PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Hill Gets Good News

duncan228
10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Jeff McDonald: Hill gets good news (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_h_6.html)

An MRI taken of rookie guard George Hill's sprained left thumb came back negative Monday. As such, Hill and the Spurs are almost positive he will play in at least one of the team's remaining preseason games.

Hill, who is right-handed, has been fitted with a hard plastic splint, similiar to what Manu Ginobili wore on his jammed finger last season. He will test the splint out during practice Tuesday, and if all goes well, might give it a go Wednesday night against Washington.

A more likely scenario would have Hill returning for the Spurs' preseason finale Friday against Miami. He has missed two games since suffering the injury against Detroit last Tuesday.

"Some of it is going to be tolerance," coach Gregg Popovich said. "How he feels when he catches a pass, see how he feels in the splint we give him."

If it comes down to Hill's own tolerance level, expect to see him on the floor sooner, rather than later. After all, he once played on a broken foot in college.

Were he an established veteran, Hill might opt to take it easy until the regular season begins Oct. 29. Being a rookie with much to prove, Hill said he plans to play again as soon as humanly possible.

"I think I've still got to prove I'm supposed to be here," Hill said after Monday's practice. "I don't want to take anything for granted and say, 'Oh, it's only preseason.' "

The end of practice Monday offered a rare Ginobili sighting. When the doors opened for the media to enter, Ginobili was still on the floor, shooting around with teammates.

Yes, he actually did take a few jump shots -- empahsis on the word "jump" -- landing on the left ankle he had scoped in the offseason.

This should probably go without saying, but don't pay too much attention to the number of 3-pointers the Spurs have been flinging up this preseason.

They are averaging 23 attempts in five preseason games, which, if that pace continued into the regular season, would basically make them Golden State.

The Spurs have been playing extended minutes this preseason without Tim Duncan, in two games playing without him on the floor at all. That tends to make the long ball a bigger part of the Spurs' aresenal than it normally would be.

With Duncan on the sidelines against Indiana, the Spurs shot 35 3-pointers, making 15.

Be on the lookout for another Spurs-HEB television commerical coming soon. Production crews were on site following Monday's practice, putting together a makeshift set that included, of all things, a washer/dryer combo. We're interested in seeing where this is leading.

We're also interested in seeing how these popular commericials come together without comic genius Brent Barry, who now (presumably) is doing spots for Randall's in Houston. We have a feeling they might come off like Saturday Night Live after Eddie Murphy left.

Fermixalot
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Being a rookie with much to prove, Hill said he plans to play again as soon as humanly possible.

"I think I've still got to prove I'm supposed to be here," Hill said after Monday's practice. "I don't want to take anything for granted and say, 'Oh, it's only preseason.' "

Yes, he (Manu) actually did take a few jump shots -- empahsis on the word "jump" -- landing on the left ankle he had scoped in the offseason.

We're also interested in seeing how these popular commericials come together without comic genius Brent Barry, who now (presumably) is doing spots for Randall's in Houston. We have a feeling they might come off like Saturday Night Live after Eddie Murphy left.

Bittersweet story here. Great that Hill and Manu's injuries are progressing but terrible in the fact that the HEB commercials will be a shell of their former selves without Barry. :depressed

Manufan909
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
no words needed...

They are averaging 23 attempts in five preseason games, which, if that pace continued into the regular season, would basically make them Golden State.
:downspin:

:cry

Ice009
10-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Good stuff from George Hill. The guy wants in, and he wants to prove he can be TP's back up right now.

TheTruth
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Plenty of HEBs in Houston. Barry will still be making plenty of HEB commercials.

DPG21920
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Very good news, Hill can be a solid contributor this year.

sandman
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Plenty of HEBs in Houston. Barry will still be making plenty of HEB commercials.

Over the years we have had David Carr, Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte do local HEB commercials here in the Houston area.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
The Spurs have been playing extended minutes this preseason without Tim Duncan, in two games playing without him on the floor at all. That tends to make the long ball a bigger part of the Spurs' aresenal than it normally would be.

That makes the long ball more common, but it's a bigger part of the offense when Timmy's in there because they are better quality shots.

Spurs Brazil
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Great news for Hill

And like someone said in a thread yesterday, Pop will have a hard time keep Manu out for 20 games

benefactor
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Great news for Hill

And like someone said in a thread yesterday, Pop will have a hard time keep Manu out for 20 games
...which could be bad. I really hope Manu takes his time and doesn't rush back. Manu limping around in the playoffs = same result as last year.

angelbelow
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
good to hear! hopefully he plays in the next preseason game.

Manu-of-steel
10-20-2008, 09:02 PM
i really like the attitude of george hill. from the write-ups in ST, i can say he's a fierce competitor. But what he said is true, he still has a lot to prove. Hope he all his hardwork show in the coming games.

