PDA

View Full Version : Pro- Elite folds

BlackSwordsMan
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Word has gotten back to us that ProElite, the website ProElite.com and the parent company to EliteXC is finished. Employees received word today, and the doors are closing Friday.

While the companies behind the scenes whoas have been somewhat documented, the company remained hopefully after their latest showing on CBS and boasted of exceptional ratings. That showing may have proved disastrous for the company as their most marketable star, the somewhat controversial Kimbo Slice, was dispatched in 14 seconds by last second alternate Seth Petruzelli, a replacement for the hours injured before Ken Shamrock. DEspite the TV deal, reportedly both CBS and rival promotion Affliction passed on the opportunity to purchase the company.

OTM co-founder Scotty Nelson was at one time employed by ProElite in the "Grappling Advisor" role at a time when ProElite's pockets and fortunes seemed boundless. He was let go in the first round of layoffs several months ago in what would be one of several attempts for the company to reorganize themselves to remain competitive. In further purchases, ProElite acquired a number of companies, including MMA promotions King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Spirit ME, and Icon. Rumble on the Rock, the promotion owned by JD Penn, brother of JD Penn was actually only leased to ProElite. JD was notified of his layoff this afternoon as well.

ProElite Inc is publicaly traded under PELE.PK

BlackSwordsMan
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
no more gina carano on tv? =[

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
linky?

I'm not sure this means EXC is done yet. I wonder if EXC will be purchased separately.

BlackSwordsMan
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
http://graciefighter.com/?page=news

BlackSwordsMan
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/entry/breaking-news-proelite-to-fold/

''At this point, this is still pure rumor. But with CBS assuming the entire cost of the last show and EliteXC hoping Showtime would do the same for their upcoming November 8th show, this could be a dire sign. ''

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
link

http://www.onthemat.com/articles/ProElite_Closes_Shop_10_20_2008.html

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Good work Shaw you idiot. Way to screw it up.

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
To hell with EXC but Proelite folding is so bad...so so so so bad for MMA. Ugh...

Lots of people without jobs now. The Shaws are the worst thing to happen to MMA.

BlackSwordsMan
10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I wonder who is going where

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I wonder who is going where

Nobody can afford the big ones but the UFC and maybe affliction.

photoshop ninjas on the loose already

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/poisonnivy007/cartoon60.gif

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:20 PM
We are confirming that EliteXC has folded. What this means for our fans and supporters is that there will not be a Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez fight on November 8th. However Jake Shields in the UFC has now become a real possibility. We will be updating our site for future developments.

GracieFighter.com:

dallaskd
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
No more Diaz-Alvarez? :depressed

looks like Tito is back with the UFC. :lol

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
There is going to be so much crazy information coming out in the next week.

Nov 8th canceled

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7396&zoneid=2

dbreiden83080
10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
looks like Tito is back with the UFC. :lol

:toast

Though at a reduced salary. Now they can really rake him over the coals. The UFC has no competition.

So Kimbo can now go back to fighting in bars and back-yards.

Gina you have to fight somewhere, don't leave us honey

Jared Shaw, you and your daddy are a bunch of fuck ups.

dbreiden83080
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
To hell with EXC but Proelite folding is so bad...so so so so bad for MMA. Ugh...

Lots of people without jobs now. The Shaws are the worst thing to happen to MMA.

Well i guess the only upside is the best guys will likely go to the UFC, which just means more great fights. But yeah it is bad on about a million levels. You saw this coming though, i'm sure your not surprised.

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
:toast

Though at a reduced salary. Now they can really rake him over the coals. The UFC has no competition.

Should have signed that contract he was offered the day before UFC 84

dbreiden83080
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Should have signed that contract he was offered the day before UFC 84

Why didn't he? I doubt it was for far less than what he would have got at Elite or Affliction. Tito is his own worst enemy

Evan
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Why didn't he? I doubt it was for far less than what he would have got at Elite or Affliction. Tito is his own worst enemy

Bad mixture between pride and greed. Read his book one day...thats all he is about. And you're right...he is his worst enemy.

