PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell Is Ready To Endorse

JoeChalupa
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Colin Powell Is Ready to Endorse (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-odonnell/colin-powell-is-ready-to_b_134777.html)

When Colin Powell turns off his TV after the final presidential debate, he will have learned everything he is going to learn about the candidates vying to succeed his former boss, George W. Bush. Powell has made it clear that he has been thinking about an endorsement for a long time but wanted to hear more from the candidates before making his choice. It now seems beyond doubt that Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama and thereby hammer the final nail in the coffin of the Republican campaign to hold onto the White House.

The recent ugliness of the McCain-Palin rally audiences cannot be lost on Colin Powell. And Powell is not one to ignore a 14 point lead in a New York Times poll. But most important for Powell and the press will be his explicit rejection of the Bush-McCain approach to Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world.

Powell's endorsement will be perfectly timed to dominate a news cycle or two. It will give Obama the one thing he still needs more of--credibility as Commander-In-Chief. And Sarah Palin's speechwriters will be hard pressed to come up with a condescending quip about it.

This will be great news for Obama.

clambake
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
is that when republicans can start calling him a house ni----?

ElNono
10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Powell is a Muslim... probably a BLT too...

Oh, Gee!!
10-15-2008, 01:27 PM
muslim-blt....an oxymoron?

ElNono
10-15-2008, 01:29 PM
muslim-blt....an oxymoron?

Not since Obama... apparently.

cool hand
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
does colin powell have terrorist ties?

Xylus
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Colin Ahmedinejad Powell

TheMadHatter
10-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Colin "Dirty ###### Islamic Fascist" Powell.

smeagol
10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
If he endorses Obama, whottt is going to go all whottt on Powell

balli
10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Just another elitist Washington-insider commie.

Wild Cobra
10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
It now seems beyond doubt that Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama and thereby hammer the final nail in the coffin of the Republican campaign to hold onto the White House.

Sorry, I don't believe it. Powell is a left of center, but not that liberal. His policies are far closer to McCains than Obama's.

I just don' see that happening.

Wild Cobra
10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
is that when republicans can start calling him a house ni----?
That's reserved for you libtards.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
That's reserved for you libtards.

WOAH WOAH WOAH

so you call people house ######s?

And yes, I have no self control.

Wild Cobra
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
WOAH WOAH WOAH

so you call people house ######s?

And yes, I have no self control.
No, it's the liberals who call people ######s.

JoeChalupa
10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I don't believe it. Powell is a left of center, but not that liberal. His policies are far closer to McCains than Obama's.

I concur but I also feel that if he endorses anyone it would be Obama and not McCain.

whottt
10-15-2008, 03:08 PM
If he endorses Obama, whottt is going to go all whottt on Powell

whottt in 2005:

Here what I graded out to be:

Me:

Realist

Realists…

Are guided more by practical considerations than ideological vision
Believe US power is crucial to successful diplomacy - and vice versa
Don't want US policy options unduly limited by world opinion or ethical considerations
Believe strong alliances are important to US interests
Weigh the political costs of foreign action
Believe foreign intervention must be dictated by compelling national interest
Historical realist: President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Modern realist: Secretary of State Colin Powell

To tell the truth I am little disappointed in my results as I don't like either of those two realists very much when it comes to foreign policy...I expected a much more conservative grade. But if it was a total political grade I'd be in the middle IMO.

It is kind of cool I graded out with two generals though...

I've never been a big fan of Powells...not since I found out he was the primary architect behind the Persian Gulf strategy that lead to several hundred thousands of Shias and Kurds being exterminated by Saddam after we asked them to rise up against him.

I honestly don't have a clue who he will endorse. Although I feel much the same way about him that I do about McCain in that I don't get where he is coming from often...so it won't suprise me if he endorses McCain.

Actually that whole confusing thing is a problem I have with a great many military guys that enter politics...there haven't been many that were my first choice...including McCain.

I think Schwartzkopf is probably my favorite...although I do like the guy that took over the Katrina operation...

"Don't get stuck on stupid" I guarantee you that guy is a Republican.

JoeChalupa
10-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I've always been a fan of Colin Powell's.

whottt
10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I've always been a fan of Colin Powell's.

He's a good man...but I don't agree with a lot of his foreign policy ideas.

That said...the ones I don't agree with him on tend to be the same ones I don't agree with McCain on.

I am in favor of torturing the living shit out of guilty terrorists(as in enemy combatants that refuse to makr themselves as such)...I'm then in favor of feeding them to pigs and videotaping it.

Powell and McCain both disagree with me on this.

dg7md
10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
He's a good man...but I don't agree with a lot of his foreign policy ideas.

That said...the ones I don't agree with him on tend to be the same ones I don't agree with McCain on.

I am in favor of torturing the living shit out of guilty terrorists(as in enemy combatants that refuse to makr themselves as such)...I'm then in favor of feeding them to pigs and videotaping it.

Powell and McCain both disagree with me on this.

People involved with the military or having experience in that area are AGAINST torture? Who would have thought... :wow

ChumpDumper
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
The difference is whottt is a sociopath.

Findog
10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd like a source for this other than HuffPo...

On the other hand, why hasn't he endorsed McCain yet? The Reagans hated McCain's guts, and yet Nancy offered up a tepid "Well, he's the Republican nominee, so I guess I have to endorse him.." statement of support.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00414/ColinPowell4-385_414622a.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00618/SNA162511-280_618005a.jpghttp://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00618/SNN1618CC-280_618004a.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
whottt would never do that.

exstatic
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Powell's endorsement isn't going to carry the weight it might have, say 6 years ago before the whole Iraq made up intel lying to the UN thing. Testifying as a character witness for that absolute corrupt SLIME Ted Stevens isn't helping his endorsement weight, either.

JoeChalupa
10-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Powell's endorsement isn't going to carry the weight it might have, say 6 years ago before the whole Iraq made up intel lying to the UN thing. Testifying as a character witness for that absolute corrupt SLIME Ted Stevens isn't helping his endorsement weight, either.

I disagree. I think Powell still has great respect amongst Americans. I know I still do.

Nbadan
10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Would have been better if Powell had come clean about being duped into Iraq, but he hasn't...

Wild Cobra
10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

No kidding. I laugh at those who use that propaganda post as gospel.

On the other hand, why hasn't he endorsed McCain yet? The Reagans hated McCain's guts, and yet Nancy offered up a tepid "Well, he's the Republican nominee, so I guess I have to endorse him.." statement of support.

Probably because he has always been nonpartisan as he can. Both are non-conservative republicans, but that doesn't make then in line with each other. He might not even like McCain, but I'm sure he dislikes Obama.

What good will it do for him to endorce McCain anyway, over his own color? Just think of how the established media and leftist pundits will treat him. Can anyone say Uncle Tom?

Wild Cobra
10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I disagree. I think Powell still has great respect amongst Americans. I know I still do.
I agree with you there. He openly disagreed with president Bush helping the left to like him, and conservatives didn't dislike him over the deal either.

Clandestino
10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
powells endorsement, if for obama, won't mean shit.. ALL BLACK people are pretty much for Obama...

cool hand
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM

you have got to get the "left" out of your mind. Mccain is a fascist, Obama is actually a tad right of center.....where most Americans are. don't let the media get a hold of your mind.

baseline bum
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
powells endorsement, if for obama, won't mean shit.. ALL BLACK people are pretty much for Obama...

So Powell doesn't appeal to white voters?

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Can anyone say Uncle Tom?

That's all they can say.

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Mccain is a fascist, Obama is actually a tad right of center.....

:lmao

Hook Dem
10-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Much the same as the Clintons supporting Obama huh???:rollin

JoeChalupa
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Hillary is doing quite well supporting Obama....Bill on the other hand..

Findog
10-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Much the same as the Clintons supporting Obama huh???:rollin

They're out there stumping for him.

Once again, leave the discussion to the grownups.

Soul_Patch
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
As a side note; Collin Powell is the whitest black man i have ever seen. He is actually probably whiter than a lot of white people.

dg7md
10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Hillary is doing quite well supporting Obama....Bill on the other hand..

Yeah, Hilary is highly supporting Obama for presidency which really shows her legitimacy as a democrat. Bill is doing the same, but less "media-friendly" about his support.

