PDA

View Full Version : Suns To Start Barnes Over Hill At SF?

Spurs Brazil
10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54889/20081015/suns_to_start_barnes_over_hill_at_sf/

Suns To Start Barnes Over Hill At SF?

Oct 15, 2008 9:08 AM EST
Suns coach Terry Porter could test the idea of starting Matt Barnes at small forward instead of Grant Hill.

Porter wouldn't commit to starting Barnes over Hill against the Hawks on Wednesday.

"He (Barnes) and Grant have some very similar skills, as far as the ability to put the ball on the floor, run pick and rolls, space it," Porter said. "In a lot of ways, they're the same type. Matt's just a young version of Grant maybe."

xtremesteven33
10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
no way this happens....even at this age, Hill is a better all around player than Barnes.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I think they should. They need some savvy off the bench. As of now their bench rotation is a rookie youngster in Dragic, the inconsistent and mentally-limited Barbosa and Diaw and a rookie in Lopez. Barnes is a poor-mans Marion, as he's an undersized, but athletic comboforward who can spot up, rebound and defend adequately, but can't really create his own shot. He obviously won't average 17/18 ppg and 9 rebounds, but his skill set is similar. Hill would add skills to the bench that aren't currently there, plus playing against other bench players for a good part of the game might make Hill more efficient/productive.

I think this would be a very smart move.

Xylus
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I think they should. They need some savvy off the bench. As of now their bench rotation is a rookie youngster in Dragic, the inconsistent and mentally-limited Barbosa and Diaw and a rookie in Lopez. Barnes is a poor-mans Marion, as he's an undersized, but athletic comboforward who can spot up, rebound and defend adequately, but can't really create his own shot. He obviously won't average 17/18 ppg and 9 rebounds, but his skill set is similar. Hill would add skills to the bench that aren't currently there, plus playing against other bench players for a good part of the game might make Hill more efficient/productive.

I think this would be a very smart move.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that Hill is the oldest player on our roster, I believe (or at least 2nd oldest), and will need to keep his minutes low in order to stay fresh for the playoffs. We don't want a repeat of last season.

Playing with Nash will do wonders for Barnes' game, and it can only help to have great veteran leadership in our 2nd unit. This is a pretty solid bench if you ask me:

Dragic
Barbosa
Hill
Diaw
Lopez

I'm all for starting Barnes at SF.

It's crazy, even with Shaq, Amare, and Nash on the team, all the Phoenix media is talking about these days, is Barnes. I think everyone's pretty excited about what he can bring to the team.

Allanon
10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas are in the same boat...they shouldn't be starters.

They're more skilled than their replacement but you gotta save them up or else they're useless at the end of the season.

baseline bum
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Hill would be an awesome 6th or 7th man. No reason to run him into the ground again this year like they did last season (making him worthless in the playoffs).

JamStone
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
It could be a good idea to do it. But as for this comment by Terry Porter...

"He (Barnes) and Grant have some very similar skills, as far as the ability to put the ball on the floor, run pick and rolls, space it," Porter said. "In a lot of ways, they're the same type. Matt's just a young version of Grant maybe."

Ummmm no, Terry. Matt Barnes does not have the handle, decision-making, consistent midrange jumper, defensive positioning, or play-making abilities Grant has even at his age now.

Barnes has youth, athleticism, and quickness on Grant. But, he is not a young version of Grant by any means.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Barnes is a better 3-point shooter, which with Shaq and Amare down low, will be more valuable than Hill's slashing and mid-range. With Nash, Bell and Barnes, I like the 3-point potential of the first unit, and with Hill running the show, I like the second unit infinitely more than if Hill and Barnes switch.

And I certainly agree with JamStone, Porter is overly praising Barnes by comparing him to Hill. Barnes is a hustle-opportunistic player, while Hill is the type of player that rewards the hustle and creates the opportunities for his type. Even at his diminished ability level, Hill is still very capable at leading an offense off the bench. I'm very excited to see such in five minute chunks at a time each quarter.

ploto
10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Grant said last week he is probably coming off the bench and that he played too many minutes last season.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Grant needs between 20-to-24 minutes a night. That's it.

PG: Nash (30), Dragic (10), Barbosa (8)
SG: Bell (30), Barbosa (18)
SF: Barnes (26), Hill (22)
PF: Amare (24), Diaw (24)
C: Shaq (28), Amare (10), Lopez (10)

TOTALS

Amare: 34 minutes
Nash: 30 minutes
Bell: 30 minutes
Shaq: 28 minutes
Barbosa: 26 minutes
Barnes: 26 minutes
Diaw: 24 minutes
Hill: 22 minutes
Dragic: 10 minutes
Lopez: 10 minutes

Any mop up, Tucker/Singletary

Eventually I'd like to see Nash's minutes down to around 28 per, but that assumes Dragic proves capable, or Hill comes off the bench.

T Park
10-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn, the Suns are actually being coached by someone with a brain this year.

That sucks.