Keith Kizer...head of the NSAC kinda owned on this thread he posted on about Pro Elite.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=1358295&page=1

dbreiden83080
10-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Any chance Affliction tries to sign Kimbo and lets the circus continue??

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
NOOOOOOO dammit my Gina watching is gone :(.........FUCK!!!!

djohn14
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Huge story continues.......

The following comes from Josh Gross of SI.com:

ProElite, EliteXC out of business

Less than two years following the formation of ProElite, Inc., the group notified employees and fighters Monday it was shutting its doors effective immediately, multiple sources confirmed to SI.com.

ProElite was an entertainment and media company founded in partnership with Showtime Networks and spearheaded by the mixed martial arts promotional brand EliteXC.

Representatives for ProElite, EliteXC and Showtime did not return calls for comment.

Through its partnership with Showtime and later CBS, which in 2008 agreed to broadcast four live EliteXC events in primetime, EliteXC gained a tremendous amount of visibility. The company, however, hemorrhaged tens of millions of dollars during its 22 months in operation.

In September, Showtime, which owned a 20 percent stake in ProElite, entered into preliminary negotiations to purchase a controlling interest in the company. When those negotiations failed, said a source inside ProElite who asked not to be identified, funding dried up and the company was forced out of business.

Beginning with Rumble on the Rock, ProElite purchased numerous MMA promotional brands around the world, including King of the Cage, Cage Rage, ICON, and Spirit MC. While these companies remained in operation, the focus was EliteXC, which held 17 events starting with its first card Feb. 10, 2007.

EliteXC's third card with CBS on Oct. 4 was also its last as a promoter. Headlined by the controversial Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, the event made headlines with discussion surrounding the legitimacy of the main event between Ferguson and Seth Petruzelli. The bout is currently under investigation by the Florida State Athletic Commission.

After debuting on May 31 to an audience of 6.5 million viewers, EliteXC's ratings on CBS fell significantly in its second effort drawing just 2.7 million in July. In its last event the numbers appeared to bounce back nicely, with an average audience of 4.5 million.

Kelly Kahl, senior executive vice president of programming operations at CBS, declined to comment on ProElite's demise.

EliteXC was scheduled to promote its final event of the year Nov. 8 on Showtime, however the manager for lightweight Nick Diaz, who was scheduled to fight Eddie Alvarez that night for the organization's 160-pound belt, said he was told the event would not take place absent a last-minute "miracle" investor.

I knew it wouldnt take long.

dbreiden83080
10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
well the mess with Kimbo was the final nail in the coffin with them. I guess the good news for them is if they find proof of them trying to rig that fight, they are already out of business, although i imagine they'd face other charges.

Evan
10-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Proof that MMA fans won't accept the boxing model of doing business.

Thank you fans - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djohn14
10-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Maybe we can get some Robbie Lawler back in the UFC!!!

Evan
10-21-2008, 07:58 AM
ELITEXC INSIDER DETAILS COMPANY'S DOWNFALL

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7399&zoneid=2

Evan
10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Partial list of mens EliteXC fighters that are soon to be free agents.

Dave Herman
Antonio Silva
Brett Rogers
Jake Shields
Eddie Alvarez
Nick Diaz
Benji Radach
Joey Villasenor
Robbie Lawler
Ninja Rua
Alex Storm Shlemenko
Kj Noons
Paul Daley
Rafael Feijao
Nick Thompson
Tito Ortiz
Scott Smith

Evan
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Sam Caplan weighs in on the Petruzelli stand-up scandal:

Petruzelli’s comments on 104.1 FM in Orlando that he had financial incentive not to take Slice to the ground that led to such a public outcry that officials in Florida launched an investigation into the incident were just the tip of the iceberg, as there also appeared to be more to the story. For instance, separate sources informed Five Ounces of Pain last week that there was also a possibility that a deal had been struck preventing Petruzelli from using “Thai-style kicks on Slice, since he had not prepared for them leading up to the fight.”

Evan
10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Can you imagine how insane it must be to be Dana right now…

You have a big show in 4 days and a org just collapsed with about 2 dozen fighters you're interested in. I bet the WEC creates a womens division.

BlackSwordsMan
10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
fighters you're interested in. I bet the WEC creates a womens division.

hahah I just thought about it no cyborg vs gina fight :bang

Evan
10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
question....