Das Texan
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
maybe mcdonald can tear some ligaments in his fingers and he wont be able to write the rest of the year.

duncan228
10-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Updated:

Spurs rookie's thumb passes MRI exam (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_rookies_thumb_passes_MRI_exam.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Michael Finley, all of 35 years old, punctuated his time at Spurs practice Monday with a moment that would have made his buddy Michael Jordan proud.

Finished with his own personal shootaround session, Finley took two purposeful dribbles to the basket, slammed home a vicious windmill dunk, and beat a hasty retreat to the showers.

Seconds later, 22-year-old rookie George Hill tried to join the impromptu slam dunk contest. He accepted a bounce pass from a Spurs staffer with his good right hand, soared majestically toward the hoop and ... hit nothing but rim.

“One more try,” Hill said with a grin, before completing the dunk he'd meant to do in the first place.

Hill was in good spirits Monday, and it had little to do with going .500 with his Dwight Howard impression. An MRI taken of his sprained left thumb earlier in the day showed no bone or ligament damage, clearing the path for the budding backup point guard to return to the floor before the preseason is over.

Hill, who is right-handed, suffered the injury last Tuesday against Detroit, when he displayed either the toughness or poor judgment to jostle for a rebound with the Pistons' brutish frontline. The injury has cost Hill two games so far.

For now, Hill will be fitted with a hard plastic splint, akin to what Manu Ginobili wore to protect his sprained index finger in January. Hill will test the apparatus during practice today, and if all goes well, he could return for the Spurs' preseason finale Friday against Miami.

“Some of it is going to be tolerance,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “How he feels when he catches a pass, how he feels in the splint they give him.”

If his own pain threshold is the primary determinant for when Hill might return to action, expect him to play sooner rather than later.

After all, this is a guy who once played on a broken foot in college. He possesses the pain tolerance of a gassed-up dental patient.

“I think I can tolerate a lot,” Hill said.

Were he a proven veteran, Hill might consider laying low for the rest of the preseason. Being a relatively untested rookie, Hill plans to play again as soon as humanly possible.

The Spurs' first-round pick out of Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, Hill feels some internal urgency to return to the court. After the Spurs passed over more recognizable commodities such as Kansas' Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Chris Douglas-Roberts to get him, Hill is eager to justify the team's faith in him.

“I think I've still got to prove I'm supposed to be here,” Hill said. “I don't want to take it for granted saying, ‘Oh, it's just the preseason.' I want to keep working hard and trying to get better.”

The early returns on Hill have been promising.

Hill averaged eight points in his three preseason appearances. He has been most impressive on defense, able to use his length — uncommon for player standing just 6-foot-2 — to harass bigger guards.

The highlight of his preseason so far came in a two-minute span against New Orleans, when he twice badgered All-Star guard Chris Paul into tough misses.

Popovich calls Hill “absolutely an NBA defender.” Despite the 10 quarters missed while injured, Hill leads the Spurs with seven steals this preseason.

“He's got a knack for steals, deflections, getting a piece of the ball here and there,” Popovich said.

The rest, Popovich and Hill believe, will come.

A natural scorer in college, Hill is still learning what it means to be a professional point guard.

“We're really trying to get him to understand that position is a bear,” Popovich said. “It comes with a lot of responsibility. Coaches always expect point guards to play smarter — it's a lot to throw at a guy who hasn't played the position, really.”

Hill will learn only by playing and only with practice. After the good news of Monday morning, his education should resume soon enough.

sexinthatsx
10-21-2008, 02:16 AM
that's good news

Brox6
10-21-2008, 02:35 AM
The end of practice Monday offered a rare Ginobili sighting. When the doors opened for the media to enter, Ginobili was still on the floor, shooting around with teammates.

Yes, he actually did take a few jump shots -- empahsis on the word "jump" -- landing on the left ankle he had scoped in the offseason.

:downspin::downspin::downspin:

timtonymanu
10-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Great news. Hopefully Hill, Finley, Mason and Stoudamire or Farmer (whoever makes the team) can help take the load off of Tony and Tim.

Slippy
10-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Michael Finley, all of 35 years old, punctuated his time at Spurs practice Monday with a moment that would have made his buddy Michael Jordan proud.

Finished with his own personal shootaround session, Finley took two purposeful dribbles to the basket, slammed home a vicious windmill dunk, and beat a hasty retreat to the showers.

:wow The Finley revival continues. In case anyone missed this bit of news in the updated article.

MoSpur
10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
He needs to do that in a game.

regio
10-22-2008, 08:56 AM
maybe mcdonald can tear some ligaments in his fingers and he wont be able to write the rest of the year.

:lol:rollin:toast