JoeChalupa
10-16-2008, 01:12 PM
As a side note; Collin Powell is the whitest black man i have ever seen. He is actually probably whiter than a lot of white people.

Have you ever heard of Michael Jackson? Or Bill Clinton?

DarrinS
10-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Would have been better if Powell had come clean about being duped into Iraq, but he hasn't...

That's not true.

hitmanyr2k
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Have you ever heard of Michael Jackson? Or Bill Clinton?

I don't think Michael Jackson was trying to be "white". I honestly believe he was trying to make himself into a Japanese anime character.

whottt
10-17-2008, 01:20 AM
The difference is whottt is a sociopath.

Get the fuck over it.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Get over Palin.

whottt
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
You get over her.

And better to be a soci-opath
than a soci-alist!

Sarah Palin
10-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Get over Palin.

Whottt would love to be over me!!

JoeChalupa
10-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I'll be watching Meet the Press on Sunday to hear what he has to say. I doubt he'll give an endorsement though but I hope I'm wrong.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Colin Powell announces he's voting for Obama!!!
He laid out his reasons and they echo to views of many Americans.
McCain's unsteadiness during this economic crisis.
McCain's unwillingness to talk to other foreign leaders.
McCain's choice of Gov. Sarah Palin as V.P.
Sarah Palin's clear support of the far fight of the Republican party.
The path the Republican party has taken.
The McCain campaign's continuous use of the Ayers connection.

He did say he wouldn't be campaigning for Obama but what a powerful statement of confidence.

Clandestino
10-19-2008, 08:17 AM
He's black.. this is not news.

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Damn. He gave him a great endorsement. He didn't just endorse him, he basically stumped for him in playing up his qualifications and pointing out the potential problems of a McCain administration.

I also liked what he said about discrimination against Muslims and the picture he saw of the grave of a decorated soldier at Arlington with the Islamic symbol at the top of the headstone.

George Gervin's Afro
10-19-2008, 08:20 AM

great insight.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 08:20 AM

You apparently were not watching.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Damn. He gave him a great endorsement. He didn't just endorse him, he basically stumped for him in playing up his qualifications and pointing out the potential problems of a McCain administration.

I also liked what he said about discrimination against Muslims and the picture he saw of the grave of a decorated soldier at Arlington with the Islamic symbol at the top of the headstone.

I concur. That was a powerful story that needs to be told.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I didn't catch it, did he come up with anything other than the usual criticisms from the Democratic Party, or was it just the usual anti-Republican talking points.

And is this the same Colin Powell that tried to convince the rest of the World that we needed to invade Iraq because they had Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Of course it is the same Powell, and since Bush is a no-good for falling for it, Powell is also a no-good, yes?

Hook Dem
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I didn't catch it, did he come up with anything other than the usual criticisms from the Democratic Party, or was it just the usual anti-Republican talking points.

And is this the same Colin Powell that tried to convince the rest of the World that we needed to invade Iraq because they had Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Of course it is the same Powell, and since Bush is a no-good for falling for it, Powell is also a no-good, yes?

Don't confuse them with facts Joch!:lmao

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Well, basically he said that the Republican Party is narrowing and courting the more extreme member of the party. He also said that during the last 5 weeks, McCain has been haphazard, while Obama seemed to have a grasp of the problems and a steady approach in addressing them.

No doubt. While I think this is a great endorsement and have much respect for Gen. Powell, there are those in this party (you've seen them on this board) that no longer have any respect Powell and could care less about his opinions.

I disagree with that view.

boutons_
10-19-2008, 08:59 AM
"no longer have any respect Powell"

Rather than resign to maintain his respect and honor, he went to the UN and fucking lied the US into Iraq. He'll NEVER live down that moment of ignominy and infamy.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 09:01 AM

I'd say Colin Powell's level of respect is much higher than that of Bush around the Country and the World. And yes, that is the same Colin Powell and if he'd chosen to support McCain you'd all be happy.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Don't confuse them with facts Joch!:lmao

And the fact is that Powell chose to support Obama. :lmao

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I'd say Colin Powell's level of respect is much higher than that of Bush around the Country and the World. And yes, that is the same Colin Powell and if he'd chosen to support McCain you'd all be happy.

Many of the posters here trash Bush mainly for the Iraq Invasion, and it therefore, it would be hypocritical for any of them to praise the Powell endorsement. I don't know if you fit into that category Joe.

And yes, McCain and his supporters would have welcomed with open arms the Powell endorsement.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, basically he said that the Republican Party is narrowing and courting the more extreme member of the party. He also said that during the last 5 weeks, McCain has been haphazard, while Obama seemed to have a grasp of the problems and a steady approach in addressing them.
Thanks for filling me in Peabody, I'll watch the debate on tape later today to get a fuller understanding of his endorsement.

10-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Now the right will find all kinds of stuff wrong with Powell.

baseline bum
10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Many of the posters here trash Bush mainly for the Iraq Invasion, and it therefore, it would be hypocritical for any of them to praise the Powell endorsement. I don't know if you fit into that category Joe.

And yes, McCain and his supporters would have welcomed with open arms the Powell endorsement.

Yes, Powell is a douche for presenting information that he did not believe to the UN. He absolutely should have resigned with the disrespect Bush and Cheney showed. He should have made Cheney give that fucking presentation.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 09:30 AM

I can certainly understand but I, personally, still have much more respect for Colin Powell than I do of President Bush. And I think it would be safe to say that John McCain himself would go to Powell before Bush for foreign policy advice. Then again knowing John's temper that probably wouldn't happen now.

exstatic
10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Although I have almost zero respect for Powell at this point (UN, Ted Stevens trial), this will help Obama to no end. What's the saying? Politics makes strange bedfellows. This is probably the stake through McCain's (barely beating) heart.

He also did one really good thing in the endoresement to head off the BRHs and Klandestinos of the world:

Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement, but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision. If it was, he said, he would have made the endorsement months ago.

ducks
10-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Retired General Colin L. Powell, one of the country's most respected Republicans, stunned both parties on Sunday by strongly endorsing Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president on NBC's "Meet the Press" and laying out a blistering, detailed critique of the modern GOP.

Powell said the election of Obama would "electrify the world."

"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama."

As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficult with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race.

Moderator Tom Brokaw said: "There will be some ... who will say this is an African-American, distinguished American supporting another African-American because of race."

Powell, who last year gave the Arizona senator's campaign the maximum $2,300, replied: "If I had only had that in mind, I could have done this six, eight, 10 months ago. I really have been going back and forth between somebody I have the highest respect and regard for, John McCain and somebody I was getting to know, Barack Obama. And it was only in the last couple of months that I settled on this."

"I can't deny that it will be a historic event when an African-American becomes president," Powell continued, speaking live in the studio. "And should that happen, all Americans should be proud — not just African-American, but all Americans — that we have reached this point in our national history where such a thing could happen. It would also not only electrify the country, but electrify the world."

Powell, making his 30th appearance on "Meet the Press," said he does not plan to campaign for Obama. He led into his endorsement by saying: "We've got two individuals — either one of them could be a good president. But which is the president that we need now — which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time.

"And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities — and you have to take that into account — as well as his substance — he has both style and substance, he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president."

Powell said that he is "troubled" by the direction of the Republican Party, and said he began to doubt Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when he chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

"Not just small towns have values," he said, responding to one of Palin's signature lines.

"She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired," he said. "But at the same, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made."

The endorsement is likely to help Obama convince skeptical centrists that he is ready to handle the challenges of commander in chief, and undercuts McCain argument that he is better qualified on national-security issues.

McCain, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," sought to minimize the endorsement by noting his support from other former secretaries of state and retired military flag officers.

"It doesn’t come as a surprise," McCain said. "I'm very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state, well over 200 retired generals and admirals. I've admired and continue to respect Secretary Powell."

Powell, 71, criticized McCain and his campaign for invoking the former domestic terrorist William Ayers.

"They're trying to connect him to some kind of terrorist feelings, and I think that's inappropriate," Powell said. "Now I understand what politics is all about — I know how you can go after one another. And that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me. And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift."

