PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from an old mate...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Hello you lovely Texans! Matt, aka, RuffnReady here to say hello.

I'm still teaching English in Japan (which is getting real old real quick, but I get to go home for good in July thankfully), still loving the Spurs. Just discovered that I can use this forum - at Japanese schools, most forums and other interesting stuff is "blocked", much to my chargrin, but here I am. Let's hope the administrators don't notice.

Have seen quite a few games this year and am very impressed with our team. Damn, that Suns game will go down as one of the greatest ever, surely!

If I had the money, I'd skip town and be in the 7th row at the SBC again by March, but unfortunately life gets in the way. Thankfully, we will have this nucleus together for quite a few more years so I should be coming to see you again in a year or two. However, I have a really good feeling about this year and would love to be a part of what might happen... (maybe lottery tickets are the go?)

Hope Tim sits out the AS Game. He looks in need of some real rest, and I'd rather see him get it now than during the March and April run to the playoffs.

Anyway, just thought I'd shove my head in the door, and I will pop by frequently. Hope you are all happy and healthy.

Cheers,

RnROS

Kori Ellis
02-15-2005, 01:28 AM
Hey Matt. Great to hear from you. I'm glad things are going well. How much longer are you going to be in Japan?

Duh, I just re-read your post -- you said July.

Guru of Nothing
02-15-2005, 01:33 AM
This was a pleasant surprise.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Hey Kori, Guru. :)

Yeah, I feel like I've been missing a long time. Japan sorta does that to ya...

Honestly, can't wait to get out of here. There are some things to like about Japan, but a lot that drives me crazy, and right now I feel like I'm in limbo waiting to get on with my real life. I have a contract that goes until July, then I'm on the first plane out of here!

I'm hoping to get into some sort of work involving renewable energy or something environmental, and work on a Masters at the same time. Would love to get back to SA for at least a holiday ASAP but reality may mean that's 2 years away. Them's tha breaks.

Anyway, better get going. Have a rum'n'coke for me, and say hi for me to anyone who'd want to hear it but doesn't get on the net. See you again soon.

timvp
02-15-2005, 01:41 AM
What's up, playa? You need to come back to SA soon. Those were some classic times the last time you made it down here.

Hope everything is well with you even though you've done a poor job of keeping us updated throughout the years :)

Cheers.

:drunk

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Yo TimVP, I have done a shitty job keepin in touch, haven't I!? Sorry about that bro. :depressed

But as for rockin times, undoubtedly! Best time I've ever had actually. That entire holiday was just gold, gold, gold. Hopefully I'll be able to do it again in '06 or '07. Will let ya know well beforehand. ;)

How's your ballin'? I tore ligaments in both ankles in the last 6 months (owwwwww!), but before that was playing the best ball I ever have, training 3 days a week with my HS team. The coach is an ex-Japan player, and they are fanatical about their sport over here. The kids train 7 days a week (for 2-3 hours a session).

The team at my school, although undersized, are excellent breakers and fierce defenders, and are ranked 3rd out of 80 or so in the Prefecture (state). Japan would definitely produce more NBA players if they were bigger people because the coaching is generally good, and the commitment level amazing. Quite a surprise.

Many other surprises in Japan. I might try to put up a thread every once in a while detailing the things you find here that you don't expect...

Anyway, take care buddy. :fro

MannyIsGod
02-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey Matt!

Glad to hear you are doing well, I wondered where you had disappeared off too.

SpursWoman
02-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Matt!! :elephant :makeout :)

mattyc
02-15-2005, 02:47 AM
RuffnReadyOzStyle! Long time no read mate!

What's the beer like in Japan? :lol

Keep representing for Down Under mate.

alamo50
02-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Good to read from you again Matt!
Sorry to hear things at what you expected them to be in Japan mate.......

Keep those posts coming!

MI21
02-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Sup' Ruff?

Matty already stole my question, how's the beer? :lol

Take it easy cobber.

GrandeDavid
02-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Oz, what's kickin! Have a sake or fifty for me, okay? Thanks!

Go Spurs!

Phenomanul
02-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Wow this thread went international fast...

Starts off in Japan... U.S..... "Down Under" (mattyc)....Europe (Holland - Alamo50)... South America(Brazil - GrandeDavid)

Forums are something else!!!!!

Solid D
02-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey Matt,
Glad you could touch base again. I hope things go well for you in your work there!

NZHayden
02-15-2005, 09:37 AM
umm how do the japs say hello?
KONITCHIWA!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Heya guys! Thought you may have forgotten about me, but the response to this thread has been great.

Beer in Japan - not very good at all, boys! Overly dry and not particularly tasty... sh1t, actually. Can't wait to get home and drink the real stuff again! Over here I mostly drink rum, vodka, ume-shu (plum sake), and awamori (local Okinawan whiskey - tastes like paint thinner to start with, but becomes surprisingly tasty over the long haul).

From the bottle shop, alcohol is amazingly cheap here - basic spirits are about Aus$12 a bottle!!! Bars are expensive. Luckily, I know a couple of Canadians here who own a place and they pour them pretty stiff and don't charge me too much.

Living in Japan is very, very disconcerting at times - just recently I've been thinking about the soon to be 2 year-gap in my brain concerning music, popular culture, and a whole bunch of other things I've had no access to over here. I don't have a TV (and TV here is crap anyway - all cooking and variety shows), J-Pop dominates the radio, it's A$20 to go to the movies, and I don't have the net at home... I feel like I've faded away to a certain extent to be replaced by Japan-Matt who is different and not nearly so much fun... I have to leave here soon.

