PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Popovich In No Rush To Make Roster Cuts

duncan228
10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Edited to include piece on Bonner that was put in updated version.

Spurs' Popovich in no rush to make roster cuts (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Popovich_in_no_rush_to_make_roster_cuts.html )
By Jeff McDonald

Five games into the preseason, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich still hasn't trimmed his training camp roster — and might not anytime soon.

There are seven players — Anthony Tolliver, Salim Stoudamire, Darryl Watkins, Desmon Farmer, Malik Hairston, Devin Green and Charles Gaines — competing for a maximum of two roster spots.

Popovich has until the beginning of the NBA season to cut the roster to 15, and is in no hurry to do so. The coach is taking his time for three reasons.

“We want to make sure we're not making a mistake, and we want to make (the players) feel like they've gotten a really good chance to show what they can do,” Popovich said before Saturday's game against Indiana.

And thirdly?

“I'm a coward,” he said. “It's hard to tell a young kid who has worked as hard as these guys we're not going to keep you. Until I have to do it, I'm not going to do it.”

Bonner's motivation: It should come as no surprise that Matt Bonner had another good shooting night Saturday. After all, he loves his Boston Red Sox.

After going 6 of 7 and scoring 15 points in Thursday's victory at Cleveland, Spurs staffers joked the Bonner's hot shooting coincided with the Red Sox's comeback from seven runs down in Game 5 of the American League championship series. With the Red Sox back in action Saturday, the joke returned for an encore.

“Everyone kept saying, ‘You have to shoot well so the Red Sox will win,'” Bonner said.

Bonner obliged, and so did his beloved Boston. Bonner scored another 15 points against the Pacers, going 5 of 9 from the field with three 3-pointers. Meanwhile, the Red Sox took Game 6 over Tampa Bay 4-2.

Hill update: Rookie point guard George Hill will undergo further tests Monday on his sprained left wrist.

If the results confirm what team doctors already believe — the joint has no structural damage — Hill could return in time for the Spurs' preseason finale against Miami on Oct. 24.

Hill, the Spurs' first-round draft pick in June, missed his second consecutive game with the injury Saturday.

Thomas feeling fine: Center/forward Kurt Thomas played his third game since returning from a strained hamstring. Anything, he surmises, is better than riding the infernal stationary bike he was attached to for the first two weeks of the season.

“It was definitely good to get back, run up and down with my teammates, and get away from that bike,” Thomas said. “It was good to be back on the floor versus the bike-a-thon.”

Welcome back, Rasho: A familiar name echoed through the AT&T Center during the introduction of Saturday's starting lineups.

Rasho Nesterovic.

Nesterovic played for the Spurs from 2003-2006, winning an NBA title in 2005. After a two-year stint in Toronto, he was traded to Indiana in the Jermaine O'Neal deal over the offseason.

On Saturday, Nesterovic, now 32, was Indiana's starting center — and played long enough to pick up a technical foul in his old home gym.

duncan228
10-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm a coward

:lmao

benefactor
10-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Watkins, Green and Gaines are most certainly gone...so that leaves Stoudamire, Tolliver, Hairston and Farmer. Tolliver keeps shooting bad(3-11) but doing other things good(8 rebounds, 4 offensive and 3 steals). Stoudamire also shot 3-11, but did have 4 assists. But for him I think the assists matter little. He needs to show he can score the ball if he plans to make the roster. Hairston was lack luster again. If he isn't careful he could work his way off the roster...because Farmer is acting like he really wants to be there. In almost the same amount of time as Hairston he had 14 points and was 4-8 from distance. He is probably better at creating his own shot that any of the other swingman prospects...kind of a poor mans Capt. Jack. I am starting to lean towards keeping him over Hairston.

As of right now...Farmer and Tolliver IMO.

It will be good to hear some thoughts from those who actually went to the game.

honestfool84
10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
[B]On Saturday, Nesterovic, now 32, was Indiana's starting center — and played long enough to pick up a technical foul in his old home gym.

you don't see him upset that often.

angelbelow
10-19-2008, 12:02 AM
lol was rasho so mad?

timvp
10-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Rasho got called for a defensive three seconds violation in the first quarter. I'm assuming that's where McDonald got his "technical" from.

