PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili's Rehabilitation Allows Him To Run Again

duncan228
10-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Ginobili's rehabilitation allows him to run again (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobilis_rehabilitation_allows_him_to_run_again.h tml)
Mike Monroe

CLEVELAND — Six weeks after having surgery to correct a posterior impingement on his left ankle, Spurs All-Star guard Manu Ginobili has begun running again, and enjoying every limited minute of it.

For now, it's a workout that most members of the local health club could handle, but Ginobili considers it a welcome step on his road to recovery.

“Mostly, I'm bored,” he said after watching his teammates run through their morning shootaround at Gund Arena to prepare for Thursday night's preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, “but at least I'm running now. Just 15 minutes on the treadmill, but I'm very happy to be running.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said at the start of training camp that he expects his standout shooting guard to miss the first 20 to 25 games of the regular season. Ginobili said his ankle feels good, and he is confident the training and rehabilitation regimen prescribed by the team's medical and training staff will have him back on the court as soon as it is safe.

Dreading decision: Popovich rested Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Ime Udoka on Thursday and got another long look at the young wing players trying to make his team, Malik Hairston, Devin Green and Desmon Farmer. Having said he would cut down his roster before Saturday's game against Indiana, he said all three have made his decision very difficult.

Hairston played almost 25 minutes in Thursday's game, scoring two points and grabbing four rebounds. Green played almost 26 minutes and scored eight points. Farmer played only eight minutes, 43 seconds and scored three points.

“I'm just dreading the decision I'm going to have to make at some point,” Popovich said, “because all three of them have played really well in a lot of different ways. They're all really fine young men, and it's really going to be a struggle to figure that out.”

urunobili
10-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Green out don't flirt any more Pop!

T Park
10-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah Green is the obvious cut for right now.

But if its down between Hairston and Farmer, its a no brainer, you cut Farmer.

thekingrobert
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I wonder if Manu is doing full sprints

xtremesteven33
10-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Id rather have Farmer than Hairston at this point. He seems like a better investment and a better NBA ready talent.

timvp
10-17-2008, 12:06 AM
It's a tough decision between Hairston, Farmer and Green. Hairston has the most potential on the defensive end and is the most athletic, but he's not ready to help anytime soon. Farmer is easily the best scorer but he doesn't bring much else to the court. Green is right now the best all-around of the three but his potential isn't too high.

It's really close. I'm guessing it will come down to what the Spurs want. If they want someone to develop in Austin, Hairston is the way to go. If they thing scoring could be a problem, Farmer will get the nod. If they are looking for a rotation player who could play 10-12 minutes a night if need be, Green is a pretty good option.

Personally, the choice for me would come down to Hairston or Farmer. And I kinda like the idea of Farmer because he'd bring that perimeter assassin mentality the Spurs haven't had in a role player since Stephen Jackson left.

Ice009
10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Looking at our needs right now you gotta pick Farmer straight up.

If Malik can't help us right now then I don't know if we should sign him this season. He does look darn good though at times, but unfortunately his shooting isn't too great which is one of our biggest weaknesses.

TiMVP - who is the best penetrator between the three that can get to the free throw line? And who has the best handles between the three?

Spurtacus
10-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Good for Manu. :tu

carina_gino20
10-17-2008, 12:51 AM
“Mostly, I'm bored”

:lol No wonder he's been all over the place...

T Park
10-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Hairston has a good stroke that just needs seasoning.

Farmer has hit his peak and is just a gunner. Thats all.

Go for the better all around player in Hairston.

tp2021
10-17-2008, 01:24 AM
It would be great if Hairston would agree to sign with a Euro team. Assuming he wouldn't stay there, of course...

timvp
10-17-2008, 01:28 AM
who is the best penetrator between the three that can get to the free throw line?They are all three pretty good at penetrating. Hairston is in the Bonzi Wells mold in that he drives to the hoop with power and finishes strongly at the rim. Green is more of a slithery penetrator who uses his length to score around the rim. Farmer is a fearless penetrator and is always looking for a crease to the basket.

