PDA

View Full Version : Forget Tolliver, Sign Farmer instead

Amuseddaysleeper
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Farmer is very aggressive and has no fear whatsoever.

If Tolliver's shot isn't falling (which seems to be the case more often than not so far this preseason) he is pretty much useless.

At least Farmer can penetrate and give us an extra slasher. He's a bit small, but if it comes down to it, I really hope Pop picks him over Tolliver.

timvp
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
If Farmer is to make the team, he'll have to beat out Stoudamire, Hairston and Green. Tolliver isn't really in the same group.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Tolliver isn't making the team. Farmer has too many other guys at his own position to try to beat out. As much as I lke the kid, I don't see it happening.

urunobili
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Farmer>Hairstron>Green

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Farmer>Hairstron>Green

On the offensive end of the floor, maybe.

Manufan909
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Tolliver isn't making the team. Farmer has too many other guys at his own position to try to beat out. As much as I lke the kid, I don't see it happening.

How can you be so sure? Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but I still fear it'll happen.

Darkwaters
10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
If Farmer is to make the team, he'll have to beat out Stoudamire, Hairston and Green. Tolliver isn't really in the same group.

I agree, I think the Spurs will likely keep one player from each of these two groups:

Bigs: Tolliver, Gaines, Watkins

Wings: Stoudemire, Hairston, Green, Farmer

I suppose it's possible that if Stoudemire came in smoking and Hill was rockin' also they'd drop Vaughn and keep the Stoudemire/Hill combo. THat could free them up to sign Stoudemire, Farmer and a big. But I don't think Hill has been quite THAT convincing and obviously Stoudemire has shown nothing having not even hit the court yet.

hater
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't like Tolliver, but I might pick him over Bonner. Shit fuck that, I don't want either.

HarlemHeat37
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
there's no way Stoudamire is making the team..his injury killed his chances..he isn't good enough to make up for the lost time..

tav1
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't think the Spurs will keep any of those bigs, barring something fantastic from here out.

I can see both Stoudamire and Farmer making the team, with Hairston on the Toros. However that changes if Hairston continues to show good D. At that point, it's an even bet between Farmer and him.

benefactor
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree, I think the Spurs will likely keep one player from each of these two groups:

I suppose it's possible that if Stoudemire came in smoking and Hill was rockin' also they'd drop Vaughn and keep the Stoudemire/Hill combo. THat could free them up to sign Stoudemire, Farmer and a big. But I don't think Hill has been quite THAT convincing and obviously Stoudemire has shown nothing having not even hit the court yet.
Really? What else does the kid gotta do? Anyone that does not think he is an upgrade from Vaughn right now has simply not been paying attention.

tav1
10-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Stoudamire's contract had a lot of money upfront. I think he'll have to play himself off the roster.

barbacoataco
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I think Hairston has more potential than Farmer, and the Spurs usually pick defense over offense. But if they can find a way to keep both, why not? If they bought out Vaughn they could have Parker, Hill and Mason also capable of playing point. But I would be surprised if pop doesn't keep Vaughn around.

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't like Tolliver, but I might pick him over Bonner. Shit fuck that, I don't want either.

Pop seems to love big men who can open up the floor with perimeter shooting. I have no doubt, that he'll be looking to replace the good shooting stroke of Horry. He was hoping Bonner would've fit the bill and lord knows he's had his chances, but he's just a dufus.

Personally, I'd prefer Tolliver over Bonner.

DMX7
10-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I was impressed today with his size and quickness. He's a really good athlete.

exstatic
10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I think Pop likes Tolliver. He knows his name, and has gone out of his way to point out that he hasn't stopped shooting. The worst thing you can do on a Pop team is stop shooting if you're in a slump. That cost Jaren his starting job in 99.

Russ
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Farmer is very aggressive and has no fear whatsoever.

A Trojan!

DMX7
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I think Pop likes Tolliver. He knows his name, and has gone out of his way to point out that he hasn't stopped shooting. The worst thing you can do on a Pop team is stop shooting if you're in a slump. That cost Jaren his starting job in 99.

I doubt that's the only criterion.

Manufan909
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
I just saw the highlights, and damn Farmer is small! How tall is he?

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Personally, I'd prefer Tolliver over Bonner.

Unfortunately that's not a choice.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM

I think they're likely to keep two of the wings and none of the bigs. I agree that Hill has been good, but not good enough to risk dropping Vaughn for. Maybe Pop will have a feeling and go with it. Stranger things have happened. I'd certainly feel a little better about it now than I would have yesterday.