"For instance, separate sources informed Five Ounces of Pain last week that there was also a possibility that a deal had been struck preventing Petruzelli from using “Thai-style kicks on Slice, since he had not prepared for them leading up to the fight.” "

How is it they knew that he hadn't prepared for thai kicks and why is that a big enough problem to bring up? That implies Bas Rutten had a hand in this.

LEONARD
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
That's f'd up right there!! Bas? WTF

Evan
10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Unless that comment is not true…which I have have a hard time believing someone would just make up such a specific accusation like that…then I can see no other way it was brought around by anyone but Bas…so…Bas….wtf….

What a sad day….

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
The UFC should definately get Robbie Lawler back in the company

BWS-1994
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
C'mon UFC... get Gina Carano!

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 11:37 AM

No Womens division

Evan
10-21-2008, 11:49 AM

The WEC is the best place for them. They would flourish there.

BWS-1994
10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I was hoping maybe Dana White would be swayed by the interest generated by Carano and the women's division...

Evan
10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry, I was hoping maybe Dana White would be swayed by the interest generated by Carano and the women's division...

Without using google or another mma site name 5 women who fight in Gina's weight class. Then name me 5 more in another weight class.

Can't do it, right?

That’s why there won't be one. :)

BlackSwordsMan
10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Without using google or another mma site name 5 women who fight in Gina's weight class. Then name me 5 more in another weight class.

Can't do it, right?

That’s why there won't be one. :)
they got weight classes?

tp2021
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-elitexc102008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Evan
10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
they got weight classes?

Barely……...

Oh my…think Dana would put up with Gina not making weight?

sa_butta
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Maybe some of these guys get into the WEC. I know Dana stated no women in UFC but how bout Gina in WEC?? The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy.

Evan
10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Maybe some of these guys get into the WEC. I know Dana stated no women in UFC but how bout Gina in WEC?? The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy.

WEC will do very well from pro elite folding.

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Barely……...

Oh my…think Dana would put up with Gina not making weight?

I'd put up with just about anything from Gina

Evan
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
And Yoko Couture was complaining about Gina not making enough money….

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
And Yoko Couture was complaining about Gina not making enough money….

:lol

Dude she was even talking shit about Brock a few months ago. Saying something like "She feels sorry for him, Randy is going to embarass him" or something like that. Great idea honey, make that monster even madder than he already is.

Evan
10-21-2008, 02:35 PM
King of the Cage, Inc. (“KOTC”) is fully aware of the reports surrounding the financial difficulties of ProElite, Inc. (“PE”) and the reports that PE has filed or may soon file a bankruptcy case. KOTC is currently reviewing and investigating the situation and has determined that no bankruptcy case has yet been filed by PE . Although KOTC is a wholly owned subsidiary of PE, it has maintained its own independent operational structure since its acquisition by PE. While there may be some short term impact on KOTC’s operations, KOTC intends to fulfill all of its existing obligations and to conduct all of its scheduled events. KOTC further intends to resume normal business operations as quickly as possible and to continue to grow its brand as it has for the past 10 years.

We will provide further updates as more information becomes available.

http://keepersofthecage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

Evan
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
the official wheels are churning

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/10/21/proelite-notifies-nsac-of-nov-8-cancellation-and-its-closing/

This is all great news for MMA in the long term. Lots of awesome regional shows will spawn out of this. Just look at MFC and Strikeforce for proof.

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Amazing that little prick, Jared Shaw as little as 2 weeks ago was chirping about how well Elite XC was doing and now they have closed up shop.

Evan
10-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Unbiased promoters rule

http://i35.tinypic.com/vctavb.jpg

dbreiden83080
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Unbiased promoters rule

http://i35.tinypic.com/vctavb.jpg

"Seth you promised you wouldn't use your right hand, or your kicks, or knees or go for the takedown, DAMN YOU, just stand there and stick your chin out so that Hack Kimbo can KO You, we got bills to pay"

dallaskd
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Gina will probably go to Strikeforce. A good example for other small orgs on how to get it done.

dallaskd
10-21-2008, 06:35 PM
question...is KOTC separate from Cage Rage?

