PDA

View Full Version : Must-read graphic novels

Spurminator
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
So I'm 29 years old and I just read my first comic book/graphic novel a couple of months ago (The Watchmen). On recommendation from Amazon, I also read The Dark Knight Returns.

After liking both of these quite a bit, I read The Death of Superman and The Return of Superman. Not as big a fan of those (and I was pretty unclear on some of the backstory) but I still enjoyed reading them because I grew up a huge fan of the Superman movies.

So what should be next? What are some essential adult comic/graphic novels?

leemajors
10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Killing Joke?

Cry Havoc
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
So I'm 29 years old and I just read my first comic book/graphic novel a couple of months ago (The Watchmen). On recommendation from Amazon, I also read The Dark Knight Returns.

After liking both of these quite a bit, I read The Death of Superman and The Return of Superman. Not as big a fan of those (and I was pretty unclear on some of the backstory) but I still enjoyed reading them because I grew up a huge fan of the Superman movies.

So what should be next? What are some essential adult comic/graphic novels?

First and foremost: The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman.

Mister Sinister
10-15-2008, 09:54 PM
DC/Vertigo
The Killing Joke
Arkham Aslyum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
A Death In The Family
Watchmen
V For Vendetta
Hellblazer
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Infinite Crisis
Kingdom Come

Marvel
Age Of Apocalypse
Onslaught
Civil War
Fallen Son: The Death Of Captain America
Infinity Gauntlet
X-Men: House of M/Decimation
Avengers Disassembled
Acts of Vengeance

Trainwreck2100
10-16-2008, 01:29 AM
wanted

Also i'd like to add
FUCK THE WATCHMEN.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Planet Hulk

Avitus1
10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Since you enjoyed Dark Knight Returns, here are a few more good Batman graphic novels

Batman & Dracula: Red Rain
Killing Joke
Dark Knight Strikes Again (though not as good as Returns)
Batman: Year One

Outside of Batman I'd definitely check out Wanted. Watchmen, Age of Apocalypse, and 30 Days of Night

exstatic
10-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Frank Miller's Ronin. Very ahead of it's time. Same creative team as Dark Knight Returns: Frank, Lynn Varley on colors and Frank Costanza doing the lettering. The Daredevil issues that they did are REALLY hard to come by, but worth checking out if you can find someone who has them.

Mage: The Hero Disocvered by Matt Wagner. Tasty stuff.