PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama's thesis, but not Barack's

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
You can find Michelle Obama's Princeton thesis all over the place, but you can't find anything authored by Barack at either Columbia or Harvard?

Why is that?

Just curious.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Obama had a case note published in Harvard Law Review.....

PM5K
Joe The Plumber stole it...

RandomGuy
and why has he not denied being a child molester?

:rolleyes

I would find it funny to see some of McCain's old papers.

DarrinS
Obama had a case note published in Harvard Law Review.....

link?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
You can find Michelle Obama's Princeton thesis all over the place, but you can't find anything authored by Barack at either Columbia or Harvard?

Why is that?

Just curious.
that along with his columbia transcripts.

PM5K
10-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Here you go:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/OWP/2330B~Declaration-of-Independence-Posters.jpg

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:38 PM
and why has he not denied being a child molester?

He is going to be OUR employee. Would you not ask to see a potential employee's transcripts?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
that along with his columbia transcripts.

His papers from Columbia.

http://www.roll-ups.co.uk/ishop/images/879/vanilla112.jpg

PM5K
10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
He is going to be OUR employee. Would you not ask to see a potential employee's transcripts?

Yeah I want a piss test too....

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Weak sauce.

You guys are desperate.

Stick with getting the facts about Joe the plumber's assistant wrong.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
He is going to be OUR employee. Would you not ask to see a potential employee's transcripts?I have never sought out a presidential candidate's transcript before.

Have you?

Findog
10-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Why is that?

Just curious.

And of course once it surfaces, you'll be reassured and vote for Obama...after all, this is what is keeping you from voting for him, right? :rolleyes

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Weak sauce.

You guys are desperate.

Stick with getting the facts about Joe the plumber's assistant wrong.

What's there to hide?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I have never sought out a presidential candidate's transcript before.

Have you?

No, but the fact that his is being withheld makes me extremely curious.

Oh, Gee!!
No, but the fact that his is being withheld makes me extremely curious.

link?

Mr. Peabody
Exclusive: Obama's lost law review article
By: Ben Smith and Jeffrey Ressner
August 23, 2008 01:35 AM EST

Politico (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12705.html)
As president of the Harvard Law Review and a law professor in Chicago, Senator Barack Obama refined his legal thinking, but left a scant paper trail. His name doesn't appear on any legal scholarship.

But an unsigned — and previously unattributed — 1990 article unearthed by Politico offers a glimpse at Obama's views on abortion policy and the law during his student days, and provides a rare addition to his body of work.

The six-page summary, tucked into the third volume of the year's Harvard Law Review, considers the charged, if peripheral, question of whether fetuses should be able to file lawsuits against their mothers. Obama's answer, like most courts': No. He wrote approvingly of an Illinois Supreme Court ruling that the unborn cannot sue their mothers for negligence, and he suggested that allowing fetuses to sue would violate the mother's rights and could, perversely, cause her to take more risks with her pregnancy.

The subject matter took Obama to the treacherous political landscape of reproductive rights, and - unlike many student authors - he dived eagerly into the policy implications of the court decision. His article acknowledged a public interest in the health of the fetus, but also seemed to demonstrate his continuing commitment to abortion rights, and suggested that the government may have more important concerns than "ensuring that any particular fetus is born."

"[T]he case raises the broader policy and constitutional considerations that argue against using civil liability to control the behavior of pregnant women," Obama wrote of Stallman vs. Youngquist.

And he concluded the article with a flourish: "Expanded access to prenatal education and heath care facilities will far more likely serve the very real state interest in preventing increasing numbers of children from being born in to lives of pain and despair."

Law students elected to the prestigious Harvard Law Review spend two years working there. In their first year, most write the brief, anonymous "case comments" like Obama's, which bears the unwieldy heading: TORT LAW - PRENATAL INJURIES - SUPREME COURT OF ILLINOIS REFUSES TO RECOGNIZE CAUSE OF ACTION BROUGHT BY FETUS AGAINST ITS MOTHER FOR UNINTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF PRENATAL INJURIES.

