PDA

View Full Version : What will be Obama's test?

2centsworth
10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
What is Joe Biden suggesting? http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/10/biden-to-suppor.html

"Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

romad_20
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I bet they're planning something awesome! :downspin:

Mr. Peabody
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I bet they're planning something awesome! :downspin:

Oh man, that goes right at Obama's weakness - he's too awesome at times!

hater
10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
his real test will be to live to people's expectations. Not only does he have to be competent at his job, he has to look good doing it.

In other words he needs to act like "undercover brother" and be "the man" at the same time. :lol

td4mvp21
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Probably trying to add a bit of reality to the campaign. The campaign makes it seem like life will be perfect once Obama is elected.

DarkReign
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Obama is best at public appearances. Hopefully he realizes that and makes it a trend during his term.

As for whats planned/predicted?

Who knows, nothing would surprise me.

milkyway21
10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I hope Biden didn't suggest this test would be like a something to do on how some people think how vulnerable Obama is, and would like to test how strong he is as commander in chief and being the most powerful man in the World, if he wins in Nov. That's what I'm worried about.

Joe Biden seems like somebody who is not 100% sure of Obama. He once said something about that right? That he doesn't think he is ready to rule? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Anti.Hero
10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I would lmao if Iran attacked Israel on Jan. 21st.

Shastafarian
10-20-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah that would be awesome for all those Israelis.

ducks
10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
What is Joe Biden suggesting? http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/10/biden-to-suppor.html

"Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

this would not shock me at all
if he were to let someone blow up something in the usa

Nbadan
10-20-2008, 11:37 PM
this would not shock me at all
if he were to let someone blow up something in the usa

:rolleyes

Anti.Hero
10-20-2008, 11:39 PM
This is not even a gaffe like some keep labeling it. Just common sense real talk.

Obviously Obama is viewed as too green=weakness, and most of his supporters would freak at even the thought of any sort of new war.

Besides, Obama/left will use the Bush Card for the next 20 years so who cares.

His puppeteers are filthy rich. They won't let anything get too out of hand. Gotta protect the golden future NWO top dog.

ducks
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
This is not even a gaffe like some keep labeling it. Just common sense real talk.

Obviously Obama is viewed as too green=weakness, and most of his supporters would freak at even the thought of any sort of new war.

Besides, Obama/left will use the Bush Card for the next 20 years so who cares.

so bush passes if he plays the clinton card?

bobbyjoe
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Are you implying that because someone didn't support the 2003 Iraq War that they wouldn't support "any new war"?

Anti.Hero
10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
so bush passes if he plays the clinton card?

who gives a shit, he's gone gone gone

ducks
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
who gives a shit, he's gone gone gone

so is clinton

Anti.Hero
10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
so is Warren Gamaliel Harding

timvp
10-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Seriously, if you are a terrorist who hates America, it may seem like a good time to strike around the time Obama is first in office. Who knows if Obama would be willing to respond right away, especially when he'll be coming off of an election where he won partly due to his stance of being against the Iraq war. If a foreign country or a crazy sect is looking to make a move, Obama will likely be much less trigger happy than W. Especially early on.

While this will hopefully be good for us as a country, it does open a small door elsewhere until Obama proves his mettle. Luckily I get the feeling that while Obama comes across as somewhat passive in terms of military action (at least compared to McCain), he wouldn't hesitate to drop the hammer.

We'll see, though. I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if the next four years were more active in terms of US military usage than the last four years.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Strictly politically speaking, any attack would require strong action. As long as he doesn't invade the wrong country, he would have carte blanche from the people and be expected to use it.

timvp
10-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Strictly politically speaking, any attack would require strong action. As long as he doesn't invade the wrong country, he would have carte blanche from the people and be expected to use it.I'm thinking along the lines of a foreign country trying to spread its wings. Or an overthrow of government.

China, for example, should be watched. In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs. (Well, that's not exactly true considering they eat dogs so they are viewed as somewhat useful . . .)

Obviously an attack on America would constitute a response ... even if an isolationist such as Ron Paul were president.

bobbyjoe
10-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Obama's First Test:

Surviving the selection of a gaffe-prone VP candidate who's at it again.

