PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Back In The Swing Of Things

duncan228
10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Duncan back in the swing of things (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/31147864.html)
By Mike Monroe

CLEVELAND — The discussion in the Spurs' locker room at Gund Arena before their preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night focused on football.

As Bruce Bowen, the Spurs' No. 1 Dallas Cowboys fan, weighed in on his favorite NFL team's recent trade for wide receiver Roy Williams, he stumbled trying to remember the names of two of the Cowboys receivers, referring to them only by their numbers, 84 and 19.

“You mean Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin,” said Tim Duncan, whose pro football allegiance is to the Chicago Bears. “Geez, Bruce, you've got to know your team better.”

The Spurs know this: No. 21 is still the most important number on their roster.

In his first extended stint of the preseason, Duncan put up the sort of numbers that have characterized his perennial All-Star and two-time MVP career. In 26 minutes he scored 16 points, on six of 10 shooting, and grabbed 13 rebounds, leading the Spurs to a 91-70 victory.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had decided it was time for Duncan to begin getting into a regular-season rhythm. He had played only 36 minutes through the first three games, sitting one out altogether as Popovich evaluated younger, less-proven players trying to make the team.

Duncan was happy to show his coach his rhythm was back.

“It's about that time to start gearing it up a little bit,” Duncan said. “I know he's going to spread it out a little more and have people play different times, different games, different amounts. He wants to get Kurt (Thomas) back into the game a little bit and start getting him moving, and start getting the guys who are going to play together on the floor together a little bit. It's the time to start doing that.”

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, a former Spurs assistant under Popovich, had his starting center, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, on the court most of the time Duncan played, providing a good test for both players.

“I'd rather play against him than any of their young guys,” Duncan said.

What Popovich saw from Duncan was precisely what he wanted to see: The inside presence that makes him one of the game's best post players, but also a willingness to look for his shots on the perimeter.

“He's looking for his offense and shooting the ball,” Popovich said. “We don't want him to be down on the block all the time. Get out on the court and make some shots. It's easier.”

In the final three games of the preseason, Popovich methodically will extend the playing time of all his veteran players, including Duncan.

“I wanted to get Tim into the third quarter tonight,” he said. “Next week we'll get him into the fourth quarter.”

Entering his 12th season, Duncan has learned to use the preseason for just what it is intended.

“Obviously, I've been through enough preseasons,” he said. “I want to get to the point when it starts counting. At the same time, you want to feel good going into the season, and luckily enough, 82 games gives you enough time to get yourself right. But you want to go into the season feeling like you've been in a game and you know what your body feels like.”

Duncan was joined in the starting lineup by veteran forward-center Kurt Thomas, playing for the first time this preseason after struggling with a strained left hamstring.

“It felt real good to be out there, running up and down with my teammates,” Thomas said. “I'm just trying to shake the rust off and get back in my own rhythm.”

m33p0
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
“Geez, Bruce, you've got to know your team better.”:lol

timvp
10-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Duncan looks pretty damn good during preseason play. Hopefully he stays healthy and is ready to come out of the gates playing well. The Spurs can't afford one of those years where Duncan doesn't really get into a rhythm until December.

duncan228
10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
This was one game I wish I had been able to watch. I'm glad he looks and feels good, it's a great way to start the season. I think he will start, and stay, strong. With Manu out for a while it's important they stay in the hunt from the start. I believe in Duncan to keep the team on that track.

And, since the article didn't bother to include a pic, I will. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/10-16-08ps3.jpg

Manufan909
10-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Duncan calling Bowen out.:downspin:

polandprzem
10-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Bowen got owned or Duncowned to be precise.

Good to hear Tim feels good. The only thing I worry is that in all his games in a preseason he had zero block shots. If you can consider it a worry?

wildchild
10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Duncan said. “I know he's going to spread it out a little more and have people play different times, different games, different amounts. He wants to get Kurt (Thomas) back into the game a little bit and start getting him moving, and start getting the guys who are going to play together on the floor together a little bit. It's the time to start doing that.”

Monroe's so limited. He didn't learn to read between the lines. I miss Ludden.

mrspurs
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Nevermind TD's stats. Look at AT's stats, thats what will help the spurs. I know its still preseason, but if AT can bring in numbers like he did last night, (and so far he basically has), then Timmy and Tony turn into the monsters they used to be. Teams leave Fab and Kurt alone and double Timmy. Thats why he missed alot of shots during the PO's. If you have to guard AT then Timmy will be left one on one. If you take one of the bigs out of the paint then TP can make those easy layups teams stopped him from doing last season for the first time ever. Throw in Ian with a few blocks here and there, and the spurs will be fine. Other then Hill, the only player who caught my eye was AT. And AT was the first player the spurs grabbed before anyone else could. Ive said it before get Timmy some real help and the spurs are a better team. Fab and Kurt isnt real help. At most they are bench players on most other NBA teams. Not only that get Timmy some real help and watch how well Fab and Kurt play without all the pressure. But its just preseason.

HarlemHeat37
10-17-2008, 11:54 AM
by AT, do you mean Tolliver? I hope not..

WildcardManu
10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Fab and Kurt isnt real help. .

Kurt is an improvement in defensive help for Duncan. On the offensive side Duncan takes over.

wildbill2u
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I think TD will surprise us in the early going since Manu will be out. He will step up and not put it on cruise control in the early games.

duncan228
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I think TD will surprise us in the early going since Manu will be out. He will step up and not put it on cruise control in the early games.

I can't wait. I've got the "Duncan is awesome" thread ready to bump. :)

Solid D
10-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Duncan looks pretty damn good during preseason play. Hopefully he stays healthy and is ready to come out of the gates playing well. The Spurs can't afford one of those years where Duncan doesn't really get into a rhythm until December.

It often takes "Bigs" a bit longer to get going at the start of the year, but I think Tim maybe less so. It depends on his health. It seems like he kept pretty sharp and worked hard during the summer.

HarlemHeat37
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Tim definitely can't be "regular season Tim" this year..we're gonna need him to put up an ALMOST playoff effort until Manu comes back..

xtremesteven33
10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Look for Duncan to shoot more shots until Manu comes back.

2003 Tim Duncan comes back!!!

duncan228
10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
It often takes "Bigs" a bit longer to get going at the start of the year, but I think Tim maybe less so. It depends on his health. It seems like he kept pretty sharp and worked hard during the summer.

I think he'll be strong out of the gate. From everything I've been able to get this summer he is healthy and he's been working since at least July. And we know from his own words that he's been working with the new guys for a while.

We have a good group of young guys. I've been working out with them the last month or two and there's a lot of promise there.

boutons_
10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't expect a motivated Tim to be seen again until mid-April. :)

Spurs Brazil
10-17-2008, 02:53 PM
With Manu out we need a strong star from TP and TD

m33p0
10-18-2008, 06:28 AM
With Manu out the Spurs needs one of the young ones to develop fast.