PDA

View Full Version : Lehman takes helm as sports editor for E-N

Spurs Brazil
10-19-2008, 07:42 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/31239174.html

Lehman takes helm as sports editor for E-N

Bryan Chu - Express-News Former Express-News business editor Brad Lehman just completed his first week as sports editor after the departure of Steve Quintana, who took a position as executive producer of NBA.com in Atlanta.

“I'm taking over for a guy who has been a strong leader and someone who has been here a long time,” Lehman said. “My main goals are to continue to have a really strong Sports section, to be a presence on mySA.com and a known resource through the Web for sports.”

Though Lehman, 48, is venturing into a new chapter in his career, he has a proven record as an editor and is excited about the opportunity and the possibilities that lie ahead.

“It's going to be a great time for me and for Sports,” Lehman said. “There are a lot of things happening on the Web, in Texas and in San Antonio. With UIW starting a football program, UTSA moving to get a football program, and the Spurs, it's a very good time to be in Sports.”

During his three-year tenure as business editor at the Express-News, Lehman helped turn the Real Estate section into the No. 2 section in the country, as selected by the National Association of Real Estate Editors.

Before arriving in San Antonio, Lehman had 15 successful years at the Miami Herald as an editor for Business, Metro and Neighbors. He was involved in the coverage of the Elian Gonzalez crisis, the 2000 presidential election, the Western Hemisphere trade ministers' meeting, the constant barrage of hurricanes and the booming real estate market. Lehman also edited and wrote for the papers in Norfolk, Va.

Born in Pasadena, Calif., Lehman graduated in 1982 with a journalism degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia, which is where he met his wife, Gigi, who is a freelance journalist. They have two daughters, Hilary, a senior at the University of Florida (majoring in journalism) and Carolyn, a freshman at the University of Missouri-Columbia (majoring in accounting).

Outdoors writing was Lehman's first passion. He is a Los Angeles Dodgers and Lakers fan. Lehman's interests are mainly in college sports, pro football, major league baseball and the NBA.