This was a pretty big screwup by Biden anyway you slice it.

At best, it's a gaffe. At worst, it shows he may not believe in Obama's toughness himself. Or that the mere perception that Obama is "soft" on Defense will encourage anti-American militant activity. Neither is comforting to hear for anyone planning to vote Obama.

PixelPusher
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Pakistan

Buddy Holly
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Doesn't shit seem to always happen after a newly elected President is in office? Well, recently.

WTC in 1993. WTC/Pentagon in 2001.

timvp
10-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Obama's First Test:

Surviving the selection of a gaffe-prone VP candidate who's at it again.

This was a pretty big screwup by Biden anyway you slice it.

At best, it's a gaffe. At worst, it shows he may not believe in Obama's toughness himself. Or that the mere perception that Obama is "soft" on Defense will encourage anti-American militant activity. Neither is comforting to hear for anyone planning to vote Obama.I disagree. I think it's actually one of the smarter things Biden has done. He was in Seattle which is about as blue as blue gets so its not like he was going to accidentally scare the crowd into voting for McCain. What I think he was doing was bringing in a realistic sense of what's ahead and even setting the stage for 2012.

If Obama/Biden pretend they can make everything strawberries and rainbows, the Republicans are going to have a huge edge in 2012 if the US is involved in a handful of conflicts. But if you plant that seed now that the next four years are going to be tough, you can get everyone prepared for reality. A lot of the Obama backers, IMO, think that Obama is going to take over and everything will be fixed. That's just not going to be the case and the quicker Obama/Biden get that message out there, the better it will be in the long haul. Not only will it help in 2012, it will help keep morale high when the tough times arrive.

The good news for Obama backers is that if Biden is playing this card already, he must be pretty damn confident about the election. This is something that could hurt the ticket slightly in the short term but pay off big in the long term.

I generally think Biden is a slimeball but this was a great move :tu

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking along the lines of a foreign country trying to spread its wings. Or an overthrow of government.

China, for example, should be watched. In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs. (Well, that's not exactly true considering they eat dogs so they are viewed as somewhat useful . . .)

Obviously an attack on America would constitute a response ... even if an isolationist such as Ron Paul were president.

So how many times have you been to China?

timvp
10-21-2008, 12:49 AM
So how many times have you been to China?Twice. And my dad is in China for business about four months out of the year.

Creepn
10-21-2008, 12:53 AM

What makes you think Iran will attack Israel?

bobbyjoe
10-21-2008, 01:01 AM
I disagree. I think it's actually one of the smarter things Biden has done. He was in Seattle which is about as blue as blue gets so its not like he was going to accidentally scare the crowd into voting for McCain. What I think he was doing was bringing in a realistic sense of what's ahead and even setting the stage for 2012.

If Obama/Biden pretend they can make everything strawberries and rainbows, the Republicans are going to have a huge edge in 2012 if the US is involved in a handful of conflicts. But if you plant that seed now that the next four years are going to be tough, you can get everyone prepared for reality. A lot of the Obama backers, IMO, think that Obama is going to take over and everything will be fixed. That's just not going to be the case and the quicker Obama/Biden get that message out there, the better it will be in the long haul. Not only will it help in 2012, it will help keep morale high when the tough times arrive.

The good news for Obama backers is that if Biden is playing this card already, he must be pretty damn confident about the election. This is something that could hurt the ticket slightly in the short term but pay off big in the long term.

I generally think Biden is a slimeball but this was a great move :tu

Biden had to know that his audience wasn't only Seattle, WA but America once the media got a hold of his comments.

If his idea was to create a sense of realism that there are still major issues out there in the world which may result in American military involvement, that's the kind of message you convey after you are elected.

This election isn't over yet and as if there weren't enough doubts about Obama's sense of conviction and gumption to use force to protect American interests, Biden's comments only serve to solidify that doubt IMO. Why would he clearly state that Obama personally would be tested and not simply "The USA will be tested"?

