PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Win Doesn't Provide Answers

duncan228
10-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Spurs' win doesn’t provide answers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_win_doesnt_provide_answers.html)
By Mike Monroe

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likely will make some cuts when his club returns to San Antonio after the two-game road trip that began here last night with an 86-64 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

Knowing this, he allotted significant playing time to each of the three young wing players trying to carve out a spot on the regular season roster.

The head coach’s fondest wish: “I’d love for somebody to make it impossible for me to cut him,” he said.

That probably didn’t happen Tuesday.

Nothing Popovich saw Tuesday placed Malik Hairston, Desmon Farmer or Devin Green on the uncuttable list. Each had good moments, and bad, against the Pistons.

But Popovich saw something late in the second half of his team’s first preseason victory that may change the dynamic of his roster evaluations altogether. Rookie point guard George Hill, after another impressive performance in the first half, suffered a sprained left thumb when he got tangled with Pistons big man Antonio McDyess under the Detroit basket.

“We’re not sure,” Popovich said, “but he may have either a bad sprain or a torn ligament. We’ll have to wait for the doctor on that and hope for the best.”

A torn ligament likely would sideline Hill for an extended period. That could present the evaluation process with an unanticipated detour.

The X-ray machine at Van Andel Arena, where Tuesday’s game was played, was inoperative, so the extent of Hill’s injury could not be determined. Hill will be examined today in Cleveland to diagnosis the extent of the injury.

Hill isn’t sure how he injured the thumb, only that it resulted as he tried to box out McDyess, a veteran power forward who is one of the NBA’s stronger post players.

“It got a little physical down there,” Hill said. “I’ll just wait for the exam tomorrow and hope for the best.”

Before suffering the injury, Hill had knocked down 3 of 5 shots, including 2 of 3 3-point attempts.

He scored eight points, with four assists.

“All in all,” Popovich said, “he’s showing more confidence all the time and more awareness of what we’re trying to do.”

All of which makes the wait for today’s examination of Hill’s thumb even more nerve-racking.

With starter Tony Parker sitting out Tuesday’s game with what Popovich called “an Achilles thing” — better described as minor soreness in the All-Star point guard’s left Achilles tendon — Popovich ended up giving big guard-small forward Ime Udoka some time at point guard in the second half.

“I didn’t want to overplay Jacque (Vaughn),” Popovich said, “so Ime got a little time at the point. He enjoys handling the ball. Though he’s not going to blow by anybody, he enjoys it, so we were able to do it for him tonight.”

Udoka scored all seven of his points while playing the point, and did a decent job of running the Spurs’ offense.

“I’ve played a little spot point guard here and there,” he said. “Once George got hurt, Pop told me to be ready to take over for Jacque. I just tried to keep the little fellows off me. It would have been easier if all the other vets had been out there with me, but we managed to maintain the lead, so it worked out all right.”

The Spurs never trailed against the Pistons, who had won their first four preseason games. The Spurs held them scoreless through the first 41/2 minutes of the game, then limiting Detroit to eight points in the third period.

As for the evaluation of the three young wing players trying to make the roster, Popovich said he was no closer to a decision than he had been before Tuesday’s tipoff.

“They’re all competing very well,” he said, “trying to play the best basketball they can and trying to make the basketball team.

“All three of them are making it very difficult on us. They’re all playing very good basketball, each doing different things. It makes it a hard evaluation.”

Manufan909
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Who would you cut, if you had to cut 3? I'd cut Green, Gaines, and be torn between cutting Tolliver, Hairston, or Farmer. At least with Hairston I know he could just season on the Toros.

timvp
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
But Popovich saw something late in the second half of his team’s first preseason victory that may change the dynamic of his roster evaluations altogether. Rookie point guard George Hill, after another impressive performance in the first half, suffered a sprained left thumb when he got tangled with Pistons big man Antonio McDyess under the Detroit basket.

“We’re not sure,” Popovich said, “but he may have either a bad sprain or a torn ligament. We’ll have to wait for the doctor on that and hope for the best.”

A torn ligament likely would sideline Hill for an extended period. You gotta be kidding me. A bad sprain will sideline Hill for at least a couple of weeks and up to about six weeks. A torn ligament would sideline him for months. Probably All-Star break at the earliest.

:pctoss

10-14-2008, 11:22 PM
why was hill trying to box out antonio mcdyess in the first place?

ElNono
To be honest with you, if I didn't know Pop was so in love with Tolliver, he would be the one I think should be cut, based on the two preseason games I saw.

SenorSpur
You gotta be kidding me. A bad sprain will sideline Hill for at least a couple of weeks and up to about six weeks. A torn ligament would sideline him for months. Probably All-Star break at the earliest.

I thought that all my "oh shit" moments had been limited to the Cowboys.

