PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Appeals To The Court: The '08-'09 "NBA Tested. Brotherhood Ready" Campaign

duncan228
10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Adidas Appeals To The Court (http://proathletesonly.com/news/locker-room/adidas-appeals-to-the-court/)

The start of the 2008-09 NBA season will come with a lot of support from league marketing partners, but perhaps none so extensive as adidas’ “NBA tested. Brotherhood ready” campaign.

Adidas, the NBA’s official footwear and apparel partner, will call on all its heavy hitters to tout the campaign, which in turn supports the launch of adidas’ Team Signature Commander and Team Signature Creator basketball shoes. Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Chauncey Billups and Gilbert Arenas will star in a global effort to include TV, print, wireless and outdoor breaking this week, all of which will drive consumers to a Web site, www.adidasbasketball.com. There, visitors can watch a multipart film series that follows the aforementioned NBA all-stars as they work with a dozen young players from the U.S. and China to teach them NBA-level moves and motivations.

Spend for the effort was not disclosed but is expected to be adidas’ biggest footwear launch of the year. The Portland, Ore.-based company spent $20.4 million of its $41 million media budget (not including online) on footwear in 2007, per Nielsen Monitor-Plus. Lead agency is 180, Los Angeles. Adidas’ tag remains “Impossible is nothing” and its hoops-related umbrella theme is still “Basketball is a brotherhood.”

As many at 12 teaser spots will be seeded during NBA broadcasts on ESPN and TBS; print will hit basketball-centric magazines including Slam, Dime and Bounce. The teaser spots show the NBA stars interacting with each other and with the 12 young players in a basketball camp setting. A tag directs people to the Web site and the long-form films.

The films follow Garnett, McGrady and the others as they share tips not only on how to play basketball but also how to conduct themselves off the court. The effort is a cross-county adventure, with Arenas schooling the young athletes on his home court in Washington, Howard teaching them in Orlando, Fla., McGrady sharing skills in Houston and Garnett hitting the court in Boston. The finale is a game pitting the pros against their students.

The films also follow the players as they bond between games. In one conversation, Howard tells Garnett, “They don’t call me Dwight anymore. Everyone calls me Superman,” referring to a nickname given to him because of his soaring dunks. Replies Garnett with a straight face, “I’m going to call you Dwight.” Later, after the players have worked up a sweat in a pick-up game, Garnett says to the group, “Are you hungry? Lunch is on Superman.”

Print extends the “Brotherhood” theme: In one version, Garnett offers, “The more I can dominate, the more we can celebrate.” In his print ad, McGrady says, “A faster me for a faster we.”

“The idea is to take these all-stars off the pedestal and show people how they are just like you and me,” said Lawrence Norman, vp-global basketball at adidas. “We have guys like KG, T-Mac, Duncan, who really relate to kids and who are honest about their love of the game.”

MSRP for both the TS Commander and TS Signature shoes is $100. In 2007, sales of athletic footwear topped $17 billion for the first time and are expected to surpass $17.7 billion in 2008, according to the National Sporting Goods Assn. in Mount Prospect, Ill.

- Barry Janoff, Brandweek

ST thread link to one of the first videos, "The Run":

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106386

honestfool84
10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
not enough mention of duncan.
LAME.

honestfool84
10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
let me correct myself: lame on their part, not your part, duncan228.

Anti.Hero
10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
The films follow Garnett, McGrady and the others as they share tips not only on how to play basketball but also how to conduct themselves off the court. The effort is a cross-county adventure, with Arenas schooling the young athletes on his home court in Washington, Howard teaching them in Orlando, Fla., McGrady sharing skills in Houston and Garnett hitting the court in Boston. The finale is a game pitting the pros against their students.

lol. The best bball player in the last decade (included in this group) and they leave him out.

duncan228
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
We always have to wait until the end of the campaigns to get more Duncan honestfool84. They save his stuff for April and May, when the real season starts.

Some Duncan to tie you over. :)

From the "It Takes 5ive" campaign, Duncan's "You're not a fool, are you?"
cBZ41NyNZj8

duncan228
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
A couple from last year's "Basketball Is A Brotherhood" campaign. Arenas and Duncan interviewing each other.

ML1XK7X_O2E

AEFfiuuRwzM

tp2021
10-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Dude, I get beat up more than you! And it's legal when they do it against me!:lol

And is ths the video Timmy and Arenas were talking about?
Bn6O42a5vl8

Fermixalot
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
that conversation between Zero and TD was great, even though I despise Arenas.

As much as I'd love to see more media love for Tim, part of his appeal (for me at least) is that he goes out, dominates you in every aspect of the game, and moves to the next game. He doesn't need to say a word, he let's his game speak and that is what makes him TD.