Obama's tenure at the Review has been chronicled at length in the Politico, the New York Times, and elsewhere.

But Obama has never mentioned his law review piece, a demurral that's part of his campaign's broader pattern of rarely volunteering information or documents about the candidate, even when relatively innocuous. When Politico reporters working on a story about Obama's law review presidency earlier this year asked if he had written for the review, a spokesman responded accurately - but narrowly - that "as the president of the Law Review, Obama didn't write articles, he edited and reviewed them."

The case comment was published a month before he became president.

The notion that Obama hadn't written at all for the Review prompted skepticism.

"They probably don't want [to] have you [reporters] going back" to examine the Review, University of Southern California law professor (and Michael Dukakis campaign manager) Susan Estrich said at the time.

The Obama campaign swiftly confirmed Obama's authorship of the fetal rights article Thursday after a source told Politico he'd written it. The campaign also provided a statement on Harvard Law Review letterhead confirming that the unsigned piece was Obama's - the only record of the anonymous authors is kept in the office of the Review president - and that records showed it was the only piece he'd written for the Review.

"Like most second-year law students on the Harvard Law Review, Senator Obama wrote an unsigned student case comment that summarized a recent decision by a state or lower federal court. The piece analyzed a case in which a mother was sued by her child for injuries caused by the mother's negligent driving during her pregnancy. Senator Obama concluded that, in such cases, the Illinois Supreme Court was correct not to allow lawsuits by children against their mothers," said Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt in an email. "He wrote that the best way to protect the health of fetuses was to provide prenatal education and health care to pregnant women - issues he remains committed to today and which he has worked to advance as a legislator and in this campaign."

LaBolt also provided a brief analysis from Cass Sunstein, a University of Chicago law professor who supports Obama.

"Student Obama was acutely attuned to the limits of the judiciary, and of suits between children and their mother, in this sensitive area," Sunstein wrote. "This is a modest and balanced piece that fits easily within the framework of the law at the time."

Outside lawyers who reviewed the piece for Politico also said it was a fairly standard example of the genre, an approving recap of an interesting - and quite mainstream -- state court verdict.

The recent case reviews take a basically "journalistic" approach to the decisions they analyze, said Scott Altman, another professor at the University of Southern California Law School.

Obama approached "what remains a controversial issue in a temperate way," said Altman, who was on the Harvard Law Review a few years before Obama. He noted that Obama's terms were carefully hedged - "may" and "many people think" in place of bold declarations.

"It's a very narrow essay," he said.

The case at issue in Stallman, though, was an interesting one. According to Obama's footnotes, the child's mother, Bari Stallman was involved in a car accident in 1981 with a Clarence Youngquist. Her daughter, Lindsey, was born with severe injuries from the wreck, and so Stallman's husband, acting for the baby, sued both his wife and Youngquist for negligence, hoping to recover damages from their insurance companies.

After a series of court rulings and reversals, the Illinois Supreme Court held that the fetus doesn't have the right to sue its mother. The court warned that allowing a fetus to sue its mother could make them "legal adversaries from the moment of conception until birth."

Obama's article addressed only the narrow question of whether a fetus could sue its mother for negligence. He didn't take on the broader question of the fetus's personhood, or whether it could sue others.

He described cases "involving maternal activities that might be considered intentional or reckless infliction of prenatal injuries on the fetus" as "more difficult," though he wrote that as a matter of encouraging good maternal behavior, giving fetuses the right to sue their mothers remained "ill-conceived."

Fetal rights is, as Obama acknowledged, a charged issue largely because of its connection to the abortion debate. That's a question Obama touched in passing, and from both sides, in his article.

On one hand, he warned that allowing fetuses to sue their mothers could actually lead to more abortions.

"Imposing civil liability on mothers may be as likely to deter the carrying of pregnancies to term as to deter maternal negligence during pregnancy," he wrote.

He was also acutely sensitive to women's rights, and to the consequences of involving civil law in childbearing.

"Fetal-maternal tort suits might entail far more intrusive scrutiny of a woman's behavior than the scrutiny involved in the discrete regulation of the abortion decision," he wrote. "On the other hand, the state may also have a more compelling interest in ensuring that fetuses carried to term do not suffer from debilitating injuries than it does in ensuring that any particular fetus is born."

