PDA

View Full Version : Oh, The Irony...

Nbadan
02-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Monday, February 14, 2005; Page A01

When the Bush administration decided to invade Iraq two years ago, it envisioned a quick handover to handpicked allies in a secular government that would be the antithesis of Iran's theocracy -- potentially even a foil to Tehran's regional ambitions.

But, in one of the greatest ironies of the U.S. intervention, Iraqis instead went to the polls and elected a government with a strong religious base -- and very close ties to the Islamic republic next door. It is the last thing the administration expected from its costly Iraq policy -- $300 billion and counting, U.S. and regional analysts say.

Yesterday, the White House heralded the election and credited the U.S. role. In a statement, President Bush praised Iraqis "for defying terrorist threats and setting their country on the path of democracy and freedom. And I congratulate every candidate who stood for election and those who will take office once the results are certified."

Yet the top two winning parties -- which together won more than 70 percent of the vote and are expected to name Iraq's new prime minister and president -- are Iran's closest allies in Iraq.

more…

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21679-2005Feb13.html)

Maybe it's time to seriously start asking those who support the intervention (some say invasion) of Iraq who they want to win the war? Iran?

Guru of Nothing
02-15-2005, 01:15 AM
[B] Oh, The Irony...

Dan, the irony of you using the word irony is enough to make my head explode.

Please stop.

Nbadan
02-15-2005, 01:26 AM
And here I thought for a sec. that Irony was dead...

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~cj9r/redneck/Irony.jpg

Guru of Nothing
02-15-2005, 01:30 AM
I thought for a sec.

Liar!

Nbadan
02-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Ok, you caught me...but here is some more Irony for your enjoyment...

Abortion rights advocates are fuming over reports that some key Democrats are backing antiabortion candidates in at least two Senate races, a sign that the emotional issue continues to vex the party after the 2004 election losses.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has signaled its preference -- sometimes subtly, sometimes not -- for Pennsylvania Treasurer Robert P. Casey Jr. in next year's bid to oust Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), and for Rep. James R. Langevin (D-R.I.) in the race against Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee (R-R.I.). Casey and Langevin describe themselves as pro-life. Abortion rights groups are miffed at the DSCC for appearing to back the two men long before the 2006 primaries, which will include prominent Democrats who favor abortion rights.

"It's disturbing," said Kate Michelman, a past president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. "It concerns women and it concerns the pro-choice community that the party would preempt the process and anoint someone who doesn't share the party's core values" -- in this case, legalized abortion.

The issue is especially troubling in Pennsylvania, Michelman said, where former state treasurer Barbara Hafer is not only a proponent of abortion rights but is also viewed by many as a woman who has earned a shot at the Senate. Noting that Santorum is one of Congress's most outspoken opponents of abortion, Michelman said Democrats should offer voters a clear contrast rather than another "anti-choice candidate" such as Casey.

The Democrats using opposition to abortion as a wedge issue against Republicans, now that's Irony!

Nbadan
02-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Today must be Irony day because here we have what can only be labeled - Ironic!

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Senior Taliban members have agreed to join a reconciliation process to be announced soon by the Afghan government, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan said Monday.

Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad said there had been a "positive response" to overtures from American and Afghan officials, which have intensified in recent months.

"Quite a number of people associated with the Taliban have taken advantage of it already and are living in their areas, they've come in and some senior members have also come in," Khalilzad said at a news conference.

He declined to give details about the reconciliation program, but said there would likely be an announcement from the Afghan government in coming days.

Khalilzad and the U.S. military are pressing President Hamid Karzai to reach out to "non-criminal" Taliban, many of whom are believed to have taken refuge in neighboring Pakistan after a U.S. bombing campaign ousted the former militia following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center.

Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-afghan-taliban-truce,0,6980663.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines)

The Taliban - evil, devil, satan, terrorists, murderers, women-beaters - friend?