Powell said he has "heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion [that Obama's] a Muslim and might be associated with terrorists."

"This is not the way we should be doing it in America. I feel strongly about this particular point," Powell said. "We have got to stop polarizing ourselves in this way. And John McCain is as non-discriminatory as anyone I know. But I'm troubled about the fact that within the party, we have these kinds of expressions."

Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and was President George W. Bush’s first secretary of State.

Powell has consulted with both Obama and McCain, and the general’s camp had indicated in the past that he would not endorse.

Powell said that as he watched McCain, the Republican “was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem, and that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had."

Powell said a big job of the new president will be “conveying a new image of American leadership, a new image of America’s role in the world.”

“I think what the president has to do is to start using the power of the Oval Office and the power of his personality to convince the American people and to convince the world that America is solid, America is going to move forward … restoring a sense of purpose,” he said.

Anti.Hero
10-19-2008, 10:00 AM
As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficult with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

Shit. He's right. What we need is 2 more ACLU goons to really spice things up.

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama."

Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race.

Moderator Tom Brokaw said: "There will be some ... who will say this is an African-American, distinguished American supporting another African-American because of race."

Powell, who last year gave the Arizona senator's campaign the maximum $2,300, replied: "If I had only had that in mind, I could have done this six, eight, 10 months ago. I really have been going back and forth between somebody I have the highest respect and regard for, John McCain and somebody I was getting to know, Barack Obama. And it was only in the last couple of months that I settled on this."

"And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities — and you have to take that into account — as well as his substance — he has both style and substance, he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president."

Powell said that he is "troubled" by the direction of the Republican Party, and said he began to doubt Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when he chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

"Not just small towns have values," he said, responding to one of Palin's signature lines.:lol

"She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired," he said. "But at the same, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made."

Powell, 71, criticized McCain and his campaign for invoking the former domestic terrorist William Ayers.

"They're trying to connect him to some kind of terrorist feelings, and I think that's inappropriate," Powell said. "Now I understand what politics is all about — I know how you can go after one another. And that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me. And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift."

Powell said he has "heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion [that Obama's] a Muslim and might be associated with terrorists."

"This is not the way we should be doing it in America. I feel strongly about this particular point," Powell said. "We have got to stop polarizing ourselves in this way. And John McCain is as non-discriminatory as anyone I know. But I'm troubled about the fact that within the party, we have these kinds of expressions."

Powell said that as he watched McCain, the Republican “was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem, and that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had."

Powell said a big job of the new president will be “conveying a new image of American leadership, a new image of America’s role in the world.”

“I think what the president has to do is to start using the power of the Oval Office and the power of his personality to convince the American people and to convince the world that America is solid, America is going to move forward … restoring a sense of purpose,” he said.

McCain's attacks are really having an effect. I don't know whether it's necessarily the effect he had planned, but an effect nonetheless.

Also, the pick of Palin appears to be a drag on the ticket. Every conservative (commentator and media outlet) that criticizes McCain includes the Palin pick as a main point of criticism.

clambake
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
joe the plumber: "he was great, now he sucks."

George Gervin's Afro
10-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Where did Powell get the information to use to justify the war? He also said that the war would have never gained his, or the public's, backing had Iraq not had wmds. Or are you telling me that Powell made up what he said at the UN?

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd still follow Powell into battle any day of the week.

ElNono
10-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Did Powell acknowledge he's a Muslim BLT? :rolleyes

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Here's the pic:

http://www.newyorker.com/images/2008/09/29/p465/080929_slideshowplaton16_p465.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
What these idiots don't understand is that Powell's UN speech was the last attempt at finding a diplomatic solution to the Iraq situation, not a pre-announcement of the justifications for war.

Powell holed up for days before the speech and threw out several unsubstantiated claims. His big problem was accepting some of the claims that had made it through several stops on the intel chain where somewhere along the line any doubts about the original source were lost or omitted, e.g, Curveball.

Powell was right about the dangers of invading Iraq, and his department should have been in charge of the reconstruction effort. Too bad his boss was too stupid to realize this.

boutons_
10-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Powell's Endorsement Is a Huge Slap in the Face for McCain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-bergmann/powells-endorsement-is-a_b_135923.html?view=print

The condemnation of John McCain by John Lewis -- a man McCain called one of the three wise men (http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/1008/John_Lewis_invoking_George_Wallace_says_McCain_and _Palin_playing_with_fire.html) he would consult as president -- was a huge personal blow to McCain. But Powell's endorsement of Obama is even more of a slap in the face.

Powell is a man that McCain has tremendous respect and admiration for. He once said he respected Powell more than any man in the world.

In the New York Times Magazine (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/us/politics/13text-mccain.html?_r=1&sq=john%20mccain%20colin%20powell&st=cse&oref=slogin&scp=14&pagewanted=print)this summer McCain said, "Colin Powell, a man who I admire as much as any man in the world, person in the world..."

McCain called Powell one of the most "credible" and "respected men in America.

Politico reported in August that McCain was even considering (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12753.html) asking Powell to be his running mate. McCain has repeatedly said in the past that if elected he would have asked Powell to serve in his administration. Powell and McCain know each other well and have worked closely together. His public endorsement of Obama is a huge validation of Obama and a tremendous repudiation of McCain.

McCain said, "Colin Powell, a man who I admire as much as any man in the world, person in the world..." [NY Times interview with John McCain, 7/13/08 (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/us/politics/13text-mccain.html?_r=1&sq=john%20mccain%20colin%20powell&st=cse&oref=slogin&scp=14&pagewanted=print)]

McCain considered Powell for a running mate. "Retired Gen. Colin Powell is among the potential running mates who have been considered by John McCain, campaign advisers told Politico. Powell was among the possible vice presidential choices the Arizona Republican senator was thinking of when he said he would not rule out a supporter of abortion rights, a key adviser said." [Politico, 8/23/08 (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12753.html)]

McCain said President Bush was "blessed" to have Powell working for him. McCain said, "I think the president is blessed to have two extremely talented people (Powell and Rumsfeld), experienced people, working for him, and others, but particularly those two." [MSNBC Hardball, 4/23/03]

McCain called Powell one of the most "credible" and "respected men in America. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) praised Powell as one of the "most credible" and "most respected" men in America. [LA Times, 2/6/03 (http://blogger.huffingtonpost.com/mt.cgi?__mode=view&_type=entry&blog_id=3)]

McCain said he admired and respected Powell, said he was one of most "honest" men he had "ever known." "Sen. McCain: Well, Colin Powell's one of the most honest men that I've ever known and I admire and respect him enormously, and so obviously I'd take his word for it." [CNBC 4/20/04]

McCain was "exuberant" over Powell's selection as Secretary of State. After it was announced that Powell had been nominated by Bush for Secretary of State, McCain said, "I'm exuberant over the prospect of his [Colin Powell] stewardship of American foreign policy. There's a lot of very dangerous places in the world due to the fecklessness of the Clinton administration." [NBC Nightly News, 12/15/00]

McCain lauds Powell's selection as Secretary of State. Senator John McCain "I think his credentials and his charisma will have a significant effect, a beneficial effect, on the conduct of American foreign policy." [NBC Nightly News, 12/16/00]

McCain said if elected in 2000 he would have appointed Powell to his cabinet. On Larry King in 2001, McCain was asked whether he would have named Mr. Rumsfeld and Colin L. Powell to a McCain cabinet. 'Oh, yes." [CNN Larry King, 11/28/01 (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0111/28/lkl.00.html)]

As leader of the International Republican Institute, John McCain gave Colin Powell the Freedom Award. "As Senator John McCain waited to speak at the annual awards dinner of the International Republican Institute, a democracy-building group he has led for 15 years," "Mr. McCain could use the chairman's [of the institute] perch to score points with important Republican figures -- he presented Freedom Awards to President Bush, former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and, in 2003, the incoming Senate majority leader, Bill Frist." [NY Times, 7/28/08 (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/28/us/politics/28IRI.html?_r=2&scp=48&sq=john%20mccain%20colin%20powell&st=cse&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)]

===========

The Repugs can still steal the election with voter purging and intimidation. Eternal vigilance.

Anti.Hero
10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Dude I don't think the republicans would try to fix this election if they could.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
This is probably the stake through McCain's (barely beating) heart.