Obama's article, which begins on page 823 of Volume 103 of the Harvard Law Review, is available in libraries and subscription-only legal databases.

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC

ChumpDumper
NoExactly.

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:44 PM
And of course once it surfaces, you'll be reassured and vote for Obama...after all, this is what is keeping you from voting for him, right? :rolleyes

Is it illegal to NOT vote for him based on his policy positions?

Frankly, I don't like the other dillweed much better.

Findog
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Is it illegal to NOT vote for him based on his policy positions?

Go to his website if you want to learn his policy positions. I assume you have some sort of familiarity with what he proposes and don't like it. I got no problem with that. But what is the purpose of haranguing him over not being able to read his thesis?

Oh, Gee!!
10-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Frankly, I don't like the other dillweed much better.

Have you read his thesis? it's etched on a cave wall.

Oh, Gee!!
10-17-2008, 03:48 PM
do law students write a thesis?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Have you read his thesis? it's etched on a cave wall.

:lmao Stop! Stop! My Ribs!

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Pretty interesting NYT article on Obama's election to Harvard Law Review.

I didn't realize that it used to go to the student with the best grades, up until the 1970's. They don't even RANK their law students anymore. Wow.:wow

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE2DC1631F935A35751C0A9669582 60

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
do law students write a thesis?

I'm pretty sure you don't write a thesis. Some people on law review write articles, but I don't know that students write a thesis.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:01 PM
You know what you call a guy who graduates last in his medical school class?

Doctor.

You guys can tell me what an easy time you had at Harvard Law, and I'll accept your attempt to downplay Obama's academic career.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Pretty interesting NYT article on Obama's election to Harvard Law Review.

I didn't realize that it used to go to the student with the best grades, up until the 1970's. They don't even RANK their law students anymore. Wow.:wow

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE2DC1631F935A35751C0A9669582 60

He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law, so I doubt his credentials were an issue.

RandomGuy
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Which is why I would like to see McCain's.

Seriously though, I am sure they are out there.

10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Which is why I would like to see McCain's.

Seriously though, I am sure they are out there.

Aren't they already accessible since he went to a service academy? I've seen it thrown around (can't remember the exact number) that he graduated "X" out of "X" in his class at Navy. And then I'm pretty sure there is something on his service records. Wasn't there some dust up a while back about his command of a maintenance squadron or something?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
and I'll accept your attempt to downplay Obama's academic career.it's hard to comment when his columbia transcripts are locked up at fort knox.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
it's hard to comment when his columbia transcripts are locked up at fort knox.What exactly do you want to know?

What information contained inside a 20+ year-old undergraduate transcript would have an effect on your vote?

Be specific.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
it's hard to comment when his columbia transcripts are locked up at fort knox.

Yes, it is hard to note someone's academic achievement when they graduate from an Ivy League School, become president of Harvard Law Review and then, graduate magna cum laude.

BTW, Chief Justice John Roberts, who was lauded by the right as having a brilliant legal mind and impeccable credentials, graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law and was managing editor of Harvard Law Review.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
What exactly do you want to know?

What information contained inside a 20+ year-old undergraduate transcript would have an effect on your vote?

Be specific.
the only thing that gets to me is the secrecy and his "oh no you got me" stance on everything. what is there to hide. it could be filled with grades that would make you scratch your head as to how he got into harvard. we'll never know that. at least not now.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
This is from The Weekly Standard. News Corp and Bill Kristol's mag. Even they acknowledge that Obama was an exceptional student at Harvard even though they go on to slam his campaign operation (who would have thought he'd be in this position last November).

The Real Barack Obama
Missing in action.
by Dean Barnett
11/06/2007 12:00:00 AM
Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/316vvyov.asp?pg=1)

IN MY PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL life, I had reason to be in contact with dozens of Barack Obama's classmates at Harvard Law School. When he entered the presidential race, I dusted off my Rolodex and began making some calls to get the off-the-record skinny on the Democrats' potential savior.

