PDA

View Full Version : Who's hot, who's not ... a preseason primer on the Trail Blazers

tlongII
10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/whos_hot_whos_not_a_preseason.html

As we head into the final stretch of the Trail Blazers' preseason, here's a look at who is excelling, who is a disappointing and one take on how Greg Oden has looked in his much anticipated rookie season. After four of the team's seven exhibition games, beat writer Jason Quick gets you up to speed on the Blazers as they inch closer to the Oct. 28 season opener at the Lakers.

THE BEST IN SHOW

Brandon Roy.

Just when I think I can't be impressed any more by this kid, he tops himself. Remember, Blazer fan, how you felt on Aug. 14, when Roy underwent arthroscopic knee surgery? Talk about unnecessary stress. The guy has been flat out amazing, from Day One of training camp. His game right now is so smooth, so confident and so pure that it translates into a palpable nastiness. It's almost as if his game now carries this aura of an Assassin. Roy is oozing confidence and I think more and more people are finding out there's a grit and toughness to him.

I mean, this town was downright concerned/depressed when his surgery was announced. There was question whether he would be ready for opening night. Not only is he back and ready, he is better than ever. Decidedly better.

I distinctly remember my first vision of Roy this training camp - the team was scrimmaging for the first time and Roy was guarding Travis Outlaw. As Outlaw drove right across the lane and elevated near the free throw line, Roy outstretched and blocked Outlaw's shot. It was the same type of in-your-jock, totally-in-control defense that produced Roy's game-winning block of Carmelo Anthony last season during The Streak.

But I really became convinced in Kansas City, when I watched Roy play against Atlanta in their third exhibition game. For long stretches, Roy went against Atlanta's Joe Johnson. For some reason, Johnson brings out the best in Roy. Remember last January, when the game was tied 93-93 with 33.3 seconds left? With Roy dogging him the whole way, Johnson handled the ball for 23 seconds of the 24-second shot clock, repeatedly trying to penetrate, jab step and find some sort of opening. He never found one, eventually having to launch a 21-footer that airballed.

"That defensive hold he had on Joe was as beautiful of thing I have seen,'' coach Nate McMillan said after the game. "Just watching it from behind ... it was beautiful to see. Joe couldn't go anywhere.''

Last week, it was apparent Johnson wanted some revenge. He went right at Roy, in what often looked like an attempt to bully/overpower him. But Roy has added some bulk this season - just take a look at his biceps and shoulders - and he was able to constantly hold his ground. One memorable play saw Johnson lower his shoulder into Roy in an attempt to clear space before elevating for a mid-range jumper. Roy absorbed the initial blow, and as Johnson elevated, Roy maintained his position and slapped the ball out of Johnson's hands as he elevated. As the Blazers converted the fast break, Roy proudly stood in place, almost puffing his chest out. It's probably the most bravado/showmanship you will ever see out of Roy, but it's yet another sign of his growing confidence.

Roy also changed that game from an offensive standpoint. The Blazers took control in the third quarter when Roy began to work a two-man game with LaMarcus Aldridge. It was pick-and-roll perfection, and the two stars played brilliantly off each other. In particular, Roy's stop-on-a-dime, cross-over pull back jumper is a thing of beauty. Keep an eye on this - I think it has progressed to the point where it has become his signature move.

While his physical skills seem to be blossoming, Roy's mental outlook has become a powerful thing. As we all know by now, he is extremely mature and level headed, but what's new this season is an understanding of his place. Of the Blazers' emerging Big Three (Roy, Aldridge, Oden), only Roy seems comfortable embracing his emerging stardom. He isn't distasteful or cocky about it, but he is sure he belongs and confident enough to throw his weight around the locker room. I really like his aura right now.

THE SLEEPING GIANT

LaMarcus Aldridge.

Easily the second most impressive player in camp. As always, Aldridge is in great shape. And more so than last season, Aldridge is confident, to the point where it almost seems like he's on a mission to prove he's an elite player.

He was the barometer for which everyone judged themselves early in camp, and he continues to set the example of dedication by staying after every practice to work on his craft. His 15-to-17 foot jumper is money, and he has dabbled inside, although I still think he could go inside more.

Plus, in an unrelated manner, he's joined the club in warming up to the Portland media. He was never rude or abrasive, but he wasn't exactly the easiest guy on the team to saddle up to for a conversation. I think I speak for all of us in the media in saying that. But this year, he's a dream. He's funny, engaging and thoughtful. He says he is making a conscious effort to be better with the media. I don't know why, but I think it will benefit fans, who will find him intelligent, funny and classy.

THE SURPRISE

Nicolas Batum.

After watching him in the Las Vegas Summer League there is no way in the name of Ha Seung Jin I thought this kid would even make a blip on the radar screen this year. In a word, he was raw. Now, it looks like the kid might break the rotation at small forward. He's been that good.