DPG21920
10-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Well we do not know what the extent of the injury is, so no need to panic...yet

ElNono
10-14-2008, 11:27 PM
You gotta be kidding me. A bad sprain will sideline Hill for at least a couple of weeks and up to about six weeks. A torn ligament would sideline him for months. Probably All-Star break at the earliest.

It is what it is. Let's hope it's just a sprain. Now, this injury pretty much assures Vaughn will take a roster spot. Mason would play the third string PG position if necessary to start the season.

timtonymanu
10-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Spurs injuries:
1. Manu Ginobili
2. Kurt Thomas
3. Salim Stoudamire
4. Ian Mahinmi
5. Tony Parker
6. George Hill

im tired of this crap really. serious injuries or not, i want it to end already.

polandprzem
10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
I have no words :pctoss

Fucking fuck that bad luck! :cuss:

dbestpro
10-15-2008, 06:16 AM
No brainer based on performance
Cut 1. Gaines
Cut 2. Tolliver
Cut 3. Green
Cut 4. Hairston
Last to go Farmer
I think they will keep Watkins for the physical play he provides.
Farmer is a scorer but in the end he is not as good a shooter as Stoudamire.
Bonner just doesn't seem to fit but the Spurs are comitted to giving him at least 1/2 a year to prove himself in the Horry role.

remingtonbo2001
10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Spurs injuries:
1. Manu Ginobili
2. Kurt Thomas
3. Salim Stoudamire
4. Ian Mahinmi
5. Tony Parker
6. George Hill

im tired of this crap really. serious injuries or not, i want it to end already.

This situation smells of conspiracy...

Spurs are in tank mode. :downspin:

tav1
10-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Sometimes you can't catch a break.

If Hill is injured for an extended period, it will mean good things for Salim Stoudamire and Farmer/Hairston. Pop wants more scoring from the back court, and JV can not do that. Hill can, as it turns out. But in the meantime, Stoudamire probably has the inside track over Vaughn.

It's counter-intuitive in some ways, and goes against the Spurs bloodlust for "corporate knowledge," but I continue to believe this actually pressures the Spurs to move forward without Vaughn.

In addition, the Spurs like to add players in waves, never having too many guys learning the system at once. The way things have worked out this off season, the Spurs are clearly reconstituting their back court and not their wing or front court. I'd expect they'll either concentrate on wing or front court next off season (Gist, Javtokas, feature Mahinmi) . In 2010 they'll adjust as necessary, but they are always putting pieces around the core for 2, 3 and 4 year spurts. Barring AI coming off the bench for 3 million a season, the Spurs are currently establishing a back court for at least the next two seasons.

Parker/Hill/Stoudamire is a pretty good bet. And Mason/Gino/Farmer or Hairston is not a bad two year option, especially considering that Hairston has a higher ceiling than most expected--his defense, for example, is NBA-ready. He'll never be a stud, but he could have a career as a stop-gap sometime-rotation guy. A year in Austin would be welcome.

tav1
10-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Also, the Spurs might lose Tolliver and keep a surplus wing, either Hairston of Farmer. The big rotation is thin, but it would be better to play small then play a lousy big. And Hairston and Farmer could both contribute next season, too. Perhaps an out of balance roster of

Parker/Hill/Stoudamire
Mason/Gino/Farmer
Bowen/Fin/Hairston (Austin)
Duncan/Udoka/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi

is the best option. It's dangerously thin, but it's also vastly more talented than keeping around a shooting big who can't shoot.

In this scenario, the Spurs play small with Udoka at the 4. Honestly, some of Udoka's best moments from last season came at the 4. So it could work. Parker off ball more with Udoka at the 4 gives the Spurs as different look offensively.

Man, would I rather have Gist than Tolliver right now. And I wonder how different the front line would look with a healthy Mahinmi.

boutons_
10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Tony's "Achilles thing" is tendinitis? Overuse already? or not enough rest this summer?

Spurs Brazil
10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
A torn ligament likely would sideline Hill for an extended period. That could present the evaluation process with an unanticipated detour.

Unbelievable,
Things just get worst everyday. Hill was playing very well. Let’s hope for the best.
Stoudamire just got an early Christmas gift. His chance to make the team will be big if Hill is out.
I think it also may be a bad news for Tolliver. With Hill out Stoudmire will probably stay and the other open spot would be a swing or Tolliver.

Indazone
10-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Spurs injuries:
1. Manu Ginobili
2. Kurt Thomas
3. Salim Stoudamire
4. Ian Mahinmi
5. Tony Parker
6. George Hill

Welcome to our world

tp2021
10-15-2008, 09:46 AM
This situation smells of conspiracy...