Evan
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
question...is KOTC separate from Cage Rage?

yessir....

KOTC runs dozens of shows a year...maybe 1 to 3 a week. Sometimes the same night in several places.

Some notable KOTC competitors include former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Diego Sanchez, Paul Buentello, Joe Stevenson, Keith Jardine, The Ultimate Fighter 2 Heavyweight Winner Rashad Evans, and The Ultimate Fighter 6 winner Mac Danzig.

Cage Rage is British and runs about as much as WEC

Pro Elite screwed a lot of people pretty bad here.

Evan
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Gina will probably go to Strikeforce. A good example for other small orgs on how to get it done.

No doubt.

oligarchy
10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Partial list of mens EliteXC fighters that are soon to be free agents.

Dave Herman
Antonio Silva
Brett Rogers
Jake Shields
Eddie Alvarez
Nick Diaz
Benji Radach
Joey Villasenor
Robbie Lawler
Ninja Rua
Alex Storm Shlemenko
Kj Noons
Paul Daley
Rafael Feijao
Nick Thompson
Tito Ortiz
Scott Smith

There's a number of fighters who would probably go to UFC, but i'm not sure who they would try to push to WEC. Silva, Shields, Alvarez would all be a 'go' to the UFC. Others that I couldn't say positively: Rua, Villasenor, Lawler, Radach seem the most likely.
Smith, Thompson, Daley, Noons seem like they might be pushed down to WEC.

We'll see if Feijao is brought over and what happens with Ortiz.

Evan
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
There's a number of fighters who would probably go to UFC, but i'm not sure who they would try to push to WEC. Silva, Shields, Alvarez would all be a 'go' to the UFC. Others that I couldn't say positively: Rua, Villasenor, Lawler, Radach seem the most likely.
Smith, Thompson, Daley, Noons seem like they might be pushed down to WEC.

We'll see if Feijao is brought over and what happens with Ortiz.

Yeah it depends on if they are sticking with the LHW HW free WEC. I wouldn't be surprised if Zuffa doesn't create a new non TV org.

dallaskd
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Shields wants the UFC...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7402&zoneid=2

djohn14
10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, I cant say Id turn him down.

Evan
10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
showtime about to send in the knee cappers

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=3535

Evan
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/mikerussellmma/DANAsDESKTOP.jpg

Evan
10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
^I just sent that to Dana….I'll post his response if I get one. So far I am 2 replies out of 3 emails.

dbreiden83080
10-22-2008, 03:27 PM
^I just sent that to Dana….I'll post his response if I get one. So far I am 2 replies out of 3 emails.

He's replied to you

Evan
10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
He's replied to you

twice.

No big deal…I sent him an email about Fedor and something else…can't remember. Think it was about Vera.

LEONARD
10-22-2008, 04:43 PM

I'm 0/731...he hates me...

dallaskd
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
what's his email?

Evan
10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm 0/731...he hates me...

Dude....your emails sucked

"PRIDE never DIE teh evl DANA!"

Evan
10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
what's his email?

[email protected]

dallaskd
10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
how did you get that?

Evan
10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
how did you get that?

Thats not really it. I was kidding

When that Brandon Vera lawsuit was going on with cityboxing a blog posted a bunch of legal documents and accidentally left Dana's email up for a few hours and I snagged it real quick.

Evan
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I (heart) Dana White

Jm3iG5NpTtI

Evan
11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/39434/proelitesale.jpg

Fighters are so screwed

desflood
11-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Quick, all you guys who kept complaining that they didn't know how to run the business -chip in and buy the damn thing. Surely you all can do it better :p:

Evan
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Quick, all you guys who kept complaining that they didn't know how to run the business -chip in and buy the damn thing. Surely you all can do it better :p:

I would have told them to go ahead and not fix fights. That business plan = success!

Be interesting to see who buys this up…I wonder how much Zuffa will offer.

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Man if I knew an investor that would be awesome. I would put Evan and Leonard in charge of talent. Ill hire Gina as my assistant :) and bodyguard hahha. DB you can be my errand boy hahahah.