The results surprised me. Regardless of his classmates' politics, they all said pretty much the same thing. They adored him. The only thing that varied was the intensity with which they adored him. Some spoke like they were eager to bear his children. And those were the guys. Others merely professed a profound fondness and respect for their former classmate.

Even more interesting was what wasn't said. In dozens of conversations, not a single person said anything negative about him, and some were hardly the senator's political fellow travelers. Also noteworthy is that virtually everyone seemed to know Obama. Usually people who have such a high profile on law school campuses have their detractors. Obama apparently didn't.

This general attitude regarding Obama is even more remarkable given how well he performed at Harvard Law School. Obama graduated there in 1991. As many people know, he was president of the Harvard Law Review. This accomplishment, for those who know how such things work, was easy to minimize. Generally, you earned admission to the Law Review because of a distinguished academic performance in your first year. But there were some members who got on the Law Review because they wrote good essays as part of their application process and in spite of mediocre grades. A notable subset of this latter category was minority students; a politically correct institution, the Law Review cared about diversity in its ranks.

This was an unacknowledged form of affirmative action, but just because the Law Review didn't acknowledge it didn't mean law firms would follow suit. Membership on the Law Review basically meant that you were one of Harvard's smartest students. Unless you got there for some reason other than your grades. In those cases, hiring authorities would usually dismiss your Law Review membership, although they would never admit to doing so.

The only reason I bring this barely relevant history up is to show what a stud of a law student Barack Obama was. He graduated Harvard magna cum laude. This was one honor you unquestionably had to earn. It's a very impressive feat. Back in Obama's days at Harvard, more than 50 percent of the class graduated cum laude, a fact that made graduating "with honors" a meaningless accomplishment. But graduating magna was a different kettle of fish. Barack Obama graduated right near the top of his law school class.

That fact, along with his presidency of the Law Review, makes his uniform popularity all the more impressive. Law schools are intensely competitive places. People who thrive to an unseemly extent, as Obama did, are usually subject to an array of resentments. After all, the lawyers of tomorrow populate law schools; pettiness and insecurity reign supreme.

Oh, Gee!!
10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
sounds like a cool dude

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, it is hard to note someone's academic achievement when they graduate from an Ivy League School, become president of Harvard Law Review and then, graduate magna cum laude.

BTW, Chief Justice John Roberts, who was lauded by the right as having a brilliant legal mind and impeccable credentials, graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law and was managing editor of Harvard Law Review.

i never implied here or anywhere that obamessiah was stupid. it looks like both him and justice roberts followed a similar path. i wonder if you can get justice roberts transcripts.

Oh, Gee!!
10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
i wonder if you can get justice roberts transcripts.

I care more about his opinions

ChumpDumper
the only thing that gets to me is the secrecy and his "oh no you got me" stance on everything. what is there to hide. it could be filled with grades that would make you scratch your head as to how he got into harvard. we'll never know that. at least not now.So, basically you wouldn't find anything and are just bitching about this because the Ayers and secret Muslim canards failed miserably.

And he did quite well at Harvard -- without any doubt -- so why would you even try to question their selection process now?

This is pretty sad.

Mr. Peabody
the only thing that gets to me is the secrecy and his "oh no you got me" stance on everything. what is there to hide. it could be filled with grades that would make you scratch your head as to how he got into harvard. we'll never know that. at least not now.

The presidential hopeful graduated magna cum laude from the Law School in 1991; his wife earned the degree three years earlier.

But the senator was still outstanding in his own right—“brilliant, charismatic, and focused,” said Wilkins, the Kirkland and Ellis professor of law. The two forged a relationship after Obama became the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review.

Obama announced the creation of an exploratory committee Tuesday, effectively launching his bid for the presidency, but he revealed his decision to his closest supporters in a conference call days earlier.

“He talked about how the timing was not exactly what he himself expected, but with a tremendous response from the nation, that this is an important moment and a great opportunity to step forward,” Wilkins said.

Loeb University Professor Laurence H. Tribe ’62, who taught Obama and employed him as a research assistant, remembers him as a “brilliant, personable, and obviously unique” person. Tribe said that Obama’s theoretical perspective on applying modern physics to law was “very impressive.”

