PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Expected Spurs Regulars To Receive More Playing Time

duncan228
10-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Expected Spurs regulars to receive more playing time (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Expected_Spurs_regulars_to_receive_more_playing_ti me.html)
By Mike Monroe

With just two preseason games remaining before the regular-season opener against the Phoenix Suns on Oct. 29, the Spurs will begin adding to the playing time of the players who will be in the playing rotation at the start of the season.

It is time, said coach Gregg Popovich, to make sure those players are in game shape.

“These guys have played together a long time,” he said. “It's not like they have to learn how to play with each other. It's just a matter of giving them the correct minutes so they're in good enough shape, come game time, and that some of the new guys, who we think are going to get minutes, are on the court, so they get used to the core players.”

Based on the five preseason games to date, it appears Popovich's starting lineup will have Tony Parker at point guard, Michael Finley at shooting guard, Bruce Bowen at small forward, Tim Duncan at power forward and Fabricio Oberto at center. Those in the regular rotation will be center Kurt Thomas, swingmen Roger Mason and Ime Udoka, power forward Matt Bonner and point guards Jacque Vaughn and George Hill.

Complicating playing time decisions for Popovich in the final two preseason games is ongoing uncertainty about the six remaining players with non-guaranteed contracts.

All likely will get playing time in Wednesday's game at the AT&T Center against the Washington Wizards.

“We've got five or six guys doing a great job,” Popovich said of the players trying to earn spots. “That's going to make our choices very difficult. A lot of effort, a lot of understanding, and all good teammates, so it's going to be very difficult; harder than it has been in a long time.”

Gaines waived: The Spurs did make one cut Monday. Center-forward Charles Gaines, who was added to the roster the first day of training camp, was waived. In four preseason games, Gaines averaged 3.3 points.

timvp
10-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Based on the five preseason games to date, it appears Popovich's starting lineup will have Tony Parker at point guard, Michael Finley at shooting guard, Bruce Bowen at small forward, Tim Duncan at power forward and Fabricio Oberto at center.

:depressed

Dex
10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Those in the regular rotation will be center Kurt Thomas, swingmen Roger Mason and Ime Udoka, power forward Matt Bonner and point guards Jacque Vaughn and George Hill

:vomit:

mystargtr34
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Those in the regular rotation will be center Kurt Thomas, swingmen Roger Mason and Ime Udoka, power forward [B]Matt Bonner and point guards Jacque Vaughn and George Hill.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2004/11/04/g1shit.jpg

SenorSpur
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I knew it. I just knew it.

Pop's man-crush for the Fin Dog continues.

Manufan909
10-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Come on, Mason. Show Pop you're qualified to start!!!

tp2021
10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
It's preseason. Cálmate.

timtonymanu
10-21-2008, 03:24 AM
as long as Finley plays better than last year, i don't mind seeing him being the starting shooting guard.

and Hill better be the back-up PG over Vaughn.

anakha
10-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Has either Mason or Finley really proved that one of them deserves to start over the other?

benefactor
10-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Has either Mason or Finley really proved that one of them deserves to start over the other?
Not really.

I don't know why any of this is a surprise to anyone. We all knew that to start the season Finley and Vaughn would probably get the nod. If Mason and Hill want the jobs...they will have to play well and earn them in games that actually mean something.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Finley at SG is as bad as me having to put up with Carter at PG while JR Smith sits on the bench :drunk

I give it 5-10 games before Mason is starting

polandprzem
10-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Damn Findog is so incosistent ...
But maybe it's better for him to be out there with Tim on the floor then with Kurt Thomas.

All in all spurs are incosistent.
Most NBA says spurs are finished and mainly because of Finley being in the starting lineup. Spurs are showing they are old since two years now. In a meaning they can't handle the b2b games. And you had example in the playoffs when old spurs could not recover every second day.

Drom John
10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Finley should start over Mason because the slower Finley will do better with Parker and Duncan drawing defenders. Mason is a better bench player at this time because he can do a bit on his own.

IOW, while Mason > Finley
Finley starting/Mason bench > Mason starting/Finley bench.

When Ginobli comes back and is the 6th man, then Mason may take the starting role.

That said, I believe Finley the starter will be giving up minutes to Mason the 2nd stringer even at the beginning of the season.

Ronaldo McDonald
10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Bench looks really thin w/o manu IMO

BronxCowboy
10-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Those in the regular rotation will be center Kurt Thomas, swingmen Roger Mason and Ime Udoka, power forward Matt Bonner and point guards Jacque Vaughn and George Hill.

Wonder what his definition of regular rotation is? Sounds like he just listed everyone with a guaranteed contract who isn't injured.

MoSpur
10-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Not seeing Manu is the sixth man is very sad.

The Truth #6
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
As long as Finley keeps going 2 for 8 every night he will show that he hasn't lost a step and will keep his starting job.

wildchild
10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
]Based on the five preseason games to date[/B], it appears Popovich's starting lineup will have Tony Parker at point guard, Michael Finley at shooting guard, Bruce Bowen at small forward, Tim Duncan at power forward and Fabricio Oberto at center. Those in the regular rotation will be center Kurt Thomas, swingmen Roger Mason and Ime Udoka, power forward Matt Bonner and point guards Jacque Vaughn and George Hill.

Monroe's so limited. I don't like KT in the starting lineup 'cause he's the best bigman when Tim's out the court but together I guess that didn't work.
However, based on the five preseason KT stars the games and Oberto comes off the bench. So, which games was watching Monroe?.

tav1
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not certain Monroe knows what he is talking about...he's just laying his bets on Popovich playing his conservative cards. Jacques Vaughn might not get any minutes in the regular season and Mike Finley might not start. Tolliver could play in front of Bonnner.

xtremesteven33
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Michael Finley starting in place of Mason could actually be a blessing in disguise.

Having Mason and Hill coming off the bench could mean a burst of youth and defense the Spurs didnt have before. And remember this is only just for the first 20-25 games before Manu gets back.....

SenorSpur
10-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Michael Finley starting in place of Mason could actually be a blessing in disguise.

Having Mason and Hill coming off the bench could mean a burst of youth and defense the Spurs didnt have before. And remember this is only just for the first 20-25 games before Manu gets back.....

Finley may get the start, but I expect Mason to get the lionshare of minutes. I starting to like the idea of having him pair up with Hill as bench guys. Also, if Ian can crack the rotation at some point in the season, that should be a vigorous defensive lift and an injection of youth that wasn't there before.

Vorg
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Finley should start over Mason because the slower Finley will do better with Parker and Duncan drawing defenders. Mason is a better bench player at this time because he can do a bit on his own.

True. I am also thinking of the same thing.

Manufan909
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Finley may get the start, but I expect Mason to get the lionshare of minutes. I starting to like the idea of having him pair up with Hill as bench guys. Also, if Ian can crack the rotation at some point in the season, that should be a vigorous defensive lift and an injection of youth that wasn't there before.

+1 I can't wait!!! Stupid weak ankles, damn I wanted to see Ian against the Pacers when I went, but whatever. Fab, KT, and Bolliver need to step up this year, even I don't see that as a possibility.

T Park
10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Its to start the season.

If Mason outperforms him, he will start.

Not that big of a deal.....