PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if THIS will make national news?

101A
10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_ .html

Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded (http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_ .html)

By Andrew M. Seder (http://www.timesleader.com/reporter/Andrew_Seder.html) [email protected]
Staff Writer
SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.
The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Oabama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."
News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.
Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.
“I was baffled,” he said after reading the report in Wednesday’s Times-Tribune.
He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.
Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”
“We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”
Hackett said he did not hear the remark.
Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.
When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”
Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.

DarrinS
10-16-2008, 08:41 AM
<sound of crickets coming from the left>

SnakeBoy
10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
It's a non topic because the left will be too busy attacking Joe the plumber since he dared to ask the chosen one a question.

JoeChalupa
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
That damn liberal media!!! :cuss

JoeChalupa
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
It's a non topic because the left will be too busy attacking Joe the plumber since he dared to ask the chosen one a question.

Hey, he answered the man. Next.

101A
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
That damn liberal media!!! :cuss

It would appear so.

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't even think the affair scandal concerning Foley's replacement made natl. news.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Wasn't the Times-Herald the paper that reported the "Kill him" quote in the first place?

JoeChalupa
10-16-2008, 09:41 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Crocker1.JPG
Leave poor Sarah alone!!!

fyatuk
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Wasn't the Times-Herald the paper that reported the "Kill him" quote in the first place?

This article says it was the Times-Tribune that reported the "Kill Him".

Stupid newspaper names.

101A
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't even think the affair scandal concerning Foley's replacement made natl. news.

Wouldn't want to disrupt an election cycle with a single incident from a congressman in Florida, that if over-reported could actually swing things on a national level....oh, wait.....

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't even think the affair scandal concerning Foley's replacement made natl. news.That's because you didn't look.

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
That's because you didn't look.

Did it? I quit watching TV for information a couple years ago.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
So you confirm you didn't look anywhere.

Sweet.

Anti.Hero
10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
TV is everywhere?

I was basing my assumption on how the Edwards scandal was attempted to be avoided then quickly swept under the rug.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
TV is the only national news?

101A
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
TV is the only national news?

Seeing as though there is a direct parallel between this situation, and the one with Foley almost EXACTLY TWO YEARS AGO - the coverage is laughably different. Foley was the lead fucking story on the national news broadcasts for an entire week!!!! This hasn't gotten a mention on those broadcasts. The only place I've seen it is on Drudge.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
He wasn't gay and soliciting pages online.

It's a fairly run-of-the-mill affair; the only hook is the interesting severance package that I saw in the national news.

Be happy that the Republican should win his seat now.

101A
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
He wasn't gay and soliciting pages online.

It's a fairly run-of-the-mill affair; the only hook is the interesting severance package that I saw in the national news.

Be happy that the Republican should win his seat now.

Considering the campaign he ran, and how he came about winning the seat, I would disagree with it being run-of-the-mill; especially considering the payoffs involved.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Considering the campaign he ran, and how he came about winning the seat, I would disagree with it being run-of-the-mill; especially considering the payoffs involved.As I said, it's the only hook.

I understand your wanting it to be more sensational than it is, but it isn't.

101A
10-16-2008, 10:44 AM
As I said, it's the only hook.

I understand your wanting it to be more sensational than it is, but it isn't.

Not voting for McCain.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2008, 10:45 AM
You still want it to be more sensational; that's what you are bitching about.

101A
10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
You still want it to be more sensational; that's what you are bitching about.

"Wanting" isn't the right word. Frankly, I'm pretty happy with all shards of non-partisanship being removed from the media in this cycle.

George Gervin's Afro
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Seeing as though there is a direct parallel between this situation, and the one with Foley almost EXACTLY TWO YEARS AGO - the coverage is laughably different. Foley was the lead fucking story on the national news broadcasts for an entire week!!!! This hasn't gotten a mention on those broadcasts. The only place I've seen it is on Drudge.

Foley was hitting on teenagers? A direct parrallel to an affair between two consenting adults? ok..:rolleyes

101A
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Foley was hitting on teenagers? A direct parrallel to an affair between two consenting adults? ok..:rolleyes

Same district; sex scandal; hush money. I'm pretty sure the pages were over 18; might be wrong.

RandomGuy
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
If I remember correctly it can clearly be heard in one of the video clips taken at a town hall meeting, and that seems to be the source of the claim.

If the secret service guy, or the people they interviewed were farther away than the microphone, than the person who yelled it, it would stand to reason that they might not have picked out a shouted two words in the middle of a mush.

RandomGuy
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Same district; sex scandal; hush money. I'm pretty sure the pages were over 18; might be wrong.

Some of the ones he sent messages to were minors, but he was only alleged to have sex with pages who had attained the age of majority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley_Scandal

101A
10-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Some of the ones he sent messages to were minors, but he was only alleged to have sex with pages who had attained the age of majority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley_Scandal

Thanks, RG.

RandomGuy
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks, RG.

You're welcome.

101A
10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
If I remember correctly it can clearly be heard in one of the video clips taken at a town hall meeting, and that seems to be the source of the claim.

If the secret service guy, or the people they interviewed were farther away than the microphone, than the person who yelled it, it would stand to reason that they might not have picked out a shouted two words in the middle of a mush.

The way the write-ups about it sounded, however, they made it sound like Palin must have heard it; and were critical of her for not denouncing it on the spot. Oh well, we're on the Joe the Plumber now.

clambake
10-16-2008, 02:01 PM
why does every thread have to turn gay?

(in ray's honor)

Wild Cobra
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Wow...

I get to say this twice today...

Just another liberal lie that you kool-aid drinking lemmings here believe.

How many tims have I mentioned you are a fool unless you verify?

Cry Havoc
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
"Treason" and "Terrorist" are on tape.

http://multimedia.boston.com/pub/tn/15/politics.htm?bctid=1859060243

You guys still want to talk about how clean McCain's campaign is? Yep. He's promoting good vibes all the way. :rolleyes

balli
10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Arlington, Va.: The Secret Service has now labeled the "kill him" report as unfounded. Why isn't The Post giving this report as much coverage as the original false report received?

Dana Milbank:

Glad you asked, because I saw this earlier. This is actually about the incident in Scranton, not the one in Clearwater, Fla, that I wrote about here.

I wasn't at the Scranton event, but I have to say the Secret Service is in dangerous territory here. In cooperation with the Palin campaign, they've started preventing reporters from leaving the press section to interview people in the crowd. This is a serious violation of their duty -- protecting the protectee -- and gets into assisting with the political aspirations of the candidate. It also often makes it impossible for reporters to get into the crowd to question the people who say vulgar things. So they prevent reporters from getting near the people doing the shouting, then claim it's unfounded because the reporters can't get close enough to identify the person.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/16/secret-service-blocking-r_n_135336.html

Cry Havoc
10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Odd how this thread suddenly goes quiet when proof is offered, isn't it?