Evan
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Worry about making 2 million dollars like Strikeforce and not 300 million like the UFC. There is nothing wrong with being a small regional organization and I can't understand why people are so unwilling to accept that.

Be stable> figure out how to run a show> grow slowly> worry about being like the UFC later. Nobody wants to be patient except strikeforce and mfc and yet somehow they are they are the only ones who churn a profit.

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Man if I knew an investor that would be awesome. I would put Evan and Leonard in charge of talent. Ill hire Gina as my assistant :) and bodyguard hahha. DB you can be my errand boy hahahah.

Yeah i'll get right on that, just as soon as i am done poisoning your morning coffee, changing your will so i get all your money and flying myself and Gina off to a deserted island with nothing in her luggage but a large selection of Bikini's.. :hat

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah i'll get right on that, just as soon as i am done poisoning your morning coffee, changing your will so i get all your money and flying myself and Gina off to a deserted island with nothing in her luggage but a large selection of Bikini's.. :hat

LOL WOW you really put some thought into that one. Thats it your fired!!

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Speaking of Gina, what is next for her now that Elite-XC is Kaput??

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 11:01 AM

I dont know but they better find a home for her....I miss her already.

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Sadly because Women's MMA is so limited, so are her options.

Evan
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM

^awesome

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Sadly because Women's MMA is so limited, so are her options.

Its a shame to, I was more excited to see the woman fight than KIMBO lol.

Evan
11-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Problem is nobody can name 10 women outside of Gina without using google and nobody can name the top 3 weight divisions.

Too much of it rides on Gina just like so much rode on Ali's daughter for boxing (name is escaping me)

However…WEC would do good to sign her and co-headline with Urijah for PPV but Zuffa has never been known to throw cans against its top fighters so she would be at risk pretty fast.

I do think womens MMA has so much more to offer than any other female sport and I support it. I just think the hype around Gina far far far outshines the deph of that entire division. Its littered with 3-2 records.

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Problem is nobody can name 10 women outside of Gina without using google and nobody can name the top 3 weight divisions.

Too much of it rides on Gina just like so much rode on Ali's daughter for boxing (name is escaping me)

However…WEC would do good to sign her and co-headline with Urijah for PPV but Zuffa has never been known to throw cans against its top fighters so she would be at risk pretty fast.

I do think womens MMA has so much more to offer than any other female sport and I support it. I just think the hype around Gina far far far outshines the deph of that entire division. Its littered with 3-2 records.

And the thing is, she is not just a pretty face like Anna Kournakova, getting endorsements for her looks but incapable of winning a single Tennis Tournament. Gina can Fight. But yeah Womens MMA is just not there. Somebody should sign her though. She can make a promoter money for sure.. I mean come on...

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l138/jesters91/girls/gina_carano.jpg

Evan
11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah any questions of her having legit talent should be answered now. She is lefit.

But personally I am more into whatching Cyborg fight than her

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
But personally I am more into whatching Cyborg fight than her

I guess you missed the picture, lets try this again...

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l138/jesters91/girls/gina_carano.jpg :p:

Evan
11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Trust me…I even annoy myself with who I root for.

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Trust me…I even annoy myself with who I root for.

LMAO at least you dont have a man crush on gsp :P

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
LMAO at least you dont have a man crush on gsp :P

Just can't get enough of that Riddum

dallaskd
11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Just can't get enough of that Riddum

And i got the jungle fever.

Evan
11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses are suspended. They were suspended yesterday, when after looking into the matter carefully the exact situation was determined. However, it is not due to any type of contracts.

The primary reason that Pro Elite/Elite XC’s and King of the Cage’s licenses have been placed on suspension is because of their financial states and the fact that Pro Elite, the owner of King of the Cage, has suspended operations and their tangible and intangible assets are being auctioned on November 17.

Regards,

CALIFORNIA STATE ATHLETIC COMMISSION
Armando Garcia, Executive Officer

During my 1000 rants against Exc I have always said that if they go under the true tragedy is pro-elite and all of small shows. Well here we are.

King of the Cage was a steady promotion that helped countless small time fighters make ends meet.

eff you Shaw

(I'm still trying to stop cussing :lol)