Anyway, enough of that, question for matty and mi21 - did you make a pilgrimage to SA yet???

mouse
02-17-2005, 03:12 AM
We never forget a Spurs fan, and being the resident Aussie Spurs fan your reputation will live on for years to come. Make sure you post pictures now and then so the new posters don't think your just another screen name and your posting from some local trailer park here in San Antonio.

Japan !!! ? Is there weed in that country? How is the Mexican food?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Hahahaha, mouse, peace brother! Good stuff. I really regret two things about my trip to SA - that I didn't grab my chance to go to the practice facility (you idiot!), and that I never got to meet your crazy self. Next time for both, eh?

I am going to get a digital camera soon, then I'll put up some photos.

No weed here :depressed (and VERY tough laws - a feudal legal system in which you can basically be beaten until you confess and have very few rights, especially as a gaijin ["foreigner"]), although the Mexican food is surprisingly good. One guy owns three resteraunts that make great breakfast burritoes and quesadillas. Oh how I miss the wonder of Taco Cabana though!

Later dude, and thanks for the shout-out! :spin

mouse
02-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Dude how was I to know you was really from down under?

You really think Tonto posts from his tee pee? How is the Crime? Litter? and Weather?

Faccia di Angelo
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Hey Ruff! Wow.. Its been so long since I've seen you around. You probably don't remember me but I totally remember you! :lol Its good to hear you are doing well and hopefully we get to see more of you. Take care and have fun!

Rummpd
02-17-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm hoping to get into some sort of work involving renewable energy or something environmental, and work on a Masters at the same time. Would love to get back to SA for at least a holiday ASAP but reality may mean that's 2 years away. Them's tha breaks.[B]

Send me a private post if you might consider pursuing a Masters in Public Health concentrating in Environmental Health, the Chair of the Dept (Dr. Arthur Frank, at Malik's old College, Drexel) is a world leader in the field and most students work. At our school, whose mission is promoting social justice etc., students spend the 2nd year working in the field getting practical experience a lot of the time. If not at Drexel, a MPH is a "hot degree" now due to terrorism preparedness etc. We also have another department at the university , environmental engineering ran by a friend of mine, Dr. Charles Haas, that is also a very much in demand degree.

alamo50
02-17-2005, 08:39 AM
I didn't grab my chance to go to the practice facility (you idiot!)

I will never understand why you turned down my friend's offer.

GrandeDavid
02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Mouse, there probably is Mexican food in Tokyo, and a plate of three small enchiladas probably will cost you US$50, at least. A watered-down Corona Mexican beer will cost you about US$10 a bottle.

exstatic
02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Ruff! 'Sup, playa? You and Alamo blazed a mighty trail of international visitors. Can't wait to see you back here again.

genghisrex
02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping to get into some sort of work involving renewable energy or something environmental, and work on a Masters at the same time.
Hey, that's what I'm doing now. Well, I'm not working in renewable energy, but I'm finishing up my Masters in Environmental Management this semester. If you have any questions about grad school let me know and I'll see if I can help.

mouse
02-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Mouse, there probably is Mexican food in Tokyo, and a plate of three small enchiladas probably will cost you US$50, at least. A watered-down Corona Mexican beer will cost you about US$10 a bottle.

maybe that is why Toyota is coming to San Antonio , For the Mexican food.

SequSpur
02-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Ruff is the coolest foreigner there is. The rest of you can go fly a kite.

exstatic
02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
We wouldn't do that, Sequ, knowing your natural aversion to heights. :lol

mattyc
02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I don't have a TV (and TV here is crap anyway - all cooking and variety shows),
Super-fun happy family wish show! :lol

awamori (local Okinawan whiskey - tastes like paint thinner to start with, but becomes surprisingly tasty over the long haul).
:drunk :drunk

Anyway, enough of that, question for matty and mi21 - did you make a pilgrimage to SA yet???
Not yet mate - it's definitely something that will happen one day though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-21-2005, 01:00 AM
mouse: crime - none. Literally the safest place in the world. Probably the greatest thing about Japan, you always feel safe.
Litter - it's very clean, although most rubbish is burned, most of the country has been concreted (incl. coastlines and riverbeds), and pollution is a great concern, so the fact that they keep the streets clean is less marvelous than you'd think.
Weather - in Okinawa there are 3 season - April-October: pissing sweat (drink 10L of water/day or you'll die). November/March: dripping sweat (5L will keep you alive). Dec-Feb: cool, but with a wind that makes it biting sometimes... you might have to wear a sweater then! Always humid!

Faccia - not under that handle I don't, but maybe with a little prodding...

Alamo50 - I know dude, I know!!!!! Just call it a brain explosion!!!!! I still can't believe I was that stupid myself. I sometimes have nightmares about it, I am not joking.

Rummpd/genghisrex - will contact, am interested.

GrandeDavid - eating out is surprisingly inexpensive in Japan! You can get something edible for about $5 just about anywhere, and something really nice for $15-20 a head if you know where to go. It's the supermarkets that kill ya - $4 an apple!!!

Ex/Sequ - heeeeeey! Thanks guys. Believe me, would love to come back right now. Damn life! It keeps getting in the way!

Man In Black
02-21-2005, 02:28 AM
RNR. 2 Words. Proxy Server.

There are plenty out there that can help you get past that stupid firewall.