He's one of those guys who has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. He tips passes, he blocks shots, he gets offensive rebounds. On offense, he's extremely unselfish and runs the floor very well. While he is doing all of this, he makes it look easy. Smooth. If there was a "Hello, NBA, I'm here" moment, it was on Sunday when he blocked Utah's Andrei Kirilenko on a drive.

THE GUY WHO MAKES YOU GO HMMMM...

Greg Oden.

There's no question he will be factor, and that he drastically changes and improves the Blazers. But I've got to be honest: I was expecting to be a little more impressed. After hearing the reviews from the likes of Roy, Steve Blake, Channing Frye, Kevin Pritchard, Nate McMillan, Chad Buchanan ... I thought Oden would be crushing the likes of Ronny Turiaf and Mikki Moore like 16-ounce Pabst tall boys. I thought there would be thunderous follow-dunks, blocks ending up in row 8, and elbow-flying rebounds.

But quite honestly, he has looked a little awkward, a lot out of shape and rather nondescript out there. Look, I understand all that stuff about him being out for a year, and that teams are coming at him and that he is still out of shape ... and I understand there is obvious, unmistakable indications that he will at some point dominate. I was just led to believe it would be a little more obvious to see right now.

Clearly, when he gets the ball down low, it's lights out. He certainly knows how to dunk with force and how to clear people out of the way. But his jump hook looks very rough and forced and he is lumbering up the court much more than I thought he would be at this point.

At the beginning of camp, I guessed Oden would average 16 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks a game. Today, I would say 11 points, 9 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. All that being said, I will stick to my prediction: Oden will make the All-Star team this season and be Rookie of the Year.

BIGGEST DEVELOPMENT

Martell Webster's foot surgery.

Expected to be the starting small forward, Webster went out with a stress fracture in his left foot after a solid outing in the preseason opener. He later had a screw inserted and will be out until mid-December.

I have mixed feelings about this. If there was a starter to become injured, I think Martell was the best-case scenario for the Blazers because it opens the door for Rudy Fernandez to play more, if not start. And truthfully, I think for this team to realize it's potential, Fernandez needs to both start and play heavy minutes. He's just too special.

At the same time, I really liked the prospects of what we thought the second-unit would be: Sergio/Bayless at point; Rudy at shooting guard; Travis Outlaw at small forward; Channing Frye at power forward and Joel Przybilla at center.

I fully expect the opening night starting lineup against the Lakers to be Blake, Fernandez, Roy, Aldridge and Oden. I like that lineup.

Still, I was really curious to see what Martell was going to bring this season. I haven't made up my mind yet on how good he is, or can be. I don't think anyone, even Martell, knows. He certainly has incredible upside. I would pay to watch his jump shot. I think he will still have 60 some games to show that, but it definitely won't be the same as if he started from jump.

LIVING UP TO THE HYPE

Rudy Fernandez.
Some people in the media beat up Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard for raving about Rudy Fernandez when he arrived. Funny how their tune has changed now.

The 6-foot-6 guard has been everything Pritchard promised, and more. I'm not going to say he is a fan favorite (Roy has a pretty solid hold there), but Rudy has definitely electrified the Rose Garden with his flashy passes, soaring alley-oops, and fervent overall play. Some turnovers will accompany that flash-and-dash, but that's OK. And I think McMillan understands and accepts that.

Can't help but worry about his frail frame, and how that will hold up over the course of the NBA season.

A NICE RESPONSE

Sergio Rodriguez.

At the end of last season, no player had plummeted more than Sergio Rodriguez. His mind was a mess. His game - what little we saw of it - was all over the place, particularly his shot, which was so flat it was bordering on hideous.

But after a summer in Spain, which included some workouts with shooting coach John Townsend, Rodriguez has been a pleasant development for the Blazers. He is clearly the No. 2 point guard behind Blake. His shot has shown the most noticeable improvement, particularly from the corner. I also like his court presence - he is directing the team with confidence and ease.

SOME DISAPPOINTMENTS

Travis Outlaw. First off, I love Travis. I think everyone who knows me knows he is one of my favorite people on the team. But I was expecting a little more out of him this preseason. A little more assertion, a little more ownership in establishing his place on the team.

Travis wants an elevated role on this team - more shots, more prominence - but he is not going out and snatching that opportunity. McMillan keeps dangling that starting small forward role in front of Outlaw, hoping that motivates him, but I wish Travis didn't need a reason to be motivated. I wish he was like Aldridge or Roy, both of whom came into camp with a mindset of dominating and taking a firm hold as a leader. Travis has the talent to do that. He just hasn't processed the effort needed to become that type of player. I think Travis is content at letting it come to him whenever it comes to him. If this was his third year, I could understand that. But this is his sixth.

I still think he will be an incredibly important piece to this team just because he is such an incredible talent. But I worry how his approach is viewed by McMillan and Pritchard, both of whom will have to make long-term decisions on Outlaw after this season.

Ike Diogu. Just haven't seen much from the former lottery pick. I can't remember who wrote it, but I thought it was the perfect description - he's like Zach Randolph without the jump shot. For me, I will pass on that type of player every time.