“He is obviously a serious intellectual as well as a fantastic campaigner who can reach across boundaries,” Tribe said. “He will make an extraordinarily fine president.”

When two professors at Harvard Law are referring to you as brilliant and a serious intellectual, I would say there's a pretty good chance that you deserved to be enrolled at Harvard.

Oh, Gee!!
10-17-2008, 04:40 PM
oh, this laurence tribe is praising obama's intellect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Tribe

Do you wanna see his transcripts too, VLE?

balli
10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd like to see some of the great educational works of one Sarah Palin. Surely Idaho State Community College has a paper record of her brilliant writings. I'm suspicious that we can't see it.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
So, basically you wouldn't find anything and are just bitching about this because the Ayers and secret Muslim canards failed miserably.

And he did quite well at Harvard -- without any doubt -- so why would you even try to question their selection process now?

This is pretty sad.
i just don't see what all the secrecy is about. if you wanna take him, or anybody for that matter, at face value then that's your choice.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see some of the great educational works of one Sarah Palin. Surely Idaho State Community College has a paper record of her brilliant writings. I'm suspicious that we can't see it.then request it if you can. let's see. i wouldn't mind seeing her grades. uh, one thing though. i thought she left idaho when she was an infant, Mr Biden

:lmao

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
From NYT's David Brooks...

April 26, 2007
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Obama, Gospel and Verse

By DAVID BROOKS
Sometimes you take a shot.

Yesterday evening I was interviewing Barack Obama and we were talking about effective foreign aid programs in Africa. His voice was measured and fatigued, and he was taking those little pauses candidates take when they’re afraid of saying something that might hurt them later on.

Out of the blue I asked, “Have you ever read Reinhold Niebuhr?”

Obama’s tone changed. “I love him. He’s one of my favorite philosophers.”

So I asked, What do you take away from him?

“I take away,” Obama answered in a rush of words, “the compelling idea that there’s serious evil in the world, and hardship and pain. And we should be humble and modest in our belief we can eliminate those things. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse for cynicism and inaction. I take away ... the sense we have to make these efforts knowing they are hard, and not swinging from naïve idealism to bitter realism.”

My first impression was that for a guy who’s spent the last few months fund-raising, and who was walking off the Senate floor as he spoke, that’s a pretty good off-the-cuff summary of Niebuhr’s “The Irony of American History.” My second impression is that his campaign is an attempt to thread the Niebuhrian needle, and it’s really interesting to watch.

The guy is riffing on Reinhold Niebuhr because of a spontaneous question by a reporter. How many politicians can pull that off? How many politicians would even know who Reinhold Niebuhr was, much less be able to summarize the tenets of his philosophy?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
When two professors at Harvard Law are referring to you as brilliant and a serious intellectual, I would say there's a pretty good chance that you deserved to be enrolled at Harvard.i don't doubt their endorsement of him. he graduated top of his class. i don't think that is the point of this thread. that's out in the open. his record of columbia is not.

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 04:51 PM
You know what you call a guy who graduates last in his medical school class?

Doctor.

You guys can tell me what an easy time you had at Harvard Law, and I'll accept your attempt to downplay Obama's academic career.

I'm not interested in finding grammatical errors, I'm interested in his ideas.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
i just don't see what all the secrecy is about. if you wanna take him, or anybody for that matter, at face value then that's your choice.

Again, why specifically do you want to see the transcript?

Have you seen McCain's Naval Academy transcript? I didn't see any links to it on the timeline on his website.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not interested in finding grammatical errors, I'm interested in his ideas.I'm interested in finding McCain's Naval Academy transcript and papers.

Give me a link to those. I'm sure you in your interest in his ideas, you found those long ago and there's no way at all you would be propagating a double standard.

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm interested in finding McCain's Naval Academy transcript and papers.

Give me a link to those. I'm sure you in your interest in his ideas, you found those long ago and there's no way at all you would be propagating a double standard.