Manufan909
10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
If that is the case, I'd go with Hairston and Farmer. But since Pop is the decision maker, I see Tolliver and Hairston/Farmer. Hope I'm wrong.

AC#21_TD ERA
10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
As much I would love to see JV getting brought out, I don't see it happening because Pop loves his veterans. :pctoss

The ideal scenario would be to sign Farmer and Salim and buy out Vaughn. Farmer would be another weapon at the wings, while Hill and Salim would be fighting for that back up PG spot. Also Roger Mason can step in to that position if needed. As a result we’ll be deeper and a deadlier team.

C'mon Pop use your common sesne and please buy out Vaughn.

Flux451
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
why do people keep on saying Farmer is small? He is 6'5" 220. He is one inch shorter then Hairston and weighs the same as James Posey and Finely.

I think for his speed, he has a great size.
Would be nice to have him in the roster.
I would rather have him then Stodemire, unless he shows us the world.
Stod. is small.

Manufan909
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Idk man, he just looks small. Maybe there was a big lieup when he was in the highlights, idk.

holcs50
10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I think it would be a HUGE mistake to leave stoudamire off the roster. Salim provides a specialty (3pt shooting), and that specialty is something the spurs rely on heavily. Salim getting the ball kicked out to him from say TD will be very dangerous. He wasn't able to get a lot of open shots with the hawks because he's a small guard and its hard for him to create his own shot-but with defenses doubling td, parker/ginobili penetrating-there will be tons of open shots for him. Come playoffs if spurs perimeter guys aren't making shots we always lose-salim will make those for sure. So i think salim has gotta make it, even though injury hurts him, and I really like farmer but we just have a ton of guards. I wish they would release jacque and get salim and farmer-but doubt they'll do that.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah, we need to stock up on as many 6'5" shooting guards as possible.

The Truth #6
10-15-2008, 01:19 AM
It could be worse, like 6'1" shooting guards.

timvp
10-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Last year we cut Williams for Darius.Actually the Spurs traded away Beno to make room for Darius Washington.

They played different positions, yet it was just the numbers game. If Farmer fills a need better than Toliver, and we feel that we want to keep Salim or Malik then we will cut Toliver. Toliver isn't that impressive. Not that good of an athlete, not a low post scorer, hangs outside a bit too much to be a rebounder, and is a streeky shooter.Not that I disagree with your assessment, but the Spurs are going to keep six bigs. No way they will keep only five, especially when one is always a half step away from the doghouse (Bonner) and another one is totally unproven (Mahinmi).

Unless something unforeseen happens, the Spurs will most likely keep one of Tolliver or Watkins. Or, if neither performs well enough to make the team, the Spurs will likely be looking for a veteran big who got cut elsewhere.

tp2021
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Between Tolliver and Watkins, I would rather keep Watkins. He brings a different skillset than the team could use. We already have an unreliable bigman shooter in Bonner. Why get another? Variety for when the situation calls for it, IMO. And that is Watkins.

urunobili
10-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Between Tolliver and Watkins, I would rather keep Watkins. He brings a different skillset than the team could use. We already have an unreliable bigman shooter in Bonner. Why get another? Variety for when the situation calls for it, IMO. And that is Watkins.

:tu

having a shot blocking threat is not something we haven't had since Nazr was on the team...

AusSpursFan
10-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Really? What else does the kid gotta do? Anyone that does not think he is an upgrade from Vaughn right now has simply not been paying attention.

from what I have seen I totally agree. If he keeps it up then how could you deny him a contract?

Obstructed_View
10-15-2008, 02:38 AM
from what I have seen I totally agree. If he keeps it up then how could you deny him a contract?

Nobody's denying him a contract; he's already on the team. The question is do you get rid of Vaughn in order to clear a spot for one of the other young guys. That decision becomes easier with Hill and Parker dinged up.

#2!
10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Salim should make the team over the other guards. He has (some)NBA experience and a more consistent shot. In Atlanta he scored a respectable 8ppg with limited and fluctuating minutes. Also he was creating his own shot when he was there, and playing with a few All Stars around him would allow him to be a great catch and shoot guy for us on the perimeter(but could still create for himself when needed). I know he's been injured and many have pretty much forgotten about him, but he is definitely more than training camp fodder.

Also, if Salim does make the team, JV isn't going anywhere right now. Stoudamire is a small 2 not a pg. So unless he can pick up the system well enough by midseason, I doubt Pop will want two undersized 2 guards as his back up options for Tony.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Idk man, he just looks small. Maybe there was a big lieup when he was in the highlights, idk.