Blackjack
10-19-2008, 12:24 AM
It seems like Tolliver is all but a lock, so I'm wondering how much Manu's injury is going to play in how they decide between Hairston and Farmer.

Hairston is the better prospect and more well-rounded player, but with Manu out this team could really use a slashing scorer. I don't remember Farmer ever being this good of a shooter, so I'm still a little skeptical, but if he keeps this up it's going to be hard to cut him. He's a tough kid who would seem to fill a need, I'd just hate to lose Hairston. Hopefully, they'll find a way to get him on the Toros or be able to retain his rights if they do go with Farmer.

Ice009
10-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Is Green still in the running? I mean maybe Pop decided to sit him tonight and give him more time next game where as one of the others gets a set for the next one. Maybe they are all still in the running except Gaines and Pop will play Watkins, Green and Stoudamire more next game. This is a darn fun training camp.

Biggems
10-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Look at Bonner having two good games in a row....why cant he play like this during the regular season. Nope, instead he does nothing more than keep Duncan's seat warm for when timeouts are called.

He does just enough to keep himself around.....I want him gone in the worst way. I was gung ho about bringing him in. I liked his hustle and outside shooting. However, he has no consistency and his heart is not in SA, it is in Toronto. I would rather try someone else for the end of the bench.....Tolliver and Watkins.

Vaughn needs to go as well. He can't shoot for crap. He also has careless turnovers. Part of me wants Salim, but if I had to choose between he and Farmer, I take Farmer.

So subtract Bonner and Vaughn

Add Farmer, Hairston, Tolliver, Watkins.

duncan228
10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Updated.

Jeff McDonald: Pop putting off roster cuts (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_p_18.html)

If Gregg Popovich had his way, the NBA would allow him to keep 20 players on his regular-season roster. That way, he wouldn't have to face his fear and cut anybody.

"I'm a coward," the Spurs coach said before Saturday's preseason game against Indiana. "It's hard to tell a young kid who has worked as hard as these guys we're not going to keep you. Until I have to do it, I'm not going to do it."

It isn't uncommon for players on the bubble to try and avoid the head coach during cut time. This might be the first instance of the coach hiding out from the players.

The Spurs have until Oc.t 27 to whittle their roster down to 15. There are essentially seven players wrestling over a maximum of two roster spots.

Those players -- Salim Stoudamire, Anthony Tolliver, Desmon Farmer, Malik Hairston, Darryl Watkins, Devin Green and Charles Gaines -- will have two more preseason games to make their case. Popovich has his work cut out, because this year's class of camp filler is probably the best the Spurs have ever welcomed.

Without claiming to be clairvoyant, here is our best guess what that 15-man roster might look like after D-Day comes.

PG -- Tony Parker/Jacque Vaughn/George Hill/Stoudamire
SG -- Manu Ginobili/Michael Finley/Roger Mason
SF -- Bruce Bowen/Ime Udoka
PF -- Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner/Tolliver
C -- Kurt Thomas/Fabricio Oberto/Ian Mahinmi

Couple of things here ... Yes, those are a lot of point guards. The Spurs can probably get away with carrying four, because Stoudamire and, to a lesser extent, Hill are versatile enough to play off-guard in certain situations.

Also, yes, Tolliver's game looks a lot like Bonner's. But Popovich generally prefers to keep two outside-shooting bigs. The thinking here is Bonner will take over Robert Horry's role from last year, while Tolliver would take Bonner's. And if Tolliver outplays Bonner, those two roles could reverse.

Again, this is all just a guess. We'll have to wait for Popovich to work up the nerve to make some cuts before we know for sure.

Ice009
10-19-2008, 12:44 AM
No Farmer, Watkins or Hairston on that roster. I think that is just too many short guards.

The only way I want Tolliver on the team is if he can Hustle, rebound and play defense against guys like David West. I don't want him on the team for his shooting only. You need a big man that can actually play like a big man. What does Popovich want? Bigs that can jack up shots like guards?

Manufan909
10-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Updated.

Jeff McDonald: Pop putting off roster cuts (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_p_18.html)

If Gregg Popovich had his way, the NBA would allow him to keep 20 players on his regular-season roster. That way, he wouldn't have to face his fear and cut anybody.