Biden is being far too cocky if he thinks this election is in the bag. Obama nearly lost the primary to Clinton despite a tremendous lead and now after "Joe the Plumber" McCain is clearly building momentum going into the home stretch.

milkyway21
10-21-2008, 01:05 AM
I generally think Biden is a slimeball but this was a great move..if only he's not in any way linked to tied to Ayers, e.g. who openly says he hates America...

WHO, are really contributors to his big fund raising campaign, may I ask? US$150m in the last few weeks? that's a lot of money:hungry:
well, I am not implementing it is bad, It is actually good esp if he plans to use all of his campaign funds for good reason-winning, but I just hope nobody from those people would like something in return in the future..

bobbyjoe
10-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Pakistan

If anything's going to happen, it's going to be Israel trying to take out Iran's nuclear sites IMO.

They've been rebuffed on this by the US govt to date and it's probably pretty obvious to them at this point that Obama wouldn't support their cause. They probably have doubts about whether Obama would intervene if Israel was attacked by Iran.

If they sense that Obama's going to win the election and are paranoid enough about Iran successfully going nuclear, there's a slight chance they may do something as aggressive as going at it now before Obama gets into office.

A couple months ago on Intrade the odds were actually close to 20% that either the US or Israel would attack Iran's nuclear infrastructure before 12/31/08.

timvp
10-21-2008, 01:08 AM
If his idea was to create a sense of realism that there are still major issues out there in the world which may result in American military involvement, that's the kind of message you convey after you are elected. I think it's smart to get it out now. You start trying to change the mood after the election and it feels like they lied just to get into office. You sober up the Obama backers now and they won't be as shocked if Obama doesn't deliver world peace.

I think this was a strategic plan to start the sobering process. That said, Biden isn't exactly the sharpest tool in Washington so perhaps he was dumb enough to go off on a tangent on his own. I highly doubt it but I wouldn't put it past Biden to F up. Sometimes it looks like even he doubts Obama and thinks he should be the one named first on the ticket :lol

milkyway21
10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
If I may say so, Biden just said such a dumb thing. It makes people think twice about how would Obama will react if such test happens. This might hurt Obama a little bit.
Believe me, right now Obama may look like a more presidentiable than MacCain but Mac is a looking like more powerful to me.

Anti.Hero
10-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Obama is apparently for clean coal while Biden said it isn't "good" enough for America, but China could use it. Both making statements within 2 days.

So he may just be Joe being Joe, but I think Timvp is dead-on about planting the seed and sobering people up to reality.

T Park
10-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Obama could be on his Iphone saying "Joe, STFU damnt"

I've resigned myself to obama winning, so oh well.

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Twice. And my dad is in China for business about four months out of the year.

Which parts of China believe blacks are on the same level as dogs then?

timvp
10-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Which parts of China believe blacks are on the same level as dogs then?I'm not going to do your homework for you. You apparently are on the internets so go fire up the google.

SpurSupremacist
10-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Spelling.

Ya Vez
10-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Mr. Obama when do we invade...

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm not going to do your homework for you. You apparently are on the internets so go fire up the google.

So you're not going to backup your seemingly ridiculous statement that, "they view black people about as highly as they do dogs. (Well, that's not exactly true considering they eat dogs so they are viewed as somewhat useful . . .)"? Cool.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 06:23 AM
So you're not going to backup your seemingly ridiculous statement that, "they view black people about as highly as they do dogs. (Well, that's not exactly true considering they eat dogs so they are viewed as somewhat useful . . .)"? Cool.

If you were awake during the Olympics earlier this year, I don't think timvp has anything to back up...

timvp
10-21-2008, 06:46 AM
If you were awake during the Olympics earlier this year, I don't think timvp has anything to back up...

:tu I mean, this isn't exactly ground breaking territory being covered. The Chinese local government forbidding black people from going to bars while the Olympics were in town because they said they wanted to keep the bars free of criminals might say a little something. There have also been noted cases of the Chinese public protesting against African foreign exchange students. I even read about a local study where random Chinese people during the Olympics were shown a picture of a random black person and asked who they were and the two most common answers were a criminal and Kobe Bryant :rollin

I actually don't blame the Chinese people at all because communism has them living in a box. With their limited exposure to the outside world, they can't know any better. Shastafarian, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse.

