PDA

View Full Version : Where is my foot? Right there? ok... BANG!

RandomGuy
10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
`Anti-American' comments hurt Minn. rep's campaign

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann spent months building her profile through appearances on "Larry King Live" and other TV talk shows. It took only a few minutes of airtime, and one disparaging remark about Barack Obama, to undo it.

After saying on MSNBC's "Hardball" that Obama "may have anti-American views," Bachmann found herself fending off criticism from former Secretary of State Colin Powell, a Republican, and Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Worse, Bachmann's comment uncorked a gusher of donations to her opponent, transforming a race she had been favored to win into one more worry spot for Republicans.

Democrat Elwyn Tinklenberg said his campaign brought in $810,000 in less than 72 hours, an amount he could only have imagined before Bachmann's remarks. It took the former state transportation commissioner a year to raise $1 million before that, and Bachmann started the campaign's critical final month with almost four times as much cash as he had.

Before Friday's "Hardball" aired, Bachmann was favored to win a second term despite being one of Minnesota's most polarizing political figures. Democrats despise Bachmann, who gained prominence by pushing a gay marriage ban while a state legislator. In the past year, she has become a regular on cable talk shows, pressing conservative views on oil drilling and other issues and vocally opposing the financial bailout.

National Democrats, sensing opportunity, announced Monday they would pour $1 million into TV ads in the district, which lies on a corridor from the Twin Cities northwest to St. Cloud.

Bachmann did not respond to a request for an interview Monday. But on Sunday, she told WCCO-TV in Minneapolis that her comments about Obama had been misread.

"I feel his views are concerning, and I'm calling on the media to investigate them," Bachmann told the station. "I'm not saying that his views are anti-American."

But video of the interview is easy to find online — and eagerly being forwarded by Democrats.

"She said what she said and her meaning could not be more clear," said state Democratic Party Chairman Brian Melendez. Bachmann lacks the temperament to serve in Congress, Melendez said.

A spokeswoman for Bachmann, Michelle Marston, said the campaign is bracing for an onslaught of attacks. Marston said Bachmann's campaign may increase its own ad-buys to counter the new money behind Tinklenberg.

"We expect that the $2 million that they want to spend now is all going to be negative," Marston said. "We have tried to run a very positive campaign."

Powell, as he endorsed Obama on Sunday, called Bachmann's remarks "nonsense" and used them as an example of negative political rhetoric that should end.

Pelosi chimed in Monday while campaigning for a Minnesota Democrat running in a different district. Bachmann's comments reflect poorly on her, Pelosi said.

"It dishonors the position that she holds and discredits her as a person," Pelosi said.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a Republican, said it was inappropriate to suggest that Obama has anti-American views, but he offered some sympathy for Bachmann's plight.

"If you do a lot of interviews, eventually you're going to say something that you wish you would have said differently," Pawlenty said at an unrelated news conference at the state Capitol. "It's just the nature of talking all day. Some words are going to come out of your mouth that you could have said better."

[ya think?]

The comments also prompted Republican Aubrey Immelman, who lost to Bachmann in the primary, to say he would wage a write-in campaign.

-----------------------------------

:lmao

I will follow this and if she loses, will gloat unrepentantly, as this is an example of how much independents and moderates really are coming to hate the discredited Republican rant about Democrats being "anti-American".

Viva Las Espuelas
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
this chick is the pelosi of the right. she looks as dense and power hungry as ol' pelosi. intelligence of both is still with the jury at this point.

PixelPusher
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Democrat Elwyn Tinklenberg said his campaign brought in $810,000 in less than 72 hours

Yes, but that was all made up of anti-american dollar bills.

JoeChalupa
10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
She sure doesn't get what America is all about.

Bartleby
10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
this chick is the pelosi of the right. she looks as dense and power hungry as ol' pelosi. intelligence of both is still with the jury at this point.

I see her as this year's George Allen.

PixelPusher
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Elwyn Tinklenberg
If her Democratic opponent didn't have a name that sounds like a fairy, she'd probably already be behind in the polls.

RandomGuy
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
She sure doesn't get what America is all about.

Only someone with anti-American views would say that.

RandomGuy
10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
If her Democratic opponent didn't have a name that sounds like a fairy, she'd probably already be behind in the polls.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

TINKLENBERG?

Aw come on...

Get a name change to something like Starkenberg or something.

Oh Democrats, why must you have names that sound so silly?

cool hand
10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
just gave $50.00

cool hand
10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.tinklenberg08.com/

RandomGuy
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
just gave $50.00 http://www.tinklenberg08.com/

Thanks for the link. I sent $10.00.

Would've given more, but I gave my monthly budgeted amount to Obama.

I hope Mr. Tinklenberg appreciates my forgoing of beer for the next 10 days.

RandomGuy
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Shameless bump.

I posted a link to Tinklenbergs campaign on the Obama national website. I got at least one other person to donate to his campaign.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

If Bachmann loses I will be insufferable.

Oh, Gee!!
10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Bump

Bachmann Tapes Apology Ad

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has taped an advertisement apologizing for her televised comments calling Barack Obama anti-American, according to a Republican source familiar with her campaign’s decision.

more here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081024/pl_politico/24576

MannyIsGod
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM

This election season has been brutal for the GOP.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Polls show the race to be a dead heat.

Oh, Gee!!
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Polls show the race to be a dead heat.

She had the deal pretty much sealed pre-Chris Matthews, no? What a shame.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I haven't seen any previous poll data, but I think that was the consensus.

RandomGuy
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen any previous poll data, but I think that was the consensus.

the very limited polling data available shows that her lead has been narrowing, but the data is VERY limited, and I would not be too confident in it.

I would be confident that her numbers have dropped a good chunk since the interview and infusion of $2M worth of negative ads against her, along with the apparent abandoning of her by the Republican party in terms of the RNC pulling ads from her district.

I can only hope that is enough to make her lose her seat.

TINKLENBURG 08

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
In separate polls taken in the past few days, Minnesota Public Radio and Survey USA had the Tinkler slightly ahead but within the margin of error.

boutons_
10-24-2008, 03:31 PM
RNC has apparently quit putting money into Bachmann's campaign, considering it a lost cause. Another one bites the dust.

Remember that dumbfucks actually voted this witch-hunting, American supremacist fascist into office, so there'e plenty of blame to go around. You get the politicians you deserve.