PDA

View Full Version : Redskins quietly sign Shaun Alexander to a 1 year deal

Chris
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Admist all the drama thats going on in the NFL the Redskins acquire a former league MVP. Why? Are they saying they have no confidence in Portis? This deal doesn't make any sense to me.

Evan
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Low risk..Clinton will miss a couple games this year most likely so Shaun is useful there and I doubt Shaun is done. I think he has some traction left on those tires.

Smart signing by the Redskins.

dirk4mvp
10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Admist all the drama thats going on with the Cowboys, the Redskins acquire a former league MVP. Why? Are they saying they have no confidence in Portis? This deal doesn't make any sense to me.

Isn't Betts kind of banged up? Could be wrong though. Also I highly doubt the Redskins are doubting the NFL's leading rusher right now.

hitmanyr2k
10-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Admist all the drama thats going on in the NFL the Redskins acquire a former league MVP. Why? Are they saying they have no confidence in Portis? This deal doesn't make any sense to me.

Ledell Betts is hurt and out for a month. Alexander will most likely have a limited short yardage role.

K-State Spur
10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
c'mon fellas, show a little bit of knowledge.

betts hurt his knee last sunday and may miss a few weeks. portis is still the workhorse, but he doesn't get EVERY carry in that offense. 3rd stringer Rock Cartwright is more of a special teams guy than a reliable RB. So Alexander was signed to take the 6 or 7 carries per game that were going to Betts if he's unable to go.

if betts comes back at 100%, alexander likely will be promptly cut again (unless he gives them a reason to keep him while he's there).

if the season ended today, portis would be a strong candidate for the MVP - do you really think that they have 'no confidence' in him?

bresilhac
10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I really don't have the answer as to why Washington brought Alexander on board at this point. I suppose it was for some insurance in case CP were to go down and to just have the additional depth in the backfield. I wouldn't say it was a poor signing though.

samikeyp
10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Its a good move. Low risk. If it works, great, if not, no real harm done.

ducks
10-15-2008, 10:56 PM
I like it if portis was ok with it

Romo
10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I like it if portis was ok with it

http://www.thehoopnews.com/img/lebron-james.jpg

BUMP
10-16-2008, 12:25 AM
i am a Cowboy fan and i have to admit this was actually a smart pickup for the Skins. with Betts banged up they really dont have a backup and everyone needs a backup. when you can sign the NFL's MVP from two years ago for the cheap to fill your spot, then thats a decent deal. he cant be THAT washed up can he?

K-State Spur
10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
this is NOT going to be a joint backfield - at least no more than it was before.

the redskins had a grand total of 2 healthy RBs available for sunday - and one of them has fumbling issues (cartwright).

it's a no-risk situation because they were going to have sign somebody for depth.

Portis is still going to see the ball 20-25 times per game.

Evan
10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I think its a great signing by the Redskins. There is no flaw to it whatsoever.

tlongII
10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Alexander is DONE. The skins gain nothing from this signing.

K-State Spur
10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Alexander is DONE. The skins gain nothing from this signing.

except another body to spell portis for a few carries a game.

repeat - without betts, they don't have a full complement of RBs. they had to sign somebody. and while alexander may have zero left in the tank, every RB out on the street right now is also severely flawed in some manner. at least alexander has some ties to this offense, so he can hit the ground running so to speak.

tlongII
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
If you're looking for somebody to run 2 yards and then fall down, then Alexander is your man!

K-State Spur
10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
as long as there is not a fumble involved, that's pretty much exactly what they're looking for. anything else is gravy.

Thunder Dan
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I feel sorry for him this week if he plays- the Browns are about to open up a can on his ass. I'm thinking 8 carries for -10 yards