He actually jokes that he graduated 894 out of 899, so I don't think he's hiding anything.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
You guys couldn't be more disingenuous.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 04:57 PM
He actually jokes that he graduated 894 out of 899, so I don't think he's hiding anything.And Obama graduated with honors, so i don't think he's hiding anything.

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do we hold people that have gone to law school in such high regard?

Anti.Hero
Only his birth certificate.

Viva Las Espuelas
From NYT's David Brooks...

The guy is riffing on Reinhold Niebuhr because of a spontaneous question by a reporter. How many politicians can pull that off? How many politicians would even know who Reinhold Niebuhr was, much less be able to summarize the tenets of his philosophy?

Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr (June 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_21), 1892 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1892) – June 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_1), 1971 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971)) was an American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) theologian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology). A Protestant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant), he is best known for his study of the task of relating the Christian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian) faith to the realities of modern politics and diplomacy. He was an important contributor to modern "just war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war)" thinking.
how could any politician have known someone that deals with relations of politics and diplomacy? [<------please ask self with oozing sarcasm]

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
i don't doubt their endorsement of him. he graduated top of his class. i don't think that is the point of this thread. that's out in the open. his record of columbia is not.

The original point of the thread was the claim that none of his written works as a student were published. I pointed out that, in fact, he had a case note published in Harvard Law Review during his first year in law school.

Also -

Obama and the case of the missing 'thesis'
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:01 PM ET
Filed Under: Politics
. . . .
So we turned for answers to the former professor who graded the now-elusive paper.

Ace student
In 1983, as a senior at Columbia in New York, Barack Obama enrolled in an intense, eight-student honors seminar called American Foreign Policy. His former professor, Michael Baron, recalled in an interview with NBC News that Obama easily aced the year-long class. But Baron says he never had any inkling that the gangly senior would scale such heights.

“You wouldn’t say, ‘Oh, he’s going to be secretary of state or president someday’,” Baron said. Obama was whip smart and “clearly one of the top one or two students in the class,” he said, but Obama’s seven classmates also could hold their own. “No real dolts in the class,” Baron remembered.

Twenty-five years later, Baron is president of a digital-media company in Florida and has hung up his professorial tweeds for good. He had saved Obama’s senior paper for years, and even hunted for it again this month in some boxes. But he said his search was fruitless, and he now thinks he tossed it out eight years ago during a move.

Baron described the paper as a “thesis” or “senior thesis” in several interviews, and said that Obama spent a year working on it. Baron recalls that the topic was nuclear negotiations with the Soviet Union.

“My recollection is that the paper was an analysis of the evolution of the arms reduction negotiations between the Soviet Union and the United States,” Baron said in an e-mail. “At that time, a hot topic in foreign policy circles was finding a way in which each country could safely reduce the large arsenal of nuclear weapons pointed at the other … For U.S. policy makers in both political parties, the aim was not disarmament, but achieving deep reductions in the Soviet nuclear arsenal and keeping a substantial and permanent American advantage. As I remember it, the paper was about those negotiations, their tactics and chances for success. Barack got an A.”

Baron said that, even if he could find a copy of the paper, it would likely disappoint Obama’s critics. “The course was not a polemical course, it was a course in decision making and how decisions got made,” he said. “None of the papers in the class were controversial.”

So would it provide any political ammunition today? “I don’t think it would at all,” Baron said. “It wasn’t a position paper; it was an analysis of decision-making.”

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do we hold people that have gone to law school in such high regard?Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to opine about this once a person who is a lawyer became someone you didn't want to be president?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Again, why specifically do you want to see the transcript?

Have you seen McCain's Naval Academy transcript? I didn't see any links to it on the timeline on his website.
your not reading what i'm writing so there's no use with you. we know that he graduated at the bottom of his class. that's known. again, and hopefully you'll internalize it, what did obama do at columbia?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to opine about this once a person who is a lawyer became someone you didn't want to be president?

I've always wondered about it.

ChumpDumper
Only his birth certificate.Nope. It's there for anyone who chooses to see.