"I'm a coward," the Spurs coach said before Saturday's preseason game against Indiana. "It's hard to tell a young kid who has worked as hard as these guys we're not going to keep you. Until I have to do it, I'm not going to do it."

It isn't uncommon for players on the bubble to try and avoid the head coach during cut time. This might be the first instance of the coach hiding out from the players.

The Spurs have until Oc.t 27 to whittle their roster down to 15. There are essentially seven players wrestling over a maximum of two roster spots.

Those players -- Salim Stoudamire, Anthony Tolliver, Desmon Farmer, Malik Hairston, Darryl Watkins, Devin Green and Charles Gaines -- will have two more preseason games to make their case. Popovich has his work cut out, because this year's class of camp filler is probably the best the Spurs have ever welcomed.

Without claiming to be clairvoyant, here is our best guess what that 15-man roster might look like after D-Day comes.

PG -- Tony Parker/Jacque Vaughn/George Hill/Stoudamire
SG -- Manu Ginobili/Michael Finley/Roger Mason
SF -- Bruce Bowen/Ime Udoka
PF -- Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner/Tolliver
C -- Kurt Thomas/Fabricio Oberto/Ian Mahinmi

Couple of things here ... Yes, those are a lot of point guards. The Spurs can probably get away with carrying four, because Stoudamire and, to a lesser extent, Hill are versatile enough to play off-guard in certain situations.

Also, yes, Tolliver's game looks a lot like Bonner's. But Popovich generally prefers to keep two outside-shooting bigs. The thinking here is Bonner will take over Robert Horry's role from last year, while Tolliver would take Bonner's. And if Tolliver outplays Bonner, those two roles could reverse.

Again, this is all just a guess. We'll have to wait for Popovich to work up the nerve to make some cuts before we know for sure.

After seeing the game, I DON'T want Salim, but it's only been one pre-season game. I'd still go with Watkins and Hairston over Salim and Tolliver. Hairston might only be Toros material, but I'd still pick him over Farmer, Green, and Salim. Still can't see why Pop is high on Tolliver.

barbacoataco
10-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I don't understand that roster. 4 point guards and way too thin on 6'6"-6'9" tweeners. The way I see it, there is no way all 4 pg's could be on the active roster at the same time anyway. So why carry someone like Stoudamire for "insurance" when they already have Vaughn? Also, Mason can play as a point guard if needed. That's what he actually played for the Wizards. The Spurs have plenty of point guard options considering they have Parker as a starter.

I am thinking possibility of a trade involving one of these guys, switching a PG for a big would bring balance. It just doesn't look like the final roster. But what the hell do I know?

Ice009
10-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Magic need a point guard after Wilks going down. Maybe the could use Vaughn?

DPG21920
10-19-2008, 01:44 AM
I just hope there is nothing wrong with Hill. He has looked the best out of any of the new guys and I hope he can make an impact.

polandprzem
10-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Hill update: Rookie point guard George Hill will undergo further tests Monday on his sprained left wrist.

Wasn't that a thumb?

And if he will be back at the preseason finale that will be fantastic.
I still thinks he is lock as a backup for Tony. He must be.

Spurs Brazil
10-19-2008, 07:28 AM
We need to keep Farmer, especially with Manu out.

It'll be those nights when Finley and Mason can't hit anything. Ime can't score in the preseason. Farmer can create some offense when nobody can score.

urunobili
10-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Farmer please

SenorSpur
10-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Look at Bonner having two good games in a row....why cant he play like this during the regular season. Nope, instead he does nothing more than keep Duncan's seat warm for when timeouts are called.

Had a thought on yesterday about Bonner. I know Pop prefer to keep 2 shooting big -so the claims in the article make sense. Could it be the Spurs are possibly showcasing him for a potential pre-regular season trade?

spurs50_
10-19-2008, 08:28 AM
It was hard for Bonner to have the type of games he had recently because when Pop would put him in it would be garbage time. Instead he opted to play Horry who had to get out of his wheelchair in order to get in the game. Bonner will surprise many in here.

DROB4EVER
10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Tuff call for Pops......I really like Watkins Hairston and Stoutamire.....if we keep bonner Tolliver is really redundant........Watkins gives us a young shot blocker which we need but I think he will be the first cut.