I've seen him a few times, and I always thought he was a little guy. I think I posted this elsewhere, but I told my wife during the game that he reminds me of a little version of Stephen Jackson.

Spurs Brazil
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Forget Tolliver, Sign Farmer instead

:tu

One Bonner is enough

tav1
10-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Actually the Spurs traded away Beno to make room for Darius Washington.

Not that I disagree with your assessment, but the Spurs are going to keep six bigs. No way they will keep only five, especially when one is always a half step away from the doghouse (Bonner) and another one is totally unproven (Mahinmi).

Unless something unforeseen happens, the Spurs will most likely keep one of Tolliver or Watkins. Or, if neither performs well enough to make the team, the Spurs will likely be looking for a veteran big who got cut elsewhere.

Would Sam Presti gift wrap Joe Smith for the right number of second round draft picks? :king

In all seriousness, if this is true it stinks. I'd rather they be patient, keep the talent, play Ian when he is healthy, play Udoka out of position at 4, etc...then keep Watkins or Tolliver.

They'd probably have to cut Farmer or Hairston later, but a serviceable 6th big will surface in time. Maybe on final cuts, maybe as trade fodder. But they should wait.

bgoines
10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree totally. He continues to show that he can consistently be a scorer and a fierce competitor. He did a great job definsively chasing rip hamilton through screens and helping others. I think his performance over the last two games along with his experience and proven ability to be put the ball in the basket consistently has to have pop thinking about keeping him!!

tp2021
10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Salim, Watkins, and Hairston should get the longest looks. If I had to cut one of those 3, I would have to cut Watkins.

Ice009
10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I've seen him a few times, and I always thought he was a little guy. I think I posted this elsewhere, but I told my wife during the game that he reminds me of a little version of Stephen Jackson.

Why does everyonekeep saying he is short. I thought he was 6'5" or 6'6"???

We've got Udoka at that same height playing power forward at times in small ball. Wouldn't guys like Stoudamire be the ones who are considered short?

Maybe it's because people compare his game a little bit to S Jax who is 6'8" which then in comparison would make Farmer short.

dbestpro
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
My thoughts are that Stoudamire and Watkins makes the team. With Watkins you can't teach size. With Stoudamire you have a proven NBA shooter.

Gaines, Tolliver, Green, Farmer will not make the team. Hairston could end up in the d-league with a roster spot. Farmer may be asked to sign a contract with the Toros outside of a roster spot.

The odds are more likely a capable player(s) will surface from another team via cut and the Spurs will fill out the back end of the bench with veterans.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Farmer may be asked to sign a contract with the Toros outside of a roster spot.The Vipers would probably take him back first.

Ice009
10-15-2008, 09:02 PM
What do you think of Farmer so far Chump? I guess you've probably seen him play more in the NBDL that anyone else here. Is he doing better than you expected? worse?

lurker23
10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Last year we cut Williams for Darius. They played different positions, yet it was just the numbers game. If Farmer fills a need better than Toliver, and we feel that we want to keep Salim or Malik then we will cut Toliver. Toliver isn't that impressive. Not that good of an athlete, not a low post scorer, hangs outside a bit too much to be a rebounder, and is a streeky shooter.

Lurker23 has seen him play in person with more chances than any of us. He should be good to ask. Although Toliver was reaaly hot in Salt Lake, he seems to have cooled down.

Plus with his poor shooting in pre-season his roster spot should be open anyways whether Farmer out plays him or not.

As far as pure talent and potential goes, I think I would cut Tolliver. However, with the lack of big-man depth, I think Tolliver fills more of a "worst-case scenario" need than Farmer, so I expect Farmer to get the axe.

In summary, I agree with you that if it were based on pure talent, Tolliver would go. However, only having 5 bigs, with one of them banged up, makes keeping Tolliver (or another big man off waivers) a necessity.

Obstructed_View
10-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Wait a sec. Who's banged up? KT?

tav1
10-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Wait a sec. Who's banged up? KT?

Ian, OV. Where's your head? It must be late for you.

Manufan909
10-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Oh shit... Waiting for the OV flaming to begin. I've got marshmallows!!!
:downspin:

tav1
10-24-2008, 10:59 PM

I know he's on top of his stuff...just teasing.

Obstructed_View
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeah, goddamn. I knew you weren't wrong, I just couldln't for the life of me remember who it was. :lol I was impressed that I even remembered KT.

Obstructed_View
10-24-2008, 11:40 PM

I deserve it for asking the question, but I just couldn't make myself remember, and I was too lazy to look it up. :)

Manufan909
10-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Dude, I brought marshmallows... Fuck it, they're almost as good cold.