwed.

First, Dragic was a back up and a role player where as Splitter was the EuroLeague MVP and is the star of the team.

Second, Dragic is a secound rounder meaning the scale doesnt apply to him.

But this has been beaten over far too maby times.

And yea, it sux.

mystargtr34
10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
In an article I read earlier this summer, Outlaw indicated that he doesn't plan on being a 6th man forever. He's willing to give it another 1 or 2, but he made it clear that eventually he wants to start.

That said, if Outlaw does eventually want out of Portland, I hope the Spurs will be first in line for his services. Since the Blazers stole Batum from the Spurs grasp, I'd like nothing more than for the Spurs to "turn the tables".

Really??

On the last Blazers webcast after Outlaw had the awful game in which he started, i think it was the first pre season game, they were talking about how McMillain was much more comfortable bringing him off the bench, then they said somethin along the lines of Outlaw said he is more comfortable in that role.

My bad.

barbacoataco
10-14-2008, 09:31 PM
With Oden under the basket, the Blazers can get away playing Roy at SF. They are tall at every position and have incredible height across the roster. And since they also are injury prone big time, it helps to have flexibility.

Russ
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Unintended cosequences will always win out.

Batum will be the better pro (and the better pick) but Hill may help the Spurs win this year.