PDA

View Full Version : Thumb injury slows Ex-IUPUI star Hill

Spurs Brazil
10-19-2008, 07:33 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081019/SPORTS04/810190375/1088/SPORTS04

Thumb injury slows Ex-IUPUI star Hill
Ex-IUPUI star and Spurs rookie guard was doing well until getting hurt
By Mike Wells
Posted: October 19, 2008Read Comments(2)Recommend E-mail Print Share Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Yahoo Google A A

SAN ANTONIO -- The transition to the NBA was going a lot smoother than expected for San Antonio Spurs rookie guard George Hill.

The former Broad Ripple High School and IUPUI star's quick grasp of the NBA has been one of the highlights of the preseason for the Spurs.

But then it happened.

Hill, all 6-3 of him, went into the paint for a rebound in a game last week against the Detroit Pistons only to go down court with a sprained left thumb after getting hit by somebody's elbow.

The thumb injury has caused Hill to miss the previous two preseason games, including Saturday's contest against his hometown team, the Indiana Pacers.

"My reaction was to stay humbled and focused," Hill said before doing some on-court work Saturday. "Any player is going to get mad if he doesn't get to play because that's how competitive I am. I always want to be out there."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Hill is expected to undergo an MRI on his thumb Monday now that the swelling has gone down. They hope he can play in the preseason finale against Miami on Friday.

Hill's injury is just a minor speed bump in what looks like a promising career for the No. 26 pick in last summer's draft.

Hill's work ethic and commitment to improve every day has earned him a lot of praise.

"I've been impressed," Popovich said. "More than anything, he's obviously an absolute NBA defender. He does a great job defensively. He's got a knack for steals, deflections, getting a piece of the ball here and there. He really understands that side of the court. Secondly, I'm really impressed with his mental toughness; he's not intimated by anything. He's got a great demeanor about him."

Hill is going through a transition period as all rookies do. His transition, however, is a little steeper than some because he didn't play at a major Division I program and he's also learning how to play point guard after predominately playing off the ball at IUPUI.

"I was mainly an off guard in college," Hill said. "Trying to run a team and remember everything is the toughest part. The game is a lot quicker with a lot more possessions because of a shorter shot clock."

Hill couldn't have a better mentor to learn from than veteran Tony Parker, one of the league's elite point guards, and Jacque Vaughn, who has never been flashy but has been a very consistent player throughout his career.

Hill, who passed up his senior season at IUPUI to enter the draft, is averaging 8.0 points, 3.3 assists, 2.3 steals and 2.0 turnovers in 19 minutes a game in the preseason. He's competing with Vaughn for minutes backing up Parker this season.

"We're turning him into (a point guard) and that's a tough transition," Popovich said. "That process will take time. In certain situations we've gotten on him a little bit more and tried to get him to focus and tried to get him to understand that the position is a bear to learn and it comes with a lot of responsibility.

"That's a lot to throw on a guy that hasn't played the position, really. He's really improved leaps and bounds since the summer time."

Hill said he doesn't lean on just his fellow point guards. He prefers to pick the brains of every player on the roster because the Spurs are a veteran team that is a title contender on a regular basis.

"This is a very first class organization," Hill said. "Every teammate is a great person on and off the court. . . . It's a team, it's a family."

SenorSpur
10-19-2008, 07:59 AM
SAN ANTONIO -- The transition to the NBA was going a lot smoother than expected for San Antonio Spurs rookie guard George Hill.

But then it happened.

Hill, all 6-3 of him, went into the paint for a rebound in a game last week against the Detroit Pistons only to go down court with a sprained left thumb after getting hit by somebody's elbow.

I didn't know the kid was 6'3"

T Park
10-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Hill is quickly becoming my favorite player.

picnroll
10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
What happened to Mr Body? He use to hang out a lot in Hill threads.

DMX7
10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I've only seen him play in summer league games and he often looked like the worst player on the court. I'm sure he'll be ok but he needs to at least prove it to me before I call him a player I even like. Right now, he's just a good story, he hasn't done anything.

jayc23
10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
lol I remember when I get flamed for saying Hill was going to improve alot just in training camp... "what you think hes going to go from playing bad against summer league trash to good against NBA players in a few weeks"... yet again.. fuck you seguspur .. you fail again

Tully365
10-19-2008, 03:19 PM
"I've been impressed," Popovich said. "More than anything, he's obviously an absolute NBA defender. He does a great job defensively. He's got a knack for steals, deflections, getting a piece of the ball here and there. He really understands that side of the court. Secondly, I'm really impressed with his mental toughness; he's not intimated by anything. He's got a great demeanor about him."

That's it, in a nutshell. I'm convinced that Hill will help the Spurs on both sides of the court-- like Pop said he would in that first interview after the draft-- and be a real contributor come playoff time.

Harry Callahan
10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
If this guy can approximate a guy from the past - Alvin Robertson - I would be delighted.

That would be a tall order. I hope he can get in the neighborhood at some point down the line.

DPG21920
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
He kind of reminds me of a Rondo/Devin Harris, with a little better stroke. If he can turn into that, it could really help the Spurs. He might not be as quick as those two, but he is very athletic. He can shoot better than both, but he is a little erratic and out of control around the rim.

Marco
10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Hill is the steal of the draft, no question.

exstatic
10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
If this guy can approximate a guy from the past - Alvin Robertson - I would be delighted.

That would be a tall order. I hope he can get in the neighborhood at some point down the line.

Fat Lever would be a good goal. They're both 6'3" PGs with great rebounding rates.

Vorg
10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Hill is the steal of the draft, no question.
I hope this is true.

#2!
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
He kind of reminds me of a Rondo/Devin Harris

I agree, I think this was a replacement pick for when the spurs tried to get Rondo in the draft a couple years back(or so the rumor goes). Hopefully he's not being overestimated b/c of his preseason play, but one thing is for sure, he can definitely play some D. His game/body might compare to these guys but more importantly he'll be slowing them down all season long, while tony gets the rest he'll need trying to make up for Manu. But not just Rondo, and Harris, but all the great pg's in the league, and especially the up and coming ones/backups(Kidd, Paul, Williams(though he might not be strong enough), Stuckey, Farmar, etc...)

polandprzem
10-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Promising art

We will see what we can get from him.
I took him in the fantasy (dynasty mode) so hopefully he will be able to steal some balls and hit with good fg% :)

SenorSpur
10-20-2008, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't go that far. Robertson was highly decorated an highly accomplished at both the collegiate and professional levels. This is not saying Hill isn't talented, but Robertson was so good that the Spurs traded away fading franchise icon George Gervin to make way for Robertson to start.

With all due respects to Hill's talent, I don't see him having that kind of immediate impact, as a backup PG. Or the king of long-term impact where he becomes so good, that he makes TP expendable.

wildbill2u
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen him since the summer league games on TV. Has he been able to learn to finish at the basket better? He was missing open layups a lot in the SL.

DPG21920
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen him since the summer league games on TV. Has he been able to learn to finish at the basket better? He was missing open layups a lot in the SL.

He is still struggling around the rim, which is why I said he reminds me of a Harris/Rondo. They both struggle around the rim, but have improved a little as the years have gone by. The important thing is that he is getting to the rim. He has the athletic ability. He just needs to learn how to control his body, which playing with Tony Parker should help him greatly in that regard.