PDA

View Full Version : ***Sigh***

ShoogarBear
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7U8xO7kAI

(For some reason embedding has been disabled for this one.)

Obstructed_View
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
That's what made the rest of that game so tough. It's like Manu's foul coming right on the heels of Manu's clutch three.

timtonymanu
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Tim Duncan's three > that shot.

it's hard to love that shot since Derek Fisher made a shot after that.

ShoogarBear
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
If 0.4* hadn't happened, that shot >>>>>>>>> anyone's shot, with the exception of the MDM.

tp2021
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
fucking shit i hate the lakers

Allanon
10-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I remember watching that one, I was thinking F****CKKKKKKK. I was at a bar of sorts in the OC and the whole place was crying.

Then .4 happened.

dbreiden83080
10-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I remember watching that one, I was thinking F****CKKKKKKK. I was at a bar of sorts in the OC and the whole place was crying.

Then .4 happened.

As mad as i was about that shot and the game at the time, looking back Spurs did not deserve to win the game or the series. They really played awful from game 3 on.

FromWayDowntown
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
If 0.4* hadn't happened, that shot >>>>>>>>> anyone's shot, with the exception of the MDM.

Given who was playing for the Lakers at that point, all that was at stake in that game, and given the LA/SA rivalry that was in full blossom at that juncture, I think Duncan's runner (which will be lost to the ages because of 0.4*) would be among the 5 or so greatest shots in NBA history. Obviously, we don't know what would have happened had that been the game winner, but if it propelled the Spurs back to the Finals, I think you could argue that it would have been bigger than the MDM.

tp2021
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
GODDAMN FUCKING LAKERS! :madrun:madrun:madrun

SenorSpur
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM

On the contrary, it's not hard to love it at all - at least for me.

It's just that very few NBA fans, outside of Spurs and Fakers fans, seem to remember it because of the Derek Fisher shot.

duncan228
10-14-2008, 10:23 PM
On the contrary, it's not hard to love it at all - at least for me.

It's just that very few NBA fans, outside of Spurs and Fakers fans, seem to remember it because of the Derek Fisher shot.

I love it too. It's one of my favorite clutch shots of his, regardless of Fisher's shot.

exstatic
10-14-2008, 10:24 PM
That shot was a Michelangelo. Anytime Shaq gets a mouthful of anything other than fast food, it's all good.

Allanon
10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Talk about an emotional roller coaster. After Duncan's shot, it was stunning at the bar I was at. It went from cheering and laughter to WTF in a couple of seconds.

Watching TV, the Spur fans were going crazy and you could barely hear the announcers, then all of a sudden it got quiet as hell.

That sequence between both Duncan and Fisher was one of the greatest I've ever watched.

FromWayDowntown
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
That sequence between both Duncan and Fisher was one of the greatest I've ever watched.

The series of timeouts between those shots was absolutely excruciating for those in the building -- particularly those who understood the timing rules and knew the substantial difference between .4 and .3.

tlongII
10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8

May as well show the whole thing... :toast

BlackSwordsMan
10-14-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8

May as well show the whole thing... :toast

nah that's fine

IronMexican
10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
I remember thinking to myself after the Duncan shot "well 3-2 isn't bad. We can ein game 6 at home and game 7" then Fisher's shot hot followed by "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!'

IronMexican
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I like this one more.:toast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY06eaFaplw&feature=related

Trainwreck2100
10-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I remember my stomach felt like it was dropped 20 feet, i didn't feel that again until 06 and the dirk foul.

IronMexican
10-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Poor tlong...:lol

Do king fans feel left out? give me a minute:lol

IronMexican
10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp19op8uK1E&feature=related

:toast

timvp
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I hate you, Shoog.

IronMexican
10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I still have mad love for Shaq. The hapiness he brought this city was unbelievable in the early 00's.

HORNSWOGGLE
10-15-2008, 12:02 AM
i didnt get to see that as it happened, i was in another country. Even though many spur fans tell me im lucky for missing it I still wish i would of seen it live

Cant_Be_Faded
10-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt, the most clutch and difficult shot in NBA history. There is no player on the face of this planet that could have swished a half-look, fadeaway, running 20 footer with Shaq's big fat hand holding your shooting wrist the entire motion.
The 0.4* and outcome of the series render it useless to call it 'great' but I feel it still qualifies for unheard of clutch and difficulty status.

I'll never forget that shot. Let us never forget: It is a pleasure and a privilege to watch Tim Duncan play basketball.

m33p0
10-15-2008, 12:47 AM
that was an awesome shot regardless of what happened afterward.

duncan228
10-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Let us never forget: It is a pleasure and a privilege to watch Tim Duncan play basketball.

:) :toast

dirk4mvp
10-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I like this one more.:toast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY06eaFaplw&feature=related

fuck, while we're on the subject of the Blazers

lSatHkX63Fg

Amuseddaysleeper
10-15-2008, 01:25 AM

I can't see how the MDM shot ranks higher than Horry's 3 ball against the Pistons.

Had Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ not hit the MDM shot, the series would've been tied 1-1 at that point. The Spurs went on to sweep the Blazers, so I think even if they dropped game 2 that year, they woulda won in 6 or so.

Had Horry missed his 3 ball against the Pistons in game, the Spurs would have one ring less than they do today. No question about it.

benefactor
10-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Glad I read through this thread little bit before I clicked on any links. I know the Duncan shot was on of the greatest ever, but 0.4 and its surrounding events is something I don't care to voluntarily re-live.