How so, what voting bloc would change their vote based upon this endorsement?

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
How so, what voting bloc would change their vote based upon this endorsement?The small percentage of Republicans who aren't brainless talkingpointbots.

boutons_
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
"What these idiots don't understand is that Powell's UN speech was the last attempt at finding a diplomatic solution to the Iraq situation"

Powell's lying "mobile weapons lab" speech, known in the CIA/NSA to be bullshit, had the objective of obtaining a UN resolution to justify dubya busting into and occupying Iraq.

dubya and the neo-c*nts secret agenda in 2000 was invading Iraq (secret = totally unmentioned as campaign plank), no matter what. dubya abandoned Afghanistan only a few weeks after invading to switch his priority to Iraq.

Findog
10-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Many of the posters here trash Bush mainly for the Iraq Invasion, and it therefore, it would be hypocritical for any of them to praise the Powell endorsement.

I don't respect Powell for his role in the Iraq War, but it's undeniable that his endorsement helps Obama.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=George Gervin's Afro;2834939]Where did Powell get the information to use to justify the war? He also said that the war would have never gained his, or the public's, backing had Iraq not had wmds. QUOTE]

Same sources that passed along the info to Bush, so whatever your judgement is, it should be more of less the same for both.

Other than that, on this issue, yor are a hypocrite.

ElNono
10-19-2008, 12:34 PM
What these idiots don't understand is that Powell's UN speech was the last attempt at finding a diplomatic solution to the Iraq situation, not a pre-announcement of the justifications for war.

I disagree. I think they were laying out the justifications for going in.
Back then most countries thought the evidence was bullshit, hence the lack of support. I don't think at any moment was in doubt that the US and the UK were gonna go in regardless of what happened in that meeting. In Powell's defense, I would say that I don't know if he knew the evidence he presented was bullshit or not. It might well be the case he got duped by the Cheney goons too. That said, the evidence did prove to be bullshit, and he ended up looking real bad worldwide because of that.

whottt
10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I imagine this endorsement will have just slightly less impact on voting than Powell being Bush's SOS had on the votes of Nbadan, boutons and Joe Chalupa etc. in 2004...

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 12:38 PM
"What these idiots don't understand is that Powell's UN speech was the last attempt at finding a diplomatic solution to the Iraq situation"

Powell's lying "mobile weapons lab" speech, known in the CIA/NSA to be bullshit, had the objective of obtaining a UN resolution to justify dubya busting into and occupying Iraq.Bush didn't want to go through the UN at all. He already thought he had full justification to invade.

Findog
I imagine this endorsement will have just slightly less impact on voting than Powell being Bush's SOS had on the votes of Nbadan, boutons and Joe Chalupa etc. in 2004...

God you're stupid.

"The Powell endorsement is a big deal," said Scott Reed, Bob Dole's campaign manager in 1996 and a close friend of McCain campaign manager Rick Davis. "It has been bantered about since August, and shows both Powell and Obama know how to make an impact in the closing days of a tight campaign."

"What that just did in one sound bite -- and I assume that sound bite will end up in an ad -- is it eliminated the experience factor," said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican, in an appearance on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos. "How are you going to say the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the former National Security Adviser, former Secretary of State was taken in?"

Cant_Be_Faded
Huge victory for Palin.

Findog
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Huge victory for Palin.

Whether you're a liberal or a conservative, you like Powell for his record of service to his country, or like me, find his role in covering for Bush on Iraq unforgivable, this endorsement is a huge coup for Obama. Powell has cred with moderates and independents.

ElNono
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey....is this the same Huffington Post that said Colin Powell was going to endorse Obama after the final debate?

Why's everyone laughing?

Findog
10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
McCain just comes across as so pathetic here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-crONNOrjMs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-crONNOrjMs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Powell has cred with moderates and independents.

You're saying Powell has street cred? Wow, what a racist!

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Powell post-MTP interview

Nh_c5bbvmqc

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't respect Powell for his role in the Iraq War, but it's undeniable that his endorsement helps Obama.

It's going to make Obama and his supporters feel good, but I don't believe the undecided voter was sitting around thinking; "I'm gonna vote for the candidate that Powell endorses".

As far as supporting Obama, Powell didn't add any new talking points to the Democrat's arguement against McCain, or for Obama.

edit: added don't to make sense of what I posted.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
It's going to make Obama and his supporters feel good, but I believe the undecided voter was sitting around thinking; "I'm gonna vote for the candidate that Powell endorses".

As far as supporting Obama, Powell didn't add any new talking points to the Democrat's arguement against McCain, or for Obama.

By itself it doesn't do anything major, but it helps Obama win the newscycle for the next couple of days after the McCain campaign was beginning to find its bearings after a terrible 3-4 weeks. The clock is ticking and McCain is running out of time to make up ground.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:06 PM
One thing it does is put one final nail in the experience coffin - The former SoS and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs says Obama is ready to be Commander in Chief.

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
It's going to make Obama and his supporters feel good, but I believe the undecided voter was sitting around thinking; "I'm gonna vote for the candidate that Powell endorses".

No, but Powell does offer his opinion that as someone who has consulted with Obama for the last two years, he feels that Obama would make a good President. That helps with the Obama campaign's goal of making independents comfortable with the idea of an Obama presidency.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:09 PM
God you're stupid.

"The Powell endorsement is a big deal," said Scott Reed, Bob Dole's campaign manager in 1996 and a close friend of McCain campaign manager Rick Davis. "It has been bantered about since August, and shows both Powell and Obama know how to make an impact in the closing days of a tight campaign."

"What that just did in one sound bite -- and I assume that sound bite will end up in an ad -- is it eliminated the experience factor," said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican, in an appearance on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos. "How are you going to say the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the former National Security Adviser, former Secretary of State was taken in?"

I see....so what you are saying is that if Powell had endorsed McCain you'd have voted for him.

Got it :tu

Shitforbrains.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Fuck I was counting on the support of CBF, Nbadan, boutons, GGA and Joe Chalupa for McCain...now this. :depressed

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Powell's endorsement for those who missed it -
T_NMZv6Vfh8

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 01:11 PM
No, but Powell does offer his opinion that as someone who has consulted with Obama for the last two years, he feels that Obama would make a good President. That helps with the Obama campaign's goal of making independents comfortable with the idea of an Obama presidency.

Perhaps, assuming the independents aren't among the many that will always despise Bush and Powell for leading the Charge into Iraq.

It's definitely a positive, I just don't believe it translates into many votes.

Time will tell.

Edit again: Atrocious spelling, maybe I should proof-read.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Huge victory for Palin.

"Bros before Hos"

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Fuck I was counting on the support of CBF, Nbadan, boutons, GGA and Joe Chalupa for McCain...now this. :depressed

Hey, if Palin didn't win them over with all of her rockstar-like awesomeness, nothing is going to do it.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I see....so what you are saying is that if Powell had endorsed McCain you'd have voted for him.

Got it :tu

Shitforbrains.

I'm saying both campaigns would have benefited from Powell's endorsement with undecided moderates. He endorses McCain, they can say "See? The former SoS and Chairman JCs says he's inexperienced and not ready." He endorses Obama, and it's much harder for McCain to make that argument with undecided moderates.

This isn't hard, whottt.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Powell's endorsement for those who missed it -
T_NMZv6Vfh8

Very good statement. His comments about the Muslim soldier being buried at Arlington National Cemetary were very moving, and gets to the heart of how the GOP wants to divide this country into sections for its benefit.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm saying both campaigns would have benefited from Powell's endorsement with undecided moderates. He endorses McCain, they can say "See? The former SoS and Chairman JCs says he's inexperienced and not ready." He endorses Obama, and it's much harder for McCain to make that argument with undecided moderates.

This isn't hard, whottt.

Moderates are the most intelligent of all voters...an endorsement of this nature isn't going to make up their mind.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
BTW:

God you're stupid.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Moderates are the most intelligent of all voters...an endorsement of this nature isn't going to make up their mind.

There are two kinds of undecided voters left: Low-information voters swayed by lowest common denominator arguments, and highly cynical voters suspicious of both candidates. You can't argue this is good for McCain, you can only say it's impact is not that great.

