PDA

View Full Version : Cut the Playoff Liabilities

dbestpro
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Okay, its playoff time. Which one of the possible preseason cuts do you really see possibly making a difference in the playoffs?

Watkins, Gaines, Farmer, Hairston, Stoudamire, Green, Tolliver

Stoudamire is the only realistic possible choice. The rest will never see playoff daylight. Being that the Spurs are a playoff caliber team that makes the rest of the group a liability that we cannot afford unless building for the future with average young talent is more important than winning a championship now.

tav1
10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Okay, its playoff time. Which one of the possible preseason cuts do you really see possibly making a difference in the playoffs?

Watkins, Gaines, Farmer, Hairston, Stoudamire, Green, Tolliver

Stoudamire is the only realistic possible choice. The rest will never see playoff daylight. Being that the Spurs are a playoff caliber team that makes the rest of the group a liability that we cannot afford unless building for the future with average young talent is more important than winning a championship now.

Not true. Farmer and Tolliver are also "realistic" possibilities. And Hairston has an outside shot at making a contribution to next year's team, which makes him intriguing. This is not a black and white decision.

dbestpro
10-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Making the team and actually doing something other than waving a towel from a seat are 2 different things. There is no way Pop will let Farmer or Tolliver touch the playoff floor. They might as well buy a ticket to the game and hope they get to shoot for half time prizes cause that's the only way they will see any action come playoff time.

Fermixalot
10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
there always is the possibility that during the regular season, they pick up the system quickly and make a huge difference.

As was said before, this is not a black and white issue. I think Famer (and pops man-love Tolliver) could both make good contributions in the playoffs if they make the team. Farmer with his penetration and shooting, Tolliver with his rebounding and shooting as well as the possibility of guarding the Dirk's and David West's.

rascal
10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
None of those guys are difference makers.

tav1
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
there always is the possibility that during the regular season, they pick up the system quickly and make a huge difference.

As was said before, this is not a black and white issue. I think Famer (and pops man-love Tolliver) could both make good contributions in the playoffs if they make the team. Farmer with his penetration and shooting, Tolliver with his rebounding and shooting as well as the possibility of guarding the Dirk's and David West's.

Yes, the Spurs did the right think by investing a little bit extra in quality campers. The odds are still against all the aforementioned names. In all likelihood, they won't make a difference. But the Spurs are doing their best to fill out the bench with worthwhile guys that could help if called on, especially given market and cap restraints.

It's a lesson in why they excel other front offices. They do the small things right.

Although, I'm not convinced that Tolliver can guard Dirk. Maybe David West. But I'm also not convinced Dirk will make the playoffs.

pad300
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Watkins, maybe,

just based on matchups - there are a lot of really big bodies playing out west - Shaq, Yao, Bynum, Oden... The only guy even close to Watkin's size on the roster is Tim, and I think Watkins is bigger. If we want to be able to keep Tim from defending those guys at least part of the time, KT either accepts a huge physical disadvantage and comes up big, or we need a bigger body IMO. Watkins is the only other bigger body on the roster (currently).

Fermixalot
10-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Although, I'm not convinced that Tolliver can guard Dirk. Maybe David West. But I'm also not convinced Dirk will make the playoffs.

True, Mavs (as well as the Suns) are due for a major collapse this year. I still see no point in either of their major trades last year.

They may not be huge difference makers, but if anyone can come in a hit a few threes and keep David West from holding a shooting clinic like last year I'm all for it.

tav1
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Watkins, maybe,

just based on matchups - there are a lot of really big bodies playing out west - Shaq, Yao, Bynum, Oden... The only guy even close to Watkin's size on the roster is Tim, and I think Watkins is bigger. If we want to be able to keep Tim from defending those guys at least part of the time, KT either accepts a huge physical disadvantage and comes up big, or we need a bigger body IMO. Watkins is the only other bigger body on the roster (currently).

The Spurs will not always try to match some of those teams, sometimes they'll play small and force those teams to close out on shooters. KT has always accepted a physical disadvantage and does fine.

The Spurs will play fast against Yao, forcing him to come out of the lane.

Shaq is not an issue, Amare is always one play away from another foul.

Bynum'Gasol is problematic, but not unsolvable. And, I'm still waiting to see if they can play together.

Oden is a question mark.

In short, those teams are all beatable with the Spurs current front line.

Popovich is more concerned about scoring points than defending. The Spurs will not have trouble defending.

tav1
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
True, Mavs (as well as the Suns) are due for a major collapse this year. I still see no point in either of their major trades last year.

They may not be huge difference makers, but if anyone can come in a hit a few threes and keep David West from holding a shooting clinic like last year I'm all for it.

Slowing Paul is more important than guarding West. See: Hill, George.

pad300
10-20-2008, 11:46 AM
The Spurs will not always try to match some of those teams, sometimes they'll play small and force those teams to close out on shooters. KT has always accepted a physical disadvantage and does fine.

The Spurs will play fast against Yao, forcing him to come out of the lane.

Shaq is not an issue, Amare is always one play away from another foul.

Bynum'Gasol is problematic, but not unsolvable. And, I'm still waiting to see if they can play together.

Oden is a question mark.

In short, those teams are all beatable with the Spurs current front line.

Popovich is more concerned about scoring points than defending. The Spurs will not have trouble defending.

That's why it says maybe up there...

but there's a lot of really big bodies going to the playoffs in the west (I think), and it might be nice to have one guy besides Tim who qualifies as able to go nose to nose on a size basis.

Spurs Brazil
10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
At the beggining of 03 season who thought Jax would make that great playoff run.

We never know

ElNono
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
We already have our new 'playoff' guys in Mason, Hill and maybe Mahinmi.
Barring a major injury, I don't see the other guys getting any PT in the regular season, which basically means they're not going to see any minutes in the playoffs.
That said, I've been wrong before, so take it with a grain of salt.