Mr. Peabody
how could any politician have known someone that deals with relations of politics and diplomacy? [<------please ask self with oozing sarcasm]

If you think most politicians could riff on Niebuhr out of the blue, then maybe I'm wrong. But, I doubt that your average politician could pull that off.

Hell, even David Brooks was impressed by his knowledge of the topic.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
your not reading what i'm writing so there's no use with you. we know that he graduated at the bottom of his class. that's known. again, and hopefully you'll internalize it, what did obama do at columbia?Graduated and did well enough to get into Harvard Law.

What dispute do you have with this?

You aren't being specific at all.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I've always wondered about it.So do you hold them in high regard?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
So do you hold them in high regard?

I work with one and she's a real bitch. Her and her husband are about to get bent over by Barack's "fair" tax. LOL. They have a 7500 sq ft house.

EDIT> Presonally, I have more respect for doctors and engineers than I have for attorneys.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I work with one and she's a real bitch. Her and her husband are about to get bent over by Barack's "fair" tax. LOL. They have a 7500 sq ft house.So from a class warfare standpoint, you don't hold them in high regard.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do we hold people that have gone to law school in such high regard?

Because, at a minimum, it's a form of post graduate education. People that have gone to law school first had to get a bachelor's degree (4-5 years) and then, pursued another 3 years of education. It's the same reason we hold people with Master's degrees and Ph.Ds in such high regard.

Should we have contempt for them?

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:10 PM
So from a class warfare standpoint, you don't hold them in high regard.

I think they are overpaid for what they do. I saved a lot of money by doing my own divorce papers (~15 years ago). They don't do anything that your average person couldn't do, with a little research.

I wouldn't mind if their wealth gets spread around to me.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I think they are overpaid for what they do. I saved a lot of money by doing my own divorce papers (~15 years ago). They don't do anything that your average person couldn't do, with a little research.:lol

I wouldn't mind if their wealth gets spread around to me.Socialist.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I work with one and she's a real bitch. Her and her husband are about to get bent over by Barack's "fair" tax. LOL. They have a 7500 sq ft house.

EDIT> Presonally, I have more respect for doctors and engineers than I have for attorneys.

Well hell, that's all the reason I need....:toast

Ginofan
10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
so...you guys want to see the details of Obama's transcripts, for what purpose i have no idea...but then you get all butt hurt over the details of Joe the Plumber's fraud being dug up and splashed all over the media. That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I think they are overpaid for what they do. I saved a lot of money by doing my own divorce papers (~15 years ago). They don't do anything that your average person couldn't do, with a little research.

That reminds me of my buddy who insists that he doesn't need to see a doctor ever again because he can just look everything up on WebMD.:lol

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:21 PM
That reminds me of my buddy who insists that he doesn't need to see a doctor ever again because he can just look everything up on WebMD.:lol

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HDH4Z2TGL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
so...you guys want to see the details of Obama's transcripts, for what purpose i have no idea...but then you get all butt hurt over the details of Joe the Plumber's fraud being dug up and splashed all over the media. That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Is Joe the Plumber running for president?

ChumpDumper
10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HDH4Z2TGL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpgIt's a nice option if both parties are amicable.

DarrinS
10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
It's a nice option if both parties are amicable.

true

Ginofan
10-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Is Joe the Plumber running for president?

Does a candidate's transcript decide your vote?

Joe the Plumber is not running for president, but the republican's sure do seem to make him the be all representative a "small business" owner. Honestly, I could care less about him and his back taxes and what not, but the hypocrisy showed by some of you republicans is laughable.

shelshor
10-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Because, at a minimum, it's a form of post graduate education. People that have gone to law school first had to get a bachelor's degree (4-5 years) and then, pursued another 3 years of education. It's the same reason we hold people with Master's degrees and Ph.Ds in such high regard.

Should we have contempt for them?

Not necessarily--I know 2 people who went to UT Law School, and are now practicing attorneys and neither finished the work for a BA

TheMadHatter
10-18-2008, 12:08 AM
So the party of anti-intellectualism is trying to crucify Obama for not being intellectual enough? I'm not even surprised anymore at the idiocy of the Right.

Enjoy being marginalized for the next decade.