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
BTW:

Gingrich is smart as hell. He's also a bit nutty and an unethical piece of shit, but nobody can deny his brainpower. He can read the tea leaves, unlike you.

timvp
10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Well stated endorsement. Although it probably lost most of its luster for being rumored for so long. The shock value or even the newsworthy value is now much lower.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
:lol rigth, having a key memer of the Bush Admin endorse Obama is going to totally legitimize 4 more years of W talking point...

Now all you need is the Rummy and Cheney endorsements and you'll have this locked up :tu

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
The small percentage of Republicans who aren't brainless talkingpointbots.

You know the rules around here (and you just broke one), the adults discuss, then the children can chime in.

(Standby, someone will PM you when it's okay to chime in.)

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Well stated endorsement. Although it probably lost most of its luster for being rumored for so long. The shock value or even the newsworthy value is now much lower.

I think you're right that it's not a major surprise, because he could've endorsed McCain a long time ago, but I think they wanted it timed for the last two weeks of the election.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
There are two kinds of undecided voters left: Low-information voters swayed by lowest common denominator arguments, and highly cynical voters suspicious of both candidates. You can't argue this is good for McCain, you can only say it's impact is not that great.

You hope...

ElNono
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
You hope...

The problem is that you're just not very good at this...

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
You hope...

I don't think Obama needs hope at this point. That's more for your boy.

PixelPusher
10-19-2008, 01:43 PM
You know the rules around here (and you just broke one), the adults discuss, then the children can chime in.

(Standby, someone will PM you when it's okay to chime in.)

That's pretty lame, even if you actually were a moderator.

(Don't bother to standy for a PM confirmation that your are not a moderator, because no one gives a crap)

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 01:44 PM

(Standby, someone will PM you when it's okay to chime in.)Lamebot.

whottt
10-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think Obama needs hope at this point. That's more for your boy.

Sure...that's why you're touting a meaningless endorsement by a lameduck as if it's a huge deal.

I'll say that Powell undermined his own credibility the second he said Palin's not ready...when she's got more experience in Government than Obama does.

Only totally in the tank Obama supporters actually buy that line of shit.

The bias there fools absolutely no one...

ElNono
10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Sure...that's why you're touting a meaningless endorsement by a lameduck as if it's a huge deal.

I'll say that Powell undermined his own credibility the second he said Palin's not ready...when she's got more experience in Government than Obama does.

LOL! He talked down Palin!!!... He must be the antichrist!!!

Findog
10-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Touting it? I didn't start this thread. Am I not allowed to comment? It's called an enthusiasm gap. Take a look at the respective benches during the waning moments of Game Six between the Celtics and the Lakers. Which bench was more animated and lively?

exstatic
10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
How so, what voting bloc would change their vote based upon this endorsement?

Undecideds with a mild conservative bent. McCain was probably counting on those. They were really his only hope, if he got them all.

hitmanyr2k
10-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I suspect we'll be seeing another Republican endorsement for Obama from Senator Chuck Hagel soon.

Findog
10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I suspect we'll be seeing another Republican endorsement for Obama from Senator Chuck Hagel soon.

Dick Lugar endorsed him.

Findog
10-19-2008, 02:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh_c5bbvmqc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh_c5bbvmqc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Undecideds with a mild conservative bent. McCain was probably counting on those. They were really his only hope, if he got them all.

As I stated earlier, I don't believe anyone was waiting around with baited breath to decide who to vote for based on who Colin Powell endorsed.

The undecided are basically independent thinkers, so they aren't going to base their decision on who comes along and endorses one of the candidates (especially if no new arguments come with the endorsement), more so they are looking for clarification on where the candidates stand on the issues; to wit: Obama being exposed by Joe the plumber as a being a socialist.

Findog
10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
As I stated earlier, I don't believe anyone was waiting around with baited breath to decide who to vote for based on who Colin Powell endorsed.

The undecided are basically independent thinkers, so they aren't going to base their decision on who comes along and endorses one of the candidates (especially if no new arguments come with the endorsement), more so they are looking for clarification on where the candidates stand on the issues; to wit: Obama being exposed by Joe the plumber as a being a socialist.

??????? So progressive taxation is socialism? Joe the Plumber carries more weight with voters than Colin Powell?

whottt
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM

I think he already has...

Politics as usual for Obama and Co. And that's how the moderates are going to view it...

Ya'll be sure to keep throwing Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin under the bus while racking up endorsements from politicians...because nothing says change like that :tu

Shastafarian
10-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Politics as usual for Obama and Co. And that's how the moderates are going to view it...

Ya'll be sure to keep throwing Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin under the bus while racking up endorsements from politicians...because nothing says change like that :tu

So should we interview all the other plumbers in the US who are voting for Obama? And then go to all the moderately retarded "hockey moms" who are voting for Obama? I guess that's a possibility.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
??????? So progressive taxation is socialism? Joe the Plumber carries more weight with voters than Colin Powell?

You may label it as progressive taxation, that's your prerogative, but wresting 130 billion a year from the wealthy, and spreading around their earnings to others in the way of increased Government entitlements is a form of socialism, yes indeed.

It has nothing to do with Joe personally, nor is it related to a Powell endorsement, it has everything to do with Obama's reply to a question.

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Here is the Muslim US soldier Powell was referencing.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6048/19khan1901593250at2.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k76/eridees/kareem.jpg

Findog
10-19-2008, 02:46 PM
You may label it as progressive taxation, that's your prerogative, but wresting 130 billion a year from the wealthy, and spreading around their earnings to others in the way of increased Government entitlements is a form of socialism, yes indeed.

How is regressive taxation not socialism? Is that not an example of redistributing wealth? What is the difference between subsidizing emerging technology through DARPA and subsidizing medicare and medicaid?

Tully365
10-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Obama was completely respectful and diplomatic when talking to Joe the Plumber... which actually highlights the "change" that he so often talks about. The fact that some overzealous people on both sides have decided (as usual) to blow this simple interaction way out of proportion and start attributing all sorts of qualities to Joe has nothing to do with Obama. Obama's very civil and direct answer to Joe's question showed the qualities of his temperament and personality that so many voters find appealing.

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Scientific data collected regarding where the undecided vote will end up;

Google search in quotes

"Undecided voters for Obama" 9 results

"Undecided voters for McCain" 8 results

Within the margin of error, therefore still too close to call.

PixelPusher
10-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Scientific data collected regarding where the undecided vote will end up;

Google search in quotes

"Undecided voters for Obama" 9 results

"Undecided voters for McCain" 8 results

Within the margin of error, therefore still too close to call.

Google hits are not polling data. Massive fail.

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 03:04 PM
And the backlash has begun....

Rush Limbaugh to Politico on Powell's Endorsement

"Rush Limbaugh suggested Powell's move was very much related to Obama's status as the first African-American with a chance to become president."

"'Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race,' Limbaugh wrote in an email. 'OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with.'"

"'I was also unaware of his dislike for John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy and Antonin Scalia. I guess he also regrets Reagan and Bush making HIM a 4-star and Secretary of State AND appointing his son to head the FCC. Yes, let's hear it for transformational figures.'"

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
How can an undecided voter be for a candidate?

Lamebot.

Nbadan
10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Powell's Obama endorsement 'devastating,' analysts say
By Margaret Talev, William Douglas and Nancy A. Youssef | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Colin Powell, a retired general who'd often been mentioned as a Republican presidential candidate himself, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president Sunday during the taping of NBC's "Meet the Press" television program.

Political analysts said Powell's endorsement, coupled with a blistering critique of the campaign of Republican Sen. John McCain, especially of the selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate, was a serious blow to McCain's candidacy, particularly in swing states with large numbers of undecided voters.

"It was a devastating critique. He gave a convincing national endorsement. That's what made it so damaging," said Larry J. Sabato, the director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics. "This is a more important endorsement than Oprah's."

Susan MacManus, a political science professor at the University of South Florida in Tampa, said that Powell appeals to independents who are socially liberal, fiscally conservative and moderate on defense issues. Because they shun party labels, they are more swayed by personality, and Powell is a respected national figure. Independents make as much as 9 percent of voters in swing states.