It would be nice to see more of the funny side everyone speaks about though. That psychoanalysis Tim did a few years back was the funniest thing I've ever read.

tp2021
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I got 3 votes. Did you? I did too. And my wife voted.

DPG21920
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
This is awesome stuff to read about. Thanks for posting. I love any and all things sports marketing related!

duncan228
10-20-2008, 06:55 PM
That psychoanalysis Tim did a few years back was the funniest thing I've ever read.

It's from 1999, and it is great. For anyone that hasn't read it, it's been posted here a few times, most recently last month. Post #17.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104681

duncan228
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice piece. I can't wait for the rest, especially Duncan's. It's nice to get to see these players giving back and interacting with, what Arenas calls them, "the next generation". And it's nice to see adidas supplying all the kids with new gear.

Gilbert's New Adidas Movie (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/gilberts_new_adidas_movie.html)

The folks from Adidas sent along this brief Gilbert Arenas movie, part of a four-part series featuaring Dwight Howard, Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett coaching young ball players from the U.S. and China. I have no idea how much of this is real and how much is staged, but it's definitely D.C., and there's a nice cameo from DeShawn Stevenson. Can anyone identify the playground Gilbert shows up at right at the beginning? Looks awfully familiar, but I can't exactly place it.

And yeah, Gilbert does seem right at home with young men of a certain age. And yeah, when he takes them out on the practice court, he gets right down to the fundamentals, assuming your definition of "the fundamentals" includes behind the back spin moves.

C-ZqbisV9Ew

duncan228
10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Duncan and McGrady. (part 3 of the series, part 2 in next post).

ysRKUJv4OZI

duncan228
10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Dwight Howard. Howard is actually part 2, I posted part 3 with Duncan first. :)

VYZqDS98rpE

duncan228
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Garnett, part 4.

U6ZFrsgwLHc

byrdman31
10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
man these were awesome thanks everyone :wow:downspin::downspin:

duncan228
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
This is awesome stuff to read about. Thanks for posting. I love any and all things sports marketing related!

For anyone following the campaign.

ESPN ran a few of the 10 second spots with Duncan and McGrady last night.

Adidas Intros Global Push (http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/agency/e3id07a2e506c34fcf6f4cd821def1c1e87)
180/LA casts hoop heroes in Web-based films that stress 'brotherhood'
-By Gregory Solman

'Brotherhood' is a key theme of 180/LA's new Adidas work.
LOS ANGELES A global campaign for Adidas out of Omnicom Group's 180/LA launches this week, featuring a quintet of top pro hoop stars.

"We wanted to build off the momentum we created last year, with the theme of brotherhood," explained 180 ecd William Gelner. "It's not about hero worship, but bringing the pros down to the basketball-playing kid, to be there side by side and teach them what basketball is all about."

The campaign includes four short Web-based movies starring National Basketball Association's Kevin Garnett (Boston), Tracy McGrady (Houston), Tim Duncan (San Antonio), Dwight Howard (Orlando) and Gilbert Arenas (Washington), who adopt up-and-coming schoolboy players from America and China and treat them to pro experiences. View the clips at Adidasbasketball.com.

The series starts with Arenas taking a kid out of a pickup game and treating him to a pro experience. It builds to a game at a professional venue, the Toyota Center in Houston, where the amateurs get to play an NBA-style game, under pro conditions, as the pros coach them. In the final episode ("A Brotherhood Shines"), the kids get a lesson in teamwork and brotherhood with a tour of Boston.

Ten 10-second teasers derived from the films will be broadcast as spots during NBA games, breaking in the next few days, to promote the Web enterprise. Aegis Group's Carat in Los Angeles handled media.

The tag on a series of print ads featuring action shots -- in publications such as Slam, Bounce and Dime -- is "NBA tested, brotherhood ready." "We wanted to stick to the brotherhood theme," Gelner said, "but elevate it to its highest level."

According to sources, the agency is meeting with the NBA about the potential for broadcasting the material on NBA TV. Gelner declined comment.

"It was a lot of fun to be part of," Gelner said. "It is starting to feel less like a basketball campaign and more like a movement."

Adidas spent $40 million in measured media in 2007 and $15 million through August 2008, according the Nielsen Monitor-Plus.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Ya, Adidas is big on pushing their products. The "impossible is nothing" ties into the "basketball is a brotherhood" campaign. You will see a lot more of this advertising this year because the are really trying to make a push in their athletic shoe department. They are trying to grab market share. Especially since they landed the NBA contract for uniforms and such...