Spurs are in tank mode. :downspin:

Only if Timmy goes down. If that happens, just have Tony sit out from a bogus injury, like a snapped dick.

tmtcsc
10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I thought Farmer looked really good. He's not passive or scared out on the floor. In fact, he got hit in the mouth, got pissed, came down the floor and called for the ball. He promptly hit a sweet 3 with a bit of a scowl on his face.
We could use more tough guys on this team who aren't afraid to hit back and who respond to physical play.

hater
10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
God is punishing us because Manu Ginobili does not beleive.

SenorSpur
10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I keep saying that the Spurs will need another big. Primarily for the following reasons:

1. Uncertain development and injury to Ian.
2. Spurs lack another true shot-blocker and glass cleaner of size
3. Roster versatility
3. Answer to against some of the bigger frontlines of the Western Conference.

The Blazers, Fakers, Suns and Mavs can all throw size (at least 2 seven footers) at the Spurs. I don't want to see any more of Duncan having to fend off these trees with little to no support anymore.

I believe Watkins should fit the bill here.

I. Hustle
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
This just in. It has been reported that George Hill has bitten off his thumb and burned the opening with a hot iron.

SenorSpur
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
This just in. It has been reported that George Hill has bitten off his thumb and burned the opening with a hot iron.

No worries. Gist can re-attach. Because he is a doctor AND he played one on TV too

Solid D
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
God is punishing us because Manu Ginobili does not beleive.

:)
It's time for Manu to recognize and come-correct. :lol Probably not punishing me for Manu's beliefs.

The Lord chooses his times and places and people but you can't read that into an injury, necessarily...but....I know of a time or two that an injury has slowed me down and caused me to think about things, and in one instance at least, be still and draw near to God.

Manu's current disbelief is interesting, considering his name (Emmanuel/Immanuel = "God with us" עִמָּנוּ אֵל in Hebrew)

timvp
10-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Manu's current disbelief is interesting, considering his name (Emmanuel/Immanuel = "God with us" עִמָּנוּ אֵל in Hebrew)

Are you saying "Manu" means "with" in Hebrew?

:downspin:

T Park
10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
:lmao

Manu must've been reallllly uncomfortable his first year in the league..

Fermixalot
10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Only if Timmy goes down. If that happens, just have Tony sit out from a bogus injury, like a snapped dick.

:lol:lol

mrspurs
10-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I keep saying that the Spurs will need another big. Primarily for the following reasons:

1. Uncertain development and injury to Ian.
2. Spurs lack another true shot-blocker and glass cleaner of size
3. Roster versatility
3. Answer to against some of the bigger frontlines of the Western Conference.

The Blazers, Fakers, Suns and Mavs can all throw size (at least 2 seven footers) at the Spurs. I don't want to see any more of Duncan having to fend off these trees with little to no support anymore.

I believe Watkins should fit the bill here.

Agreed, there are plenty of teams out there we wont be able to handle in the paint. Not just the ones you mentioned. But Im not sure Watkins is the guy to fill those shoes. And I know Fab and Kurt aren't gonna help Timmy. Both of them are bench players on most NBA teams. And we gotta make one of them a starter? Again? I can see Timmy's eyes while hes headed back to the other side of the court after another non-contested lay-up or even worse the Alley-Oop.

urunobili
10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
i think Watkins could be really helpful against Chandler and Bynum

SenorSpur
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Agreed, there are plenty of teams out there we wont be able to handle in the paint. Not just the ones you mentioned. But Im not sure Watkins is the guy to fill those shoes. And I know Fab and Kurt aren't gonna help Timmy. Both of them are bench players on most NBA teams. And we gotta make one of them a starter? Again? I can see Timmy's eyes while hes headed back to the other side of the court after another non-contested lay-up or even worse the Alley-Oop.

:toast :toast

SenorSpur
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
i think Watkins could be really helpful against Chandler and Bynum

:toast

tav1
10-16-2008, 08:58 AM

My counsel is patience. There is a decent chance a better prospect than Watkins will be available on the 26th or later this fall. I don't want the Spurs to commit to someone like Watkins until they see who shakes from the trees.

The other thing I would like to know is how long will Ian be on the shelf, and whether or not he's back to Austin. If it's back to Austin, then the Spurs can't keep Watkins. They'll have to look for a vet.

SenorSpur
10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
My counsel is patience. There is a decent chance a better prospect than Watkins will be available on the 26th or later this fall. I don't want the Spurs to commit to someone like Watkins until they see who shakes from the trees.

The other thing I would like to know is how long will Ian be on the shelf, and whether or not he's back to Austin. If it's back to Austin, then the Spurs can't keep Watkins. They'll have to look for a vet.

Problem is you're not going to find serviceable big men on the street - especially vets that can rebound, block shots and defend. Teams are just not turning those guy loose. If spares like Patrick O'Bryant and David Harrison get roster spots (and we'll find out in a couple of weeks), the pool may be very, very shallow.