The timing of the endorsement is key as well. In some swing states, voting has already begun. And in Florida, early voting begins Monday. Obama will be campaigning in Tampa.

"That is why this is a prized endorsement," McManus said. "I can't think of a more important endorsement at this point in the campaign."

G. Terry Madonna, director of the Center for Politics and Public Affairs at Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania, echoed this comments.

"This is a huge endorsement, maybe the most significant endorsement he's got," Madonna said. ""For undecided voters who are looking at their concerns about national security and defense, this is a plus."

McClatchydc (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/54418.html)

jochhejaam
10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Google hits are not polling data. Massive fail.

How can an undecided voter be for a candidate?

Lamebot.

Not being able to differentiate between obvious humor and reality.

Priceless.

ChumpDumper
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Priceless.What humor?

PixelPusher
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Priceless.

Hardly obvious given your history of cherry-picking poll results that suit you.

cool hand
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
How is regressive taxation not socialism? Is that not an example of redistributing wealth? What is the difference between subsidizing emerging technology through DARPA and subsidizing medicare and medicaid?

How is giving 700 billion to buy into insurance co. and banks not socialism? How is giving billions of dollars to foriegn countires who are not tax payers not socialism.??

come on.....your arguemment is weak and you know it....prepare for your party(the fascist party) to be thrown out of office with a thud.

Findog
10-19-2008, 03:52 PM
How is giving 700 billion to buy into insurance co. and banks not socialism? How is giving billions of dollars to foriegn countires who are not tax payers not socialism.??

come on.....your arguemment is weak and you know it....prepare for your party(the fascist party) to be thrown out of office with a thud.

I don't have a party. Which party is about to lose the White House? It's not the candidate that I'm supporting.

And I didn't say the bank bailout wasn't socialism. It's just weak to call progressive taxation socialism. Do you agree that progressive taxation is socialism? Learn to read. You don't even know what my argument is. Are you sure you're not replying to somebody else?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-19-2008, 04:36 PM
So we've gone from 'Powell lied, people died' to this seals the deal for Obama?

You libs are funny.

ducks
10-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Did People Not Die In The Twin Towers?

Shastafarian
10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Did People Not Die In The Twin Towers?

You sir, are brilliant.

Findog
10-19-2008, 04:38 PM

You libs are funny.

Typical conservative tard. I don't like Powell, but how can you not see that this helps Obama with moderate independents? Can you read? Are you literate? Do you have an IQ above room temperature?

Findog
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Socialism is an economic system where the government owns the means of production. It has nothing to do with redistribution of wealth through taxes. All so-called capitalist (private ownership of means of production) countries include some socialism and some redistribution, every single one. The only question is what is the right mix. Just throwing around the S word is meaningless soundbite politics.

TheMadHatter
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I'll never forgive Powell for the Iraq War, but I do acknowledge he has tremendous sway with military communities and moderate Republicans. This endorsement may not sway many independents, but it might harden support from those who were reluctantly voting for Obama.

BRHornet45
10-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Powell is just trying to get some of his street cred back

Tully365
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Powell is just trying to get some of his street cred back

Or-- the more likely reason-- he truly thinks Obama would make a better president.

JohnnyMarzetti
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM

You libs are funny.

It is "Bush lied, people died" you idiot. You cons are so full of crap.

BRHornet45
10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Or-- the more likely reason-- he truly thinks Obama would make a better president.

congrats on your 1,000th post son ... but nope. Powell is simply just trying to get back in good with the brothas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical conservative tard. I don't like Powell, but how can you not see that this helps Obama with moderate independents? Can you read? Are you literate? Do you have an IQ above room temperature?

What a rational, well thought out response.... IQ attacks. Did you already use up the race card for the day or what?

I can't fathom how anyone at this point hasn't figured out who they're going to vote for. Anyone who hasn't decided who they are going to vote for at this point is an attention whore or a bandwagoner.

florige
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
What a rational, well thought out response.... IQ attacks. Did you already use up the race card for the day or what?

I can't fathom how anyone at this point hasn't figured out who they're going to vote for. Anyone who hasn't decided who they are going to vote for at this point is an attention whore or a bandwagoner.

100% in agreement. I remember the news showing this one douche in Ohio with a sign around his neck that read "Independent Undecided Voter".....:rolleyes
Probably was the highlight of that asshole's year.

BRHornet45
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Did you see your boy Farrakhan's speech today?

no son I didn't, but I did see the one where he declared Obama as the "Black Messiah"

George Gervin's Afro
10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
congrats on your 1,000th post son ... but nope. Powell is simply just trying to get back in good with the brothas.

Why?

I can't wait for your explanation. son

JoeChalupa
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
So is Sarah just trying to get in good with the sisters?

Tully365
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Obviously Powell sold out his country because he wanted to support the Black guy.

a4CaggJflak

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Why?

I can't wait for your explanation. son

I like gtown's "I'm a racist acting like a Black guy" shtick. It's better than his usual gtown "I'm a closet homosexual" routine.

Tully365
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
:lol rigth, having a key memer of the Bush Admin endorse Obama is going to totally legitimize 4 more years of W talking point...

Now all you need is the Rummy and Cheney endorsements and you'll have this locked up :tu

Yes, but a key member who left the administration because of disagreements with people like Cheney and Rummy. Big difference.

boutons_
10-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Powell was basically forced out by dickhead and rummy and neo-cons.

Notice how the same group chose a totally incompetent and ineffective replacement for Powell.

JoeChalupa
10-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Powell still has more respect than Rumney or Cheney ever will.

Findog
10-20-2008, 07:06 AM

Your last post was snide and disingenuous. If you don't want to be called out for being a fucktard, don't post like one. It's that simple.

boutons_
10-20-2008, 07:24 AM
HUSSEIN endorsed by Powell, while McSicko counters with an endorsement by ......

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/44352/thumbs/s-BARBERI-large.jpg

"The American people need a strong leader who has the experience and the judgment to be the next President of the United States, and that man is John McCain." -- Katie Barberi

"As Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama makes headlines worldwide, John McCain counters with a nod of his own an hour later, blasted out to reporters"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/19/mccain-counters-powell-en_n_135954.html

:lol

It has been noted that pitbull bitch's rallies have had audiences that are predominantly male, iow, McNasty playing pitbull bitch as the soft-porn card. :lol

DarrinS
10-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Powell is the final nail in the McCain campaign coffin.

One can only wonder if Powell abandoned the party that he felt abandoned and betrayed him.

DarrinS
10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Powell was basically forced out by dickhead and rummy and neo-cons.

Notice how the same group chose a totally incompetent and ineffective replacement for Powell.

And who would that be?

boutons_
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
"he felt"

Felt ?????

Powell KNOWS he was fucked over by Tenet/Rummy/dickhead/neo-c*nts and sent up to the UN with bullshit about "mobile weapons labs" to obtain bogus authorization to invade and occupy Iraq.

DarrinS
10-20-2008, 08:13 AM
"he felt"

Felt ?????

Powell KNOWS he was fucked over by Tenet/Rummy/dickhead/neo-c*nts and sent up to the UN with bullshit about "mobile weapons labs" to obtain bogus authorization to invade and occupy Iraq.

You really have a lot of pent up anger and hostility. You should try to get laid more often.

MannyIsGod
10-20-2008, 08:36 AM
That picture of the mother on her son's grave is rather powerful and the story he told of it was great.

I think he delivered the endorsement in a great manner.

boutons_
10-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Darrin, my hostility to Repugs and conservatives is NOT "pent up". eg, GFY :lol

Ignignokt
10-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I like gtown's "I'm a racist acting like a Black guy" shtick. It's better than his usual gtown "I'm a closet homosexual" routine.

What??

This is news..:lol

Next time you and Oh gee! have another slumber party with all the pillow fighting and haegan daezen' you could come up with better punchlines...to counter what.. i don't know, i hardly post here.

Ignignokt
10-20-2008, 09:15 AM
"he felt"

Felt ?????

A national security advisor who had top positions in the Reagan, and Bush 1 administration was decieved by W???? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Ignignokt
10-20-2008, 09:17 AM
And who would that be?

Your last post was snide and disingenuous. If you don't want to be called out for being a fucktard, don't post like one. It's that simple.

