PDA

View Full Version : No NYE or UFC for Fedor

dallaskd
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Affliction locks him up for good...

MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday learned that Affliction Entertainment has entered into a formal partnership with M-1 Global to promote mixed martial arts events around the globe.

The two entities had already been working together, but had no formal arrangement.

The official partnership includes co-promotion of the M-1 challenge series, an international mixed martial arts tournament that pits fighters from different parts of the globe against each other. The M-1 Challenge’s next stop is scheduled for Oct. 29 in Kansas City, Mo., where Xtreme Couture light heavyweight Mike Whitehead will headline the card.

Financial details of the partnership are not known, but presumably, the companies would share production costs and split revenue from events. The union’s effect on Affliction’s recent partnership with Golden Boy Promotions is unknown.

“We're basically just solidifying our relationship,” Affliction vice president Tom Atencio told MMAWeekly.com of the Russian promotion. “We work well with them. They're one of the few companies we've worked with that if they say they're going to do something, they do it. They've stood behind us, especially with negotiations with the UFC.”

A press conference announcing the partnership will take place Thursday at Trump Towers in New York City.

A likely date of Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. will be the first “joint venture” featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski.

M-1 Global Chief Operating Officer Joost Raimond says a second U.S. Affliction/M-1 Global pay per view would likely take place in April or May of 2009 and would feature Josh Barnett vs. Aleksander Emelianenko.

Raimond feels confident that the junior Emelianenko would be “re-certified” by the California State Athletic Commission.

“There have been medical issues, but the nice thing about medical issues is that they can be resolved,” he said.

According to Raimond, the elder Emelianenko is fully healed from his medical issue, a chip fracture to his right thumb sustained against Tim Sylvia at Affliction’s “Banned” in July.

Finkelstein and Raimond confirmed that Emelianenko would definitely not be fighting on a Japanese New Year’s Eve card. As recently as September, the top-ranked heavyweight told reporters he would honor his informal holiday tradition of fighting in Japan.

"A fight on New Year's Eve in Japan only makes sense if there is a suitable opponent and an organization to put up the event the way it should be,” Raimond said. “And in this case, the various components didn't come together.”

M-1 fighter Gerard Mousasi is currently under consideration for an unnamed New Year’s Eve card in Japan, and is “a very feasible option” to participate on the Anaheim card.

The partnership is bad news for fans that hope to see “The Last Emperor” tussle with Randy Couture in the UFC. The new agreement makes Emelianenko an exclusive client of Affliction and M-1 Global worldwide for the foreseeable future. Previously, Affliction’s deal with M-1 Global was exclusive only to the U.S.

Raimond says his company’s contact with the UFC remains cordial, but the possibility of either organization lending their stars to a neutral platform is bleak.

“The fact of the matter is that a loan-out is something that the UFC would not desire, they would never go for such a deal,” he said. “And secondly, the way we have our program set up for the next years, and our event schedules set up, it's just not feasible to have a Fedor fight within the UFC.”

Strong speculation has indicated that Couture has a clause in his contract to face Emelianenko on the second fight of his three-fight UFC deal, but Raimond and Finkelstein maintain it will not take place in the Octagon.

“We are aware of what the rumors are on how that contract looks,” Raimond said. “If that is true, we will have to work with the UFC to find out how that can take place. But what we can say is that bringing Fedor under contract with the UFC for such a bout, that's something that's not going to happen.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7359&zoneid=2

dbreiden83080
10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Interesting stuff right there. Fedor is the best but guys are going to have to go to him to fight him. If Randy wants him so bad, finish out that 3 fight deal and go fight him on his terms. That is the only way he is going to get him.

dallaskd
10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Interesting stuff right there. Fedor is the best but guys are going to have to go to him to fight him. If Randy wants him so bad, finish out that 3 fight deal and go fight him on his terms. That is the only way he is going to get him.

Randy will be like 46 by then. :lol

dbreiden83080
10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Randy will be like 46 by then. :lol

So what?

He's 45 and fighting, what is another year or so?

djohn14
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
So what?

He's 45 and fighting, what is another year or so?

It means a lot when you get old in MMA. Look what happened to Liddell and Hughes. It didnt happen gradually, it happened on a dime. No doubt Fedor right at the front of the line when it comes to fighters, but he really pisses me off.

dbreiden83080
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
It means a lot when you get old in MMA. Look what happened to Liddell and Hughes. It didnt happen gradually, it happened on a dime. No doubt Fedor right at the front of the line when it comes to fighters, but he really pisses me off.

Well he's gotta look great in those 3 fights obviously. UFC won't let him out of that deal, he knows that. He still wants Fedor he is going to have to ful-fill the deal with the UFC then go after Fedor on other terms. All i'm saying.

Evan
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
As long as Fedor is fighting real fights and not garbage freaks like Choi I don't care...

But this contract is only good until Affliction folds...

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
lame

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Fedor talks about wanting to fight the best but he stays with affliction

dbreiden83080
10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Fedor talks about wanting to fight the best but he stays with affliction

Evan has said that he is very aloof and distant when it comes to MMA. He does not care much what people say or think. He just fights his fights and does what he does.

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:24 PM
He's the one that said he wanted to fight the best

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah if you read his quotes he doesn't seem to follow MMA at all. Very weird.

But to what BlackSwordsMan said...its true. He says he wasn't want to fight the best but he doesn't give a flying eff.

I guarantee his management is ass raping his bank account.

dbreiden83080
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

Yeah if they come to him. He is not going to run to the UFC because Dana White thinks he sucks. HE doesn't care

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:28 PM

I do find it amusing when people say he is humble and yet he always wears this shirt.

http://www.graciemag.com/data/images/news/categories/cat_146/fedor_02.jpg

Dude is tough to figure out.

BlackSwordsMan
Oh well maybe we'll see the third Emelianenko brother fight for UFC

BlackSwordsMan
I do find it amusing when people say he is humble and yet he always wears this shirt.

http://www.graciemag.com/data/images/news/categories/cat_146/fedor_02.jpg

Dude is tough to figure out.

or calls himself the last emperor

Evan
Oh well maybe we'll see the third Emelianenko brother fight for UFC

LHW right?

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
No I don't even think he's a teen yet

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
nvm he was born in 88

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/9088256-post2.html

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:32 PM
nvm he was born in 88

Yeah last pic I saw he looked pretty filled out and you could just tell he was going to be like Aleks.

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/9088256-post2.html

That has passed...he's doing full on hard on Sambo now.

Brother you have to stop using sherdog BTW...that site is puke.

www.mma.tv FTW.

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah when I posted there I always avoided the HW's and only posted in off topic until I got banned twice

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
BTW...so much misinformation comes out of Fedor's camp is bogus I could be totally wrong about his brother but I could have sworn Fedor talked about this at length about 6 months ago.

Evan
10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
yeah when I posted there I always avoided the HW's and only posted in off topic until I got banned twice

what did you do again? posted too much?

F*ck I hate that site so much. Bunch of children who "everyone is overrated" and "why isn't (insert any random "Next PRIDE") in HW's?

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
what did you do again? posted too much?

F*ck I hate that site so much. Bunch of children who "everyone is overrated" and "why isn't (insert any random "Next PRIDE") in HW's?

Yup.

BlackSwordsMan
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
small avatars on this site suck

angelbelow
10-15-2008, 10:53 PM
damn..