Jerryd Bayless. I like the rookie. Love his determination, his scrap, and his dedication. All of that is going to translate well to the NBA during his career. But right now, he looks like a rookie. He dribbles an awful lot, usually because he is not reading the defense correctly or quickly enough. Teammates have told me they are often waiting - hands extended - for him to pass it to them, only to never get it. But the worst part for me about Bayless is it appears he has a little Martell-as-a-rookie syndrome. The common person will recognize that as a know-it-all. I've seen teammates approach him out of frustration during a game, only to have Bayless look the other way as if he already knows and understands what they are saying. Either that or he doesn't feel like he is ever at fault.

But as far as skills, I like what he has. When he is able to square his body to the rim and get his feet set, he is money. But I have yet to see him make a jumper otherwise. I love his defense. He gets right up in the opposing guard. He will not back down, and that will endear him to McMillan. He is also a fearless driver, which will result in a lot of jaw-dropping dunks.

JamStone
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Description makes Greg Oden sound like Gheorge Muresan.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Jerryd Bayless. I like the rookie. Love his determination, his scrap, and his dedication. All of that is going to translate well to the NBA during his career. But right now, he looks like a rookie. He dribbles an awful lot, usually because he is not reading the defense correctly or quickly enough. Teammates have told me they are often waiting - hands extended - for him to pass it to them, only to never get it. But the worst part for me about Bayless is it appears he has a little Martell-as-a-rookie syndrome. The common person will recognize that as a know-it-all. I've seen teammates approach him out of frustration during a game, only to have Bayless look the other way as if he already knows and understands what they are saying. Either that or he doesn't feel like he is ever at fault.

But as far as skills, I like what he has. When he is able to square his body to the rim and get his feet set, he is money. But I have yet to see him make a jumper otherwise. I love his defense. He gets right up in the opposing guard. He will not back down, and that will endear him to McMillan. He is also a fearless driver, which will result in a lot of jaw-dropping dunks.

With Bayless, as far as skills, they'll come. He is smart. He works very hard. He has a good coach.

As far as attitude, it's his main flaw. In high school he was the talent. He answered only to himself. Most times he was enough to win. At college, he was the best player at a university who has sent more players to the NBA since 1990 than any other program. He only did what came natural.

He's now being asked to develop aspects of his game that he's never focused on for players equal to, if not better in talent than him. It's got to be frustrating.

Still, that's no excuse and I hope McMillan gives him hell for turning a deaf ear to his teammates. He's now accountable to others. An understanding attitude towards such will probably take a year or two to develop, but I think Bayless will. He just needs guidance and patience. He's as talented a player as I've seen come through Arizona. Once he figures out that it doesn't all rest on him, he'll be a much better player.

I figure he'll be the starting PG by his fourth year. For the first two I think he'll be very iffy in most facets after spot-up shooting. That third year much will come together and with minutes, he'll prove himself capable. Then in year four his fire will enable him to best any comers for the starting job.

Bayless wins. he wants to win so bad that he has a history of doing too much; playing beyond himself. As soon as he lets go, and his fire is directed to areas where he can thrive, the Blazers will be amazing.

JamStone
10-15-2008, 05:35 PM
At college, he was the best player at a university who has sent more players to the NBA since 1990 than any other program.

Link please?

I would have guessed Kentucky or North Carolina ahead of Arizona. I would also guess Connecticut and Duke would be awfully close as well. Arizona has sent a lot of guards to the NBA, but very few forwards or centers. And, are you counting getting drafted but not actually playing? Like Michael Wright or Miles Simon?

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I should clarify. As of 2005, Arizona had more players drafted since 1990 than any other program in the same time. In 2003 they actually had more players in the NBA than any other program. Then many retired or failed to stick...

JamStone
10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
That include second rounders that didn't actually make regular season rosters?

I would have still guessed Kentucky or North Carolina under those parameters.

I'm genuinely curious.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Yes. The site I worked for had a running tally of UA draftees vs. every other university, and as of 2005, Arizona had the most. That same site no longer employs the writer who conducted the tally, and no longer has the feature, but in the 16 draft from 1990 through 2005, Arizona had more players drafted than anyone, as long as you include players drafted, but never actually making an NBA roster. In those 16 years, Arizona had 24 draftees... many forwards and centers were drafted, like Ed Stokes, AJ Bramlett, Reggie Geary, Michael Wright, but few stuck (Bison Dele, Sean Rooks, Frye).

EDIT: And this includes transfers to Arizona, but not transfers from. It also does not include verbal commits, but failures to attend like Stephen Jackson and Ndudi Ebi.

JamStone
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I realized Arizona has been one of the programs that had quite a few players in the league, but I wouldn't have guessed that. I would have gone UNC then Kentucky over that time period.

SenorSpur
10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Give us back Batum. I'll sue all your asses for grand larceny. :lol :depressed

SpursDynasty
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Greg Oden isn't doing anything this year

Mister Sinister
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh, snap, SD lives.