WOw, obama nuthuggers are feeling a little oozie. Must be the polls tightening up.

Mr. Peabody
10-20-2008, 09:17 AM
What??

This is news..:lol

Next time you and Oh gee! have another slumber party with all the pillow fighting and haegan daezen' you could come up with better punchlines...to counter what.. i don't know, i hardly post here.

Nice.

gtown, either you are posting here as BRHornet or someone's is stealing your former persona.

Ignignokt
10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Nice.

gtown, either you are posting here as BRHornet or someone's is stealing your former persona.

I don't recall me ever posting as a hornets fan posting half nudies.

Findog
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Powell is the final nail in the McCain campaign coffin.

One can only wonder if Powell abandoned the party that he felt abandoned and betrayed him.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2109539/posts

* I’m not surprised that Powell has endorsed a Chicago street thug over a real American hero either. “How ‘bout some ‘blow’ General? Then we’ll go help ACORN register some more ‘voters’.”
* This is why you don’t let traitors in your midst. They are capable of doing far more harm than good.
* Clown Powell showed us his true colors with his endorsement of this communist weasel. He just spit in the face of the military he supposedly cares about.
* It’s all about Powell’s racism and everyone knows it
* Well, there goes the Muslim vote!
* Possibly less about Colin’s leanings than his wife’s. He’s always struck me as someone without bearing.
* Oh please….he’s black and he is endorsing one of his brothers…just too obvious. It’s not hard for the everyday American to understand.
* Planet of the APes mentality..”Monkey supports monkey”..
* Before this election, I treated blacks as individuals. I was wrong. They are a clan.
* Is it ok still to say “white sheet?”
* The McCain campaign should take Powell’s $2,300 campaign contribution and throw it out on a busy street. Watch the hounds jump all over the bills and take that “welfare money”.
* Look, it’s Powell Diddy!
* I just saw the video. Somebody should toll Powell that yes, it IS a problem if a Moslem becomes President. The Constitution is not a suicide pact!
* “blacks are the most racist group of people in the USA.” And the most ungrateful.
* I wrote this on Malkiin’s site: The Presidential Tyranny of Obama, these coming years, will hit all hard, and tragically. None will be spared, none will thrive. But of those hurt the most, it will be urban blacks (and hispanics to an extent). Among them there is no real sense of community, they will fight each other most viciously, the murder rate — already high — will skyrocket as groups fight for dominance. That is speculation on my part — and not an outcome I wish! I pray to G-d we will elect McCain.
* As a white blues guitarist here in NY City I too have seen reversed racism.

Gee, I can't imagine why Powell would want to distance himself from such keen minds.

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I wrote this on Malkiin’s site: The Presidential Tyranny of Obama, these coming years, will hit all hard, and tragically. None will be spared, none will thrive. But of those hurt the most, it will be urban blacks (and hispanics to an extent). Among them there is no real sense of community, they will fight each other most viciously, the murder rate — already high — will skyrocket as groups fight for dominance.

That is speculation on my part.

Wild Cobra posts on Malkin's site?

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Nice.

ha ha:lol

boutons_
10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/benedict-powell.jpg

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/20/powell-arnold/

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Powell can go fuck himself. He's lost my respect. I now wonder if he engineered the releasse of Valarie Plames name to makw president Bush look bad. Afterall, it was his #1 that did it!

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I now wonder if he engineered the releasse of Valarie Plames name to makw president Bush look bad.

:lol:lol thanks, wild cobra. that made my day. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm sure Powell is devastated by your words, WC.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 12:50 PM
:lol:lol thanks, wild cobra. that made my day. :lolI know -- like anyone had to do anything to make Bush look bad.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
:lol:lol thanks, wild cobra. that made my day. :lol
That's OK, I have to return the favor at least once for every dozen times or more your idiotic statements make me lose it. Sometimes, I have a hard time recovering from the utter stupididty I see you and others post.

Now on the serious side. What do you think happened?

Armitage was Powells deputy and was the leak of Plames name in relationship to the Niger travels. Did he do it at Powell's request maybe? President Bush said those responsible would no longer be in his administration, and both were replaced!

Again, what do you think happened?

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I know -- like anyone had to do anything to make Bush look bad.
Exactly. He didn't need to, so why did he?

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm sure Powell is devastated by your words, WC.

Well, I hope General Powell and Senator Govornment make a nice couple.

clambake
10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Exactly. He didn't need to, so why did he?

i think WC just heard a scoop rumor from WC. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Exactly. He didn't need to, so why did he?He didn't know her covert status, so he thought leaking the information was fine.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I hope General Powell and Senator Govornment make a nice couple.It will never be as good a match as you and abject bitterness.

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Again, what do you think happened?

he was kindly asked to leave because he admitted that our wmd intelligence was faulty at best

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Did he do it at Powell's request maybe?

do you ever have any ideas that aren't pure conjecture?

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
do you ever have any ideas that aren't pure conjecture?

All the time. I'm just doing what the leftist idiots here do. Lay something on the man because I don't like him. People do it to president Bush all the time. Pure conjecture, with no good facts.

Wow, funny how it is so factual when you say something bad about president Bush, but conjecture when I say something bad about Powell?

Double-standard maybe?

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
All the time. I'm just doing what the leftist idiots here do. Lay something on the man because I don't like him. People do it to president Bush all the time. Pure conjecture, with no good facts.

Wow, funny how it is so factual when you say something bad about president Bush, but conjecture when I say something bad about Powell?

Double-standard maybe?

so you admit that what you suggested about powell is pure conjecture on your part. pwnt.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Again, what do you think happened?Armitage got a memo in the State Department that named Plame but didn't state her covert status. He then dropped her name to Novak as offhand gossip and Novak ran with it. As soon as Armitage found out about Plame's status he notified State's lawyers and cooperated fully with the investigation, which concluded that he indeed did not know her status at the time she released his name and therefore could not be brought up on any charge.

Powell left of his own accord, and there was no way Armitage was going to stay without him.

That's what happened.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Armitage got a memo in the State Department that named Plame but didn't state her covert status. He then dropped her name to Novak as offhand gossip and Novak ran with it. As soon as Armitage found out about Plame's status he notified State's lawyers and cooperated fully with the investigation, which concluded that he indeed did not know her status at the time she released his name and therefore could not be brought up on any charge.

Powell left of his own accord, and there was no way Armitage was going to stay without him.

That's what happened.
OK, you recited the official story. Do you believe it? What if Powell was part of it? What if he resigned before getting a pink slip? I'm sure he would be allowed to.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
OK, you recited the official story. Do you believe it? What if Powell was part of it? What if he resigned before getting a pink slip? I'm sure he would be allowed to.Yeah, I believe it. Armitage is a big gossip. Fitzgerald would have found out anything else.

You should change your screen name to Wild Conjecture. Or Nbacobra.

You make up way too much shit to be taken seriously.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
so you admit that what you suggested about powell is pure conjecture on your part. pwnt.

You're the owned one. Did I ever say otherwise? LOL... You're a fool.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I believe it. Armitage is a big gossip. Fitzgerald would have found out anything else.

You should change your screen name to Wild Conjecture. Or Nbacobra.

You make up way too much shit to be taken seriously.
God, I own you too.

Did I ever say it was fact?

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
You're the owned one.

good comeback :tu

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 01:25 PM
God, I own you too.

Did I ever say it was fact?My God, man!

Ok, there is conjecture around here that you eat shit and molest farm animals.

Sure, your "official story" is that you don't, but what do we really believe?

The answer is clear: you eat shit and molest farm animals.

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Obama can have Powell. Heidi Montag of The Hills fame has endorsed McCain.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
My God, man!

Ok, there is conjecture around here that you eat shit and molest farm animals.

Sure, your "official story" is that you don't, but what do we really believe?

The answer is clear: you eat shit and molest farm animals.
LOL

Yep, I own you.

Now I have your shit coming out your mouth... Wrong end fool!

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Ooops, I think you broke Wild Cobra.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
It's too easy these days, really.

xrayzebra
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Wild Cobra;2836798]Well, I hope General Powell and Senator Govornment make a nice couple.[/QUOTE

I guess Powell and his son can find a middle ground. Powell's son
endorsed McCain. Not that it matters.