I'd say probably Farmer is the best at getting to the line, although Hairston is right there with him due to his power.

And who has the best handles between the three?Green has good enough handles that Pop put him at point guard during the third game of preseason. In the half court set, I'd say Farmer has the best handles when driving to the basket.

Ice009
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Great info. Thanks.

I'd have to agree with you then that it's between Hairston and Farmer, but Green doesn't sound too bad either.

Maybe we should look at the other side of the ball now. How would you rank the three as far as defense goes? 1. Hairston 2. Green 3. Farmer?

This is such a tough decision cause I love defense, maybe more than offense. What do the Spurs need more though offense or defense? That is the question I think Pop needs to work out if he hasn't already. Since he's been going after scoring guards in the off season I'd wager to bet he's after offense.

From the sounds of it, if properly motivated Hairston has some potential on the defensive end, probably the best of the 3. Do you think Farmer and or Green can improve on that end under Pop's tutelage?

Personally I think Farmer would be the most help while Manu is out. That's why I'd choose him. Long term I don't know the players well enough to say.

Manufan909
10-17-2008, 02:10 AM
IMO Hairston has the highest ceiling, put him in Austin, and Farmer on the active roster. Tolliver can chill with Manu and Bonner in a suit and tie.
:downspin:

timvp
10-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Maybe we should look at the other side of the ball now. How would you rank the three as far as defense goes? 1. Hairston 2. Green 3. Farmer? Yes. Hairston is prone to make tactical mistakes here and there but he has by far the most defensive upside. His six blocks in the last two games are pretty damn impressive for a player of his size.

Do you think Farmer and or Green can improve on that end under Pop's tutelage?That's tough to say. Green has decent length so Pop might be able to make him into a pretty good defender. Farmer doesn't have great size, great athleticism, great strength or great length so it's going to be tough for him to ever become an above average defender in the Spurs system.

T Park
10-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Great comparison of Hairston to a Bonzi Wells.

The Spurs have been missing a Bonzi Wells type player the last couple years, and I think if you can project Hairston out to be that type, you HAVE to keep him around.

Ice009
10-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Great comparison of Hairston to a Bonzi Wells.

The Spurs have been missing a Bonzi Wells type player the last couple years, and I think if you can project Hairston out to be that type, you HAVE to keep him around.

The problem is we need someone now. Hairston isn't ready yet. I'd love to keep him, but this is the problem we're stuck with. Do we get someone that can help now like Farmer or let that roster spot go to Hairston who will most likely be in the D-League. Unless Pop says fuck it you're on the real team and wants to give him minutes I don't know if we can afford to take him in this current situation. Offensive firepower while Manu is out could be really beneficial towards our win/loss record. You don't wanna be in a big hole if you have a choice.

Also, How do you guys think Pop works. Do you think Pop is playing the guys he's not sure about more? I mean for example Farmer played less. Does Pop do a lot of evaluating in practice too? Maybe he's seen stuff from certain players in practice and is playing the guys he's not sure about more? I wonder if he's already made his mind up or is being serious that these guys are making it hard for him to decide.

I tell you what though all these guys make Marcus Williams look like some scrub off the street that stumbled into the draft by mistake ;).

I want Watkins too. With the new formations out West in the front courts I really think he could help. His defensive potential really makes me excited when I think about the possibilities. Darn it, why do we have to have so little roster spots available.

