PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Bills Woman After 19 Hour Wait, Never Saw Doctor

George Gervin's Afro
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,442602,00.html

Hospital Bills Woman After 19 Hour Wait, Never Saw Doctor
Tuesday, October 21, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

DALLAS — A woman who never saw a doctor even though she waited 19 hours with an injured leg in Parkland Memorial Hospital's emergency department got a bill from the hospital for $162.

Amber Joy Milbrodt, who said she fractured a bone in her right leg while playing volleyball, received the bill two weeks after her Sept. 24 visit.

"It should have been more like them paying me for having to sit in the emergency room for 19 hours. That's just sad. It's not proper. It's almost not moral, what I went through," she said in a story for Monday's online edition of The Dallas Morning News.

Parkland officials say the bill was appropriate because a nurse spent time assessing Milbrodt for triage.

"She's not paying for waiting," says Rick Rhine, the hospital's vice president in charge of billing. "She's paying for the assessment she received."

The assessment, which lasted a few minutes, established her place in line that night. The hospital says one in five patients who check into Parkland's ER leaves before seeing a doctor. Those who stay long enough to see a triage nurse must pay.

It is not the first time extended waits at the hospital's ER have surfaced. A few days before Milbrodt's visit, a 58-year-old man who checked in for stomach pains waited 19 hours and then suffered cardiac arrest. Former restaurateur Mike Herrera died Sept. 20 as his family members looked on.

Hospital officials say they need more beds to handle the excessive number of patients who need care.

A plan to build a new Parkland Memorial Hospital, costing nearly $1.3 billion, is in the works. A bond election is on the Nov. 4 ballot. The proposed 862-bed hospital would give Parkland 28 percent more beds when completed in 2014.

Meanwhile, 29-year-old Milbrodt, who has no insurance, said she does not plan to pay the bill, nor does she intend to go back to Parkland. After leaving the ER, she spent a few days resting at home with her leg up and then put it in a brace, which she still wears. It seems to be healing, she said.

Obama's plan will ruin this great healthcare system....:rolleyes

boutons_
10-21-2008, 08:26 PM
dubya says all Americans already have access to health care:
"Just go to the emergency room"

Sure thing, dubya, I'll see you there, you betcha.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Obama's plan will ruin this great healthcare system....:rolleyes

She just didn't have money... who's fault is that? :rolleyes

Clandestino
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

exactly, i bet she drove there in her cadilllac with spinners after getting up from watching her cable tv

George Gervin's Afro
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Your right. She should just learn to live with a limp. Poor people don't deserve healthcare. Got it.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Your right. She should just learn to live with a limp. Poor people don't deserve healthcare. Got it.

I was actually being sarcastic. Sorry I didn't use the blue color.

George Gervin's Afro
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Well I think your post was widely accepted by many right wingers on this board.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Well I think your post was widely accepted by many right wingers on this board.

As pathetic that is. Probably the same that spew that there's nothing wrong with the quality of care.

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 08:56 PM

GGA knows that.

boutons_
10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
where does it say she's a St Ronnie Reagan Welfare Queen?

where does it say she has no money?

where does it say she has no insurance?

If you broke your leg, would you make an appointment with your usual doc for next week, or go to the ER?

Anti.Hero
10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
It's going to be really funny when that guy paying health insurance for the last 30 years has to all of a sudden schedule his life altering MRI 2 months from now when he got his last one 8 hours post-op.

Real fucking funny it'll be.

ElNono
10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
It's going to be really funny when that guy paying health insurance for the last 30 years has to all of a sudden schedule his life altering MRI 2 months from now when he got his last one 8 hours post-op.

Real fucking funny it'll be.

How so? Why would he have to wait 2 months?

Trainwreck2100
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
So getting you're pulse read, and blood pressure taken is $140, that shit's free when i give blood.