PDA

View Full Version : Cavs' West taking medication, undergoing therapy for mood disorder

lefty
10-17-2008, 05:37 PM
CLEVELAND -- Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West contemplated quitting before leaving the team's training camp to seek help for depression and "a mood disorder" he has been battling his entire life.

West, who recently signed a two-year contract with Cleveland, said he removed himself from the team to "get my thoughts back together." He missed three preseason games during his absence from Oct. 4-15.

West

West
"I felt a feeling of anger and I just wanted to throw it all away and quit the team," he said.

The 25-year-old candidly discussed his condition following practice on Friday. West said he had been troubled by his behavior toward a high school referee during a scrimmage at the Cavs' training facility on Oct. 3. West took out his frustrations on the official, and said the incident was a warning signal for him to seek treatment to combat an illness that has troubled him for years.

"I needed help," he said.

West is taking medication and has been attending therapy sessions.

"In a sense, you feel like a weaker man because you have to raise your hand and ask for help," West said. "But I found out over the last week that it made me a stronger person. I came back focused, and with the help of some medicine and talking with people on a regular basis, I'm back in good spirits.

"I'm back here 100 percent."

West played 28 minutes in Cleveland's loss to San Antonio on Thursday night. He made only 2-of-12 shots from the field and scored only 7 points, but the former Saint Joseph's guard said it was "the funnest game I've played in years."

"Being on the court felt like being on the playground as a child again," he said. "I had the time of my life last night."

West was acquired by the Cavaliers last season from Seattle as part of an 11-player trade before the Feb. 21 deadline. He was one of Cleveland's best players in the postseason, averaging 10.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 13 games.

He entered the offseason as a restricted free agent. On Sept. 12, the Cavaliers, who were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals last season by Boston, signed him to a two-year deal that included a club option for the 2011-12 season.

West is expected to compete with Daniel Gibson for playing time in Cleveland's backcourt alongside Mo Williams.

West said his mood problems date to his childhood. He has always been able to find peace in the gym, but he has struggled with relationships away from the floor.

West said his mood swings seem to be most erratic when his life seems to be in order.

"When everything is on the upside, I'm feeling the worst," said West, who thanked his teammates, including LeBron James, for their support while he was away.

"This is the epitome of a family organization," he said. "I want to go to war for these people. I would die for them, I really mean that."

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown wasn't surprised to hear that West was open about discussing his condition.

"He's a good guy," Brown said. "He's a trustworthy guy and forthright."

West said he's not concerned about any outside perception about his condition and he's not worried about what others think about him.

"Only God is my judge," he said. "All that matters is how I feel about myself."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3649328

The Franchise
10-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Crazy Pills 2

Findog
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
It actually takes a lot of strength to reach out and get help for your problems, and deal with them head-on instead of sweeping them under the carpet. Hope he gets things sorted out.

ImmortalD24
10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/cleve/images/10085/13.jpg
He looks fucked up too.

KidCongo
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Hope the medication works well for him. Good to see him back.

bdictjames
10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Does he have bipolar?

That could be a good thing. Who knows what a manic could do there in the basketball court. Maybe he can throw in a couple 360s or something.

duncan228
10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Some more quotes from him. Like Findog said, it's hard to do what he's doing. And speaking up about it says a lot about the guy. I wish him well.

Delonte West back with Cavs, reveals his personal battles (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/10/delonte_west_back_with_cavs_re.html)
by [email protected]; [email protected]

Delonte West took a seat on the bench and spoke quietly and candidly about the mood disorder that caused him to step away from the Cavaliers for almost two weeks.

"Before you can help out a team or an organization, you've got to be able to help yourself first so you can give your undivided attention to the job at hand," West said softly. "I removed myself from the team so I could get myself together so I could not be a distraction to the team and what we're trying to accomplish here."

"For a while you feel like a weaker man because you've got to raise your hand and ask for help. But I found out over the last week that made me a stronger person."

Prompted by his outburst directed toward a high school referee who was working an intrasquad scrimmage during practice Oct. 3, the Cavs' guard knew he had to do something. Having battled depression for years, he recognized the signs.

"The ugly head started to show itself again," the 25-year-old West said. "It's been haunting me my whole life, self-destructive behavior. Everything is going good for me -- being on a great team where anything less than a championship is unacceptable this year, getting a new contract, being in a good situation, When everything is on the upside, I'm feeling the worst.

"I've had a history of doing that in the past, where I've quit teams or sabotaged my own success. At this juncture in my life, I don't want to keep doing that. I want to enjoy being in the NBA. I want to enjoy being successful. I want to enjoy my life."

So West returned to his home in the Washington, D.C., area to look for help. He spoke to a therapist, individually and in group sessions, and also was prescribed medication, which he says has made him feel much better.

A gifted artist and poet, the introspective West opened a window to his soul and his life.

"At this point in my life, you kind of hide behind the personality that's created by the fans or the media," he said. "But we're still people too. Besides the fame and the finances, you still have to deal with emotional and family situations on a daily basis just like everybody else.

"In the gym, I've always found peace. At this age, I want to become more of a complete person off the court. At times I struggle with that. So I feel stronger that I did seek help and I've got a plan of action for this year off the court. Some of that may include group sessions or inpatient time. If that helps me be the best basketball player that I can be, man, I'm all for it."

The team gave West plenty of space and time to deal with the problem and has made a commitment to continue to be supportive just as they would with a player who has a physical injury. The Cavs have a therapist on staff but are also willing to give West whatever other help he needs.

"Delonte's a good guy, he's trustworthy and forthright," coach Mike Brown said. "When you preach something your actions have to speak louder than words and we're a family organization. We value each one of our family members like they're ours."

West said the support of the Cavs' organization and the volume of calls and text messages he has received has comforted him. All of which reaffirmed his commitment to this team.

"Every organization preaches family," West said. "But this is the epitome of what a family organization is. Everyone has been supportive. Everybody from Danny Ferry to coach Brown to LeBron [James]. All the players on the team have called or texted me over the last two weeks to express their concern and tell me how much they miss my joking and my personality around the locker room.

"I want to go to war for these people. All I've got in this world is my word and what I stand for. Besides basketball, I feel like I'd die for everybody in this gym. If a terrorist came in here right now, I'm the first one standing in line so everybody else could escape."

West knows there's a stigma involved when discussing mood disorders or depression.

"I don't care if anyone laughs at me," he said. "All that matters is how I feel about myself."

And right now, he feels great. He even felt good about making just two of 12 shots in his first preseason game against the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday night.

"Seeking help definitely helped me out, put a smile on my face, allowed me to enjoy basketball," West said, brightening significantly. "Last night was the funnest game I've played in years. It was like being on the playground as a child again. I had the time of my life."

MrChug
10-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd need pills if I looked like that too...no amount of milz could get that guy laid.

JamStone
10-18-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photogalleries/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/cleve/images/10085/13.jpg

That must have sucked for that kid. You get to take pictures with 3 Cavs players, and not one of them is LeBron.

lefty
10-18-2008, 03:45 AM
That must have sucked for that kid. You get to take pictures with 3 Cavs players, and not one of them is LeBron.

Well, almost...

13-1 = 12
then 12*2 = 24

m33p0
10-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Well, almost...

13-1 = 12
then 12*2 = 24
yah can't pull that *2 out of a hat! that's cheatin'!