Bruno
10-17-2008, 08:13 AM
“Mostly, I'm bored,” he said after watching his teammates run through their morning shootaround at Gund Arena to prepare for Thursday night's preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, “but at least I'm running now. Just 15 minutes on the treadmill, but I'm very happy to be running.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said at the start of training camp that he expects his standout shooting guard to miss the first 20 to 25 games of the regular season. Ginobili said his ankle feels good, and he is confident the training and rehabilitation regimen prescribed by the team's medical and training staff will have him back on the court as soon as it is safe

Pop will have a hard time to keep Manu out for 20, 25 games.
I have the feeling that after something like 10 or 15 games, Manu will push hard to come back on the court.

tav1
10-17-2008, 09:32 AM
It's a tough decision between Hairston, Farmer and Green. Hairston has the most potential on the defensive end and is the most athletic, but he's not ready to help anytime soon. Farmer is easily the best scorer but he doesn't bring much else to the court. Green is right now the best all-around of the three but his potential isn't too high.

It's really close. I'm guessing it will come down to what the Spurs want. If they want someone to develop in Austin, Hairston is the way to go. If they thing scoring could be a problem, Farmer will get the nod. If they are looking for a rotation player who could play 10-12 minutes a night if need be, Green is a pretty good option.

Personally, the choice for me would come down to Hairston or Farmer. And I kinda like the idea of Farmer because he'd bring that perimeter assassin mentality the Spurs haven't had in a role player since Stephen Jackson left.

This is precisely the same way I see things, with this additional point. If the Spurs cut Hairston, there is still a strong chance that he would play in Austin. If they cut Farmer, there is no chance. He's off to Europe, another NBA team or the Vipers. Mason is not up to speed yet and Farmer could actually play minutes now (scoring points now), something I'm not at all confident about with Hairston.

If the Spurs retain Hairston, it's because they see his potential as a rotation player in a year or two and want protection against poaching. I wouldn't be upset--he's made a case for himself--but I think Farmer has the edge.

Personally, I think Pop's best move would be to cut Green and Gaines and continue to look at Watkins, Farmer, and Hairston before making a decision. If Stoudamire gets preseason playing time, Green's minutes will be limited or non-existent, anyway.

dbestpro
10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd rather see Hairston, Tolliver, Green and Gaines someplace else. I do not see any of them providing this team with a lift for this season and in fact believe that are more of a liability than an asset. There will be much better players available through the waiver wire when other teams start to make their cuts. The only guy in my view that has a chance to contribute is Farmer and that is a long shot. Salim needs to play cause his shot will remind everyone of what an NBA level shot should be.

tav1
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM
The problem is we need someone now. Hairston isn't ready yet. I'd love to keep him, but this is the problem we're stuck with. Do we get someone that can help now like Farmer or let that roster spot go to Hairston who will most likely be in the D-League. Unless Pop says fuck it you're on the real team and wants to give him minutes I don't know if we can afford to take him in this current situation. Offensive firepower while Manu is out could be really beneficial towards our win/loss record. You don't wanna be in a big hole if you have a choice.

Also, How do you guys think Pop works. Do you think Pop is playing the guys he's not sure about more? I mean for example Farmer played less. Does Pop do a lot of evaluating in practice too? Maybe he's seen stuff from certain players in practice and is playing the guys he's not sure about more? I wonder if he's already made his mind up or is being serious that these guys are making it hard for him to decide.

I tell you what though all these guys make Marcus Williams look like some scrub off the street that stumbled into the draft by mistake ;).

I want Watkins too. With the new formations out West in the front courts I really think he could help. His defensive potential really makes me excited when I think about the possibilities. Darn it, why do we have to have so little roster spots available.

I'm arguing elsewhere that the Spurs should use their 6th big spot for a Toros assignee, whether Watkins or someone they pick up off the waiver wirer. Steven Hill is likely to be cut, Richard Hendrix stands a good chance to be cut, etc...but that is all moot if Pop keeps Bonner and Tolliver, which looks pretty certain given one's contract and the other's playing time. I think that is a mistake.

polandprzem
10-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Pop will have a hard time to keep Manu out for 20, 25 games.
I have the feeling that after something like 10 or 15 games, Manu will push hard to come back on the court.

Your feeling is a fact.

It was always like this. You can't stop manu from playing basketball.
Psycho!