Farmer can score but Hairston has been such a good defender and can do a lot of things so I think he has the inside track. Stoutamire proved to me he can run the point, score and defend a bit. We need to just dump vaughn to open up a roster spot and keep these three.

ducks
10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I think he should cut two soon
or is he hoping toros can sign the ones they do not want

ducks
10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Tuff call for Pops......I really like Watkins Hairston and Stoutamire.....if we keep bonner Tolliver is really redundant........Watkins gives us a young shot blocker which we need but I think he will be the first cut.

Farmer can score but Hairston has been such a good defender and can do a lot of things so I think he has the inside track. Stoutamire proved to me he can run the point, score and defend a bit. We need to just dump vaughn to open up a roster spot and keep these three.
stouamire can not play point
he played against 3 strings at point

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Salim Stoudamire is GARBAGE..he's honestly useless for our team..the knock on Farmer is that he's too small, and Stoudamire is even smaller than him..you can say that Farmer is a 2, but Stoudamire is a 2 in a 1's body anyways..he can't play PG effectively in the NBA, and he doesn't play defense anyways..he doesn't really have anything that Farmer can't give us..

I don't want Tolliver, unless Bonner is gone..I don't want both, it's pointless..

I'd keep Farmer and Hairston..maybe it's just me, but I want both..I feel like they can both excel playing with our big 3 and our system, especially Hairston..he makes our defense even better..

Manufan909
10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Salim Stoudamire is GARBAGE..he's honestly useless for our team..the knock on Farmer is that he's too small, and Stoudamire is even smaller than him..you can say that Farmer is a 2, but Stoudamire is a 2 in a 1's body anyways..he can't play PG effectively in the NBA, and he doesn't play defense anyways..he doesn't really have anything that Farmer can't give us..

I don't want Tolliver, unless Bonner is gone..I don't want both, it's pointless..

I'd keep Farmer and Hairston..maybe it's just me, but I want both..I feel like they can both excel playing with our big 3 and our system, especially Hairston..he makes our defense even better..

+1 Ihope Tolliver, Gaines and Stoud are the first to be cut. It would be nice if all seven got 20 or more minutes in the next game, IMO they should all have equal time to show their stuff. Instead, Tolliver is on th floor the whole damn time it seems. Watkins hasn't had a chance to show what he is capable of.

tav1
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Orlando does have roster space and big enough trade exception. He would make sense there are a 3rd point....I don't think Utah has the space or money to bring in JV.

kobyz
10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Parker/Hill/Vaughn(Stoudamire)
Ginobili/Mason/farmer/Hairston
Bowen /Finley/Udoka
Duncan/Oberto/Bonner(Tolliver)
Thomas/Mahinmi

exstatic
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Parker/Hill/Vaughn(Stoudamire)
Ginobili/Mason/farmer/Hairston
Bowen /Finley/Udoka
Duncan/Oberto/Bonner(Tolliver)
Thomas/Mahinmi

You're not reading Pop's quotes. Tolliver is a mortal lock, barring injury. He's the exact tweener type of athletic forward they've been looking for for like 4 years. Salim, Hairston, and Farmer are all fighting for that last spot.

SenorSpur
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
You're not reading Pop's quotes. Tolliver is a mortal lock, barring injury. He's the exact tweener type of athletic forward they've been looking for for like 4 years. Salim, Hairston, and Farmer are all fighting for that last spot.

Agreed on Tolliver.

As for the 2-3 guy, Farmer is the better scorer, but I believe Hairston is the better fit over the long haul because of his all-around ability.

exstatic
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Agreed on Tolliver.

As for the 2-3 guy, Farmer is the better scorer, but I believe Hairston is the better fit over the long haul because of his all-around ability.

Whoever makes those last two spots is going to be spending beaucoup time in Austin like Ian did last year. It doesn't do the youngsters any good to sit in a suit for 82 games. I don't think the wing player has any chance for minutes. Hill should supplant Vaughn and Tolliver has a shot to sit Bonner.

SenorSpur
10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm really wanting to see Watkins make it along with the other two. Mainly because of his shotblocking ability and paint presence. I've sort of given up on the idea of him making the sqaud.