Powell isn't what you would call a real anything. But no doubt in my
mind why he supported Obama.

clambake
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Wild Cobra;2836798]Well, I hope General Powell and Senator Govornment make a nice couple.[/QUOTE

I guess Powell and his son can find a middle ground. Powell's son
endorsed McCain. Not that it matters.

Powell isn't what you would call a real anything. But no doubt in my
mind why he supported Obama.

rush overdose?

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Powell isn't what you would call a real anything.:lmao

LakeShow
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
He only supports Obama because he's black.

YvO1xELHp3k&feature=user

ploto
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Colin Powell's endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama was as much a rejection of the Republican Party and Sen. John McCain's campaign as an embrace of the Democratic presidential nominee, political analysts said Monday.

Syndicated columnist David Sirota said Monday that the Powell endorsement was a troubling sign for McCain as his campaign enters its final weeks.

"The repudiation of John McCain by such a high-profile Republican certainly hurts John McCain," he said.

David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst who has advised the last four presidents, said the Powell endorsement may give voice to "disillusioned" moderate Republicans disappointed by the negativity of the McCain campaign.

"They've been muttering about [it], but they were afraid to give voice to, and he came out and said it, in a way," Gergen said.

Powell's endorsement may also sway some voters who were hesitant to vote for Obama because they felt he was not ready to be the nation's commander in chief, said Bill Schneider, a CNN senior political analyst.

"It was extremely reassuring for this experienced military leader, a general, someone who is chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was secretary of state, to endorse Barack Obama and say, 'His world experience, his commitment and knowledge of national security are fine. You can vote for him without those kinds of reservations,' " Schneider said.

And CNN contributor Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist, said "Colin Powell ... is a warm glass of milk and a cookie for those voters who have a hard time going to sleep at night."

On Monday, Obama said Powell would advise him if he becomes president.

"He's already served in that function, even before he endorsed me," Obama told NBC. "Whether he wants to take a formal role, whether there's something that's a good fit for him, I think is something that he and I would have to discuss."

Powell, a former secretary of state for President Bush as well as a former chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said Sunday he decided, in part, to back Obama because he was troubled by the rightward direction the Republican party had taken in recent years.

Powell told NBC's Tom Brokaw that he was troubled by the McCain campaign's attempts to associate Obama with former '60s radical William Ayers and some within the Republican Party -- but not McCain -- were making the assertion that Obama is "closet" Muslim.

"On the Republican side, over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower," said Powell.

In contrast, Obama's "inclusive" approach that crosses "ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines" is what the nation needs right now, he said.

Powell said he made his choice to back Obama after watching both presidential candidates' reactions to the financial crisis that has gripped credit markets in recent weeks.

Calling the crisis a "final exam," Powell said he found McCain "a little unsure as how to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem."

"That concerned me," Powell added.

After Powell's announcement, McCain told FOX News he considered Powell and himself "longtime friends" and that he respected him, but that the endorsement of his rival did not come as a surprise.

"I'm also very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state: Secretaries [Henry] Kissinger, [James] Baker, [Lawrence] Eagleburger and [Alexander] Haig," he said. "And I'm proud to have the endorsement of well over 200 retired Army generals and admirals."

Tara Wall, the deputy editorial editor of the Washington Times, said that moderate and conservative Republicans have been skirmishing throughout this election year, and that the Powell endorsement had brought that fight into the open.

While it energized conservatives, McCain's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate may have alienated moderate Republicans like Powell, Wall said.

Powell said he did not feel Palin was ready to be president and that factored into his decision to endorse Obama.

"[McCain] took the calculated risk of putting Palin on the ticket to pacify the conservatives, and it did re-energize the base. And for that reason, you're going to have some of those moderates within the party feel a little disenfranchised, and I think that was the case for Colin Powell," Wall said. "So it is significant. I think it does send a message to Republicans."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/20/powell.endorsement/index.html

boutons_
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
10 questions that should have been asked of powell.....

Since Tom Brokaw was tongue-tied on Meet The Press on Sunday and Andrea Mitchell was unable to think clearly about a man she covered for 4 years, I thought I should suggest some questions for any other reporters who get a chance to interview former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

1. First and foremost, if you are so concerned about the direction of
your so -alled party, why didn't you get involved or even speak out during the Republican primary?

2. Why did you wait for the last 16 days of the GENERAL ELECTION to speak out if you were truly troubled about "your party's direction"?

3. As the man who presented the facts to the UN Security Council on the U.S. intelligence in Iraq, does your endorsement of Obama mean that you agree with Obama that it was the biggest mistake we ever made by going into Iraq?

4. And if you don't agree with Obama on Iraq then how do you square endorsing a man that thinks you are the leader of the stupidist foreign policy blunder the U.S. has ever made?

5. Does your desire "for a fresh set of eyes" leading America mean that you will commit to not taking a job in the next administration?

6. While we appreciate your economic assessment that McCain doesn't seem to know how to respond to the economic crisis facing America, should we take financial advice from a Secretary of State that was billions of dollars over budget on his spending in Iraq and Afghanistan?

7. And while we are at it, did you or did you not tell the president we should liberate Iraq?

8. Since Obama has made an issue of the sleazy tactics used to out former CIA agent Valerie Plame, did you tell him before you endorsed him that it was your long term deputy that was the leak?

9. Obama has said that he would sit down with Ahmadinejad without conditions and you have said that it is foolish to do so, is Obama foolish or have you changed your mind?

10. You authored, recommended and still advocate for the military's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. Does your endorsement of Obama (who doesn't agree with it) mean that Obama has agreed to break his promise to change the policy?

Richard Grenell spent 8 years working at the department of state (4 of which were under Powell).

==========

Damn, always somebody around with difficult questions. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM
1p2RXWvy4Vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2RXWvy4Vs
AJEIAuUQDAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJEIAuUQDAc
Zwupu0drRrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwupu0drRrg
TGOq0qSJowY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOq0qSJowY
dqAq5Tz4RUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqAq5Tz4RUI
zTmKlcwvtqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTmKlcwvtqw
aFeyo54uwYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeyo54uwYw
XFsZdK5wWc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFsZdK5wWc0

gameFACE
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Good endorsement but it really goes both ways so Republicans shouldn't feel so bad. Obama gets Powell and McCain gets..................................Joe Lieberman.......

ChumpDumper
10-20-2008, 11:34 PM
What's the point with all the YouTubes?

T Park
10-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Good endorsement but it really goes both ways so Republicans shouldn't feel so bad. Obama gets Powell and McCain gets..................................Joe Lieberman.......

Both Liberman and Powell should be considered independents honestly they are not straight party line on either side.

I'm surprised Barack would accept due to his staunch opposition to the war, and Colin was pretty much the main seller in going to Iraq in the first place.

Nbadan
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/RogerR/2008/RogerR20081021_low.jpg

JoeChalupa
10-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Both Liberman and Powell should be considered independents honestly they are not straight party line on either side.

I'm surprised Barack would accept due to his staunch opposition to the war, and Colin was pretty much the main seller in going to Iraq in the first place.

Bush & Cheney were the main architects of the Iraq war.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Collin Powell was basically the only moderate voice regarding Iraq in that administration - he was far from the voice of war.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
You guys are acting like he was The Decider.

Powell was one of the few who actually gave Bush a realistic opinion of the consequences of an invasion, but Bush never asked him whether he thought the US should invade.

Rumsfeld pretty much fucked up every step of the way in Iraq, and Bush was the idiot who put him in more or less compete charge of the whole thing.

boutons_
10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Nobody forced Powell to go the UN and lie about mobile weapons labs.

I think his own staff were extremely doubtful about the fairy tales from NSA/CIA, but Powell went to NY and repeated the fairy tales anyway.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
colin powell is about as useful as Bush 43. he's a man that is bitter over what he could've/should've handled better. and i read that obamessiah will welcome this man as an advisor.

JoeChalupa
10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd much rather have Powell as an advisor than Bush or Cheney.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd much rather have Powell as an advisor than Bush or Cheney.
must
go...
and.....
spread.....
the......
obama....
gospel.....
must......
refuel.........
and.......
get......
more........