Lakers_55
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
I remember game 5 vividly. LA had control most of the way and let SA back in. I couldn't believe it when Duncan made his shot, but when Fisher shot his, I knew it was going in when it left his hands. You watch enough basketball shots, you can tell.

A couple of notes....A non-call on Ginobili for yanking down either Fisher or Payton when Duncan's shot went in. Also, clock should have read 0.6, not 0.4. Fisher made it legally in 0.4 but doubt and denial still persist. 0.6 would have settled that.

Eventually, we will see something that will equal or top this. Hopefully, the team we root for is the one that benefits!

HarlemHeat37
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I actually didn't see 0.4 when it happened..Duncan made the shot, I flipped out, and I had to go upstairs to check on something, thinking the game would be over..I came back and I see replays of Fisher's shot, thinking "WTF?!"..

I hate the Lakers as much as any pro sports team, but I have a lot of respect for them..they've given us good battles..we got them in '99 and '03, and they got us in the other years..I always enjoy playing them, since it's the best test..unlike the Suns, who are just an embarrassment of a franchise..

jman3000
10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
wtf? did you really have to post that?

:pctoss

jman3000
10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
after that shot i had a moment where i hugged everyone around me a screamed like a girl... one of those times where it's allowable.

about 15 minutes later i was strewing together run on sentences consisting of nothing but profanity.

jman3000
10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I can't see how the MDM shot ranks higher than Horry's 3 ball against the Pistons.

Had Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ not hit the MDM shot, the series would've been tied 1-1 at that point. The Spurs went on to sweep the Blazers, so I think even if they dropped game 2 that year, they woulda won in 6 or so.

Had Horry missed his 3 ball against the Pistons in game, the Spurs would have one ring less than they do today. No question about it.

the blazers were crazy as all shit. with the amount of emotional players they had on that team, that shot was a bitch slap they never recovered from. if we had won that game in another fashion, they might have gone back to portland energized and not in state of depression.

T Park
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
looks like amused doesn't know how to spell Elliott's name right :)

diego
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
As mad as i was about that shot and the game at the time, looking back Spurs did not deserve to win the game or the series. They really played awful from game 3 on.

true. i went from giddy to furious in that game (esp. since fish and co. just left like nothing happened), and i still think that shaq and malone got away with murder for the series... but despite all that, the spurs played horrible, they got forced out of the paint and could only shoot 3s, they just didnt compete hard enough.

thats why it was karmic beauty when malone got hurt for the finals and detroit wiped the floor with them. many forget the pistons were very close to a sweep. the 4 hofers has to be one of the biggest failed experiments ever considering how the team exploded immediately.

ShoogarBear
10-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Portland was the vastly superior team in talent to the Spurs that year, and they probably should have won game 1. Had they gone back to Portland with a 1-1 tie, heavy odds were they would have taken the series. Instead, the MDM completely obliterated them emotionally, and they went through the motions the rest of the way.

You'll never convince me, or a lot of other people, that Horry's shot was bigger than Sean's. The MDM is the shot that won four titles for the Spurs, each of those years going through at least one team that had better talent. If the Spurs hadn't won that game, they are probably still looking for their first ring.

tlongII
10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
My favorite game 5. I was 19 at the time. Oh to be young again...

v5JwZstZVsQ

IronMexican
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
true. i went from giddy to furious in that game (esp. since fish and co. just left like nothing happened), and i still think that shaq and malone got away with murder for the series... but despite all that, the spurs played horrible, they got forced out of the paint and could only shoot 3s, they just didnt compete hard enough.

thats why it was karmic beauty when malone got hurt for the finals and detroit wiped the floor with them. many forget the pistons were very close to a sweep. the 4 hofers has to be one of the biggest failed experiments ever considering how the team exploded immediately.

They got to the finals and possibly stopped a Spurs 3 peat.

spursfan09
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
my night would have been better had I never discovered this thread. :(

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
How dare you resurrect that monstrosity.

I'll never forget that 1 minute of life. It was like having a heart attack and then getting kicked in the bawls.

Spuradicator
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM

agreed 10 fold

xellos88330
10-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Quick!!! Someone neuralize me!!! I don't want to remember that game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I just can't separate that amazing shot from the gut wrenching play that came next. Still feels like a punch in the gut. Thanks for posting that Shoogar. What the hell happened to "First do no harm?"

polandprzem
10-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Every time you think you can forget ...
The comes Shoog with that! :bang

I think that was the biggest shot in TD's career

I was checking boxscores and I was "live" with the game in a meaning that I was checking the numbers changing.
Wtf was going on there? Kobe hit a shot I got upset as hell. ... Then when Timmay hit the shot I was WOW Timmay with the clutch, and then ... wtf going on there zeros on the clock and LA timeout? wtf? Are there 0.3 left or something?

Then they changed the score, so I could go and preapare to go to school in one of the darkest days I've ever experienced.

to21
10-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Right in that fat fuck's grill.

ambchang
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I was having a great day, well thanks.
Thinking back, people were hailing that as the real Finals, but Detroit came in and whopped the Lakers. Even if the Spurs did beat LA, there were still no guarantees that they would beat the Pistons (I am pretty sure they could beat the Wolves). The Spurs had a huge weakness (outside shooting), and I am sure Larry Brown will exploit that. He almost did until Horry came in and saved the day a year after.

ShoogarBear
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying that the Spurs would have beaten the Pistons (The Twolves? No question.) But that shot should have been THE highlight of Duncan's career. The one they would play right before his HoF induction.

'Course, the Three wasn't bad, either.

duncan228
10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
The one they would play right before his HoF induction.

'Course, the Three wasn't bad, either.

I'm keeping a compilation tape for the occasion. :smokin