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 06:52 AM
:tu I mean, this isn't exactly ground breaking territory being covered. The Chinese local government forbidding black people from going to bars while the Olympics were in town because they said they wanted to keep the bars free of criminals might say a little something. There have also been noted cases of the Chinese public protesting against African foreign exchange students. I even read about a local study where random Chinese people during the Olympics were shown a picture of a random black person and asked who they were and the two most common answers were a criminal and Kobe Bryant :rollin

I actually don't blame the Chinese people at all because communism has them living in a box. With their limited exposure to the outside world, they can't know any better. Shastafarian, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse.

Nice. I don't have an excuse for not knowing the Chinese govt. barred black people from going to bars. I thought I remember hearing something about the black players on team USA, or any black athlete in China, being upset about not being allowed in any bars. Thanks for the history lesson Mao.

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 07:08 AM

Sorry I'm just not a big fan of generalizations. Especially when they're in reference to more than a billion people being extremely racist.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry I'm just not a big fan of generalizations. Especially when they're in reference to more than a billion people being extremely racist.

There's no freedom of expression in China, so your point is moot. What each Chinese individual thinks about the subject does not matter at all in their form of government. What the state says, goes. That's one of the differences between democracy and a dictatorship.

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 08:10 AM
There's no freedom of expression in China, so your point is moot. What each Chinese individual thinks about the subject does not matter at all in their form of government. What the state says, goes. That's one of the differences between democracy and a dictatorship.

I know. But my point is timvp doesn't clarify what he means when he says "In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs." Who is "they"? I could see they being the Chinese government or some of the population. But his refusal to answer my question about which parts of China view black people as being the same level as dogs is just silly. He likes to beat up on other people but when people ask him legitimate questions he goes into either bully mode or "do it yourself" mode.

timvp
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I know. But my point is timvp doesn't clarify what he means when he says "In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs." Who is "they"? I could see they being the Chinese government or some of the population. But his refusal to answer my question about which parts of China view black people as being the same level as dogs is just silly. He likes to beat up on other people but when people ask him legitimate questions he goes into either bully mode or "do it yourself" mode.You want me to answer the question again?

hater
10-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Iran attacking Israel???

:lmao you guys are some delusional dudes

clambake
10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah, china attacks america because a black man hijacked their property, so china decides it's better to blow up their newly purchased country to spite themselves.

Galileo
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM

The USA military and Obama are planning a 9/11 style false=flag attack. They will blame the attack on our new enemy, and we will invade central Asia.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I know. But my point is timvp doesn't clarify what he means when he says "In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs." Who is "they"? I could see they being the Chinese government or some of the population. But his refusal to answer my question about which parts of China view black people as being the same level as dogs is just silly. He likes to beat up on other people but when people ask him legitimate questions he goes into either bully mode or "do it yourself" mode.

Jesus Christ you will go to any lengths to try to sound as though you're not an ignorant idiot. Just stfu and save some face for once.

romad_20
10-21-2008, 11:48 AM

I think its fairly obvious that he's referring to the govt and that's all that matters in the grand scheme. The people of China have no say. I think you jumped the gun on this one.

rascal
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Jesus Christ you will go to any lengths to try to sound as though you're not an ignorant idiot. Just stfu and save some face for once.

No more timvp ass kissing.

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
ok he said this:

In China, they view black people about as highly as they do dogs. (Well, that's not exactly true considering they eat dogs so they are viewed as somewhat useful . . .)

I asked how many times you had been to China. You said twice and your daddy goes there for business. Awesome. To clarify I asked which parts view black people as being on the same level as dogs. Then I got this spectacular reply:

I'm not going to do your homework for you. You apparently are on the internets so go fire up the google.

So how did I jump the gun? If he was talking about the government how much effort would it have taken to say, "I was talking about the government." I would've been fine with his clarification but instead he decided to be a dick (as usual) and told me to go look something up that I would think would be impossible to look up. What would I type in the google search? "Which chinese think black people are like dogs"?

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Ohhh, did I touch a nerve?

Shastafarian
10-21-2008, 12:09 PM
You want me to answer the question again?

Please do. I must have missed it the first time in all this interwebs lingo and whatnot.