PDA

View Full Version : Nba.com - Ranking the offseason moves - Spurs 27th

eisfeld
10-19-2008, 04:03 PM
source (http://http://cache.nba.com/2008/news/features/10/18/offseason.movement.2630/index.html)

27) SAN ANTONIO SPURS

2007-08 RECORD: 56-26, second place, Southwest, lost in second round

KEY ACQUISITIONS: G Roger Mason (UFA, Washington), G George Hill (27th pick, first round)

KEY RE-SIGNINGS: None

KEY LOSSES: G Brent Barry (UFA, signed with Houston), F Robert Horry (retired)

PROJECTION: Is it this simple: Manu Ginobili was hurt, and that's why the Spurs lost their title? With their clutchest of clutch players not his usual dynamic self, San Antonio was quick work for the Lakers in the second round. The Spurs are counting a return to form from Ginobili, who played for his native Argentina in the Olympics, but just to be safe, they brought in the solid Mason, who can play both guard spots, from the Wizards.

They're also counting on Ian Mahimi, their first-rounder two years ago, to be ready to provide some minutes up front. Otherwise, the Spurs roll along, with Tim Duncan looking terrific last season following a summer off, and Tony Parker coming back from an early-season injury to play great against Phoenix in the first round.

And, the upcoming season is odd-numbered. Which means the Spurs (champions in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007, but never able to repeat during their era of dominance) are shoo-ins for the championship.

Seems TNT analyst David Aldridge doesn't remember either the first round against Phoenix or the second round against the Hornets.

Considering re-signings as being vital for ranking the offseason the list is quite good. Although I don't see how Portland ended up in the Top 5.

Feel free to delete if the topic is buried somewhere deep in the board's oblivion.

Darkwaters
10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Key re-signings: None

Hmmm. No mention of Kurt Thomas? And not Finley (although, who can blame him there?). This guy needs to check his facts before submitting something as fact.

exstatic
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
How many moves do you have to make when your last two seasons resulted in a Ch'ip and a trip to the WCFs?

Rynospursfan
10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Your link doesn't work.

duncan228
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Your link doesn't work.

Try this one:

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/10/18/offseason.movement.2630/index.html

Rynospursfan
10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Try this one:

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/10/18/offseason.movement.2630/index.html

Thanks

lefty
10-19-2008, 05:05 PM
How many moves do you have to make when your last two seasons resulted in a Ch'ip and a trip to the WCFs?

+1

Tully365
10-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Robert Horry was a key loss? Last year, all of the experts said he and the Spurs were old and the Spurs needed to get younger...

bdictjames
10-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I smell a Spurs hater.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I smell a Spurs hater.

David Aldridge? Wrong.

InRareForm
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
David Alridge had too much plum juice when he wrote that.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM
You guys are insane, this whole forum went nuts over how poor the offseason was.

I mean, the Spurs are relying on Roger Mason Jr as the difference between a finals appearance or an early round exit. Hard to argue with Aldridge's analysis.

Tully365
10-19-2008, 10:42 PM
You guys are insane, this whole forum went nuts over how poor the offseason was.

I mean, the Spurs are relying on Roger Mason Jr as the difference between a finals appearance or an early round exit. Hard to argue with Aldridge's analysis.

I didn't go nuts at all. Aside from letting Gist leave, I agreed with everything the Spurs did this off season. The Spurs are relying on a healthy Manu Ginobili, a serious upgrade at b/u PG, Mahinmi, and Roger Mason as the difference between last year and this year. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Allanon
10-20-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't think you can really grade the Spurs offseason moves, because they really didn't do anything. It's pretty much status quo. Aldridge is right in saying they didn't do anything significant but maybe staying put was significant in itself...very much the same as the Lakers.

I think the Spurs FO is making their last gamble. They feel, as alot of Spur fans do, that they were only a couple of games away from the Finals. They think they were just some good luck away from another Finals appearance and that there's nothing really wrong with the team.

After the WCF, from the way they addressed it all, I had a feeling they wouldn't make much in terms of wholesale changes.

Their strategy was to stand pat, either they win it all or next year they'll REALLY make some changes, you can't really "grade" something like that. That said, I think they'll have one more roster tuneup before the trade deadline.

mrspurs
10-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Agreed. Oh and Kurts gonna anchor a defense that ranks at the top year and year out. :lol How bout just saying we slow the games down so ya dont score as much instead of comparing stats that didnt show up this past PO's. Im no hater but when the truth hurts man up to it. Here come thoses player pom poms:rollin

mrspurs
10-20-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think you can really grade the Spurs offseason moves, because they really didn't do anything. It's pretty much status quo. Aldridge is right in saying they didn't do anything significant but maybe staying put was significant in itself...very much the same as the Lakers.

I think the Spurs FO is making their last gamble. They feel, as alot of Spur fans do, that they were only a couple of games away from the Finals. They think they were just some good luck away from another Finals appearance and that there's nothing really wrong with the team.

After the WCF, from the way they addressed it all, I had a feeling they wouldn't make much in terms of wholesale changes.

Their strategy was to stand pat, either they win it all or next year they'll REALLY make some changes, you can't really "grade" something like that. That said, I think they'll have one more roster tuneup before the trade deadline.

Their strategy was to bring in quality players. And those quality players didnt come. We tried to get better, but the better players went elsewhere. To think we would come back with the same older squad isnt what the FO wanted.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Nuggets ranked 30th !! :clap

I can't wait for people to see how much better the Nuggets are without Camby. Anyone know how many games he has played for the Clippers in the pre-season so far? :lmao

Rummpd
10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Quick work for the Lakers? Rubbish, a non-call would have likely sent one game to over-time that could have changed the whole series. Spurs were very competitive with the Lakers, and even with Bynum, there is absolutely no quarantee the LAL are still the better team.

manufor3
10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
la gets 21? come on

manufor3
10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Robert Horry was a key loss? Last year, all of the experts said he and the Spurs were old and the Spurs needed to get younger...

by "key loss" i think they mean just any old loss

bdictjames
10-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Is that Duncan's head on Lamar's body on your sig? :lol